2010 Arizona Cardiinals Pre-Season Roster Predictions: Week 1

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
QB (4): 7-Leinart; 3-Anderson; 6-Hall; 19-Skelton.

As we have seen with Kurt Warner and QBs like Drew Brees and Tom Brady, the key to great quarterbacking is showing the ability to deliver the ball on time and with accuracy. Warner, Brees and Brady do not have big-time arms, but they all have exemplary timing and touch.

This is why the fast riser here is Max Hall. Sure, you want to doubt him because (a) he is a rookie; and (b) he's a mere 6-1, 201, and looks like a dwarf stranding next to the 6-5 trio of Leinart, Anderson and Skelton.

However, Kurt Warner was only 6-2, 214...Brees is 6-0, 209...and Brady is 6-3, 225.

The rookie part is what will keep Hall on the sidelines, at least for most of this year. But, stay tuned. Hall may very well be in the mix for the starting job as soon as next year.

Whiz may have wanted to keep Max Hall a secret...but ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported from what he saw and heard that the Cardinals are very high on Hall and that he was outperforming John Skelton, the team's 5th round pick. Thus, the Cardinals may have a far more difficult time trying to sneak Hall by waivers...which will be a moot point anyway if he wins the #3 job.

What about Skelton? The team can't cut him, not this soon, and not with the physical talents he possesses. Because of those talents, Skelton would be claimed on waivers by a team like Pittsburgh.

This will force the Cardinals to keep 4 QBs. With so much uncertainty about the futures of Leinart and Anderson in Arizona, the Cardinals would be wise to hold onto the two rookies anyway.

RB (3): 34-Hightower; 26-Wells; 36-Stephens-Howling.

Because the Cardinals will have to keep 4 QBs, they will likely have to trim down to 3 RBs, which leaves Jason Wright on the outside looking in. If Wright plays lights-out on STs this pre-season, he can make the case for the Cardinals to trim the roster elsewhere...but the ST talent on the team has been growing, so Wright has to make a great case.

FB (1): 32-Broughton

Charles Ali is the challenger, and had been playing well until his injury. He's going to have to return in time to beat out Broughton, which Ali is very capable of doing.

The wild card here could be Dominique Byrd...he would give the Cardinals some much needed roster flexibility if he could double as a FB/TE. The question is: can he block from the FB position? He can catch, we know that. Let's keep a close eye on him this week versus the Texans.

WR (5): 11-Fitzgerald; 15-Breaston; 80-Doucet; 14-Williams; 12-Roberts.

The Cardinal coaches developed a good rapport with Stephen Williams prior to the draft for three reasons: (1) they love tall WRs; (2) the other WRs other than Fitz are smaller possession types and thus Williams is the right complement; (3) they fully anticipated that with a good camp Williams could make the roster....and this is what makes the Cardinals so good at attracting UCFAs.

This should be a very interesting year for Steve Breaston. First of all, he is scheduled to become a UFA next year and is on the verge of earning himself a big long-term contract, if not with the Cardinals, with another team. Secondly, his game emerged the past two years because Anquan Boldin was often hurt and Breaston had the perfect QB throwing to him. Warner had a knack for knowing exactly when and where to throw the ball to Breaston. Again...it's all timing and accuracy.

Thus far, Breaston does not have that chemistry with Leinart or Anderson...which was in full evidence in the Red-White scrimmage. If this continues, Breaston will become extremely frustrated...which could lead to erratic play.

Doucet remains an enigma of sorts. He should be shining in the Arizona sun this year the way Breaston did the past two years and yet he's still standing in the shadows due to injury issues and inconsistencies.

Stephen Williams will not only make the team, he will have every opportunity to make the WR rotation and could wind up---at some point---passing by Breaston and Doucet.

With Roberts, the team needs to be patient. Neither Breaston nor Doucet were instant hits in training camp either. For now, if Roberts can earn his stripes as a punt returner the way Breaston did his first year, then he can buy the time to let the rest of his game develop.

So what about Onrea Jones? One thing is for sure, he will show up in the pre-season games, for he always has. And if he gets Max Hall throwing to him, he may put up some good numbers. But, the bottom line is, Jones will have to prove his worth on STs and continue to endear Whiz.

TE (3): 89-Patrick; 84-Becht; 83-Spach.

The injuries to Patrick and Becht give Stephen Spach and Dominque Byrd a chance to showcase their skills. Too bad Jim Dray is injured too, because he could have used this opportunity.

One thing would seem certain: Whiz won't have the luxury this time to keep 4 TEs on the roster...which is a good thing, especially when the TEs are medi0cre at best.

OL (9): 75-Brown; 66-Faneca; 63-Sendlein; 76-Lutui; 72-Keith; 74-Wells; 73-Bridges; 70-Hadnot; 67-Johnson.

What's great for these guys is getting to play every day against one of the most talented d-lines in the NFL. It will make playing against other lines seem like a reprieve.

Having Joey Porter is a real boost as well, because he's the kind of quick, explosive edge rusher the Cardinals have not had in recent years, thus the Cardinals' tackles of the last few years were not get the kind of daily practice they needed. Now they can.

It's too early in camp to expect the offensive line to have their chemistry and all the blocking schemes and assignments down pat.

While Wells is the RG for now, it's just a matter of time before Lutui emerges. All eyes will be on Faneca, and while he's had a hard time thwarting Calais Campbell, so will most other LGs. Faneca also knows how to pace himself at his age as he rounds himself into game shape.

The wild cards are Jeremy Bridges and Rex Hadnot. Bridges is insurance at tackle and Hadnot is insurance at guard and center. They are vital to the depth. Both still have a chance to win starting jobs...and the coaches will be watching carefully.

The only real question is whether backup center Ben Claxton will make the team again. If Rex Hadnot is getting a fair share of play at center this pre-season, the answer would seem obvious. However, if the Cardinals are more comfortable with Claxton at center, they may try to trade one of the guards...because they are not going to keep 10 o-linemen on the roster.

NT (3): 97-Robinson; 98-Watson; 92-Williams.

As of right now the Cardinals will keep three NTs...but this is not ideal in the least. Watson's been playing the best thus far. Hmmm.

DE (4): 90-Dockett; 93-Campbell; 91-Iwebema; 78-Branch.

Jeremy Clark has been making a push...but this unit seems set.

ILB (4): 51-Lenon; 58-Washington; 56-Walker; 52-Beisel.

What's so curious about the release of Ali Highsmith is the lack of depth at WILB. It looks like the coaches are prepping Lenon and Washington to be the starters at SILB and WILB respectively.

The wild card here is the diminutive Togafau...but Reggie Walker is a better fit at SILB, and Monty Beisel is more versatile (can play both spots).

OLB (5): 53-Haggans; 55-Porter; 59-Davis; 50-Brown; 57-Baggs

For now Mark Washington is on the outside looking in...but with some good pre-season games, he could not only win a roster spot, but he could make the case for the Cardinals to keep 6 OLBers.

CB (5): 29-Rodgers-Cromartie; 28-Toler; 37-McBride; 27-Adams; 47-Miller

"Money" Mike Adams' and Justin Miller's ST prowess wins them the spots.

S (4): 24-Wilson; 25-Rhodes; 22-Ware; 49-Johnson

Abdullah and Rouse are in the picture, but Abdullah's been injured and Rouse needs to stand out to have a chance. In either case, the top four safeties are pretty well set.

ST (3): 4-Feely; 5-Graham; 82-Leach

Leach is too valuable to be playing backup TE. I think it would be very interesting if Whiz tried Herman Johnson as a situational blocking TE.

PS (8): RB-Smith; T/G-Pestock; TE-Dray; DE-Clark; LB-Johnson; LB-Washington; CB-Calvin; CB-Green.

As they say, "Let the games begin!"

With each week, let's see how our roster predictions change...that's the fun of pre-season games, isn't it?!:newcards:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
OL (9): 75-Brown; 66-Faneca; 63-Sendlein; 76-Lutui; 72-Keith; 74-Wells; 73-Bridges; 70-Hadnot; 67-Johnson.

Don't be to fast to put Herman Johnson on the roster. He is very much so in the dog house right now with coaches. It isn't being talked about much but the guy came into camp more over weight then Lutui did. They want Lutui to lose 20 or so pounds, Big Baby has to actually loss more then that. Herman Johnson is very much so on the chopping block right now.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch.

Agree with most of it, but there is no way the Cards carry 4 Qbs on the active roster, they will carry 3. And no way with the new offense they only carry 3 RBs, they will carry 4. JMHO.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch, well thought out & pretty much the way I see it also.

2 things:

1)I've been saying it all along, if Max Hall goes on the practice squad he will be claimed at some point of the season. He will have a long NFL career.

2) Doesn't the secondary of Tolar (upside, unknown), Adams, McBride & Miller scare the hell out of you? Oh my... I still think Miller has no business being on this roster even with his return abilities.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch.

Agree with most of it, but there is no way the Cards carry 4 Qbs on the active roster, they will carry 3. And no way with the new offense they only carry 3 RBs, they will carry 4. JMHO.

Agree. And the number #3 is the guy they've invested the most in - Skelton. They''ll try to move Hall to PS, and probably will. The chances that a team will give precedence on their 53 man roster to a UDFA who they've not seen in their own camp is slim and none.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Thanks Mitch.

Agreed. There has been NO indication whatsoever that Jason Wright will be cut; the coaching staff loves the guy and he gives you flexibility to be a spot starter if we have RB injuries, he plays special teams fairly well, he's a decent 3rd down back, AND he can play a bit of FB.

Let's not live in fantasy land here! Max Hall will have to absolutely light it up to make the roster over a draft pick, and despite some love for Hall, most indications so far point to Max Hall looking like a mixed bag so far. Hall is a perfect PS candidate, and it's doubtful any team will claim a small QB with no experience and questionable arm strength.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Don't be to fast to put Herman Johnson on the roster. He is very much so in the dog house right now with coaches. It isn't being talked about much but the guy came into camp more over weight then Lutui did. They want Lutui to lose 20 or so pounds, Big Baby has to actually loss more then that. Herman Johnson is very much so on the chopping block right now.

Man, that's dissapointing. The kid has potential too. but if he's that undiciplined, he doesn't have a chance here.

I wonder if the Saints have been fattening him up on the sly this offseason - ;(

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Where would you find information like that?

Longcolts

Registered
Reaction score
Whisenhunt commented on that when he was on KTAR being interviewed by Doug and Wolf. According to him Johnson may have a difficult time even making the squad at all this year. He said he was really disappointed in his lack of commitment and his work ethic.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where would you find information like that?

Was wondering the same thing. I believe we would have truly heard something of this nature in print from Urban or Somers. Not just Joe.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Johnson is the second team RT and has been DEMOLISHING people in camp.

He is in zero danger of getting cut.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Whisenhunt commented on that when he was on KTAR being interviewed by Doug and Wolf. According to him Johnson may have a difficult time even making the squad at all this year. He said he was really disappointed in his lack of commitment and his work ethic.

You almost never hear any coach say anything like that in public. Well Buddy Ryan maybe. So why haven't more people commented on that radio segment? Seems odd to me that it would go unnoticed.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good stuff Mitch, well thought out & pretty much the way I see it also.

2 things:

1)I've been saying it all along, if Max Hall goes on the practice squad he will be claimed at some point of the season. He will have a long NFL career.

I don't understand all the love for Max Hall. IMO he will be lucky to even make the practice squad.

2) Doesn't the secondary of Tolar (upside, unknown), Adams, McBride & Miller scare the hell out of you? Oh my... I still think Miller has no business being on this roster even with his return abilities
No, if we start the season with DRC, A-dub, Rhodes and Toler (or whoever wins), the secondary is the least of my concerns save for RB and DL.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't understand all the love for Max Hall. IMO he will be lucky to even make the practice squad.

No, if we start the season with DRC, A-dub, Rhodes and Toler (or whoever wins), the secondary is the least of my concerns save for RB and DL.

Let's just hope that DRC has learned where he's supposed to be in the zone. Or that Davis has other plans for the secondary. Green Bay made DRC look lost in the playoff game. Couldn't even cover #41. A Tight End wearing #41 and our pro-bowl CB can't cover him!?!?!? And then we get Adub who can't even cover a guy with a bum leg in the Saints game. Meanwhile, earlier this morning, Jermichael Finley beat our secondary for yet another 27 yard catch.

I know DRC bruised his knee early in the GB game but a bum knee won't make you drop into the wrong place in the zone or bite too hard on play action.

Our secondary can hardly cover anyone and can't tackle at all. It is a huge concern imo.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Our secondary can hardly cover anyone . It is a huge concern imo.

Hasn't it always been? In all my years of Cards football (40) this team has always sucked in the secondary & looked for that 2nd CB to go with Werhli, Aeneas & DRC. Hope we're not still looking.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
As much as the coaches would love to protect both Hall and Skelton, we are still very much in win now mode. We can't afford to give up two roster spots to QBs who aren't even going to be active on game days. It is nearly impossible for a team to carry 4 QBs with the way the NFL does it's inactive rules (where you can only have 2 active and if the 3rd must come in the first cannot come back).

I think whoever loses out between Skelton/Hall gets cut and sneaks on to the PS only to be picked up mid-season when some other team who's QB play has failed them and is out of the playoff race picks him up.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hasn't it always been? In all my years of Cards football (40) this team has always sucked in the secondary & looked for that 2nd CB to go with Werhli, Aeneas & DRC. Hope we're not still looking.

Yeah, why is it that the Cards always have guys like Jay Taylor and Cedric Mack starting in their secondary?

And continuity? Forget it. Just look at all the guys who they've had at Free Safety since the Cards drafted Adrian Wilson.

Kwamie Lassiter, Dexter Jackson, Ifeani Ohalete, Robert Griffith,Terrance Holt, Antrel Rolle and Kerry Rhodes. 7 different guys in 10 seasons.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a team who claims someone from the practice have to put him on the active roster?

I don't see that happenng with Hall

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't a team who claims someone from the practice have to put him on the active roster?

I don't see that happenng with Hall

They are referring to the time between Hall being cut and before signing to the practice squad. During that period they are a FA and available to sign anywhere.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Did yall watch Max Hall play much in college? He was generally a turnover machine in most big games. When he dealt with above average college athletes he failed. JMHO.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Honestly I don't think it's a competition at all.

Max Hall is not going to unseat John Skelton for a roster spot. We essentially traded a starting CB for John Skelton. I doubt the coaching staff is going to cut a guy that hasn't even had one NFL season under his belt and they traded a decent amount to get him.

Every report I've read has not been glowing on Max Hall. I've heard some good things, but I also remember hearing how great Chris Griesen was, or how great Preston Parsons was too...

Catfish

Registered
Reaction score
Nice work Mitch-----I am thinking that you might just be correct about the O-line getting a reprieve when it comes to games. Practicing agains our D-line must be very disconcerting to the offense. You're right about them getting better as they go, because practicing against the best always makes you better. I see Lutui displacing Wells at RT, and Levi should be better at LT than he was at RT. Keith seems to be everything the coaches said he was, and barring injury, figures to be our RT of the future for some time to come. I think Faneca wins the LG spot, and Sendlein has been solid at C. I don't know what to think of Herman Johnson----(I am surprised to hear about the alleged weight problem and lack of effort that JoeSchmoe talked about).

While I believe your assesment of Hall as the darling of the coaching staff, I just don't see them keeping 4 QB's. I don't think they will have trouble keeping him on the PS, (strictly from his physical shortcomings). He just should not look that attractive to other teams, especially if he does no literally light up the team when he gets his work. The fact that he will do so with mostly other third stringers, should help keep that from happening.

I like the idea of keeping one FB and having a TE/H-back as another option. We might have the luxury of having a guard available for trade if we can't pick up another ILB or CB from cuts.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Whis was probably calling out Herman Johnson to let him know that he thinks that he can prepare better. Past indicators (when he called out Alan Branch) suggest that Whis DOES think he highly of Johnson's ability. I doubt Johnson gets the axe this camp, but his future with the team probably depends on how he reacts to Whisenhunt's direct challenge.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Every report I've read has not been glowing on Max Hall. I've heard some good things, but I also remember hearing how great Chris Griesen was, or how great Preston Parsons was too...

Not to mention BSP. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard