The Ayton Plan

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure how this is overblown. Ayton literally doesn’t want to play in Phoenix anymore. Same situation as Durant who doesn’t want to play in BK. It’s pretty damning considering Ayton has spent most of his basketball career in AZ and still wants out.
Back in the 80's I had a job with far too much stress and far too little compensation for my responsibilities. Six times in a five year period I reached the point where I couldn't take it any longer. I told my wife I was quitting, submitted my resume, even cleaned out my office and was talked out of it all six times. Yeah they gave me significant raises each time and basically bought my soul time and again but the point is, it isn't always written in stone until it is.

We believe you, Ayton is unhappy and wants out. I think some of us don't necessarily believe there can't be a resolution to the situation that allows us to keep him in Phoenix. Maybe you're right and the situation is beyond repair in which case we're just wasting our time hoping for something that can't happen but hey, that's what fans do.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that is because it is what the Suns want to give up, not necessarily what the Nets want.
That doesn't make sense because the rumors around the Lakers, Jazz and Heat have been similar.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Not sure how this is overblown. Ayton literally doesn’t want to play in Phoenix anymore. Same situation as Durant who doesn’t want to play in BK. It’s pretty damning considering Ayton has spent most of his basketball career in AZ and still wants out.

did i miss some statement from Ayton or his agent that verifies that he "literally doesn’t want to play in Phoenix anymore?"

OR

is it all of our assumptions,
including mine,
that he feels under-valued and would like to be somewhere where he can make more money
-- a feeling we've all had about most of our jobs, but got over when we got a raise or promotion.

we assume,
he wants to be appreciated more, a feeling we've all had on and off within our family and friends circle

have we not all felt like running away from home as kids? especially after being scolded by a parent?

there are a quite a few differences between Ayton and Durant's situations. Durant has a couple of years left on his aspirations and just played on one of the most dysfunctional teams in NBA history. Ayton just played on a historic 64 win team with, perhaps, the best reputation of comradery and mutual respect up until the very end of the season

how "bad" could it be if only a few months ago Ayton was talking about the unity of the team and how much he's grown and appreciates the influence Chris Paul has had on him?

how bad could it be if your coach just won Coach Of The Year (and was runner-up last year) primarily because of how well he fostered team chemistry?

let's keep it real
the only thing that we know is really "bad" is that Ayton wants the max money he's qualified for, and as of yet, no one is willing to pay him that.

Last edited:

Sparky16

All Star
Reaction score
Back in the 80's I had a job with far too much stress and far too little compensation for my responsibilities. Six times in a five year period I reached the point where I couldn't take it any longer. I told my wife I was quitting, submitted my resume, even cleaned out my office and was talked out of it all six times. Yeah they gave me significant raises each time and basically bought my soul time and again but the point is, it isn't always written in stone until it is.

We believe you, Ayton is unhappy and wants out. I think some of us don't necessarily believe there can't be a resolution to the situation that allows us to keep him in Phoenix. Maybe you're right and the situation is beyond repair in which case we're just wasting our time hoping for something that can't happen but hey, that's what fans do.
He plays friggen basketball for powerball money annually. Doesn't take a whole lot of thought to put in a couple hours a day into doing shoot arounds. Its not like he is a work out warrior either, his body has not developed any more since he arrived.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth. Red flags or just some personal thoughts? I tend to think the latter.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look around the NBA. Most good centers are not one dimensional, example Nikola Jokic.

I read the comments as Deandre wanted to expand his game.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? When he says he's mastered the big man role WHICH HE DOESN'T LIKE, that is pretty telling.

People are stuck thinking the NBA is the same as when they grew up. None of these big men are bangers anymore. Embiid, Joker, AD, KAT all play facing the basket a lot.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Ayton leave because the coach couldn't adapt to the talent and skills of a key player on the roster. This is likely why the Mavericks switched coaches. Coaches need to adapt to the talent on the roster.

This is one of the reasons Jalen Smith is no longer around.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Look around the NBA. Most good centers are not one dimensional, example Nikola Jokic.

I read the comments as Deandre wanted to expand his game.

Right

It’s to the point with Ayton if he even says he thinks he’s a good NBA player guys on here will talk about how he’s delusional he is how he just doesn’t get it

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Ayton leave because the coach could adapt to the talent and skills of the player. This is likely why the Mavericks switched coaches. Coaches need to adapt to the talent on the roster.

Yup

Picking Monty over any of these guys is a huge mistake

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did everyone forget Monty was here a year before Paul was? What did Ayton do then? I know it was his second season but Trae Young and Luka were making All-Star teams in their second seasons while Ayton got a PED suspension.

He hasn't grown like some claim and he also hasn't really sacrificed either. His usage rate is very similar despite taking almost 3 less shots a game. His 2nd season that was the highest it's been at 23.7 and now it's 21.4. His minutes have gone down since the Suns brought in a good backup, Ayton went from averaging 32.5 mpg down to 29.7 last season.

His FG's have dropped some but that can be blamed on his lack of aggression. He averaged 14.9 in year 2 while averaging 12.0 last season. Despite dropping 3 FG attempts a game though his usage is essentially the same and his PPG is only down 1 whole point, from 18.2 to 17.2.

His free throw rate has been stagnate because he isn't aggressive. His lowest FT total was his second season, which is when he was used the most, averaging a paltry 2.3 attempts a game. Last season was 2.4 attempts. His highest was his rookie season where he averaged 2.7.

So he's gotten a little more efficient, which is nice, but he hasn't done anything to help increase his role as far as being able to put the ball on the floor for a shot or to draw a foul. He almost always passes or shoots within 2 seconds of getting the ball and I know the offensive philosophy is to move the ball but others try and create for themselves but Ayton doesn't unless he's spoonfed. That's on him.

Last edited:

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
I'd hate to see Ayton leave because the coach couldn't adapt to the talent and skills of a key player on the roster. This is likely why the Mavericks switched coaches. Coaches need to adapt to the talent on the roster.

I have a bad feeling this is what's going on and we are going to spend the next decade or two wishing we had another center as good as Ayton.

I heard the 98.7 guys on the radio this am talking about how the proposed deal Ayton, Bridges, 4 pics and 3 swaps for KD would be a great deal for the suns, I don't get it.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling this is what's going on and we are going to spend the next decade or two wishing we had another center as good as Ayton.

I heard the 98.7 guys on the radio this am talking about how the proposed deal Ayton, Bridges, 4 pics and 3 swaps for KD would be a great deal for the suns, I don't get it.

As I understand it, Ayton wouldn't work in a sign-and-trade for Durant because of the hard cap.

However, I understand what you are saying, some of the media plays fast and loose with trade ideas.

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Did everyone forget Monty was here a year before Paul was? What did Ayton do then? I know it was his second season but Trae Young and Luka were making All-Star teams in their second seasons while Ayton got a PED suspension.

He hasn't grown like some claim and he also hasn't really sacrificed either. His usage rate is very similar despite taking almost 3 less shots a game. His 2nd season that was the highest it's been at 23.7 and now it's 21.4. His minutes have gone down since the Suns brought in a good backup, Ayton went from averaging 32.5 mpg down to 29.7 last season.

His FG's have dropped some but that can be blamed on his lack of aggression. He averaged 14.9 in year 2 while averaging 12.0 last season. Despite dropping 3 FG attempts a game though his usage is essentially the same and his PPG is only down 1 whole point, from 18.2 to 17.2.

His free throw rate has been stagnate because he isn't aggressive. His lowest FT total was his second season, which is when he was used the most, averaging a paltry 2.3 attempts a game. Last season was 2.4 attempts. His highest was his rookie season where he averaged 2.7.

So he's gotten a little more efficient, which is nice, but he hasn't done anything to help increase his role as far as being able to put the ball on the floor for a shot or to draw a foul. He almost always passes or shoots within 2 seconds of getting the ball and I know the offensive philosophy is to move the ball but others try and create for themselves but Ayton doesn't unless he's spoonfed. That's on him.

I used to see Ayton huffing and puffing out there like his lungs were gone for the game. This year wasn't as noticeable since we had backups. Idk if its his conditioning or just something genetic. Weird for a guy who i rarely see sprint down to beat his guy or bang down low.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

What did Ayton do his second season after his suspension?

Before Chris Paul?
29 games
Scored double digits in every game
20+ 14 times
25+ 8 times of those 14
20 double doubles
57% shooting

All while being 20 yeah who wants that kinda production. That guy sucks.

You bring up Trae Young. Have you watched him? He’s far from some perfect player. Complain about Ayton being inconsistent but bring up Young who has ridiculous swings.

Trae young in the playoffs this year.
8/4
25/7
24/8
9/5
11/6

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ok, i'll be reasonable
i'll consider trading Bridges for Durant straight up
and they should be happy to do it considering he's got such a long career ahead of him, was runner-up for defensive player of the year, is among the highest percentage in offensive efficiency, and is as versatile a player as anyone could ask for

oh, and as opposed to their guy who has missed 60 or 70 games the past 2 years,
Bridges is the league's #1 Iron Man who never misses a game

yes, Angel, i stand by that post 100%
i might do that even trade, and not even be happy about it
but i didn't say i think we "can" do that trade
-- because the Nets are out of their minds

-- and, btw, so are the hosts on sports radio who say crap like trading Ayton, Bridges, and 4 picks "makes too much sense"
(yeah, i guess Kevin Durant in the phx market does make a lot of sense for their broadcast's ratings)

Last edited:

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I used to see Ayton huffing and puffing out there like his lungs were gone for the game. This year wasn't as noticeable since we had backups. Idk if its his conditioning or just something genetic. Weird for a guy who i rarely see sprint down to beat his guy or bang down low.

He’s a 7 footer who’s asked to switch on to guards on defense regularly

Do you think he’s gonna have the stamina of a 6’7 wing? He’s huge

Big Al

Veteran
Reaction score
It’s not surprising because it’s a very similar modus operandi to what most Lebron teams have done. Typically loading up on older vets to win now. And as should not be a shock to anyone, James jones was a part of those Lebron teams. It’s not a terrible plan when you’re actually a contender. The only difference for jones and Lebron is:

When the run is done, Lebron moves on to another team that can load up.

When the run is done, James jones will be
ok, i'll be reasonable
i'll consider trading Bridges for Durant straight up
and they should be happy to do it considering he's got such a long career ahead of him, was runner-up for defensive player of the year, is among the highest percentage in offensive efficiency, and is as versatile a player as anyone could ask for

oh, and as opposed to their guy who has missed 60 or 70 games the past 2 years,
Bridges is the league's #1 Iron Man who never misses a game
with a team with no young talent.
It shouldn't come down to this, Monty leaving, but a coach has to be able to adapt to the talent on the roster.
Yup coaches have to adapt to the talent & what's best for the team but all the players need to also.

Now if Ayton is butt hurt because the Suns didn't feel he was Max worthy he better be mad at the rest of the league too. As the league didn't rush with Max offers to him. Maybe Ayton can't wake up & get serious even with this evidence. We'll see wherever he plays next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson