2012 New Year Offseason Preview

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Since I had a week long vacation, one of the things I wanted to do with my week off is to do a run down of the current roster, with a preview of the offseason.

Introduction:
You must be registered for see images

This was a weird season for me personally. I really was angry and disgusted with the lockout, and then with the Cardinals and their inability to spend money to the cap and complete a team personnel wise. Not to mention personal stuff outside of football that effected my involvement in football, yada, yada, yada. But, I will give it to the Cardinals, ala John Skelton when I was ready to be done with the whole situation, they came together and made one heck of an exciting, competitive team that you wanted to root for. Players stepped up, and showed they can be exciting, and give hope. Two very valuable things to a football franchise. Entertainment (excitement), and suspense (hope).

The end of this season gave most of us, some hope, and some excitement going into this offseason. Furthermore, it has been almost 2 years since the NFL, and its fans have had a normal offseason. So, thus why I am WAY, WAY ahead of myself and the league with looking to the offseason. But, I digress…….

Coaching:
You must be registered for see images attach

Whiz, Grimm, and Miller will all be back. While I commend these three for sticking with their team, making some small needed changes, and toughing through a very discouraging season offensively, they all need to do better. I was not one to praise Whiz a couple of weeks ago, and I am not about to do so here. Personally, as a fan, I am tired of having a poor offensive line with Russ Grimm, and I am tired of having under developed, and under achieving QB’s with Whiz. I truly think Whiz is oblivious to how breakdown and find a NFL QB for his system, let alone develop one. The track record has proven this. Whiz has yet to bring in a QB, that he chose, that has consistently shown he can get the job done in all phases. To say I am concerned is to go back a year, because at this point I am just fed up. Grimm? LOL. The offensive line is a joke, but I will say this. There is an opportunity to get this unit to where it can be at least stable. The concern is if this organization believes in Grimm so much, why I would not understand, that they will believe that the line is good with what we have. :shudder: At this point, I will take ½ of the offense, meaning, I will take a good pass blocking or good run blocking line. But, it needs to do one phase well, so the offense has something, anything, to lean on. Miller ? He is a joke. The Cardinals need a better O.C.

Ray Horton. The obvious thing about Horton is that he coaches and uses players for who they are. He fits his system to what he has personnel wise. That is not even mentioning his ability to generate some sort of pass rush, or his development of our younger players like Acho, Schofield, Peterson, and Washington. The job he has done with our secondary has been phenomenal. Did he really have a secondary of Patrick Peterson, Richard Marshall, Adrian Wilson, and Rashad Johnson, and shut down offenses with it ? Did he really ? “He coached the Cardinal out of them”. Yes, yes he did. No more arms flailing while facing the WR, and hoping the ball hits the defender in the back of the head. These players have been using good technique, and making plays on the ball. In my opinion, our team is currently “more complete” defensively, and I think the focus of the offseason is to try and complete the defense. No problems with what Ray Horton is doing, and that shouldn’t be too hard for the front office to do, since there is not much missing from the defense in the first place.

On a final note, as stated above, there was an issue of giving Whiz some praise recently. There is no doubt, that the way the Cardinals finished the season was impressive. If praise should be given to Whiz for this season, it is that he has developed a heck of a defense here in the desert. Whomever is, and however they are analyzing talent for the defense, it is working very well. I praise Whiz for how he has built this current defense. The starters (if they re-sign Campbell) on this defense are pretty talented, and the defense is good. The defense is so good, it can carry an offense.

Quarterback:

I think this team is built to play and be competitive without having to rely solely on the QB. In other words the team surrounding our QB position is much better than it was in years past. The QB just has to be a solid game manager, ala Alex Smith, for the Cardinals to be competitive, and challenge for the playoffs.

We have months to debate, John Skelton, and Kevin Kolb. Of course the biggest story right now is Kevin Kolb’s concussion symptoms and problems. He has not played for over a month. There is no certainty when he will come back, and how long he can stay active when he does. [Take it from a Pittsburgh Penguins hockey fan on this, you NEVER know.] Obviously, if Kolb is done for good we are in a bad place. John Skelton has promise, but he is just starting out, and is a question mark.

An “off-topic” sidenote, I want to make about the QB situation is that I feel this team is “good enough” right now outside of the QB position, that the Cardinals could go all in on a QB. It is not exactly what I would personally do, but I could get behind selling the farm to get Andrew Luck or even Peyton Manning. With Andrew Luck, you are giving up a lot of draft picks this year, and the next. With Peyton Manning you are giving up any thought of signing any other free agent this year, or for a few years that is not a UDFA. Luck is of course a bigger risk but for a franchise QB for the next 15 years, it could be worth it. Manning = Playoffs for 3 yrs. And with Larry Fitzgerald, Beanie Wells, and a good defense ? You never know.

Coming back to earth and reality, Kolb will probably be around next year, and will be penciled in as the starter. Personally, I don’t agree, because I think the money could be better spent elsewhere, but Kolb will be back in my opinion. Kevin Kolb has a massive amount of questions. Kolb had a short offseason, played poorly while in as the starter, was hurt, and then concussed. Kolb is currently concussed, and went into the offseason in this condition. Yet, Kolb has the work ethic, the drive, and the ability to be a QB. He must fix his footwork, his poise, and his accuracy. I have no problem what so ever if the Cardinals bring Kolb back, even if I don’t agree with it. It makes sense, and I would be happy if Kolb became a solid starter (ala Matt Schaub) in the NFL.

John Skelton (aka Double Deuce), LOL, I think it is obvious that I like John Skelton. You have to admit he makes the game interesting. I like his size, I like his poise, and I like his potential. While Skelton has had some of the more horrific, and awful starts I have ever seen in my life. “That’s my teammate……that’s my QB” :sniffle: What I like about Skelton is that he can make big time, big pressure, NFL throws. He has had some of the prettiest passes I have seen in the NFL. He works a vertical passing game, and has the confidence to make any throw asked of him. Still, he shows he is a “5th round pick from Fordham” and that he is very raw. At age 23 and with 2 years left on his contract, the question for the Cardinals is, are they going to develop Skelton or not?

For me, this team is too close to being a playoff team to fool around at QB. Kolb has ability, but health questions. Skelton has questions about whether he can fulfill his potential, and whether his ability to close games will be consistent or a flash in the pan. I personally would bring in a re-tread QB to Arizona. I don’t think the Cardinals will be thinking the same way, and that is scary. What if Kolb can’t come back, or is hit the first game and is done? What Skelton then comes in, and is horrific, and I mean 18 QB rating for 4 quarters horrific? Rich Bartell? Please, please no. My retread QB, is Byron Leftwich. I think Leftwich has enough in the tank to give a year or two of stable QB play to a team. Furthermore, for the role, and the price that the Cardinals are looking for, it would be a nice fit, in my opinion.

Action: Sign Byron Leftwich to a 2 yr deal.

2012 QB Core:
1- Kevin Kolb – (5)
2- Byron Leftwich – (2)*
3- John Skelton – (2)

Runningback:

All and all, I am fine with our running back core. With a healthy Ryan Williams, I believe the Cardinals have what they need to run the ball. Beanie Wells can obviously carry the load, and make things happen. Williams will hopefully provide a little rest for Beanie, and LSH can keep playing his role.

A thousand yards rushing, is not what it used to be, but in the modern day NFL is it back to being a significant number, but for different reasons than in the past. The NFL is a “pass happy” league, and for Beanie Wells to obtain 1,000 yards rushing in a season where he has been hurt, where the team has been playing behind, and while running behind a very sub-average offensive line, it is quite an accomplishment.

The biggest question this offseason will be if Ryan Williams can come back from his horrible injury. We need a #2 back, and with Williams coming back from a bad injury, a #2 position will suit him well next season. I personally think he will come back, and be a solid #2 for the Cardinals.

LaRod Stephens-Howling is one of those role players that can be more valuable to a team then what the numbers, and the amount of touches he gets indicates. LSH is a big play type of player, and has shown the ability to take it to the house on special teams, or out of the backfield as a running back. Being a restricted free agent makes re-signing him for next year a cinch. A 3rd round tender should do it, but using an even higher one wouldn’t bother me in the least. The new kickoff rule lessened his kickoff return value, but he showed in the season finale that he can handle the load need be. He fits the role of a “chang of pace back” extremely well for this team.

Finally, Alfonso Smith, in my opinion, is a perfect 4th running back. He is adequate in running the ball, and pass blocking. He has great speed, and plays special teams. When people say “he’s a north-south” runner, they mean a player runs like Smith. Smith hits the hole, and goes straight up field. I don’t think I have ever seen him even try to make a move. Fine with me.

Action: Re-sign LaRod Stephens-Howling to a RFA tender, re-sign Alfonso Smith to a 1yr deal.

2012 RB Core:
1- Chris “Beanie” Wells – (2)
2- Ryan Williams – (3)
3- LaRod Stephens-Howling – (1)*
4 – Alfonso Smith – (1)*

Wide Reciever:

This organization better start running the ball more effectively next year. When you look at where the talent is, it is at running back. Long gone are the days of the high flying aerial attack in Arizona. The receiver cupboard is a bare. Sorry it is. We have Larry Fitzgerald, and ____? Andre Roberts, Early Doucet, Chansi Stuckey, DeMarco Sampson, and Stephen Williams are dime a dozen wide receivers in my opinion. Furthermore, out of who we have at WR, they are all slot type receivers (except for Williams who is just not good enough), and when any of them are put on the outside they all seem to have problems getting off the line. While Roberts, and Doucet show glimpses of being a #2 it is never consistent, and always seem to do something in a clutch situation to make you wish for another wide receiver.

Looking back it was a very poor decision to not go out and get a solid #2 NFL WR this previous offseason, especially, when there was a good choice of players to choose from. Hopefully the Cardinals learn from this mistake and bring in someone that can play on the other side of the field.

Larry Fitzgerald needs no breakdown, the man IS our passing game. I agree with the few statements I have read that this was his best year. Throw the numbers out the window, he single handedly won us a good number of games this year, with catches only he could make. Fitz is worth every penny we pay him.

I would be fine with Andre Roberts as our #3 slot WR. Roberts has the ability to make a play here and there, and will block. I would be fine with Chansi Stuckey and DeMarco Sampson as our #4 and #5 wide receivers as well. Of course if we pick up some receivers that beat Stuckey and Sampson out for their spots I will not complain. They both have not shown much, but what do you really need from your 4th and 5th WR when you have TE’s that can play better and do more? With hope, maybe the Cardinals can find a late round pick with some serious speed, that is very raw.

I don’t think this team needs the type of receivers it once had (i.e. Boldin & Breaston), but it is missing a big piece to the offense. The Cardinals need another big body receiver out there, or as the media labels them “possession receiver”. A receiver that uses his body to “box out” defenders and make catches in coverage. There is a chance that when the Cardinals pick in the first round that a receiver will be the BPA, but there should be an interesting prospect available with the Cardinals 3rd round pick in Tommy Streeter. The kid has very good size, and could develop into the #2 or outside receiver that the Cardinals are lacking right now. On a side note: Expect Limas Sweed in camp next offseason. If the Cardinals add that big body to the offensive I can see that being a enough to improve this offense just enough to have more extended drives (ala more 3rd down conversions).

Action: Draft Tommy Streeter in 3rd round.

2012 WR Core:
1- Larry Fitzgerald – (7)
2- Tommy Streeter – (4)
3- Andre Roberts – (2)
4- Chansi Stuckey – (1)
5- DeMarco Sampson – (3)

Fullback & Tight Ends:

The positions of fullback and tight end have been vastly improved over the last year. It seems it has been a long time since the Cardinals have had any threat, or skill at fullback, or tight end. This last season we seemed to have one of the better collections of talent at these positions.

Anthony Sherman is a homer run draft pick. As a rookie he showed good blocking skill, he showed he can catch the ball out of the backfield, that plays well in special teams, and he is a good, all-around football player with a great mentality towards the game. He is all you really need at the fullback position.

Then there is one of my favorite players in the league, Jeff King. I have wanted the Cardinals to sign this guy for years, and was extremely excited when they signed him last offseason. There was no surprise for me when King excelled at the position this year. Todd Heap is always going to be an injury concern. He is near the end of his career and he is so beat up, it is tough for him to stay on the field, but I will take every last game Heap has. In his very few appearances this year, he shows he can still catch the ball and be a threat in the passing game.

Rob Housler, and Jim Dray need each other, and are very good for as depth for this squad of players. Housler has potential, but had a very uneventful rookie season, where the catches he didn’t make or connect on are more vivid in my mind then the passes he caught. Jim Dray is a great in-game, back up fullback, and good 4th string blocking TE. Dray’s ability to play back up fullback, special teams, and be your average TE gives value to keeping him on the roster.

Action: None.

2012 FB Core:
1- Anthony Sherman – (3)
2- Jim Dray – (2)

2012 TE Core:
1- Jeff King – (2)
2- Todd Heap – (1)
3- Rob Housler – (3)

Offensive Line:

I don’t know what to say about this organization and the offensive line. What more is there to say, then what has been talked about for years on this message board. Getting a stable, and successful offensive line is the number one priority for this team after re-signing Calais Campbell to a contract. As stated at the beginning, Grimm has shown to be an awful judgment of talent at all positions on the offensive line. The nice thing about this offseason, is that there is not a single player on this line that deserves a big money, long term contract. If the Cardinals retain any player on the current roster it better be for a cheap, short term contract.

At tackle it is a disaster. I dunno. Maybe keep Levi Brown as RT, and play Jeremy Bridges at LT until we find something better. Brandon Keith? Keith is worth bringing into camp, but he is not worth a long term extension by any means. The thought of keeping things as is, would be in my opinion, being OK with going .500 every year. The combination of Levi Brown, and Brandon Keith as the Cardinal bookends is not working. Not one bit. It has to change. Levi Brown is going to be a situation where if he thinks he is getting a long term top left tackle NFL salary he is crazy, and the same goes for Keith at RT. As stated, maybe Levi Brown at right tackle. I have no problem with bringing D.J. Young back, along with D’Anthony Batiste into camp, but the Cardinals should invest a lot of time and money (after re-signing Campbell of course) to their offensive tackles.

The Cardinals have to take good long looks at Demetrius Bell, Kareem McKenzie, Jonathan Martin (Stanford), and Riley Reiff (Iowa). The reality is the Cardinals need to invest, either big free agent money, or high draft picks to fix the offensive tackle position. I don’t care what Whiz said in his last press conference, or what the official website is posting on its webpage. The offensive tackle position is in dire straits.

The guard position, is at a decent point, to sugar coat the situation. The Cardinals have a lot of average guards, but guys like Colledge, Hadnot, and Lutui are just that, very average. Colledge is the “Paris Lenon” of the offense. He does his job, and does it at a consistently adequate level. Hadnot has been so-so this season, and Lutui looks rusty, and poor in pass protection. Both guard positions should be wide open going into camp. With more important things like offensive tackle, and other positions, I would not be surprised, or concerned if the Cardinals tried to find value in free agency and in the draft. I like Art Forst, and Brian Schwab in the later round of the draft, and wonder why the Cardinals would not try and sign Vince Manuwai to a weight based contract. He is better than either of the guards we have on the roster and if he keeps his weight under control he is a very good NFL guard. It would be a “bring him in, wouldn’t hurt” situation.

At center I have a little crow to eat. I have been complaining about there being no competition at center for the Cardinals. Well, I am wrong. Ryan Bartholomew is on the practice squad and has been so all year long. If the Cardinals keep him around, and he grows, then they may have something there. I have not really noticed he was on our practice squad for the entire year, but he is an absolutely bull, strength wise. If they keep him around with Sendlein then I am fine with our center position. Sendlein had a very solid season for the Cardinals. He is earning his keep.

The problems with this offensive line are not going to be fixed in one year. I don’t think the talent will be available to fix the entire line, and that the Cardinals front office has the ability to do it, even if the opportunity was available to them. Yet, the organization should be able to improve the line this year, and set it up for bigger and better things in the future.

Action: Re-sign Brandon Keith, Draft Jonathan Martin in the 1st Round, Sign Vince Manuwai to a “Lutui Contract”, Draft Art Forst in the 6th round of the draft, Draft Brian Schwab in the 7th round of the draft, re-sign D’Anthony Batiste, re-sign D.J. Young, and re-sign Ryan Bartholomew.

2012 Offensive Line:

LT:
1- Jeremy Bridges – (1)
2- Jonathan Martin – (5)*

LG:
1- Daryn Colledge – (4)
[Vince Manuwai]

OC:
1- Lyle Sendlein – (4)
2- Ryan Bartholomew – (2)*

RG:
1- Rex Hadnot – (1)
2- Vince Manuwai – (1)*

RT:
1- Brandon Keith – (1)
[Jonathan Martin]

52nd Roster spot: D’Anthony Batiste or better.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Defensive line:

With the defense the Cardinals run, it seems that the defensive line consists of two full time players. The NT is important, but not as important as Dockett, or Campbell. Of course the number one priority this offseason is re-signing Calais Campbell. If the Cardinals fail in this simple task it is another indication that this organization is happy with being .500 and think they can sell a watered down version of the team and season we just watched this year. This season, Campbell was the super star that I had been waiting to see. He was dominant this year, and while he played well last year, this year he was the player he can be and should be throughout his career. The way the Cardinals use Campbell and Dockett, they are both worth every penny. Dockett played very well in his role this year, and is here for a long time. You add Nick Eason, and David Carter in for depth, and this unit looks good. Eason plays either end of nose tackle well, and David Carter can play anywhere and any role and get the job done. We all hope Dan Williams recovers well from his injury. He has to get his weight under control, and he has to come into camp ready to go. He has a “role” on this team, and in the limited amount of snaps he sees, he has to be more of a factor.

There is nothing really to do besides sign Calais Campbell. For depth, Ronald Talley or better is fine with me. It is debatable whether a 6th defensive line man is needed with this offense.

Action: Re-sign Calais Campbell for as long as possible. Re-sign Ronald Talley or someone better.

DE:
1- Darnell Dockett – (4)
2- Calais Campbell – (6)*
3- Nick Eason – (1)
4- Ronald Talley –(1)*

NT:
1- Dan Williams – (3)
2- David Carter – (3)

Linebacker:

The outside linebacker situation is a bit scary, but in a very hopeful way. Is Sam Acho the real deal ? Can the Cardinals play O’Brien Schofield without having someone in the “Clark Haggans role” on defense ? Is Clark Haggans going to retire?

I think Sam Acho is the real deal, I think the Cardinals need a compliment outside linebacker to play along with O’Brien Schofield. Most importantly, I believe, in a pass rushing situation, using O’Brien Schofield, and Sam Acho as your outside linebackers is a completely acceptable situation and would be considered putting a NFL quality pass rush out on the field.

Sam Acho is going to be a player for the Cardinals. He seemed to “get it” fairly early on in his career, and is improving by the game. I believe he will improve on his six sacks this year, and will be a full-time starter next season. He brings pressure from the outside and the Cardinals desperately needed that role to be filled. O’Brien Schofield is a strange situation, his size, and his abilities seem to make him a bit of a risk to play every down. I am not sure about this ability against the run, but pass rushing is so important in the league today that Schofield is a very important piece to the success of the Cardinals. To have Schofield in just pass-rushing situations is a weapon for the Cardinals. To have the ability to create pressure from both sides of the defense is a luxury the Cardinals can enjoy for the next few seasons.

What is going to happen at the inside linebacker position? Obviously Daryl Washington is the star of the show for our linebackers right now. Washington is a stud, and I believe the Cardinals should set Washington up to roam free with Wilson all over the field. Washington is decent in coverage, and as he gets better he can be used in a more variety of coverages. At the same time Washington has show some pass rushing abilty. What do the Cardinals do about Paris Lenon? What if Lenon retires?

I think we can all see how linebackers are now used by Ray Horton. He needs a good mix of players that are versatile. I believe Clark Haggans, and Paris Lenon will retire this year. If either re-signs, that is fine with me, but I would imagine it would be for 1 year, and at a “fair” salary. Yet, as I state, I believe they will retire. I think the Cardinals have been preparing for Haggans and Lenon leaving. Stewart Bradley is not going to take over at ILB, he will play some ILB, but I believe he will play Clark Haggans role at OLB, and ILB at times when needed. Moving Bradley in a more of a outside linebacker capacity, the need for an ILB becomes glaring. A solid signing would be Chris Gocong from Cleveland. He would fit for a role the Cardinals need at ILB. Also, I think the Cardinals will invest in the linebacker position in the middle/late rounds of the draft. I like Nick Johnson, OLB in the 4th round and Adrien Cole, ILB in the 5th round. As for depth, Reggie Walker or better is fine with me.

Action: Sign Chris Gocong, draft Nick Johnson, OLB in the 4th round, and Adrien Cole in the 5th round. Re-sign Reggie Walker or better.

OLB:
1- Sam Acho – (3)
2- Stewart Bradley – (4)
3- O’Brien Schofield – (3)
4- Nick Johnson –(3)*

ILB:
1- Daryl Washington – (3)
2- Chris Gocong – (2)*
3- Adrien Cole – (3)*
4- Reggie Walker – (1)*

Defensive Backs:

Patrick Peterson is an example of what happens when drafting the best player available works. He has shown the potential, and the probability of being our #1 CB for a long, long time. If you add Greg Toler(RFA), A.J. Jefferson (EFA), and Michael Adams to the situation, our cornerback situation looks OK. If Toler, who will be re-signed as a restricted freed agent, fits the system like he seems he would, then the Cardinals have a rarity in the NFL which is being “OK” at the CB position during this offseason.

At safety the situation is one of waiting for the right situation, the right player, and the right athlete. Put me down as one of the people who thought Adrian Wilson is done. Bzzzzt. Wrong. Sorry. I was wrong. He is fine, and is being used as an effective weapon in the current defense. Kerry Rhodes, in the games he did play, seems to work in this system as well. Rashad Johnson can be had for cheap as a restricted free agent. Now the situation concerning the final safety spot is a weird situation. Personally, I do not see a replacement for Adrian Wilson being available this offseason. Use Rhodes if Wilson goes down for now, and wait for a big, fast, physical safety to come around in the next 2 seasons. Till then Wilson is the weapon of choice.

Yet, this still leaves that final safety position. If the Cardinals can pull it off, it would be nice to see them bring Richard Marshall back for 2 or 3 seasons. He can back up Rhodes, play that “3rd safety position”, he can play cornerback if Toler fails, etc., etc. He may be worth paying a little extra for. Let Rashad Johnson earn his job and place, or he will be out for the sake of the future (Wilson’s apprentice) in the next few seasons

Action: Re-Sign Richard Marhall, Sign Greg Toler to a high round tender, Sign A.J. Jefferson (EFA), Sign Rashad Johnson to a low round tender, re-sign Marshay Green or better.

CB:
1- Patrick Peterson – (4)
2- Greg Toler – (1)*
3- A.J. Jefferson – (1)*
4- Michal Adams – (1)
5- Marshay Green – (1)*

S:
1- Adrian Wilson – (2)
2- Kerry Rhodes – (2)
3- Richard Marshall – (2)*
4- Rashad Johnson – (1)*

Special Teams:

You know what I really like about our defense? They play all four downs. Our punt return team, and field goal block team are vicious. A good amount of the starters stay in for both special teams situations. Again, I like that our defense always plays all four downs for the most part. It is intimidating.

While the new kickoff rules have taken LSH out of action, Patrick Peterson has given the Cardinals a rare weapon that most teams do not have at the punt return position. Peterson is just another weapon, and another way the defense working in special teams situations can carry this team, and an average offense as far as it wants to.

Jay Feely, Dave Zastudil, and Mike Leach are quality special teams players. NFL quality all the way. To enter the 2012 season with these three guys or better would be fine with me.

Action: Re-sign Jay Feely or better, Re-sign Dave Zastudil or better, Re-sign Mike Leach or better.

Kickers & Long Snapper:
K- Jay Feely – (1)
P- Dave Zastudil – (1)
LS: Mike Leach – (2)

52nd player will probably be an offensive linemen given the condition of the line, and the 53rd roster sport will be for dealing with injures, as it has been for a few seasons.

Offseason Action:

Re-Sign: (* = or better)
Calias Campbell
Richard Marshall
LaRod Stephens-Hownling (RFA)
Greg Toler (RFA)
Brandon Keith
Alfonso Smith
D’Anthony Batiste
Ronald Talley*
Reggie Walker*
A.J. Jefferson (EFA)
Rashad Johnson (RFA)
Jay Feely*
Dave Zastudil*
Mike Leach*

Free Agent Action:
Byron Leftwich, QB
Chris Gocong, ILB
Vince Manuwai, OG

Draft:
1st Round: Jonathan Martin, OT
2nd Round: [Kolb]
3rd Round: Tommy Streeter, WR
4th Round: Nick Johnson, OLB
5th Round: Adrien Cole, ILB
6th Round: Art Forst, OG/OT
7th Round: Brian Schwab, OG

I find this scenario to be something that our front office could do. Yet, you never know.

Last edited:

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Great write up and I agree with most of it...not sure about the Leftwich signing thought and you forgot about Sturdivant being in the mix at ILB.

Oh an it's "corps" not core...my BIM for the day.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Outstanding effort and post, clever use of pics and very well written. I may not agree with everything written but I do agree with most of it.

Bridges as our LT scares me more than Levi or any Wes Craven movie.

I think Haggans and Lenon both try and make the team next year.

I want to upgrade Smith as our 4th RB, he couldn't get more reps then Taylor.

At least bring in competition at the punter position.

Want a speed WR instead of just a big body, we have TE's for that purpose.

Not so sure the Miller sucks as the OC.

I am very much on the fence right now about how aggressively we should pursue another option at the QB position. I do agree with you that the team has enough talent to win with a game manager at QB but can we win some playoff games with said game managing QB?

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rugby, thanks for taking the time and effort to write your post... lots of work.

Whiz's comments about the Oline being playing better is just so much coachspeak, imo. He's probably just alluding to the fact that the 'system' isn't being executed successfully and his boy Grimm has gotten them to play well considering we haven't had quality QB play... or some such....etc etc.

I've read a lot of posts that call for Levi to be moved to RT. Does anyone really, I mean really, think that is going to happen? I just don't see it with Grimm still employed here. What seems painfully obvious to us as a colossal fail seems to be just swept under the rug by the same dunderheads that moved Levi to LT in the first place. I can't even remember a serious coaches comment about how the team needs improved Oline play or players.

While I agree with all who are praising the coaches and players for hanging tough after a horrendous first half of the season, I too will be just exasperated with the whole Oline situation if it isn't fixed sooner rather than later.

The failure to develop a QB, which has been harped on by many on this board, will be a continued source of frustration for all fans.

All that being said, I'm hopeful for next year after watching the second half of this season...:koolaid:

ps. PP21 is the man.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Excellent write up Rugby, thanks for putting in the time and effort!

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rugby, thanks for taking the time and effort to write your post... lots of work.

Whiz's comments about the Oline being playing better is just so much coachspeak, imo. He's probably just alluding to the fact that the 'system' isn't being executed successfully and his boy Grimm has gotten them to play well considering we haven't had quality QB play... or some such....etc etc.

I've read a lot of posts that call for Levi to be moved to RT. Does anyone really, I mean really, think that is going to happen? I just don't see it with Grimm still employed here. What seems painfully obvious to us as a colossal fail seems to be just swept under the rug by the same dunderheads that moved Levi to LT in the first place. I can't even remember a serious coaches comment about how the team needs improved Oline play or players.

While I agree with all who are praising the coaches and players for hanging tough after a horrendous first half of the season, I too will be just exasperated with the whole Oline situation if it isn't fixed sooner rather than later.

The failure to develop a QB, which has been harped on by many on this board, will be a continued source of frustration for all fans.

All that being said, I'm hopeful for next year after watching the second half of this season...:koolaid:

ps. PP21 is the man.

how can they say the weak pass protection is the result of bad qb play..it s the the 5th year for russ grimm and they change 5 qbs..i think they cant hide the fact the offensive line is very bad and the coach too...but be a friend of the head coach helps to keep the seat.probably a good general manager should push the coach to make a change..but the management of this organization is like a happy family

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Very good breakdown Rugby.

I'm more in favor of keeping Levi and getting either Keith cheap or just drafting Martin or DeCastro.

I'd rather get Weeden than a reciever in the 3rd round. I want to have a young b/u who can push for starter in 1-2 years if necessary.

The other thing is Lennon. He's quietly had two quality seasons and is signed through next year, I thought.

Last edited:

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
Great effort, but if I nver see Zastudil in a Cardinal uniform again it'll be too soon; same goes for Kolb and the hologram (unless they move him to guard.). I REALLY LIKE THE IDEA OF BRINGING IN GOCONG.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Re-sign Antonio Smith??? Too late for that...

AJ Jefferson sucks... so much so that Marshay Green was put in front of him fresh off the practice squad.

Also don't want to see Suckuadil... He is terrible.

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
bump

This is a quality piece that I'm sure some have not had the opportunity to read yet.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
COACHING AND QUARTERBACK-----I lean toward you concerning the ability of Whisenhunt to coach up the young quarterbacks on our roster. In fact, I almost view him as detrimental to the development of ANY young quarterback. In any event, he hasn't yet shown any real ability to do so. That said, I am pleased with the quarterbacks we have on this roster. I feel that Kolb was on the verge of breaking out when he received his concussion in the Niner's game. A healing off season, with plenty of time to absorb the playbook, and sufficient reps in OTA's and camps should ready him for taking over the starting spot on this roster. Skelton should give him ample competition during the off season, and with enough reps and some coaching about setting his feet and following through with his throws, in order to increase accuracy, might even push him for the starting job. IN any event Skelton should make a decent backup this year. Bartel is fine in the emergency slot.

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
OFFENSIVE LINE-----Rugby, like you, I too feel that Grimm borders on being clueless when assessing abilities of his players. Levi should not be kept on the roster, but I am not sure that both Grimm and Whiz don't believe he is doing an OK job at LT. I guess being statistically last in the league is not a drawback there. I would not at all be surprised to see Whiz retain him on the roster. I still believe that Deuce is the best O-lineman on the roster, and the only one with half a mean streak to him, fat or not. If he comes in ready and trim for OTA's and keeps it that way through training camp, they probably would be well served to give him a contract, (hopefully contingent on a fatso-clause of some kind). Deuce is serviceable at pass protection, (at least against this bunch of guards), and is the best run blocker on the roster. He is the one that reaches the second level when run blocking more than any other O-lineman on this roster too. I still think they should bring in a LT from the draft, but I am not so hot for the guy from Stanford as I was before the Rose Bowl game. He seemed to get pushed around a lot, and was a better run blocker than pass protector. Of course that is what Levi brings to the table also, so who knows what Grimm and company will do in that regard. We still need to address LT with a man who can move his feet, and who is strong, (and long enough), to punch pass rushers to a standstill. (Just dreaming I guess). I kind of hope they take a long look at the LT from Iowa State. He is big, long, and has a huge wing span).

Reaction score
Outstanding work, Rugby! :raccoon::raccoon::raccoon: Your article could easily qualify for placement in one of the major magazines.

Unfortunately, including the entire piece in one thread makes it too bulky to breakdown for stimulating discussion - it's too broad in scope for that purpose.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nicely done Rugby!

We are friends with the Lenon family and I can tell you that he has no plans on retiring.

Well, as I said. Would be happy to have him back. He fits in well with this system and team. Even though in almost every breakdown of this team I am trying to replace Lenon, he is still solid.

Oh, and tell him hello from me, and probably 100 other people on this board.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rugby, One problem about your draft picks - Your missing a pick. We received Washington's 2012 6th rounder in the trade that sent Hightower to the Redskins. I I think that is pick (as of now) #167.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Outstanding work, Rugby! :raccoon::raccoon::raccoon: Your article could easily qualify for placement in one of the major magazines.

Unfortunately, including the entire piece in one thread makes it too bulky to breakdown for stimulating discussion - it's too broad in scope for that purpose.

Agreed.

I do it for fun, so other can read it if the want to, and to look back on during the offseason to see how smart/dumb I was at the beginning of it.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Rugby, One problem about your draft picks - Your missing a pick. We received Washington's 2012 6th rounder in the trade that sent Hightower to the Redskins. I I think that is pick (as of now) #167.

Really?

Sweetness. I have no idea what the Cardinals should do with an extra 6th pick. There are some good "project" OLB to be had, and a plethora of offensive linemen projects.

Maybe a punter ?

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
DEFENSIVE LINE-----Again I agree for the most part. The return of DD, CC, Eason, Taley, Williams, and Carter are justified and necessary. However the return of Vonnie Holliday, (though long in the tooth), should not be overlooked. He is invaluable as an on-field teaching component in Horton's defense, and has been a very good situational backup for Calais Campbell as well. He would like to return for at least one more year, and proved a very valuable asset at a reasonable cost this past year. His presence in the locker room should not be overlooked either.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Off topic, but I seem to recall hearing Lenon is the only active player in the NFL that played with an XFL team.

Not sure if it's true or not....

Go Cards!!!

That would be the "He Hate Me" knowledge nugget of the day.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard