2012 Arizona Diamondbacks Season Thread - August Edition

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Really nice win comeback win by the DBacks tonight.
Let's think about that. Win by the homerun swing, lose by the homerun swing.

1-2 in the series. .500 for the season.

I would rather have seen us manufacture some runs during the three games than two desperation swings in the 27th inning in St. Louis.

I know the Cardinals are a tough team, but the all-or-nothing approach at the plate has produced very mediocre results for the D'backs all season long.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Outscored in the series 14-6. Kubel with gets his 118th strikeout of the season... Upton about to slide into the .260's.
But, we're now 5 1/2 back of the Dodgers... Still on life-support with miracles needed...

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Let's think about that. Win by the homerun swing, lose by the homerun swing.

1-2 in the series. .500 for the season.

I would rather have seen us manufacture some runs during the three games than two desperation swings in the 27th inning in St. Louis.

I know the Cardinals are a tough team, but the all-or-nothing approach at the plate has produced very mediocre results for the D'backs all season long.

Desperation swings? We were down to our last 2 outs. I still say it was a great comeback for the DBacks. I'll take the win and move on.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
They have a very favorable 12 game stretch starting toaday with 3 in Houston, and then 9 at home against Miami, San Diego and Cincy!

They MUST make a move in this stretch. I would say they have to go 9 & 3 over this stretch, or else they're toast...

The Dodgers have 6 tough games over this stretch. versus the Braves and Giants! And the Giants play 7 games against the Dodgers and Braves. Atlanta has been one of the hottest teams in baseball as of late... need them to do their job!

Last edited:

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I think we need a 9-3 as well, in addition to series wins or sweeps over BOTH Giants and Dodgers. If the Giants and Dodgers both go 6-6 over the same stretch, we are still 2.5 games back.

ONE HOT MONTH FROM UPTON, YOUNG, and KENNEDY IS ALL I AM ASKING FOR.

Kubel can keep his .280 pace, Hill and Goldschmidt will continue to get theirs, Montero is Montero... Just one freaking hot month.

DiamondBacks5117

Registered
Reaction score
This win is just what this team needed right now. Maybe that hommer will get CY going. Nice job as always by Goldie. Nice pitching duel.

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I think we need a 9-3 as well, in addition to series wins or sweeps over BOTH Giants and Dodgers. If the Giants and Dodgers both go 6-6 over the same stretch, we are still 2.5 games back.

ONE HOT MONTH FROM UPTON, YOUNG, and KENNEDY IS ALL I AM ASKING FOR.

Kubel can keep his .280 pace, Hill and Goldschmidt will continue to get theirs, Montero is Montero... Just one freaking hot month.

The lack of offensive production from Upton, and CY to a much lesser extent, is killing this team.
Goldy, Kubel, Miggy, Parra, Hill, Bloomquist... and even Johnson since has arrived have all contributed their share and then some. Upton has killed the team... And it's hard for me to come down on CY for simply being what he is... a good, not great, minor leaguer...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe that hommer will get CY going.
His history tells us that all one home run will accomplish will be trying to hit the ball even higher in the air.

Last night, after the rain delay, Gonzo said that CY "looks lost at the plate". His words, not mine. He was shocked that Kubel was not in the on-deck circle to pinch-hit for him after Goldschmidt. This one time, it worked.

It was ironic that, when Young hit it, he stood there briefly and admired it (although not as long as Upton), in contrast to Goldy who put his head down and started running immediately.

Between them, Young and Upton have done that just 21 times this season (hit home runs). Between them! Plus the times they did it and the ball didn't clear the outfield and they got a late start to 1B.

I have nothing against either of them personally, but how can you admire that kind of stubborn behavior, putting themselves above the team?

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
His history tells us that all one home run will accomplish will be trying to hit the ball even higher in the air.

Last night, after the rain delay, Gonzo said that CY "looks lost at the plate". His words, not mine. He was shocked that Kubel was not in the on-deck circle to pinch-hit for him after Goldschmidt. This one time, it worked.

It was ironic that, when Young hit it, he stood there briefly and admired it (although not as long as Upton), in contrast to Goldy who put his head down and started running immediately.

Between them, Young and Upton have done that just 21 times this season (hit home runs). Between them! Plus the times they did it and the ball didn't clear the outfield and they got a late start to 1B.

I have nothing against either of them personally, but how can you admire that kind of stubborn behavior, putting themselves above the team?

I agree with everything you say about CY but the guy must have at least 3x as many clutch game winning or tying home runs as Justin "The Franchise" Upton over his career.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And in his very first at-bat vs. the Astros, rewarded with batting leadoff, Chris Young -- popup to the outfield.

Argggggh!

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
And in his very first at-bat vs. the Astros, rewarded with batting leadoff, Chris Young -- popup to the outfield.

Argggggh!

Keuchel is a lefty... which might explain playing CY over Parra. But, Parra is playing and Kubel is sitting... Which leads me to believe that there could be somethng wrong with Kubel as he actually hits lefties better than CY does. Hmmmm....

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I think Kubel has back stiffness again.

And, yes D'back fans, Young batting leadoff popped up in his 2nd time at-bat as well, this time to shortstop.

That's stubborn! I'll support any D'back fighting through performance problems. But attitude problems . . .

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
wheres Gracie been a while since hes called a game.
He said last Thursday, I think it was, that he's going to be gone for a week.

That's why Gonzo has stepped down from his Exec desk to do the color commentary with the Guv'nor.

As I posted in the Darren Sutton thread, I hope Gracie has the opportunity to listen to them a few times this week to see how a color commentator is not supposed to talk over his play-by-play man.

Marklar

Rookie
Reaction score
They have a very favorable 12 game stretch starting toaday with 3 in Houston, and then 9 at home against Miami, San Diego and Cincy!

I'd prefer we go 10-3, with a 4-game series against the Marlins ;). Looking forward to the double-header Thursday (my time), makes the driving I do more interesting!

And as I post, Dodgers lose :D

OP
OP
82CardsGrad

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
I'd prefer we go 10-3, with a 4-game series against the Marlins ;). Looking forward to the double-header Thursday (my time), makes the driving I do more interesting!

And as I post, Dodgers lose :D

Too funny. Forgot they have a weird weekdat twin-bill on Wednesday! And yes, the Braves did their job tonight... Snakes now 4 1/2 out of first place... Will Justin Upton ever hit another homerun again this season?? :mad:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too funny. Forgot they have a weird weekdat twin-bill on Wednesday! And yes, the Braves did their job tonight... Snakes now 4 1/2 out of first place... Will Justin Upton ever hit another homerun again this season?? :mad:

Shoot..... Will Upton ever keep his average over .270 for any length of time? Or have a slugging percentage that's worth a pinch of sour owl poop?

:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard