2007 Cardinals: The Whisard of AZ

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I must admit, I did not allow myself to get all that excited about the Cardinals' prospects of hiring Ken Whisenhunt as the next head coach. Like many of us, I believed that Whisenhunt was using the Cardinals' interest in him as leverege for getting the head coaching job he really wanted in Pittsburgh. I also felt quite certain that Whisenhunt would not be interested in holding on to the current Cardinal assistant coaches, which was likely going to be a sticking point for many or all of the Cardinals' head coaching candidates.

All that being said, I am now delirious that the Cardinals were able to sign Ken Whisenhunt. Here are the many reasons why:

1. He's young and driven.

2. As Len Pasquarelli of ESPN said, Whisenhunt is a "fearless playcaller."

3. As I have maintained all along, the Cardinals needed, this time around, to protect their greatest investment, QB Matt Leinart, by surrounding him with an offensive minded head coach. In Whisenhunt, Matt Leinart and the offense is in excellent hands.

4. He has a Super Bowl ring...and called great games during the Steelers' stretch as #6 seed to Super Bowl Champions (all road wins). And he called a great game in the Super Bowl, which, to me, means that he can deliver when the pressure is the highest.

5. He played in the NFL, so he's no stranger to the players' perspectives.

6. He did a very nice job developing Ben Roethlisberger in such a short time. Yes, Big Ben was off his game this year, but one has to wonder about all the adversity in Pittsburgh following Roethlisberger's motorcycle injury, concussions...and Bill Cowher's mysterious, yet readily perceivable ambivalence about coaching the Steelers this past year.

7. The excitement just thinking about the way Whis will use Anquan Boldin in Hines Ward's role. Now we need a Randle-El-like slot buster on the other side.

I am a tad surprised that Whis agreed to retain Clancy Pendergast as DC, but I am willing to give Pendy another chance to prove that he can run an efficiently productive and stingy defense, which hopefully will feature tight, ballhawking pass coverage this time around.

Pendergast has shown a strong ability to cater his defense to certain players' strengths...players such as Adrian Wilson, Chike Okeafor, Darnell Dockett and Karlos Dansby.

I must admit that I was hoping that Whisenhunt would bring the Steelers' vaunted 3-4 defense to Arizona by hiring one of the Steeler defensive coaches. The Cardinals have 3-4 personnel in place if they ever decided to make the switch. They could plug the massive Gabe Watson in at NT, play Dockett and Clancy at DTs, Dansby, Okeafor and perhaps Adalius Thomas (UFA) at OLB and Gerald Hayes and Monte Beisel at ILB. Perhaps Whis can discuss this option with CP...and CP has toyed with the 3-4 the past couple of years anyway.

It will be interesting to see how the staff takes shape in the days and weeks ahead....and what coaches Whis will be able to have join him from the staff in Pittsburgh.

As you know, I was hoping for Norm Chow, but...like I said, I didn't think the Cardinals had that great a shot at Whisenhunt...and because of Whisenhunt's youth, NFL playing experience and success as an NFL OC, I have to applaud the Bidwills and Rod Graves for this choice. The process certainly frustrated me...so I want to thank of all you who remained far more patient with the process than I. The key thing is...the Cardinals signed a first-rate talent and the kind of coach who can make football in Arizona very exciting for years to come.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I am just waiting for the first "Fire Wiz" thread after he cuts Shane Boyd.

;)

Im just messin with you.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The biggest step forward for this team is if Whisenhunt is able to eliminate the majority of mental errors that have plagued this team season after season. Stupid penalties, blown coverages, blown special teams assignments, careless turnovers; these things have just killed us, particularly early in seasons.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I am just waiting for the first "Fire Wiz" thread after he cuts Shane Boyd.

;)

Im just messin with you.

Great one, Joe!

Hey..Whis knows Boyd well...if he cuts him this time around, I won't complain.

But...I think Boyd will stick!

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
I like what he bring to the table, he is still young, he has played inthe NFL(I didnt know that), has learned under Cowher.

I would LOVE to see the 3-4 in AZ.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would LOVE to see the 3-4 in AZ.

It would probably take two offseasons to properly assemble the personell to run the 3-4 as a base. Our LBs are too little and our DEs are not good run stuffers. The only adequate piece we have on the roster is Watson. Hayes could be okay at one of the ILB spots too.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Love the fact that he's already on the phone lining up assistants and will have a full week to do so before heading off to Mobile next week. As others have mentioned, Anquan Boldin has to salivating at the prospect of how he'll be used next season.

doctor

Registered
Reaction score
What makes Whisenhunt different from the other so called "gurus" that Pittsburgh has offered out. Mularky, Gailey, Lebeau. They turned out to be fools gold. Let's face it Ben didnt look to good this year. Not ripping him....just what makes Whisenhunt different.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
What makes Whisenhunt different from the other so called "gurus" that Pittsburgh has offered out. Mularky, Gailey, Lebeau. They turned out to be fools gold. Let's face it Ben didnt look to good this year. Not ripping him....just what makes Whisenhunt different.

Exactly.

Hoping for the best, expecting disaster for over 33 years.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I like that he was a tight end coach, maybe he will realize we have a tight end who is the size of a house, and can catch a football.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I must admit, I did not allow myself to get all that excited about the Cardinals' prospects of hiring Ken Whisenhunt as the next head coach. Like many of us, I believed that Whisenhunt was using the Cardinals' interest in him as leverege for getting the head coaching job he really wanted in Pittsburgh. I also felt quite certain that Whisenhunt would not be interested in holding on to the current Cardinal assistant coaches, which was likely going to be a sticking point for many or all of the Cardinals' head coaching candidates.

All that being said, I am now delirious that the Cardinals were able to sign Ken Whisenhunt. Here are the many reasons why:

3. As I have maintained all along, the Cardinals needed, this time around, to protect their greatest investment, QB Matt Leinart, by surrounding him with an offensive minded head coach. In Whisenhunt, Matt Leinart and the offense is in excellent hands.

4. He has a Super Bowl ring...and called great games during the Steelers' stretch as #6 seed to Super Bowl Champions (all road wins). And he called a great game in the Super Bowl, which, to me, means that he can deliver when the pressure is the highest.

6. He did a very nice job developing Ben Roethlisberger in such a short time. Yes, Big Ben was off his game this year, but one has to wonder about all the adversity in Pittsburgh following Roethlisberger's motorcycle injury, concussions...and Bill Cowher's mysterious, yet readily perceivable ambivalence about coaching the Steelers this past year.

7. The excitement just thinking about the way Whis will use Anquan Boldin in Hines Ward's role. Now we need a Randle-El-like slot buster on the other side.

I am a tad surprised that Whis agreed to retain Clancy Pendergast as DC, but I am willing to give Pendy another chance to prove that he can run an efficiently productive and stingy defense, which hopefully will feature tight, ballhawking pass coverage this time around.

Pendergast has shown a strong ability to cater his defense to certain players' strengths...players such as Adrian Wilson, Chike Okeafor, Darnell Dockett and Karlos Dansby.

I must admit that I was hoping that Whisenhunt would bring the Steelers' vaunted 3-4 defense to Arizona by hiring one of the Steeler defensive coaches. The Cardinals have 3-4 personnel in place if they ever decided to make the switch. They could plug the massive Gabe Watson in at NT, play Dockett and Clancy at DTs, Dansby, Okeafor and perhaps Adalius Thomas (UFA) at OLB and Gerald Hayes and Monte Beisel at ILB. Perhaps Whis can discuss this option with CP...and CP has toyed with the 3-4 the past couple of years anyway.

It will be interesting to see how the staff takes shape in the days and weeks ahead....and what coaches Whis will be able to have join him from the staff in Pittsburgh.

As you know, I was hoping for Norm Chow, but...like I said, I didn't think the Cardinals had that great a shot at Whisenhunt...and because of Whisenhunt's youth, NFL playing experience and success as an NFL OC, I have to applaud the Bidwills and Rod Graves for this choice. The process certainly frustrated me...so I want to thank of all you who remained far more patient with the process than I. The key thing is...the Cardinals signed a first-rate talent and the kind of coach who can make football in Arizona very exciting for years to come.

Couldn't agree more with your assessement, but will pass on the 3-4 at this point. :thumbup:

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Maybe Steelers assistants becoming successful HC's are overdue!:)

sly fly

Devil Me This
Reaction score
I'm 100% behind the hiring of Whisenhunt. That being said, it's really tough to gauge what he's going to bring to the table.

No one can predict what kind of team personality a FIRST TIME head coach will bring. Just from the outside, these things come to mind...

- Seems to be extremely intelligent. A civil engineering degree means you can probably manage the game clock (re: the Dennis Green era).

- How much of Pitt's offensive philosophy was Mullarkey's? How much did Whisenhunt deviate from Mullarkey? What kind of offensive coordinator will he bring in?

- Seems to be as tough as nails.

- I'm sure he inherited some of Bill Cowher's leadership skills. And, that's not a bad thing.

- We'll get see see right away how good he is at reading good talent (draft). And, what kind of affect his presence has on free agents.

Welcome, Ken. If you can turn around this franchise... this city is all yours.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that he was a tight end coach, maybe he will realize we have a tight end who is the size of a house, and can catch a football.

Here's for hoping.

Honestly, I don't know a lot about this guy, so I appreciate your analysis, Mitch. I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

Well this is going to take away the fun for me of bagging on Mitch for his weekly DG rants :D because i agree that this was a good hire. If only they hired Chow, it would've been reversed. Then i could bag on him weekly with Mitch defending him. Of course, i liked DG so i'm the idiot :sad: .

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
Whisenhunt worked with Bill Cowher who used the following criteria in building the Steeler team:

Don’t sign big-name and big-price free agents.

Build your talent base through the draft.

Sign your own talent to long-term contracts when you still have control of them before they become free agents.

Let players go one year early rather than one year late.

Sign mid-level free agents to fill holes i.e. Kimo von Oehlhoffen, James Farrior, Cedrick Wilson.

It will be interesting to see if he will apply that same rationale here in Phoenix.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard