2017 Cardinals QB, RB & WR Forecast

sr7706

Registered
Reaction score
Forecast: In my latest mock i had the Cardinals taking WR/RB Curtis Samuel of Ohio St. in the 2nd round. My thinking is that having another RB/WR combo talent to go with David Johnson would be a boon for the Cardinals and would allow BA to use David Johnson more as a WR in key situations. The Cardinals have to acquire stronger, more physically capable slot WRs. Samuel looks the part to me. Whether it be Samuel or someone else, it would be a real plus for the offense to upgrade the slot WR position and adding another versatile skill player to the mix would be exciting.

The RB/WR combo player seems to be the new emerging weapon of choice for teams on offense doesn't it! My favorite in the draft is Alvin Kamara from Tennessee. 13 TD combined rushing and rec. last season in a split carry role... He is also a return man, which we desperately need and would be an absolute beast here, probably round 2.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
A return to health for John Brown would be huge for the Cards. Sign Alshon Jeffery in free agency and the WR corps is again very good. A draft guy to watch is John Ross from Washington. I think he'll slide in the draft because he's had 2 major injuries. He seems like a BA type of WR given his speed and playmaking ability.

Can't wait to see him going against Bama's secondary.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
NT:

Corey Peters---solid comeback year. The Cardinals could save $3M on the cap by releasing him, with only a 700K cap hit. Perhaps Steve Keim can get Peters to take a pay cut.

Xavier Williams---has upside and has played well at times.

DE:

Calais Campbell---big year for him in contract year. Not sure why he faded down the stretch last year. Might price himself out of AZ. Cardinals saw this coming when they drafted Robert Nkemdiche. It would be nice to see Campbell agree to a figure that both sides are happy with, but would or will he?

Rodney Gunter---great to see him make big plays versus the Seahawks after what has been a relatively quiet year for him. The Cardinals are going to need good, consistent production from him moving forward. Maybe a return to NT if they let Peters go? Has been good on STs---blocked a kick and has made plays in the goal-line defense.

Robert Nkemdiche---hopefully he becomes the DJH of next year's team. It's been a first year struggle and the Cardinals need him to fulfill his potential.

Frostee Rucker---due to injuries and perhaps age, Frostee was not his disruptive self this year. He's a good leader and it would be good to have him back as a situational DE/DT. He has never asked for too much money.

Josh Mauro---he's a restricted FA and has shown up strongly in games the past two years. Could start in Calais Campbell's spot, if Campbell bolts.

Ed Stinson---still not sure what he brings to the group. He's not a pass rusher and he's not a consistent run stopper. What will they tender him?

Olsen Pierre---was kept all year and not activated once. In the pre-season he looked like he had some inside rush ability, which the Cardinals need. Obviously the Cardinals valued him more than 5th round pick Marqui Christian, so one has to wonder what the plan is for Pierre.

ILB:

Deone Bucannon---got off to a slow start---then got hot---then got injured. While some think the Cardinals will move him over to SS, thus far there has been no indication of that from BA or SK. They like him just where he is.

Kevin Minter---the coaches like him too, although he lacks the range and speed to be a 3 down ILB.

Sio Moore---with his stellar game in Seattle, he should have earned himself a new contract with the Cardinals. He has the range and speed and flexibility as we saw on the great stops he made on Russell Wilson.

Gabe Martin---was playing well on STs before he got injured. Has cover ability---could stick.

Alani Fua---tough year due to injuries. has to make a big charge this year to retain roster spot.

Scooby Wright---has a chance to shine on STs and be a contributor on defense.

OLB:

Markus Golden---plays with a chip on his shoulder. Superb motor and instinctive, relentless pass rush rusher. Could improve versus the run where he tends to commit himself inside too early.

Chandler Jones---good to see him get back on track versus Seahawks after a 3-4 game lull. Hopefully, SK can get him signed long-term without using the f-tag.

Alex Okafor---has come on strong the last couple of games as a situational rusher. Had a rare punt block on STs. The price should be right to keep him, or so one would think. Is he in their plans? Has had injury issues.

Kareem Martin---hasn't contributed much as a pass rusher and will need to to keep his roster spot. Has been solid on STs, which helps his cause.

Tristan Okpalaugo---on IR this year. Not sure if he is in the plans or not. Was solid in the pre-season, but didn't quite flash as a pass rusher the way the coaches hoped he would. Was that because of injuries or lack of NFL ability?

CB:

Patrick Peterson---still an elite cover CB, but still a reluctant tackler and punt returner. Needs to be surrounded by tacklers on defense.

Marcus Cooper---not a press CB and gives too much cushion in off-coverage. Coaches like him, Chances are they will try to re-sign him, but likely for depth.

Brandon Williams---rough first year. Was asked to play press CB when he was clearly not ready to. Plays too stiff---maybe because of nerves and uncertainty---but despite good straight-line speed, his footwork for a CB is too slow. Again, that could be a function of nerves and over-thinking.

Justin Bethel---played one of his better games versus the Seahawks. Having a whole off-season to ready himself should determine just where he stands as a potential contributor. The team could regain 3.8M on the cap by releasing him (versus 1.5M in dead money). But, for a team that is desperate to turn things around on STs, it would be more difficult without his stellar play.

Harlan Miller---was thrown in to play FS without ever playing there in practice (making the bizarre decision to cut S Marqui Christian in order to keep 2 punters all the more regrettable), thus he really can't be blamed for the mistakes he made there versus Seattle. While he does not appear to be a press CB, he knows how to play good, solid off-coverage and he makes good breaks on the ball. Could be a keeper.

Trevon Hartfield---could make a big leap in his second year. Has very good physical attributes and was an outstanding playmaker in college.

Elie Bouka---here is the sleeper deluxe. Lost for this season to injuries, Bouka is a superb athlete who can cover, ballhawk and tackle. Plus, he has punt and kickoff return skills.

S:

Tony Jefferson---was having a Pro Bowl type season up until a couple of games ago. Hopefully his MCL injury is just a sprain. Has consistently been the best tackler and tackler for loss on the team. Plays spirited football. Will SK re-sign him or will Jefferson command more money elsewhere? Jefferson made it very clear how disappointed he was that the Cardinals low-tendered him last year. This time around, to keep him, they are going to have to pay up.

D.J. Swearinger---he's the best run forcer and middle of the field intimidator the Cardinals have had at FS for quite some time. He improved quite a bit in coverage this year, as well. Re-signing him should be somewhat of a priority.

Tyrann Mathieu---tough year for the Honey Badger. Was not able to return to any real semblance of his form. The Cardinals need him to be Comeback player of the year next year if they are going to make a run for a ring. His versatility is extraordinary. He can play and dominate at RCB, SS and slot CB.

Tyvon Branch---was signed to be the speedy, rangy cover safety, particularly on TEs and tall WRs---and yet Branch did not play as fast as advertised. Not sure if he was hampered by injuries all year long, but he needs to play much better to warrant his $4.5M salary next year. the Cardinals could save $2.8M on the cap (versus $1.8M in dead money) if they release him. Regardless, the Cardinals need to draft a good sized, speedy FS this year to play over the top in sub packages and some man on TEs and taller WRs.

STs:

Chandler Catanzaro---rough season in terms of clutch kicking. The merry-go-round with LSs and holders didn't help. Great to see him kick the GW FG versus the Seahawks. The talent is there. The consistency is still a question.

Matt Wile---he's signed through next year and thus far looks like he's a good find. Flipping the field twice in Seattle was impressive, although his last punt was not good under pressure. But, he has the leg, that's for sure. has been a good holder too.

Aaron Brewer---has had a few slightly high snaps, bit overall has been good.

I am leaving the defensive and STs forecasts up to you today---what should Steve Keim do and what players should he go after in FA and the draft?

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some notes:

Quarterback:

Cardinals are going to be looking for a quarterback of the future. Outside of the draft I could definitely see Mike Glennon coming in, but whispers around the league state that he wants to play now, so that will complicate the situation with Palmer definitely playing one more year. The dark horse, and my goodness it would be the perfect storm, Minnesota is willing to trade Teddy Bridgewater, who may not be ready for the start of next year, WHICH IS FINE WITH THE CARDINALS. The whole Sam Bradford, Adrian Peterson, and the window the Vikings have next season is going to be interesting.

Please no Teddy Bridgewater. Ceiling is game manager.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
QB
If Bridgewater is healthy the Cards would be outbid plus not a good fit for BAs system. Quick predict: if he goes to a contender they will make the playoffs. Don't be shocked if it's MN. You know my thoughts on Palmer. A good finish hasn't changed them.
RB
I want a vet backup up. I think CJ's injuries are a fluke. Can likely be signed for $700K. Do it. Try to keep Williams. That boat may have sailed, as they long ago should have signed him. Promote Penny from the PS. Sign Taylor for same money.
WR
Can't keep John Brown. The hard reality is they likely can't get his condition reliably under control. JJ has taken his spot. Draft another late round WR. I favor Golladay from NIU. Run some film. Early take a potential Fitz replacement like Williams if Foster is off the board. Golladay fits there too.
TE
Cut Niklas, he has blocker potential but can't stay healthy. Re-sign someone like Dray. If Gresham stays for the same money sign him for 2 years. He reminds me of what the Romainian BB coach said about his center a few years ago, "Strong like bull; smart like refrigerator."
OL
If Veldheer will move to RT do it. Put Humphries at LT. No choice but to stay with Iupati one more year. Sign a decent vet C. Sign a RG, preferably not one with an injury history for at least 2years. Even if this works the line will be shaky for at least 6 games.
DL
Keep Jones even if you have to tag him. Campbell will be out of the Cards' price range. Keep Rucker (unless price goes up) & Peters. Gunter got lucky against Seattle. I'm passing. NK's contract makes cutting impossible; pray for a miracle. Re-sign Mauro even though price will go up.
LB
Okafor likely costs too much to keep. Bucannon stays put. Minter can't blitz or cover. Doesn't get a deep enough drop in zone defense. I'd let him go, but Cards coaches seem to like him. He's adequate if the money is good. Foster is unlikely to last until Cards' pick. Too good a draft to give up picks to move up even for Foster.
CB
Keep PP and Cooper (decent 3rd corner). Draft a #2 corner. Can Bouka ever get heathy? Williams is a total bust. Has no corner skills! I have no idea what that scout saw. Remember I predicted this (shameless self congratulations). Fire that scout. I'm no longer available
S
Cut Branch. Jefferson will get a huge contract elsewhere. Hopefully the Cards can afford Swearinger. If TM doesn't hold up this unit is in big trouble.
ST
Cut Bethel. He hasn't played smart even when healthy. Keep Wile. Bring in a kicker to compete with a Cat. For Pete Sake draft a return man!

I guess this turned into a short story. Nothing else to do when you're retired.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Williams is a total bust. Has no corner skills! I have no idea what that scout saw. Remember I predicted this (shameless self congratulations). Fire that scout. I'm no longer available

Completely agree - although I would try shifting him to free safety - his terrible play off the line of scrimmage reminds me of Rolle, who made a good safety but wasn't a CB (no matter what he said)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson