2010 Playoffs: Round 1, Game 2 - Trail Blazers At Suns Game Thread

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PHOENIX (AP)—Andre Miller(notes) has played in more than 900 games in his 11 NBA seasons, so the Phoenix Suns certainly knew what to expect from the Portland point guard—relentless drives to the basket.
Still, the Suns couldn’t stop him.

The Trail Blazers clogged the middle to prevent those thunderous pick-and-roll dunks from Amare Stoudemire. If the Suns were to win, they would have to do it from long range.
They didn’t.
Portland, despite the absence of leading scorer Brandon Roy(notes), was the only team to win a series opener on the road with its 105-100 victory over Phoenix on Sunday night. The Trail Blazers, who last made it out of the first round 10 years ago, would head home up 2-0 in the best-of-7 series with a win in Game 2 on Tuesday night.
Miller knows to expect a stiffer challenge.
“They’re definitely going to come out and play harder, shoot the ball better and force-feed Amare a little bit more,” he said before practice on Monday. “So it’s going to be a tough test, the second game.”
Portland’s guards dissected the Suns in the decisive fourth quarter, pulling away after the Suns led by two with five minutes to go. Miller matched his playoff career high with 31 points, with 15 in the final period. Jerryd Bayless(notes) scored 10 of his 18 in the fourth quarter.
“Me and Jerryd were the guys trying to get to the basket and not rely on jump shots to give them easy transition baskets,” Miller said. “Normally when you take bad jump shots or shots out of rhythm it leads to scores and transition baskets. By us driving to the basket and keeping the floor balanced we were able to control the tempo.”
The league’s highest-scoring team at 110 per game, Phoenix managed just four fastbreak points all night. Meanwhile, the Blazers scored 20 points off turnovers.
Portland had the second-best road record in the West (24-17) but lost Roy for the series when he had to undergo arthroscopic surgery to repair a torn meniscus in his right knee. After losing Greg Oden(notes) and Joel Przybilla(notes) to injuries earlier in the year, the Trail Blazers were accustomed to such situations.
“It’s got to be a team effort to make up for the loss of Brandon,” coach Nate McMillan said. “I thought the guys last night, they did that.”
Besides, the Suns’ Steve Nash(notes) said, Roy wasn’t necessarily the reason Phoenix has had so much trouble with the Trail Blazers.
“Most teams have a guy similar to Brandon, a superstar who can carry the load offensively,” Nash said. “A lot of teams don’t have two 7-footers or a long, athletic front line like they have that make it difficult for us.”
Stoudemire took 19 shots to score 18 points. And the best 3-point shooting team in the NBA made 11 of 32, 3 of 13 in the final quarter.
Portland’s LaMarcus Aldridge(notes) sensed Stoudemire’s frustration.
“A little bit because we had so many guys around him,” Aldridge said, “and he really couldn’t get anything going.”
Stoudemire had enough trouble with primary defender Marcus Camby(notes), but said he had never had so many players collapse on him inside.
“Every time I caught the ball in the post you had five guys inside the lane,” Stoudemire said. “I’ve never seen that before in my career, that sign of respect. The whole team is trying to guard me out there. For the most part what we’ve got to continue to do now is shoot with confidence, play with confidence and realize how good we really are.”
Stoudemire worked on his jumper after practice Monday.
“Just trying to get into a rhythm,” he said, wiping off the sweat as he talked to reporters. “Offensively we didn’t quite have our rhythm last night so I figured get a few extra shots up and we should be able to get our rhythm back.”
Phoenix coach Alvin Gentry said before the series began that his team would be fine if it made its shots. After shooting an NBA-best 49 percent in the regular season, the Suns shot 41.8 percent in Game 1.
“We shoot 41 percent we’re going to struggle,” Gentry said.
Nash, though, said the loss cannot be simply attributed to missed shots.
“You look at the tape and you look back at the game and you think ‘We made a lot of mistakes,”’ he said. “We made a lot of errors defensively, we gave away a lot of opportunities offensively—and we missed shots. To generalize it that we just didn’t make our shots, I think that’s hanging our hat on shooting too much. Yes, we’re a great shooting team and we want to rely on that. But we want to be able to win games like we did the last game against them in the regular season when we didn’t score a lot of points.”
That 93-87 victory in Phoenix on March 21 was the Suns’ only one in four tries against Portland.
In Game 1, the performance was not just about the numbers for a Phoenix team that entered the playoffs winner of 14 of its last 16 games.
“We didn’t quite have the spirit or the energy collectively that we had in the last few games of the regular season,” Nash said. “Sometimes that happens.”
But in a game this important?
“You can never predict. I mean, I thought we played hard. I just thought we didn’t quite have that spark that we needed,” he said. “I don’t know— biorhythms.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/preview?gid=2010042021

One phrase is synonymous in all the interviews; make shots. It begs the question what if they don't. I really hope that is not the only plan. Will the Suns be able to occasionally dictate the pace in this series?

IMO. this is not just about the Suns winning, they have to win convincingly to put a dent in the young Blazers confidence.

Go Suns!!!

Last edited:

nashman

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One thing is when need to foul hard if the gaurds continue to try and go to the rim. We need to make them think twice about it being easy to get there! Amare needs to show up to play this game, its like he forgot how to pull up and hit a jumper last game. Hopefully we get some officials that know what fouls are tonight as well!

OP
OP
AfroSuns

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yep, especially Bayless, i noticed him and Amare getting into it a little last game.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
One phrase is synonymous in all the interviews; make shots. It begs the question what if they don't. I really hope that is not the only plan.

Portland is a good team. The Suns will have to play well to beat them. Playing well includes making shots. Portland also needs to make shots if they want to win. Neither team has the luxury of being able to win without decent shooting.

Will the Suns be able to occasionally dictate the pace in this series?

Sure, if they make their shots.

IMO. this is not just about the Suns winning, they have to win convincingly to put a dent in the young Blazers confidence.

The Blazers are led by Miller, Camby, and McMillan. Their confidence isn't going anywhere.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If Amare scores between 30 - 35 points the suns will win this game.IMHO :)
Anything significantly lower or higher... the suns will lose this game.IMHO:(

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Suns really need to bare down and make a statement in this game. Come out and impose our will on Portland. This is a team with too many holes right now not to attack them.

We cant just keep doing the pick and roll all day because they defend it so well. Work the ball and find good shots.

GO SUNS!

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
If Amare scores between 30 - 35 points the suns will win this game.IMHO :)
Anything significantly lower or higher... the suns will lose this game.IMHO:(

You're halfway there... Amare & J-Rich need to combine for 55 or more points. They do that and it's a guaranteed win. ;)

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
well lets go suns season is on the line tonight win series is a brand new one, we lose the season is basicaly over :(. I'm so nervous about tonight's game i'm not sure if I even want to watch it lol, but I probally will heh. GO SUNS!!!!! this is our house protect it.

Ninjafish

Registered
Reaction score
well lets go suns season is on the line tonight win series is a brand new one, we lose the season is basicaly over :(. I'm so nervous about tonight's game i'm not sure if I even want to watch it lol, but I probally will heh. GO SUNS!!!!! this is our house protect it.

Yeah, the Suns's last playoff series is too fresh in my mind to make me feel good about this game.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Leaning on jump shooting alone to win is one thing, but relying on it to win playoff games is always a gamble and forces a team like us to play uphill whenever the shooting isn't "lights out."

Ya'll know what i think. It seems that Portland has three focul points of getting their points with Roy out with injury: 1)Aldridge inside,and 2)Miller/Bayless on the perimeter. I'm not stupid so i wouldn't ask our guards to shutdown their guards......so the logical thing to do is takeaway Aldridge's points inside and force their guards to keep up with our guards in terms of scoring points. I like that matchup.

I don't care how well they defend us all night(and they will continue to defend us well IMO),if we can take away either Aldridge or Miller they'll be struggling to score 90 pts.....and IMO we can get to at least 100 even when defended well. We got 100 in game 1, no way we should allow the BLAZERS get over 100 w/out Brandon Roy.

IMO trying to force our uptempo in a 7 game series w/a team like the BLAZERS is a futile mistake. We've tried that for how many years now? It doesn't work that way....IT'S STILL the other team taking the ball out of bounds,using the full 24 sec, walking it up and using size & length to get offensive rebounds and 2nd shots(the SUNS have improved slightly in this area but aren't there yet).

BOTTOM LINE: I want to see us take something away from Portland and just continue to run OUR offense....if we do that then we can take back the momentum.

:suns:

Last edited:

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
getting so nervous almost game, i'm actually cleaning up the condo to make the time go by faster lol. GO SUNS!!!

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
No need to get nervous. We are the Suns, go in there with no expectations and you'll be fine. That's what I'm doing. Expecting another loss. We know we aren't the Lakers or the Magic or the Cavs. We're a good team that may or may not win. That's what I'm doing. Expecting another loss :)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Leaning on jump shooting alone to win is one thing, but relying on it to win playoff games is always a gamble and forces a team like us to play uphill whenever the shooting isn't "lights out."

Ya'll know what i think. It seems that Portland has three focul points of getting their points with Roy out with injury: 1)Aldridge inside,and 2)Miller/Bayless on the perimeter. I'm not stupid so i wouldn't ask our guards to shutdown their guards......so the logical thing to do is takeaway Aldridge's points inside and force their guards to keep up with our guards in terms of scoring points. I like that matchup.

I don't care how well they defend us all night(and they will continue to defend us well IMO),if we can take away either Aldridge or Miller they'll be struggling to score 90 pts.....and IMO we can get to at least 100 even when defended well. We got 100 in game 1, no way we should allow the BLAZERS get over 100 w/out Brandon Roy.

IMO trying to force our uptempo in a 7 game series w/a team like the BLAZERS is a futile mistake. We've tried that for how many years now? It doesn't work that way....IT'S STILL the other team taking the ball out of bounds,using the full 24 sec, walking it up and using size & length to get offensive rebounds and 2nd shots(the SUNS have improved slightly in this area but aren't there yet).

BOTTOM LINE: I want to see us take something away from Portland and just continue to run OUR offense....if we do that then we can take back the momentum.

:suns:

But aren't you suggesting that instead of doing what we do best we should do what we do worst? We absolutely would be a better team if we could take away something from Portland, I just don't think we have it in us.

Steve

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
But aren't you suggesting that instead of doing what we do best we should do what we do worst? We absolutely would be a better team if we could take away something from Portland, I just don't think we have it in us.

Steve
If you want to win playoff games you've got to be able to play defense in at least some capacity. I'm suggesting we do that instead of trying reinvent the wheel on offense because Portland is too big and long for us. We're a jump shooting team and thats the truth....IMO thats a weakness but it doesn't matter....thats who we are and that's how we got here.
Are you saying that we don't have the ability to take away anything that the BLAZERS want to do offensively?

cly2tw

Reaction score
As I envisioned, we put Hill on Miller. And we have been going to JRich a lot more early on. Good to see the adjustment working out well so far. :)

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
Much better tempo..keep pushing the ball and good things happen.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want to win playoff games you've got to be able to play defense in at least some capacity. I'm suggesting we do that instead of trying reinvent the wheel on offense because Portland is too big and long for us. We're a jump shooting team and thats the truth....IMO thats a weakness but it doesn't matter....thats who we are and that's how we got here.
Are you saying that we don't have the ability to take away anything that the BLAZERS want to do offensively?

No, I don't think we can. We have improved on defense but it's really our second team that does that for us. Our starters can score and they need to do that, anything else from them would be like trying to re-invent the wheel, IMO.

Steve

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I guess running into Suns players does not warrant offensive fouls.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoObstacles92