2017 Cardinals QB, RB & WR Forecast

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB:

Carson Palmer---one has to be impressed with and encouraged by Palmer's play the last couple of games, especially playing behind a totally makeshift offensive line. He has showed poise, excellent leadership and has not made the 2-3 forced errors that have put the team into a hole. There is no question that he is the QB for 2017 and possibly for 2018 as well. It would help the team's cause if he would be amenable to reducing his projected $24M cap hit, in whatever way works for him and the team.

Drew Stanton---despite poor performances in the pre-season, Stanton did win the one game he started. He is well liked amongst the coaches and the players. Most likely he will return as the #2 QB. His cap hit is $4M. If the Cardinals elect to draft a QB early this year, that would present a conundrum for the team and Stanton. Any young potential QBOF would require as many practice and pre-season reps as possible. As we know, BA's offense is sophisticated and takes time to learn and master. Therefore, relegating a QBOF candidate to the #3 QB spot and scout team QB would be counter-productive and could delay the QBs progress another year.

Zach Dysert---word is that "The Dragon" has been impressing the coaches and his teammates. Carson Palmer was especially effusive in his praise for Dysert and the strength of his arm.

Forecast: Palmer is the clear #1. The question is whether it makes sense to draft or sign a QBOF this year or wait until 2018 when Stanton's contract expires. One possible solution might be to sign UFA QB Mike Glennon to an incentive-laden backloaded contract and then trade Stanton to a team in need of a veteran backup. Steve Keim knows Glennon well---as they are both alums of NC State. It also would be an interesting twist in the NFC West in that Glennon was the young QB the Wolfpack wanted to promote to starter, thus causing them to give Russell Wilson his release.

RB:

David Johnson---if the Cardinals were headed for the playoffs, Johnson would be at or near the top of the list for laugh MVP consideration. The "Humble Rumble" has posted an incredible 15 straight 100+ yard games (rushing + receiving)---tying a record set by Barry Sanders. that's right---Barry Sanders! Johnson's versatility is astounding and it give the Cardinals a unique opportunity to use Johnson as a WR when they wish to.

Chris Johnson---landing on the IR two seasons in a row was a bummer for CJ and the team. When healthy, he still has the blend of quicks and toughness to be a highly productive RB. Would the Cardinals be willing to give him a third contract? CJ did take less money to stay in AZ. By all accounts, he is highly regarded by his teammates. But, the one issue is, he doesn't play on STs and that's an area the Cardinals really have to address in the off-season.

Kerwynn Williams---the biggest point in Williams' favor is that he has emerged as a solid ST tackler. The Wildcat wrinkle has also boosted his stock. That, and the fact that he moved past Andre Ellington to claim the #2 RB spot. For all of the reasons above, Williams should be heavily;y in the Cardinals' plans for 2017.

Andre Ellington---losing his kickoff returner job to Brittan Golden and his #2 RB spot to Williams is the writing on the wall. ironically, in a year where Ellington is finally healthy, he has not made his presence felt. The quick feet and good hands are still there---but is the desire? One would think maybe he belongs as a slot WR. However, Ellington lacks the requisite toughness and durability to be a consistent contributor in that role. For all those reasons, it would be surprising to see the Cardinals re-sign him.

Stepfan Taylor---BA loves Taylor as a core STs player, so re-signing him at or around the veteran minimum is likely.

Elijhaa Penny---he returns with a bona fide chance to make the roster this time around. He fits the mold as a ground and pound RB, which could provide dividends for a team that is stressing the running game more and more.

Forecast: In my latest mock i had the Cardinals taking WR/RB Curtis Samuel of Ohio St. in the 2nd round. My thinking is that having another RB/WR combo talent to go with David Johnson would be a boon for the Cardinals and would allow BA to use David Johnson more as a WR in key situations. The Cardinals have to acquire stronger, more physically capable slot WRs. Samuel looks the part to me. Whether it be Samuel or someone else, it would be a real plus for the offense to upgrade the slot WR position and adding another versatile skill player to the mix would be exciting.

WR:

Larry Fitzgerald---this season has taken a toll on Fitz emotionally, but one would never know it based on his play on the field. To see him yesterday blocking Bobby Wagner right smack dab in the middle of the pile on a key third and one epitomizes Fitz's desire to win. In fact, Fitz all week spoke about how great it would be to go up to Seattle and mess up their season. The last two games, Fitz has gotten bracketed, which has allowed J.J. Nelson to come up with big catches down the field. Now that Nelson needs to be accounted for, Fitz may get more one on one coverage versus the Rams. I hope that this week's win versus the Seahawks lifted Fitz's spirits and encouraged him to return in 2017. Fitz is a legend in AZ and one might imagine he would rather retire on a more auspicious note.

J.J. Nelson---perseverance pays off. Nelson was having a superb camp---Palmer was raving about him. Then nelson got injured and had some issues with drops at one point. But, the past four weeks have been a coming out party for Nelson, whose TD bomb yesterday was electrifying. The chemistry that Palmer is building with Nelson bodes very well for the future.

John Brown---this has been a tough year for Brown in dealing with the throes of his sickle cell affliction. Other NFL players have found ways to overcome the disease and knowing John Brown he will do everything he can to to so this off-season, so that he can hit the field running in 2017. There is no question that when he is at full speed and in full focus, this offense can at times be unstoppable.

Jaron Brown---just when he was having his best year, he gets injured. Good for Steve Keim and the Cardinals to have signed him already for next year. Brown is tough. He is a clutch WR and a highly productive STs player.

Brittan Golden---there is much to like about Golden's aggressive approach and this year in recent weeks he's been showing strong improvement as a return man and as a WR. Once again, he figures to be in the mix at WR next season and perhaps this late run he is on will catapult him into the opening day roster.

Marquis Bundy---showed he could use his size to his advantage in the pre-season. Has good, soft hands. the question is whether he has the speed to gain consistent separation.

Chris Hubert---if he gets stronger and more refined in his route running, Hubert could be quite a nice surprise in 2017. He showed a knack for getting open deep during the pre-season.

Marvin Hall---PS WR from Washington who has quicks. Right now he's a long shot, but who knows?

Forecast: Whether Fitz retires or not, the Cardinals will try to add talent to the WR group. For a team that relies heavily on hot reads from a spread formation, what it needs is to add a physical slot WR. If Fitz retires it also needs to add a #1 WR. It wouldn't be surprising to see the Cardinals take a WR in the 1st round---if there is one they are especially enamored with. If not the 1st round, then likely the 2nd or 3rd.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Saw some guy named Ross wearing #16 yesterday at WR for the Cards... who is/was he??

Jeremy Ross is a journeyman veteran FA, former Cal Bear.. His best year was in 2014. He started 13 games for the Lions and went 24/314/13.1/1 TD with two long catches, both of 57 yards.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
OL:

Jared Veldheer---dropped some weight this year and was solid (still not quite as good as we was three years ago) until he got injured and placed on the IR. The big questions are: (1) will BA flip-flop him and DJH and thereby move Veldheer to RT?; (2) with John Wetzel's emergence as a viable, run-mauling RT, would it prompt the Cardinals to listen to trade offers for Veldheer?

Mike Iupati---gotta love the way he shows up every week, injured or not. He still is one of the best run blocking LGs in the game and with David Johnson in the backfield, that remains a real plus. He still needs to be more consistent in pass protection and in picking up the blitz or switching on loop stunts. But this guy earns his paycheck through hard work and dedication.

A.Q. Shipley---he worked and played hard all season, despite some physical limitations. While he doesn't appear to be a long-term starter, he could be good to keep in the mix, unless a FA C like Brian Schwanke (TEN), J.C Trotter (GB) or Joe Hawley (TB) signs with AZ.

Earl Watford---the Swiss Army knife was used a good deal this year and with some mixed results. No one can question the effort and passion, but his techniques and pad levels remain inconsistent. Not sure what salary he will merit on the FA market, but if the price is right, he could be a valuable utility backup again.

D.J. Humphries---this season was a success overall for DJH. It was very promising to see him slide over to LT and play his best games there. LT is his natural position. His confidence is on the rise and there's a good chance he could take his game to a higher level in 2017.

John Wetzel---if you looked closely at his blocking yesterday, particularly in the running game, it was as good as we have seen from any tackle this year. The seal he got off his quick pull on the sweep left was textbook. And in short yardage situations, particularly on the goal-line, he was dominant. he still has to anchor more quickly on his fan blocks, but his hand placements are much improved.

Taylor Boggs---had some rough moments in his first two starts, particularly getting out-quicked in the A and B gaps, but he for the most part played solid at RG. He can play center in a pinch as well, so his versatility is a plus, particularly if the team is unable to re-sign Earl Watford.

Evan Boehm---after a rough start filling in for Taylor Boggs, Boehm settled down and even showed some savvy in offering help blocks in pass pro when they were needed. BA is loath to change centers during the season---so it may not be that much of a concern that Boehm hasn't gotten the nod over Shipley. But, heading into camp next year Boehm figures to be in line to win the starting center job, that is, unless a FA center is signed.

Cole Toner---what a fine debut at fullback when he iso-ed on Bobby Wagner on the goal-line and stuffed him. BA says he has to get stronger---thus this is a big off-season for Toner, who is capable of playing every spot on the offensive line, save for LT. Toner's play in the pre-season at guard was surprisingly good. He has upside and shows a very good understanding of technique and leverage.

Ulrich John---here is another young player who needs to get stronger, because if he can match his good feet with a stronger punch and upper body, he could become a solid starter at some point. Good Keim pickup off of the Dolphins' PS.

Givens Price---he's much in the same mold as Ulrich John. Has good athleticism for his size, but needs to add strength and technique polish.

Kaleb Johnson---PS G 6-4, 300 from Rutgers.

Aaron Epps---PS T 6-6, 305, Louisville.

Forecast: Steve Keim has assembled some respectable young depth on the offensive line. Adding a veteran C and or RG might be wise at this point. Aside form the 3 UFA centers mentioned previously, the UFA guards that look like a possible match are Austin Pasztor (CLE), T.J. Lang (GB), Hugh Thornton (IND) and Dallas Thomas (MIA). Larry Warford (DET) might be too pricey, but, if not, would be a great signing.

TE:

Jermaine Gresham---has gotten himself into the beast mode the last few weeks which has been very good for his production, but costly on two occasions where he cost the team possible points for committing foolish penalties. His rapport with Carson Palmer is key and thus it is very likely he will re-sign to stay in AZ.

Darren Fells---lost some weight and was having a superb training camp, but due to some nagging injuries he has had a very quiet year. However, the coaches like him and he is on the verge of having a breakout year if he can stay healthy. He's a RFA, but he shouldn't command much more than the minimum at this point. 2017 is big year for him.

Hakeem Valles---has been contributing on STs and as a situational TE in the offense. Has very good athleticism and could develop nicely in time.

Troy Niklas---had one good game in pre-season, tailed off some and then got injured yet again. He has a good rapport with Carson Palmer, but will Steve Keim stick with him?

Ifeanyi Momah---talk about often injured---this poor guy can't catch a break. But he was very good on STs before the injury and it is quite possible that he will get another good chance to make the roster in 2017, if they decide to stick with him.

Brian Leonhardt---PS TE 6-5, 255 Bemidji St.

Forecast:

Re-signing Gresham and Fells would be a good start. Adding another TE in the draft is looking like a good idea. My top three favorite UFA TEs are: Gavin Escobar (DAL); Tim Wright (DET) and Luke Wilson (SEA). Jordan Cameron (MIA) and Larry Donnell (NYG) might be a little too pricey. Two sleepers might be Jacob Tamme (TB) and Mychal Rivera (OAK).

Last edited:

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Jared Veldheer---... (2) with John Wetzel's emergence as a viable, run-mauling RT, would it prompt the Cardinals to listen to trade offers for Veldheer?

No way - Wetzel is ok as a backup, nothing more. He isn't very good at guard and gets beat at tackle in pass protection - why downgrade? You have Ulrich John for another year to see if he can continue to develop, so keep Humphries, Veldheer (maybe RT) and John (backup) to protect Palmer and see what is necessary in 2018.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Mitch,

In rugby it is a common practice to give out nicknames, it is part of the culture. So, I arrogantly say, I am a good judge of them. With all due respect, usually your nicknames are pretty lame, its OK, its hard to do, and your writing is your forte'

YET....YET.

I have admit, "The Humble Rumble" is a good one. Its got my vote.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Some notes:

Quarterback:

Cardinals are going to be looking for a quarterback of the future. Outside of the draft I could definitely see Mike Glennon coming in, but whispers around the league state that he wants to play now, so that will complicate the situation with Palmer definitely playing one more year. The dark horse, and my goodness it would be the perfect storm, Minnesota is willing to trade Teddy Bridgewater, who may not be ready for the start of next year, WHICH IS FINE WITH THE CARDINALS. The whole Sam Bradford, Adrian Peterson, and the window the Vikings have next season is going to be interesting.

Running Back:

I doubt it will come about, but who doesn't want to see what a 6'2" 247lbs back can do in a passing league like the NFL. Kerwynn Williams has made his roster spot, Taylor will be back as a special teams guy. You would think a veteran player would be brought back, and while Chris Johnson doesn't play special team, he is very good pass blocker. You would think the Cardinals would want to bring in a vet RB, as that seems to be Arians preferred route since he has done it every year he has been in AZ.

Wide Receiver:

Between JJ Nelson, John Brown, and Jaron Brown something has to give. JJ Nelson's second half of this season has been something you cannot ignore. Yeah, Nelson has average hands, but he is making HUGE plays. I have a feeling Fitzgerald will be back for one more year, and really, the Cardinals are going to need to replace Floyd's role more than his production. A big bodied possession receiver is going to be needed, and dare I say, that is it. At the low point of this season, it almost looked like the receiver position needs a huge overhaul. That being said, IF John Brown comes back, then Brown, Brown, Nelson, and Fitzgerald is a very good receiving core. Now you add a big bodied receiver to play on the outside in the draft or free agency.

Tight End:

Its the same risk the Cardinals will have to analyze as with the wide receivers. Do you call the 2016 season an aberration? Gresham and Fells should be good enough for this offense. Fells? Fell off the map. Momah is all hype at his point since he is oft-injured. This is a position where the Cardinals really have some tough choices to make, and you can argue for either side.

Offensive Line:

Extremely tough to find offensive line talent these days in the NFL: Veldheer, Iupati, and Humphries are your core to your line. Wetzel played very well this year, and Boehm should he has some promise. That is half your offensive line, and SHOULD take care of your two game day backups. The story now is RG, and OC. Which are usually pretty inexpensive positions. Top of my Free agent wish list is Larry Warford, G currently on the Lions. I like JC Tretter at OC as well.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Some notes:

Offensive Line:

Extremely tough to find offensive line talent these days in the NFL: Veldheer, Iupati, and Humphries are your core to your line. Wetzel played very well this year, and Boehm should he has some promise. That is half your offensive line, and SHOULD take care of your two game day backups. The story now is RG, and OC. Which are usually pretty inexpensive positions. Top of my Free agent wish list is Larry Warford, G currently on the Lions. I like JC Tretter at OC as well.

I think Boehm will be fine at Center - he has played it all through college, BA said he is a center, not a guard, yet he played decently at guard yesterday. He wasn't going to beat out Shipley as a rookie at center, but like Humphries, I think he will be fine next year. That really only leaves RG, probably a vet pickup. We have Toner and John next year as potential backups and Wetzel isn't signed.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Mitch these are a few guys I like in the draft.
QB Mitch Tribisky first round. He's the only QB I would take in the first.

RB- I would like us to take Donnell Pumphrey in the third round. Great speed and shiftiness. Is really good catching passes out of the backfield. Is the same back as DJ without the power. He would be the lightning to DJs thunder. I think he would be everything that we hoped Ellington would have become.

WR Corey Davis looks really good. Reminds me of a faster Boldin. I think we would have to trade back into the late first round to get him but I think it would be worth it.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch,

In rugby it is a common practice to give out nicknames, it is part of the culture. So, I arrogantly say, I am a good judge of them. With all due respect, usually your nicknames are pretty lame, its OK, its hard to do, and your writing is your forte'

YET....YET.

The Humble Rumble has been going around---it didn't come from me---although, like you, I think it's a good fit.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
I think Boehm will be fine at Center - he has played it all through college, BA said he is a center, not a guard, yet he played decently at guard yesterday. He wasn't going to beat out Shipley as a rookie at center, but like Humphries, I think he will be fine next year. That really only leaves RG, probably a vet pickup. We have Toner and John next year as potential backups and Wetzel isn't signed.

The Cardinals have Wetzel's rights for a couple of more years.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Getting the OL right has to be a big priority. I agree that they have enough young talent. They need DURABLE Veteran Starter quality at Center and RG. I didn't think Veldheer was anything special early on. He's had his difficulties with speed on the outside. I'd like to see him at RT in TC.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Andre Ellington- "One would think maybe he belongs as a slot WR. However, Ellington lacks the requisite toughness and durability to be a consistent contributor in that role"
What? I guess if you saw Nelson, Brown or Fitzgerald attempt to play running back, you make that same assumption about them being tough enough to play the slot due to their inability to take hits playing running back? You lost me on that one Mitch, I think being a slot WR is where the kid belongs

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see how Ellington or Niklas are on the roster next year.. but there's a lot of things I don't get either.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Andre Ellington- "One would think maybe he belongs as a slot WR. However, Ellington lacks the requisite toughness and durability to be a consistent contributor in that role"
What? I guess if you saw Nelson, Brown or Fitzgerald attempt to play running back, you make that same assumption about them being tough enough to play the slot due to their inability to take hits playing running back? You lost me on that one Mitch, I think being a slot WR is where the kid belongs

Nelson and Brown are not slot WRs---they can't take the pounding. Fitz is now one of the top slot WRs in the NFL. Ellington can't take the pounding. He's good for a play or two, but that's about it. The Pats have a small fast RB in Dion Lewis---he doesn't take a dive before first contact. Neither does Kerwynn Williams. Look at slot WR Julian Edelman. Look at the Saints' slot WR Willie Snead. Those guys are tough, man. That's what the Cardinals need to compliment Fitz on the other side. Nelson and Brown can stay wide and continue to be go-route, out, post, back shoulder or comeback threats.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Nelson and Brown are not slot WRs---they can't take the pounding. Fitz is now one of the top slot WRs in the NFL. Ellington can't take the pounding. He's good for a play or two, but that's about it. The Pats have a small fast RB in Dion Lewis---he doesn't take a dive before first contact. Neither does Kerwynn Williams. Look at slot WR Julian Edelman. Look at the Saints' slot WR Willie Snead. Those guys are tough, man. That's what the Cardinals need to compliment Fitz on the other side. Nelson and Brown can stay wide and continue to be go-route, out, post, back shoulder or comeback threats.

Mitch, I have still seen Ellington go into the pile and take hits but that gets completely ignored when he does because we have blinders for when he does not. My point is this, the role he has been playing where you are basing your idea on toughness is completely different from the slot position. Yes, those guys get hit but they do not get hit even remotely like they used to with the new rules. As a running back yes, as a slot WR you are stretching an assumption in my opinion

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
No way would we trade our best OLineman in Veldheer,

Veldheer's play has been on the slight decline for two years now. Don't get me wrong---he's still a good player. But, if they like Wetzel at RT (and Ulrich John as the swing tackle) maybe it's worth seeing what they could get in a trade. Veldheer may not want to switch to RT. But, it looks like DJH has the stronger upside there.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Mitch, I have still seen Ellington go into the pile and take hits but that gets completely ignored when he does because we have blinders for when he does not. My point is this, the role he has been playing where you are basing your idea on toughness is completely different from the slot position. Yes, those guys get hit but they do not get hit even remotely like they used to with the new rules. As a running back yes, as a slot WR you are stretching an assumption in my opinion

Why didn't Ellington run hard as the kickoff returner? Playing the slot is like being a return man, bodies coming at you at full speed left and right.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's tough to reshape a roster when you don't know who might leave you, whom you can bring aboard and who a BPA draft approach might land. Another variable is how much you expect the guys you've already got to develop. Another is the expected durability of existing Cardinal players.

That said, my wish list in order of priority is (1) another lockdown corner, (2) a QBOF, (3) big, dominant wideout, (4) a multi-talented TE, (5) another ILB to push or replace Minter and S Moore, (6) more elite OL talent.

Because injuries can render a deep position tissue-paper thin, I'll opt for a BPA approach, let the chips fall where they may and give the odds a maximum shot at working in our favor.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch,

YET....YET.

How about "Jump cut Johnson"?

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Mitch is it me or does Watford look better at RT than at OG. I thought so last year & he played well again yesterday. Maybe that's the position he thrives. Hmmmm

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mitch is it me or does Watford look better at RT than at OG. I thought so last year & he played well again yesterday. Maybe that's the position he thrives. Hmmmm

Agreed. Thought he was at least ok last year when Massie was suspended.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Nice write up. I think it's finally time to stop treating Kerwynn like a 2am ********** and just keep him on the 53 man roster. Ellington is expendable and I don't think CJ gets asked back. I also don't think this team drafts a RB if it brings back Williams, Penny, and Taylor, unless Pumphrey somehow falls into the 6th round.