2014 Arizona Wildcat Football

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
No discussion up on this yet, but lot's of things going on.

First on everyone's mind is the QB competition. It's tough to predict who will start game 1 against UNLV. I've heard too many different things to ascertain who that will be. The only conclusion that I've come to is it won't be Connor Brewer because he is limited athletically compared to Randall, Solomon, and Scroggins. The consensus is despite the uncertainty at the position, we are in much better shape than last year. All four are much better passers than Denker, which is needed because we have arguably the best WR corp in all of college football. Fortunately, RichRod has forgotten more about QB development than I've ever known, so whomever earns the spot will get my support.

People are going to point to Carey's absence from the team and quickly conclude that the offense will regress. Not the case. The offense will look different and probably put up more points. Last season, the pass:run ratio was 37%:63%. With the number of passers and quality wideouts on the roster, that ratio will tip the other way. There will also be a lot of jet sweeps and screens with Davonte Neal and TJ Johnson.

Defense, the secondary is loaded, especially with Bondo back on the team and McKnight healthy. Will Parks is going to make a name for himself, too. My only concern is defensive line. The strongest guy on the line is a true freshman and there's not much depth. Sani Fuimaono was supposed to help in that department after coming home from his mission, but he broke his foot and will be out a while.

Should be a fun season. This is the most talented team RichRod has had in Tucson thus far.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
- QB is going to be Solomon. Randall maybe gets spot action mixing it up on zone read goal line stuff.

- Offense will be fine, that will basically always be the case with any RR team

- With the defense who knows. I don't see much talent in the front seven though which usually doesn't bode well.

- I'm calling 7/8 regular season wins.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
The coaches want Solomon to win the job. He would solidify the position for 3-4 years. Randall would only be 2 and Scroggins leaves after this year. RichRod doesn't want to do this every season.

Solomon didn't have a good spring per reports, but his summer had been much better. Randall is by far the best athlete of the four in contention and regardless, will play a role in this offense one way or the other.

Last edited:

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Anu has been a little up and down so far, but looking good. Whole team looks good one quarter in.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anu came out a little anxious it seemed. Since he has calmed down, he looks much better..

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Had Anu not had the jitters, he'd have 5 TD passes already.

Either way, Anu has 3 TDs. Denker didn't have 3 TDs until Oct 10th against USC.

Last edited:

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rich Rod has the cats playing tonight. They look pretty damn good. Soloman looking like he will be turning some heads this year. Good to see. I know unlv is really bad, but still very, very impressed with the Wildcats tonight.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Solomon still needs to get in better rhythm with his wideouts, but yeah, can't beat the best Freshman game in school history.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Solomon still needs to get in better rhythm with his wideouts, but yeah, can't beat the best Freshman game in school history.

Also, the most total yards by an Arizona offense in a single game. The talent and depth at the receiving position is ridiculous.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wasn't the prettiest of games, but we got the W. Anu looked a little shaky. He is still young. But always good when your on the road and get the W when your QB wasn't at his best.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wasn't the prettiest of games, but we got the W. Anu looked a little shaky. He is still young. But always good when your on the road and get the W when your QB wasn't at his best.

I'd be worried; barely beating UTSA is not a good omen for how U of A will play against PAC 12 schools.

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be worried; barely beating UTSA is not a good omen for how U of A will play against PAC 12 schools.

UTSA isnt your average lower tier team, yet. They are a brand new football school led by Larry Coker. They haven't figured out from their small history that they are going to lose a lot to top tier schools. They think they can still do it. But at the end of the game, it showed thru..

Iceman

Administrator
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, UTSA is no push over. Especially at home. That will be a pretty good program in the next few years. Coker is the man and knows how to win...

HooverDam

Reaction score
It really felt like UofA was going to blow it at the end there and UTSA was going to march down the field w/ 2 minutes left. I can't believe that bone headed shovel pass by the UTSA QB. As he threw it I shouted "noooooo!"

He must be either pretty slow or an unconfident runner, because he couldve just scrabbled for 5 yards on that play and been in much better shape.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Predictable responses by ASU fans. Glad someone like Iceman knows who UTSA actually is.

Was it a quality win? No. Am I satisfied with the way we played. No? Did we win the game? Yes.

Watch the tape, take advantage of 9 days off, and play better against Nevada. Simple.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Also, I think UofA already proved it can annihilate inferior competition (UNLV), since that seems to be the only metric for success in football.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

It really doesn't mean anything. Stanford struggled with Army last year. How'd their season turn out? Pretty much everything I thought about us going into the season (freshman QB ups and downs and still fielding an average at best defense) turned out to be true but I knew that months ago. We'll still win 7-8 games.

UTSA isn't that good either by the way. They'll probably go 8-4 at best in Conference USA.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
A 55% completion percentage is pretty unacceptable in this offense to be honest. Denker couldn't throw to the right side of the field and hit on 61%. Solomon needs to learn to hit on slants and seam routes. Everything can't be outside.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
A 55% completion percentage is pretty unacceptable in this offense to be honest. Denker couldn't throw to the right side of the field and hit on 61%. Solomon needs to learn to hit on slants and seam routes. Everything can't be outside.

Anu needs to at least be in the 60s to be successful. Denker was able to accomplish that feat with all those dinks, dunks, and weird-looking bootlegs. I think he'll learn to hit slants and seams eventually. He's not on point with all of his receivers, mainly Hill and Neal (largely because Neal has been injured). Anu will be fine eventually. Next two games are at home against mediocre teams. I trust RichRod that he'll work it out.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Some perspective:

#19 Nebraska was a 33pt favorite at home against McNeese st. and won by a TD in the last minute of the game.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
It really doesn't mean anything. Stanford struggled with Army last year. How'd their season turn out? Pretty much everything I thought about us going into the season (freshman QB ups and downs and still fielding an average at best defense) turned out to be true but I knew that months ago. We'll still win 7-8 games.

UTSA isn't that good either by the way. They'll probably go 8-4 at best in Conference USA.

UTSA is a quality football team. I'd trade Texas' players for theirs right now. 18 5th year seniors. They'll probably win Conference USA. Only thing holding them back is a young QB. Houston on the road, Arizona, Oklahoma State on the road. You gotta love a team with huevos like that. New Mexico will seem like a high school team after those 3 games.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Soooo.....who wants to see another 49-48 nail-biter like in the NM Bowl two years ago?

Fajardo is still their QB. Legit DT-QB, but Nevada's receivers are awful, so we'll have to contain the run game.

OP
OP
TJ

TJ

Reaction score
Nevada did an excellent job playing keep-away. 3 of their drives took up 23 minutes of the game. Secondary looked lost. That HAS to get better next week.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson