2012 Arizona Diamondbacks Season Thread - August Edition

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
The Dbacks are just a mediocre team.

They have no legit star power. They do have several nice players but nobody that stands out as a player that can carry a team. Their pitching is mediocre, even if they did make the post season they don't have a single lock down starter that you need to make a post season run.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
We are 7 games back in the west and 5.5 out of the wildcard.

We are done. Got no chance at the wildcard and winning the west.

That's how I'm looking at it now.

If they want even a 10% chance they need to take the next 2 and essentially sweep the Giants + Dodgers.

Good luck with that!

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The Dbacks are just a mediocre team.

They have no legit star power. They do have several nice players but nobody that stands out as a player that can carry a team. Their pitching is mediocre, even if they did make the post season they don't have a single lock down starter that you need to make a post season run.

Upton was supposed to be our "star". If he actually had fulfilled his promise, hitting .290ish, with 28-30 homeruns and 95-100 RBI, along with Kubel, Goldy, Hill, Montero, Parra, Johnson...we would have a better than decent offense. CY, and even moreso Upton, are by far the biggest reasons this team couldn't get over the hump this season.
They will now need to start over... which will be painful. Getting rid of CY (just a flat out necessity) will net squat in return... but, it must be done. And dumping Upton will likewise not bring anything close to star-power in return... yet, that move also needs to happen...

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Upton was supposed to be our "star". If he actually had fulfilled his promise, hitting .290ish, with 28-30 homeruns and 95-100 RBI, along with Kubel, Goldy, Hill, Montero, Parra, Johnson...we would have a better than decent offense. CY, and even moreso Upton, are by far the biggest reasons this team couldn't get over the hump this season.
They will now need to start over... which will be painful. Getting rid of CY (just a flat out necessity) will net squat in return... but, it must be done. And dumping Upton will likewise not bring anything close to star-power in return... yet, that move also needs to happen...

and by doing all that are they going to be any better. I think not. I like CY but if he goes no big deal, Upton I have to give him another year or 2.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Just got swept at home by the Padres. The season is all but over. Watching Cahill pitch less than four innings and thinking they traded Parker for him makes me sick to my stomach.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Just got swept at home by the Padres. The season is all but over. Watching Cahill pitch less than four innings and thinking they traded Parker for him makes me sick to my stomach.

ARZ really overplayed their hand on the Cahill / Parker trade thinking they were a veteran SP away from reaching the WS. I knew then it was a bad trade then and am very angry I was right. Parker is having a better year and has a brighter future in front of him. Cahill had a career year 2 years ago but is not on Parker's level in terms of talent and potential. Plus we gave up a solid reliever in Cook who became an AS this year....disgusted.

Imagine a future rotation that could have been:

Skaggs
Parker
Bauer
Corbin
Bradley

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Game 2 vs. the Reds and a tough pitcher. Parra with a rare start in CF and as leadoff hitter doubles to the opposite field, advances to 3rd base on a wild pitch and scores on a sac fly by a slumping Jason Kubel. National League baseball. Manufacturing a run.

And the next game? Young will probably be back playing CF, popping up or striking out as our leadoff hitter, now that he has been chosen to return to that spot because of one good game in front of his family on the road.

Wouldn't it be nice if we went with our better player?

How long has it been since we have seen our best (available) batters together in one game?

Wouldn't it be nice if we went with our best players for a stretch?

Micro managing does not make for a good Manager.

P.S.: Upton just missed his cutoff man again. It is so frustrating to watch night after night.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Is it only frustrating watching Upton if you understand basic fundamental baseball.
Which most of us do.

P.S.: Regarding the other point in my post . . . Parra in a rare leadoff appearance picked up his second double of the game.

The guy blocking him from playing everyday would rather try for 4 total bases in one swing and popup than getting it in two at-bats -- one in which he scored a run and the other in which he drove one in.

That is also frustrating and, yes, basic fundamental baseball, especially from the leadoff spot.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I'm starting to believe this team has simply checked out for the season. Since the "blockbuster" Dodger deal went through, I don't think we've won a single game. This is utterly embarrassing.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'm starting to believe this team has simply checked out for the season. Since the "blockbuster" Dodger deal went through, I don't think we've won a single game. This is utterly embarrassing.

Too tired to check, but, I think we haven't had more than 5 or 6 hits in a game since we blew out Pitt back on 8/7th... beyond putrid!

TJ

Reaction score
Too tired to check, but, I think we haven't had more than 5 or 6 hits in a game since we blew out Pitt back on 8/7th... beyond putrid!

Believe it or not - the only player who's been hitting worth a damn since then is.....Upton!

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Ewwwwww..... another loss and another 6 hit performance, with 3 of those hits coming from such studs at Elmore and Nieves... we are now officially toast. As such, I can't bring myself to start the "Official September" thread. Who's got the cajones to do it? :D

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Ewwwwww..... another loss and another 6 hit performance, with 3 of those hits coming from such studs at Elmore and Nieves... we are now officially toast. As such, I can't bring myself to start the "Official September" thread. Who's got the cajones to do it? :D

I'm not going to start the thread but your post is dead on, we are toast.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Parra in a rare leadoff appearance picked up his second double of the game.

The guy blocking him from playing everyday would rather try for 4 total bases in one swing and popup than getting it in two at-bats -- one in which he scored a run and the other in which he drove one in.
I have to follow up my post from yesterday. How was Parra, and the team, rewarded for his performance yesterday batting leadoff and playing CF?

Back on the bench today. With Young, who doesn't have a clue about being a leadoff hitter, back at leadoff. With a righty pitching.

I just don't get it! I wonder if Gibson's stupid pills are over-the-counter or by prescription. :bang:

The team is so lifeless (and when a whole team is that way, the person to hold accountable is the manager), there is only one solution.

With Gibson's contract so close to expiring, show him the door now and make Don Baylor (with his managerial experience) interim manager 'til the final game of the season.

The D'backs could use a 1-month dosage of self-respect to carry them through Spring Training.

TJ

Reaction score
Suck it, Dodgers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
One of Young's popups reached the left field seats for a 2-0 D'backs victory over the Dodgers. Live by the HR swing, die by the HR swing. For one night, they lived.

It was good to see Kennedy and the bullpen pitch a shutout. Good game!

It is interesting to see a photo of Ian before the red beard on a D'backs roster site.

Attachments

• Ian K.jpeg
    Ian K.jpeg
    1.7 KB · Views: 64

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard