Cards say offers for trade down are picking up

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
That’s cause we have PTSD from the Texans success. Imagine if Stroud/Richardson went 1-2 and Carolina traded up with us for Young…
I think the problem is, with Minnesota's roster, if they have a decent QB... we're probably talking about another pick in the 20s like the Texans one. One has to start looking at those picks in recent years and question if we really think we're capable of picking difference makers that late in the round.

This team really needs a superstar, I think, just to give the fans something to root for at least.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I get what you are saying, but I don't believe we have that luxury after stripping down the roster of most of it's above average talent.
Yea we stripped the roster to tank and get talent like Marvin. Why trade back when its a chance its more Byron Murphy and Zach Allen level talents. Ya know guys we let walk.
I think the problem is, with Minnesota's roster, if they have a decent QB... we're probably talking about another pick in the 20s like the Texans one. One has to start looking at those picks in recent years and question if we really think we're capable of picking difference makers that late in the round.

This team really needs a superstar, I think, just to give the fans something to root for at least.
Lions knew to not pass Penei Sewell and Aidan Hutchinson like talent when they were rebuilding.

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

That’s the gamble for sure. Can Minnesota win more than 6/7 games with McCarthy or Darnold in that division?

Vikings Home Opponents: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers of the NFC North; Arizona Cardinals and San Francisco 49ers of the NFC West; Houston Texans and Indianapolis Colts of the AFC South; Atlanta Falcons of the NFC South and New York Jets in the AFC East

Vikings Road Opponents: Chicago Bears, Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers of the NFC North; Los Angeles Rams and Seattle Seahawks of the NFC West; Jacksonville Jaguars and Tennessee Titans of the AFC South; New York Giants of the NFC East

outcent13

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
They won 7 games last season with Dobbs and Dreck starting games.
I’m aware, I’m just saying thats the gamble you are taking by making the trade.

Im more and more in the stick and pick camp and think MHJ is gonna be a perfect fit here. However, I am ok having something to discuss over the last couple of months as well.

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score

Can't disagree with what you're saying here. The only saving grace there is if you can swap 11 and 27 for pick 5. You still get MHJ and pick 23 instead of 27. Then next year's number 1 from MN is just gravy at that point. So wouldn't matter where the pick is it's still allows you to get two of the top 32 picks.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Took the words out of my mouth.

If JJ McCarthy or Sam Darnold can even be a middle of the road QB next season they probably make the playoffs. With Justin Jefferson and Aaron Jones healthy that's an even more compelling argument.
That's a huge "if"

The Vikings weren't good enough last year to win games with bad QB play.

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Those extra picks better turn into pro bowlers or better in a hurry. The success of trade down is going be weighed against what MHJ does with Herbert & Chargers. MHJ putting up Keenan Allen numbers this season after passing on him feels just like the what the football gods love to do to torment this franchise.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Can't disagree with what you're saying here. The only saving grace there is if you can swap 11 and 27 for pick 5. You still get MHJ and pick 23 instead of 27. Then next year's number 1 from MN is just gravy at that point. So wouldn't matter where the pick is it's still allows you to get two of the top 32 picks.

I think Harbaugh sounding so anti-WR in interviews is calculated. They have no WR’s and he watched MHJ cook his Wolverines in b2b years. If we trade back the #5 pick will be IN right away IMO.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yeah, I just don't think it's going to be as easy as moving up for that cheap. Lots of teams want those top 3 receivers. I'm not sold that the Chargers are just going to be happy with moving out of receiver territory and starting Josh Palmer and Quentin Johnson. Or that the Giants are going to pass on a receiver. They could all go very fast.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I get what you are saying, but I don't believe we have that luxury after stripping down the roster of most of it's above average talent.

That’s exactly why you do it. This team isn’t one player away. We need to restock the shelves.

We need to much and investing in a WR when your QB can’t even stay healthy is a mistake

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That’s exactly why you do it. This team isn’t one player away. We need to restock the shelves.

We need to much and investing in a WR when your QB can’t even stay healthy is a mistake
How many years do we get to use that excuse? I feel like I'll keep hearing this in 3, 4, 5 years. There will always be excuses why chasing the magic beans and future picks makes more sense than drafting Big Johns. Why, I even saw a trade proposal on this board where we traded back with the Vikings, GAVE UP more draft capital THIS season in order to get more picks NEXT year. Nah. No thanks. Just stick and pick, please. Don't chase magic beans, don't chase the future, don't trade out of blue chip range. Do the sensible thing for once.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It comes down to what Monti thinks after evaluating MHJ, Nabers, and Odunze.
One thing is certain. If Monti passes on MHJ because he believes Odunze is a better fit, he better be right.
Passing on MHJ will get Monti roasted like a marshmallow here.
If we draft MHJ and he turns out less than all pro will be forgiven easier than NOT choosing MHJ and he turns out to be what 99% of the experts believe he is.
We have enough picks. Take MHJ and don’t look back.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Looking at a bunch of mock drafts where they have the Cardinals trading #4 the best one (which I hate) is 4 for 11 & 23, then trading 11 & 27 for #8. So basically moving down 4 spots from 4 to 8 and up 4 spots from 27 to 23. They must think Graves is still GM, surely MO would not do that trade, would he?

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
As we get closer to the Draft, the more I'm convinced that we'll stay at #4 and draft MHJ if he's available or Nabers if he's not. And we'll start the season with NFL ready units in all 'rooms'. Making the Playoffs, imo, will depend on staying healthy. Understand that is a 'Half Full' look, but it's based on how far we've come in a year. And, naturally making good draft choices.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Looking at a bunch of mock drafts where they have the Cardinals trading #4 the best one (which I hate) is 4 for 11 & 23, then trading 11 & 27 for #8. So basically moving down 4 spots from 4 to 8 and up 4 spots from 27 to 23. They must think Graves is still GM, surely MO would not do that trade, would he?
Oh that's totally fair!

NOT!