2010 Arizona Cardiinals Pre-Season Roster Predictions: Week 1

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Re: Hall - I guess that depends upon the value that the organization see's in him. Why could another team use one of their limited number of PS spots for Hall but the Card's couldn't? Either they place that value in him or they don't.

Re: B-Rob, it wouldn't surprise me either way. But it depends more upon Watson and Williams than on Robinson.

A lot of teams don't necessarily have a developmental quarterback already at #3 on their roster--they have a long-term veteran like Brian St. Pierre. It's about reps. A player isn't going to get better without reps. They knew what they had in BSP--he didn't need the reps. You can't develop either player fully if you're splitting the limited number of 3rd team reps between Max Hall and John Skelton.

Forgot to put the word eventually in there. They aren't going to keep a guy who they don't feel has "it." They obviously felt that way when they drafted him, but seeing a guy first hand in practice can change that. I am almost certain though, that Whis won't hold a roster spot for a purely developmental what if that hasn't shown him anything and create a depth issue at another position when we are still trying to win the division this year. He certainly won't carry 4 Qbs with 2 guys being rookies who don't seem ready to play this season. Not unless we have a number of PUP players, in which case the 4th QB might make it only to be cut mid-season.

I'm sure they saw John Skelton first hand in practice when they worked him out before the draft.

They'll keep either Hall or Skelton. The Cards aren't going to keep 4 QBs when they can't develop all of them. They didn't last season and they had far less long-term potential at the position.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks, Mitch. You know I always enjoy these.

But congratulations, I never in my life thought I'd hear (or read) a member of the Togafau family described as "diminutive". Don't know him, but I know a bunch of his cousins. (Southern California Samoan community.) I know we're talking football terms here, but I'm going to smile over that one for the rest of the evening.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
It will be very interesting to see the free agents and rookies in action this week. From the various TC reports, it would seem these are the general impressions thus far:

Free Agents/New Veterans:

High Impact:

55-OLB Joey Porter: high motor as advertised. His signing brought 9-0 back to Arizona for OTAs---which has yieleded very positive results.

25-S Kerry Rhodes: with Porter has helped to take the defense's energy and tenacity to a far higher level.

4-K Jay Feely: has brought a big leg with accuracy and a passion for the game.

Solid Impact:

66-G Alan Faneca: while he has struggled somewhat in pass protection, which has been the flaw in his game in recent years, he has brought a veteran savviness, stability and smashmouth mentality to an offensive line that is young and that has been reshuffled.

51-LB Paris Lenon: the coaches have been impressed with his consistent play and understanding of the defense...at a position of utmost need.

22-S Matt Ware: was one of the catalysts for the defense's impressive goal-line stand in the Red-White scrimmage and seems to be emerging as a veteran leader.

3-QB Derek Anderson: Was the most productive and effective QB at the Red-White scrimmage. Has brought the big arm, but still struggles with consistency.

57-OLB Stevie Baggs: has shown edge quickness and strength and could be this year's situational rusher a la Bertrand Berry.

37-CB Trumaine McBride: the coaches have liked how savvy he is..but he's been battling injuries. Could wind up on the bubble.

97-NT Bryan Robinson: he's still starting, and that says something positive about Robinson, but not something as positive about his challengers.

98-NT Gabe Watson: appears highly motivated, lighter and more dispruptive. Can he win the starting job?

Bubble Watch:

41-S Hamza Abdullah: has been hurt and faces an uphill battle to make the roster.

84-TE Anthony Becht: injuries have slowed his participation. The team need him to have a big year.

52-ILB Monty Beisel: has not been the same player since injuring his back two years ago and now sits on the bubble.

73-T/G Jeremy Bridges: haven't heard much from him, although one would assume he remains a valuable backup, spot starter.

86-TE Dominique Byrd: Whiz has been trying to create an H-back type role for him, but now he's injured.

70-G/C Rex Hadnot: like Bridges, not much noise from him as of yet.

17-WR Onrea Jones: still looks like he's on the outside looking in.

45-FB Reagan Mauia: he can bust through walls, but can he bust through linebackers?

85-WR Darren Mougey: hasn't done enough to put his name in the WR discussion.

95-ILB Pago Togafau: has now been running with the 1st team at SILB and this aggressive ankle biter has a chance to make a big impact.

96-OLB Mark Washington: haven't heard much about him thus far.

35-S Aaron Rouse: got burned on his first practice, but has been improving since. Had a nice pick two days ago.

39-CB Trevor Ford: has good size and athleticism and could make this roster if he delivers the goods.

Draft Picks:

It's only been two weeks thus far, but the performance of this class has been rather uneventful and underwhelming thus far.

92-NT Dan Williams: his lack of conditioning is a red flag and is particularly disappointing for a first rounder. Seems like he's already found himself in TC survival mode. The hope has to be that once the games start he gets his drive going. Beanie Wells started out a little out of shape to start with las year and he caught on. Hopefully Williams will do the same.

58-ILB Daryl Washington: has shown the speed and agility the team drafted him for. Is still picking up the system, but needs to get on the fast track because of the team's glaring need at ILB.

12-WR Andre Roberts: has not hit the ground running as well as many of us hoped for. Has been inconsistent catching the football, which was not the case for him at The Citadel. But, he's shown good flashes and still has a good shot at being the punt returner.

48-OLB O'Brien Schofield: has been rehabbing on the PUP list, as expected.

19-QB John Skelton: has showcased the big arm but really struggled with the nuances of QB play. The lack of accuracy thus far is a red flag.

21-CB Jorrick Calvin: has not made much of a splash at all thus far and at this point has little chance of making the roster.

81-TE Jim Dray: injuries have slowed him, which unfortunately has been a redundancy him the past few years.

Undrafted Rookies:

There seems to be more splashing going on here, which is a pleasant surprise, as 14-WR Stephen Williams has been outstanding, 6-QB Max Hall has seized a firm grasp of the offense and already possibly the #3 QB job, 18-WR Max Komar who may emerge as the Lance Long of this year's camp...and keep an eye on 30-CB Marshay Green who is sneaking up the depth chart...he and 46-RB Alfonso Smith who has some real wheels. With the need at ILB, perhaps 43-ILB Chris Johnson can open some eyes.

Let the games begin!

Last edited:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Concerning Faneca:

Does his "average" pass protection really matter ?

I don't remember either Wells or Lutui lightining it up in pass protection last year. Especially Wells who was getting blown out a lot.

So, while we didn't improve the pass protection of our guard position, there is no doubt that we improved our run blocking, which again, I was not nearly impressive enough last year at the guard position.

Not to mention that Faneca KNOWS the system better than anyone on the line. I consistantly question Sendlien's strength, AND head when it comes to calling out line audibles. I think Faneca is going to Sendlien MUCH better center with a little help on dissecting what he sees and calls on the line.

95-ILB Pago Togafau: has now been running with the 1st team at SILB and this aggressive ankle biter has a chance to make a big impact.

LOL, Bravo. Great description.

As for Alfonso Smith. It is the main reason I will watch the 3rd and 4th quarter of this up coming game. I keep hearing he has SERIOUS SERIOUS speed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Concerning Faneca:

Does his "average" pass protection really matter ?

I don't remember either Wells or Lutui lightining it up in pass protection last year. Especially Wells who was getting blown out a lot.

So, while we didn't improve the pass protection of our guard position, there is no doubt that we improved our run blocking, which again, I was not nearly impressive enough last year at the guard position.

Not to mention that Faneca KNOWS the system better than anyone on the line. I consistantly question Sendlien's strength, AND head when it comes to calling out line audibles. I think Faneca is going to Sendlien MUCH better center with a little help on dissecting what he sees and calls on the line.

LOL, Bravo. Great description.

Great points about Faneca, Rugby!:newcards:His veteran leadership can galvanize this line. Levi Brown has been raving about lining up next to him, and your points about Lyle Sendlein are spot-on.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Rugby, Lutui was an excellent pass protector last season, but "average" pass pro from Faneca would be an upgrade over how he's played the last half-decade. In the last five seasons, Faneca has allowed 30 sacks, including 6.5 last season when the Jets passed less than any team in the NFL. For comparison's sake, Reggie Wells allowed 10.25 sacks in the past five years.

Faneca may be a strength in run blocking, but he was such a liability in pass pro that the Jets paid him $6 million to be nowhere near their franchise quarterback. How complicated could Russ Grimm's blocking system be, if it takes more than four years to master it? It's not like Levi Brown, Lyle Sendlein, and Deuce Lutui are new to the system. Even Brandon Keith is entering his third year in the system.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
Faneca has played for QBs who have a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. Big Ben is notorious for this and it's one of the reasons why he gets sacked so much every year. Last year Faneca was playing with a rookie QB.

Sure, Faneca's strength is his run blocking, no question. But if his pass protection was as egregious as some are trying to make it out to be, he wouldn't have been a perennial Pro Bowler...and a shoo-in Pro Bowler at that.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Rugby, Lutui was an excellent pass protector last season, but "average" pass pro from Faneca would be an upgrade over how he's played the last half-decade. In the last five seasons, Faneca has allowed 30 sacks, including 6.5 last season when the Jets passed less than any team in the NFL. For comparison's sake, Reggie Wells allowed 10.25 sacks in the past five years.

Faneca may be a strength in run blocking, but he was such a liability in pass pro that the Jets paid him $6 million to be nowhere near their franchise quarterback. How complicated could Russ Grimm's blocking system be, if it takes more than four years to master it? It's not like Levi Brown, Lyle Sendlein, and Deuce Lutui are new to the system. Even Brandon Keith is entering his third year in the system.

As you know I am a big believer in continuity being critical to success for an offensive line. While the Cards are moving guys to new positions those players do have years of experience blocking for the Cardinals. So maybe the moves won't be as much of a hit to our continuity as if they had brought in 3 new guys?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
he wouldn't have been a perennial Pro Bowler...and a shoo-in Pro Bowler at that.

I do this myself from time to time, so this isn't a knock on you its a knock on fans around the world including myself. We do we still use the pro bowl as if it validates a player being good or bad. I from now on will not be doing that after this last pro bowl. The pro bowl is made up of name players or players with reputations. That is how voting is done 95% of the time. Even the players know this and its why more then 20 of then I believe last year decided to not even make the trip.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Faneca has played for QBs who have a tendency to hold onto the ball too long. Big Ben is notorious for this and it's one of the reasons why he gets sacked so much every year. Last year Faneca was playing with a rookie QB.

Sure, Faneca's strength is his run blocking, no question. But if his pass protection was as egregious as some are trying to make it out to be, he wouldn't have been a perennial Pro Bowler...and a shoo-in Pro Bowler at that.

Nick Mangold only gave up 2 sacks last season, same as when he was playing in front of Brett Favre. Brandon Moore only gave up 1/2 sack. Damien Woody gave up only 2.5 sacks.

Yes, D'Brickashaw Ferguson gave up twice as many sacks in 2009 as in 2008, but it's pretty clear that Faneca has always given up too many sacks as an offensive lineman, even when his team hardly passes at all. Maybe it's just that Mark Sanchez was only holding the ball too long when the pass rush was coming from the left side?

As we all know, the Pro Bowl is the ultimate standard for excellence in the NFL, especially for long-term veterans and extra-especially on the offensive line. Just ask Flozell Adams, or Leonard Davis, or Walter Jones, or Chris Samuels, or Brian Waters.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
But concerning Faneca I think the good out weighs the bad.

For a pretty young OL I think his leadership will do wonders for the front 5. We have never had a leader on the OL since Wiz got here. Someone who is vocal and shows by example. There was a story on how the young guys, Levi, Lyle, Lutui, Keith, and Herman just follow him around like little puppy dogs to watch how he goes out and practices, how he watches film, how he takes notes in meetings, and so on. Still a really good and consistent run blocker as well. So I think it is an upgrade over Wells, so again I will take the bad with the good.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
But concerning Faneca I think the good out weighs the bad.

For a pretty young OL I think his leadership will do wonders for the front 5. We have never had a leader on the OL since Wiz got here. Someone who is vocal and shows by example. There was a story on how the young guys, Levi, Lyle, Lutui, Keith, and Herman just follow him around like little puppy dogs to watch how he goes out and practices, how he watches film, how he takes notes in meetings, and so on. Still a really good and consistent run blocker as well. So I think it is an upgrade over Wells, so again I will take the bad with the good.

I think he's an upgrade over Wells, but that's not saying much, IMO. I think that he'll be an improvement over Reggie in the running game, and probably a little bit worse in pass protection (although Reggie wasn't great in pass pro last year, either). If the Cards can run the ball 51% of the time, I guess that's an overall upgrade.

Still, the Jets are paying him $6 million to not protect their franchise quarterback from oncoming rushers...

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think he's an upgrade over Wells, but that's not saying much, IMO. I think that he'll be an improvement over Reggie in the running game, and probably a little bit worse in pass protection (although Reggie wasn't great in pass pro last year, either). If the Cards can run the ball 51% of the time, I guess that's an overall upgrade.

Still, the Jets are paying him $6 million to not protect their franchise quarterback from oncoming rushers...

And D'Brickashaw Ferguson was vocal in saying how important Faneca had been to his development, and regrets Faneca's departure.

Treefiddy

Richard Cranium
Reaction score
As tenuous as our QB position is it would not shock me if we grabbed or traded for a QB if one came available vs putting so much stock into developing either of the #3 or #4 on the active roster. Lets face it neither of those guys will help us this season if we have injuries or poor play from #1 & #2. If there was anyone experienced worth having (unlikely) after cuts pick him up cut #3 & #4 and put whichever one clears waivers on the PS. Bulger would be a welcome fit in the mix right now.

If the Cards (or any NFL team) had to go to their 3rd QB because of injury or poor play, the season is over for that team anyway. May as well get Skelton or Hall some real game experience if that happens.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
And D'Brickashaw Ferguson was vocal in saying how important Faneca had been to his development, and regrets Faneca's departure.

Well, D'Brickashaw Ferguson has been the biggest disappointment as a highly-drafted OT that we've seen in a while. Bigger than Levi Brown (I know). 23.75 sacks allowed his first two seasons. Faneca shows up and that number drops to 4 sacks (how much of this is Favre is hard to say). Then last year Ferguson gives up 8 sacks and a career high in penalties.

So if the development has been from a guy who was a huge bust into a guy that's among the middle of the pack among OTs, then congratulations.

Never draft an offensive lineman from Virginia. In fact, I might stay away from players from Cavaliers altogether.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Well, D'Brickashaw Ferguson has been the biggest disappointment as a highly-drafted OT that we've seen in a while. Bigger than Levi Brown (I know). 23.75 sacks allowed his first two seasons. Faneca shows up and that number drops to 4 sacks (how much of this is Favre is hard to say). Then last year Ferguson gives up 8 sacks and a career high in penalties.

So if the development has been from a guy who was a huge bust into a guy that's among the middle of the pack among OTs, then congratulations.

Never draft an offensive lineman from Virginia. In fact, I might stay away from players from Cavaliers altogether.

A new 60 million dollar contract between the Jets and Ferguson, says their not quite as disappointed as you.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
A new 60 million dollar contract between the Jets and Ferguson, says their not quite as disappointed as you.

Of course, that's only true until you read the fine print:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/09/a-little-funny-money-in-the-dbrickashaw-deal/

It's a one-year, $5.3225 million contract with a team-held option on the balance of the deal -- and not a single dollar guaranteed for injury.

But the contract includes $1.3 million in incentives that become earned only if Ferguson participates in 97 percent or more of the special teams plays in 2015 and 2016 -- and if he blocks at least seven punts each year.

Yes, the team's starting left tackle cannot hit the maximum value of his deal without blocking seven punts in 2015 and seven punts in 2016.

The contract also contains $4 million in what's called a "training camp completion bonus." The annual payments in the amount of $1 million, due in 2014 through 2017, are available only if the player shows up for all of training camp, and "fully and satisfactorily participates" in it. The device likely is aimed at raising the stakes of a holdout four or more years from now, if/when Ferguson looks at the balance of the contract and compares it to contracts signed by other left tackles over the next four years and concludes that he wants a new deal.

If he makes his displeasure known at any point in 2014 through 2017 by showing up even one day late for camp or lollygagging once he gets there (not that any NFL player would ever do that), Ferguson loses the money.

Chances are that Ferguson won't be thrilled with this deal at some point in the future, even if he avoids serious injury in 2010 and triggers the future base salaries that are guaranteed for skill only.

joeshmo, whom I trust on contract matters more than anyone, referred to the extensions that the Jets have handed out so far as "a joke."

So, no, I really don't think that the Jets are ready to commit to Ferguson for the next six years.

mrbyte

Be careful what you wish for.
Reaction score
The reason I think we keep 4 RB is that Wright acted as an emergency FB last year and I heard Whiz talk about this as another string to his bow.
With our FB situation and Wrights ST play I think they will keep him around

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
It will be very interesting to see the free agents and rookies in action this week. From the various TC reports, it would seem these are the general impressions thus far:

Free Agents/New Veterans:

High Impact:

55-OLB Joey Porter: high motor as advertised. His signing brought 9-0 back to Arizona for OTAs---which has yieleded very positive results.

25-S Kerry Rhodes: with Porter has helped to take the defense's energy and tenacity to a far higher level.

4-K Jay Feely: has brought a big leg with accuracy and a passion for the game.

Solid Impact:

66-G Alan Faneca: while he has struggled somewhat in pass protection, which has been the flaw in his game in recent years, he has brought a veteran savviness, stability and smashmouth mentality to an offensive line that is young and that has been reshuffled.

51-LB Paris Lenon: the coaches have been impressed with his consistent play and understanding of the defense...at a position of utmost need.

22-S Matt Ware: was one of the catalysts for the defense's impressive goal-line stand in the Red-White scrimmage and seems to be emerging as a veteran leader.

3-QB Derek Anderson: Was the most productive and effective QB at the Red-White scrimmage. Has brought the big arm, but still struggles with consistency.

57-OLB Stevie Baggs: has shown edge quickness and strength and could be this year's situational rusher a la Bertrand Berry.

37-CB Trumaine McBride: the coaches have liked how savvy he is..but he's been battling injuries. Could wind up on the bubble.

97-NT Bryan Robinson: he's still starting, and that says something positive about Robinson, but not something as positive about his challengers.

98-NT Gabe Watson: appears highly motivated, lighter and more dispruptive. Can he win the starting job?

Bubble Watch:

41-S Hamza Abdullah: has been hurt and faces an uphill battle to make the roster.

84-TE Anthony Becht: injuries have slowed his participation. The team need him to have a big year.

52-ILB Monty Beisel: has not been the same player since injuring his back two years ago and now sits on the bubble.

73-T/G Jeremy Bridges: haven't heard much from him, although one would assume he remains a valuable backup, spot starter.

86-TE Dominique Byrd: Whiz has been trying to create an H-back type role for him, but now he's injured.

70-G/C Rex Hadnot: like Bridges, not much noise from him as of yet.

17-WR Onrea Jones: still looks like he's on the outside looking in.

45-FB Reagan Mauia: he can bust through walls, but can he bust through linebackers?

85-WR Darren Mougey: hasn't done enough to put his name in the WR discussion.

96-OLB Mark Washington: haven't heard much about him thus far.

35-S Aaron Rouse: got burned on his first practice, but has been improving since. Had a nice pick two days ago.

39-CB Trevor Ford: has good size and athleticism and could make this roster if he delivers the goods.

Draft Picks:

It's only been two weeks thus far, but the performance of this class has been rather uneventful and underwhelming thus far.

92-NT Dan Williams: his lack of conditioning is a red flag and is particularly disappointing for a first rounder. Seems like he's already found himself in TC survival mode. The hope has to be that once the games start he gets his drive going. Beanie Wells started out a little out of shape to start with las year and he caught on. Hopefully Williams will do the same.

58-ILB Daryl Washington: has shown the speed and agility the team drafted him for. Is still picking up the system, but needs to get on the fast track because of the team's glaring need at ILB.

12-WR Andre Roberts: has not hit the ground running as well as many of us hoped for. Has been inconsistent catching the football, which was not the case for him at The Citadel. But, he's shown good flashes and still has a good shot at being the punt returner.

48-OLB O'Brien Schofield: has been rehabbing on the PUP list, as expected.

19-QB John Skelton: has showcased the big arm but really struggled with the nuances of QB play. The lack of accuracy thus far is a red flag.

21-CB Jorrick Calvin: has not made much of a splash at all thus far and at this point has little chance of making the roster.

81-TE Jim Dray: injuries have slowed him, which unfortunately has been a redundancy him the past few years.

Undrafted Rookies:

There seems to be more splashing going on here, which is a pleasant surprise, as 14-WR Stephen Williams has been outstanding, 6-QB Max Hall has seized a firm grasp of the offense and already possibly the #3 QB job, 18-WR Max Komar who may emerge as the Lance Long of this year's camp...and keep an eye on 30-CB Marshay Green who is sneaking up the depth chart...he and 46-RB Alfonso Smith who has some real wheels. With the need at ILB, perhaps 43-ILB Chris Johnson can open some eyes.

Let the games begin!

I forgot to mention the three young UCFA o-linemen to take look at tonight: 69-T Casey Knips (6-8, 300, SDakSt.); 68-G/T Tom Pestock (6-6, 317, NWMoSt.) and 60-G/C David Moosman (6-5, 293, Michigan)...in addition to a returning PS player the coaches like in 79-G Jonathan Palmer (6-4, 336, Auburn).

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
WEEK 2: CARDINALS 19 TEXANS 16

UPDATED ROSTER PREDICTION:

QB (4): 7-Leinart; 3-Anderson; 19-Skelton; 6-Hall.

In light of Skelton's red-hot performance I moved him ahead of Hall...but I still believe that because of the general uncertainty (present and future) at QB, Whiz will keep all 4.

Skelton threw the best passes of the night, the most impressive of which was the go pass up the sideline to Max Komar. Skelton threw that pass just the Warner used to throw that pass: with a rising trajectory that enables the ball to climb up and drift down to where the WR can run under it. In this case, Komar made a spectacular diving catch.

The interesting thing is, it wasn't until Skelton entered the game that a Cardinal QB threw the ball deep or up the sidelines. Until that point, virtually every pass was over the short to intermediate middle, save a dump pass to Hightower and couple of flat passes to Reagan Mauia.

As interesting is the fact that Whiz stayed with the struggling Anderson as long as he did. Clearly, Whiz wanted to stay with Anderson long enough to have him redeem himself. This may indicate that the QB competition is closer than people realize.

Anderson's problem wasn't his arm...it was his subpar timing. He was throwing the ball too quick and too hot. What compounded the timing problem was Anderson's slow and lumbering drops. Thus, he was much much better throwing from the pocket...but this is an offense where Whiz would love to throw a good deal of play action and Matt Leinart is heads and shoulders better at it than Anderson.

As for the drops...one thing to consider is the adjustment the WRs have to make going from Leinart to Anderson, not just in terms of how faster the ball arrives from Anderson, but how the spins and tails of the football are in reverse. That may seem like a potentially insignificant nuance, but actually it can cause drops, especially if the pass is not a tight spiral.

What I loved about Skelton was the third down out pass he threw to Andre Roberts...he pinpointed it and he didn't over-gun it. Impressive too was the way Skelton sold the slip screen to Jason Wright...Skelton looked very well coached out there.

To say that Matt Leinart played well is an overstatement. While you can't blame Leinart for some of the other breakdowns from other players...what you can't be happy with is the lack of production when he was in the game. Yes, he threw a nice pass on a rope to Fitz, that thank goodness Fitz wasn't seriously hurt on...which shows progress from the same pass he threw to Boldin too high in Week 17 that landed Boldin on the sidelines. But the throws Leinart made were safe and cautious...the kind of throws that any NFL QB should be able to complete. The two yard dump pass on 3rd & 6 epitomized Leinart's safe and cautious approach to the game. No interception...but another potential drive ended.

Plus, had Reggie Wells not pounced on the embarrassing trip and blown handoff Leinart made to Hightower, today's reviews of Leinart's overall play might be a little more tepid.

RB (3): 34-Hightower; 26-Wells; 36-Stephens-Howling; 31-Wright.

Why Beanie Wells was playing deep into the 2nd half of this game is mind-boggling. The good thing is that the Cardinals second string o-line is pretty good...but for a player who is nursing sore ribs and is such a key figure in the offense this year to be playing with second stringers in a meaningless pre-season game, is assinine.

Again, I think Whiz was feeling desperate about giving Derek Anderson a chance to leave on a positive note...and to get at least some production offensively that he resorted to keeping Wells in the game.

The Cardinals' depth at RB beyond TH and Beanie, with regard to the kind of RB you want to give the ball to 10 or more times, is a question mark, as LSH, Jason Wright and Alfonso Smith are all 3rd down RB types. It wouldn't surprise me if Whiz goes heavily after Willie Parker if Parker is the odd RB out in DC.

It was mysterious that LSH was left out of this game on offense...but we know that LSH has a role and will be used in his role come Game 1.

Jason Wright and Alfonso Smith made good cases for themselves in this game. I added Wright back to the roster this week.

FB (1): 32-Broughton

Reagan Mauia made a case for himself in this game, not only with a real good block on the goal-line to set up the first TD, but by making two good tackles on STs. In addition, he showed good hands (2 catches)...which for a player his size is impressive. Mauia is in the thick of the competition now.

WR (5): 11-Fitzgerald; 15-Breaston; 80-Doucet; 14-Williams; 12-Roberts.

The Cardinal coaches developed a good rapport with Stephen Williams prior to the draft for three reasons: (1) they love tall WRs; (2) the other WRs other than Fitz are smaller possession types and thus Williams is the right complement; (3) they fully anticipated that with a good camp Williams could make the roster....and this is what makes the Cardinals so good at attracting UCFAs.

This should be a very interesting year for Steve Breaston. First of all, he is scheduled to become a UFA next year and is on the verge of earning himself a big long-term contract, if not with the Cardinals, with another team. Secondly, his game emerged the past two years because Anquan Boldin was often hurt and Breaston had the perfect QB throwing to him. Warner had a knack for knowing exactly when and where to throw the ball to Breaston. Again...it's all timing and accuracy.

Thus far, Breaston does not have that chemistry with Leinart or Anderson...which was in full evidence in the Red-White scrimmage. If this continues, Breaston will become extremely frustrated...which could lead to erratic play.

Doucet remains an enigma of sorts. He should be shining in the Arizona sun this year the way Breaston did the past two years and yet he's still standing in the shadows due to injury issues and inconsistencies.

Stephen Williams will not only make the team, he will have every opportunity to make the WR rotation and could wind up---at some point---passing by Breaston and Doucet.

With Roberts, the team needs to be patient. Neither Breaston nor Doucet were instant hits in training camp either. For now, if Roberts can earn his stripes as a punt returner the way Breaston did his first year, then he can buy the time to let the rest of his game develop.

I left these comments from last week because they still apply.

The other player rising up the chart is Max Komar. At the very least he just made the PS with his play this week...assuming Todd Haley doesn't claim him.

TE (3): 89-Patrick; 84-Becht; 83-Spach.

Dominique Byrd did little to make his case for the roster, but Jim Dray made quite a statement with the level of his play (2 nice catches and solid blocking). It's good to see the Cardinals throwing to the TEs...Spach was wide open for a nice catch as well

OL (9): 75-Brown; 66-Faneca; 63-Sendlein; 76-Lutui; 72-Keith; 74-Wells; 73-Bridges; 70-Hadnot; 67-Johnson.

Despite his holding call, I thought Deuce Lutui played very well. I was happy he was in the game when Beanie was still getting late second half carries. I also thought the second line played well...all of them...Bridges, Hadnot, Claxton, Lutui and Johnson. This is the deepest and most talented o-line in Cardinals' history.

I am not worried about Brandon Keith. There's no one he goes against in practice that's as strong, big and explosive as Mario Williams...it's good he can learn and adjust from the beating he took on that first sack. I thought he countered well after that.

I am not worried about Alan Faneca in the least. I watched him every snap and he was good. Leinart's second sack was not Faneca's fault. Leinart was too late shuffling his feet to avoid the pressure and slipped. Faneca had ridden his man to the side.

NT (3): 98-Watson; 92-Williams.

Watson is playing better than B-Rob. Williams played well, IMO. He is quick for his size and can even chase plays to the sideline and finish them with a bang.

DE (4): 90-Dockett; 93-Campbell; 91-Iwebema; 78-Branch.

Iwebema and Branch played well.

ILB (4): 51-Lenon; 58-Washington; 56-Walker; 95-Togafau.

Lenon was a man out there (what a great and much needed surprise), and really needs to be shifted over to MILB in order to get Washington on the field. Togafau is gaining ground...he was in the middle of what caused the fumble on the goal-line and he and Washington seemed to have some good chemistry. Walker did not play, so we'll have to see him next week. Beisel started and made one good tackle...but the defensive star of the game was Daryl Washington, whose speed and tenacity are outstanding. He's like having another Adrian Wilson as a blitzer. Wow!

OLB (5): 53-Haggans; 55-Porter; 59-Davis; 50-Brown; 57-Baggs

Davis was active and had some pressures. Brown was not as athletic I was hoping, nor did he fight off blocks well. Baggs was so-so. As a unit, I was most disappointed with them.

CB (5): 29-Rodgers-Cromartie; 28-Toler; 37-McBride; 27-Adams; 47-Miller

"Money" Mike Adams' and Justin Miller's ST prowess wins them the spots.

I will stick with that comment another week, although Marshay Green, Jorrick Calvin and Trevor Ford are knocking on the door, for real.

Toler looks like the real deal...which, with the play of Lenon and Washington, makes this defense more exciting to watch.

S (4): 24-Wilson; 25-Rhodes; 22-Ware; 49-Johnson

Abdullah and Rouse made some good plays, but they have an uphill battle to make it.

ST (3): 4-Feely; 5-Graham; 82-Leach

Feely was not at his best, but kickers have dead legs two weeks into camp, so give him some time. I am just glad that the game didn't end with Rackers missing a long FG. I would have hated that for him.

PS (8): RB-Smith; T-Knips; WR-Komar; TE-Dray; DE-Fletcher; CB-Calvin; CB-Green; CB-Ford.
Nice game ending sack by Fletch!:newcards:

Last edited:

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are still sticking with the 4 QB, 3 RB stance?

Not a bet, but if the Cardinals carry 4 QBs on active roster on opening day, I will pay for a years contributor membership to this site for you.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
You are still sticking with the 4 QB, 3 RB stance?

Not a bet, but if the Cardinals carry 4 QBs on active roster on opening day, I will pay for a years contributor membership to this site for you.

Actually, I have 4 QBs and 4 RBs this week...did you read my comments...I know they appear as a past quote but it was the only way I could keep the names and numbers the same...but the comments are new.

QB remains the MOST important position, jw7. If Whiz can keep 4 TEs two years in a row, he certainly can keep 4 QBs. I don't think he wants to risk losing either of the two rookies and at this point he can't have either one of the rookies be the #2.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, I have 4 QBs and 4 RBs this week...did you read my comments...I know they appear as a past quote but it was the only way I could keep the names and numbers the same...but the comments are new.

QB remains the MOST important position, jw7. If Whiz can keep 4 TEs two years in a row, he certainly can keep 4 QBs. I don't think he wants to risk losing either of the two rookies and at this point he can't have either one of the rookies be the #2.

Max Hall is nothing special at all. The team could certainly afford to lose him.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Yes, I misread the RB's, but my offer still stands.

We are talking 53-man active roster and not practice squad, right? 4qbs on an active roster is nuts!

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

I would be shocked and dismayed if the Cardinals kept 4 QB's...and I am 99.9% sure that won't happen.

Think of it this way...how many plays will the 4th QB play this year vs a 4th RB, TE, etc (think special teams as well). Max Hall wasn't drafted and will make it to our PS.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard