2014 Arizona Wildcat Football

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Fiesta was never really an option for ASU and UA. No travel revenue into the Valley. Winner was likely going to Cotton Bowl assuming playoff doesn't happen.

LSU has been to the Sugar Bowl a handful of times, and the Florida schools have also gone to the Orange Bowl a number of times. Plus, many out of state fans would travel to Phoenix to watch the Cats.

It's hard to get into the Fiesta Bowl committee's head because the two Arizona schools haven't been good enough recently to even be able to choose one or the other. We'll see.

TimurT1990

Rookie
Reaction score
No we don't. The Rose Bowl is part of the playoff system this year; therefore, the only way to get to the Rose Bowl is to win against Oregon and have chaos ensue for the teams ahead of us to get into that Top 4.

We do, however, have a solid chance at either the Fiesta or Cotton bowls, both of which are considered top-tier bowls.

Huh, now I'm all confused. Thanks for setting the record straight.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
LSU has been to the Sugar Bowl a handful of times, and the Florida schools have also gone to the Orange Bowl a number of times. Plus, many out of state fans would travel to Phoenix to watch the Cats.

It's hard to get into the Fiesta Bowl committee's head because the two Arizona schools haven't been good enough recently to even be able to choose one or the other. We'll see.
Very doubtful but Byrne will do his best.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Some media experts are saying the winner of the Cats/Ducks game will be in the final four. I know it's going to take an unbelievable effort to beat Oregon, but I can't believe the UofA could be in the final four of football this year.

Also, congrats to Scooby for being the defensive POY. He is only a sophomore and will only get better in the next two years. Plus, big congrats to Rich Rod for being named Coach of the Year. On the same day he won that award, Michigan fired Brady Hoke.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. He's gonna shred up the Wildcats Friday too. He has a healthy line unlike he had earlier in the season when they played AZ. Entirely different Oregon team than the last time they played. Best of luck.... I'll be stress free until Sunday because I'll be doing the same thing as ASU on Friday.....NOTHING! :p

I don't particularly care who wins but unless things change dramatically by Friday it's going to be a VERY wet field, I think Oregon's speed and flash game is going to be muted a bit by the weather.

It has been raining 4 of the last 5 days, 3 of them pretty hard and was pouring overnight. I live about 3 blocks from the stadium, they don't really know yet how that field drains, my guess is they'll find out Friday.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weather update, it has been pouring all day. Supposed to rain thur and Fri although not as hard as today. With no rain until recently the ground was dry so there's all sorts of flooding and pooling issues. I haven't heard yet what shape the new stadium is in but I'm expecting some issues with all the rain.

They are on like their 4th grass already due to issues so should be interesting.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
UA did well enough in the slop at Utah.

I would think rain is a distinct advantage to UA because Oregon is built on speed and wet fields tend to slow people down.

Of course it also depends on the QB, I have no idea if Mariotta or Solomon have problems throwing in the rain or not.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
What kind of sucks for UA is that they could win the Pac12 and still not play in a Rose Bowl. Win or lose they are probably going to be in the Fiesta Bowl and have to play Boise State.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Kids aren't ready for the moment.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is Grant playing tonight??

He played. Evidently charges of driving under the influence of drugs, minor in possession of spirituous liquor, person under 21 in physical control of a motor vehicle with spirituous liquor, and driving without a valid operator’s license --- not a big deal to Rich Rod (or college football in general). I am sure the university will come out and say "We followed the NCAA guidelines and he did not start the game." With that kind of slap on the wrist...start the countdown until he or another player breaks the law with no fear of any real consequences.

I'd say the same if he played for my team. No patience for crap like this.

AzFan13

Reaction score
Love Scooby. One funny part of the game. They put up at state that showed Oregon leads all teams in scoring at Live stadium. Yup even the 9ers. 9ers 98 in 6 games. Oregon 110 in 2 games.

We can beat the 9ers.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Nonsense, last night was a talent issue. We're not there yet compared to Oregon but neither is every other team in the country not named Alabama.

Of course, that's a given, but it also looked like guys were just ill-prepared and/or caught up in the moment. Anu made some awful decisions with the ball andWilson couldn't get a spark. Johnson with the fumble looked like he wasn't paying attention to the ball in his hand.

The talent gap was in the o-line. Again, could not get a push upfront. Funny that our worst games of the season have been when the line gets worked (USC, UW, UCLA and last night). Most of those guys are Stoops leftovers from when he mailed it in on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson