2012 Arizona Diamondbacks Season Thread - August Edition

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
devilalum said:
How does moving Upton back to 3rd help anything?

He was back batting 3rd for the 2nd time in 3 games because, even though Kubel said his stiff neck was OK, the Manager held him out of the the lineup. Luckily, we are pounding the Astros.

Anyway, when Kubel returns, Upton will be back batting 5th.

I don't enjoy seeing the look of indifference on Upton's face all the time. It just reinforces his immaturity.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
With an 0-for-10 in the Astros series, lowering his season's average .193, and knowing that he'll be gone at the end of the year . . . why is Stephen Drew still our starting shortstop?

Except for Young's one hot series, seeing Young, the pitcher and Drew (or Drew, the pitcher and Young) with one of them hitting leadoff with their approaching-the-Mendoza-line batting averages, it degrades three-positions-in-a-row in our batting order.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
With an 0-for-10 in the Astros series, lowering his season's average .193, and knowing that he'll be gone at the end of the year . . . why is Stephen Drew still our starting shortstop?

Except for Young's one hot series, seeing Young, the pitcher and Drew (or Drew, the pitcher and Young) with one of them hitting leadoff with their approaching-the-Mendoza-line batting averages, it degrades three-positions-in-a-row in our batting order.

They should just release Drew. Nobody wanted to trade for him and he's gone at the end of the year. Why is he still here?

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Tyler Skaggs will be called up and pitch on Wednesday in the doubleheader.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
They should just release Drew. Nobody wanted to trade for him and he's gone at the end of the year. Why is he still here?
I wonder if it would be any different if Bloomquist were not injured. Before he was, Willie still had to hope for sporadic starts when Drew returned and, at his age, isn't the long-term solution.

Gonzo has acknowledged on the air that Willie brought some life (and skill) to the leadoff position, which no one else has seemed to do. Certainly not Young. Certainly not Drew. Parra hits better there than 8th, but Gibby hardly ever bats him leadoff.

Gonzo has questioned on the air a lot of Gibson's inconsistent moves while serving as TV color analyst this week. I wonder how much influence he has in his main assignment as Special Assistant to President and CEO Derrick Hall.

I am not big on choosing a Manager with no full season managerial experience, but I would choose Gonzo over Matt Williams (with his limited experience) in a heartbeat, for a number of reasons.

Gonzo is opinionated but diplomatic, with more of a personality. And he has spotted more flaws in the D'backs approach in one week than Williams did when he was regularly covering as backup color commentator.

When Gonzo referred to Gibson's pot-luck lineups as a "mystery", I was convinced that the D'backs wouldn't be a .500 team with him in charge. And if we can't give Upton and Young a fresh start somewhere else, at least we could under a Manager who recognizes the importance of batters' roles not being a "mystery".

When Gibson's contract expires this year, I say give Gonzo a chance. Or bring in a very experienced National League manager.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

IMO releasing Drew would also hurt him come free agency. Drew is coming off a major injury and hasn't done squat. I doubt he gets a fat "Boras" deal from anybody.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
why do they not play Mcdonald more at short?

In general, Johnny Mac is all about defense and no bat... though, he was having a pretty decent year at the plate before he encountered some back issues...
The Dbacks were going to play Drew no matter what... they had to. It would've been ideal if he came back strong and became more valuable for trade purposes...

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Dbacks take on Marlins 4 game series

Dodgers take on Giants 3 game series

Who should we be pulling for SF or LA?

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
Lost 2 in a row to the Marlins.

We should have won last night's game up 5-0 after the first inning.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lost 2 in a row to the Marlins.

We should have won last night's game up 5-0 after the first inning.

I am not a big fan of Cahill. The guy looks like he has never exercised in his life. They should of never traded Parker.

Last edited:

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's a good thing they signed Hill through 2013. He'd be asking for a much bigger contract after this season. D-Backs are getting .300 BA/18HRs/31 2Bs (so far) from a 2B position for $5.5 mil per. That's good production for the $$$.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It's a good thing they signed Hill through 2013. He'd be asking for a much bigger contract after this season. D-Backs are getting .300 BA/18HRs/31 2Bs (so far) from a 2B position for $5.5 mil per. That's good production for the $$$.

To think we dumped Kelly Johnson and received both Hill and Johnny Mac in return... not too shabby. ;)

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Skaggs looked solid. Some control issues, but that is pretty common for younger pitchers. That curve ball is insane and he's got a few other decent pitches. Looking forward to his next start.

Marklar

Rookie
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of Cahill. The guy looks like he has never exercised in his life. They should of never traded Parker.

I'm with you about Cahill, but I have a huge man-crush on Miley!

Also found out today I share a name with a Marlins player!

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks will be honoring the 2012 college baseball champs, the Arizona Wildcats baseball team tomorrow night. Andy Lopez will throw out the first pitch.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Diamondbacks will be honoring the 2012 college baseball champs, the Arizona Wildcats baseball team tomorrow night. Andy Lopez will throw out the first pitch.

[Insert tasteless rivalry barb here]

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

With all the chaos surrounding the Diamondbacks and ASU baseball, it will be refreshing to see a stable, functional baseball team on the field in this state.

FArting

Lopes Up!
Reaction score
We are 7 games back in the west and 5.5 out of the wildcard.

We are done. Got no chance at the wildcard and winning the west.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard