The Ayton Plan

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah, that's a no from me as well. Bridges, Ayton, four picks and three pick swaps for KD is just not reasonable. Swap Bridges for Johnson and a fillers, take a couple of picks out, and I'd think about it.

If money solves all just pay Ayton.. place our draft picks and Cam Johnson with any other piece that is not Booker, Ayton, Paul, and Bridges on the table.. If the Nets want it then take it.. if not we just run it back. Let them deal with trying to fix their own drama. Kyrie wants to go to LA but which almost every scenario involves Westbrook. Durant and Westbrook seem like they don’t want to play together.. Let them figure out their own mess.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ayton/Bridges/4 1sts/3 swaps with Utah?

I bet the Suns think that's too much. (I do too)

Unless we're getting another decent wing back, (Clarkson or something like that) I'm not sure I'd do it.
That’s the absolute most I’d give and I wouldn’t be happy doing it. I’d be doing it because the alternative is walking away with just turner for Ayton.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yeah I don’t like how we’re the only ones giving up crazy picks
Pacers are big winners there. Nets as well as they send kd where he wants to go and also unload Simmons while getting back two good young players - one of which will be viewed as a star b

Utah doesn’t give up picks because they are giving up a star and taking a questionable contract (Simmons) back.

Nets don’t give up picks because they are giving up star.

Pacer only give a single pick (but I think they should give two, even if they are protected) because they could just sign Ayton outright. Then I send those two and remove two of our picks. Utah shouldn’t get 5 picks.

Germz249

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That’s the absolute most I’d give and I wouldn’t be happy doing it. I’d be doing it because the alternative is walking away with just turner for Ayton.

Is the situation with Ayton that bad? Would giving him max make him happy? I thought the Jazz were interested also.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Is the situation with Ayton that bad? Would giving him max make him happy? I thought the Jazz were interested also.
According to TJ money isn’t the issue, he’s gone. I’ve seen nothing that leads me to believe otherwise at this point.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton/Bridges/4 1sts/3 swaps with Utah?

I bet the Suns think that's too much. (I do too)

Unless we're getting another decent wing back, (Clarkson or something like that) I'm not sure I'd do it.
If we are giving up Bridges and all our picks and only getting back KD, yeah I think that is too much.

Unfortunatley I have a bad feeling that is probably what is about to happen.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
That trade doesn't mesh with what the Nets have been asking from every team. All the rumors are the same. When they talk to team they are asking for multiple 1st round picks in return. Makes complete sense. The Nets gave up a ton for Harden. They gave Houston three unprotected first-round picks in 2022, 2024 and 2026. Then they pick swapped with them in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027.

The Nets are trying to rebuild their draft stock. That deal doesn't get it done. It's not just about the players they can get now. The Nets have been pretty consistent with their asking price. I don't see them trading Kyrie or KD without pick compensation.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That trade doesn't mesh with what the Nets have been asking from every team. All the rumors are the same. When they talk to team they are asking for multiple 1st round picks in return. Makes complete sense. The Nets gave up a ton for Harden. They gave Houston three unprotected first-round picks in 2022, 2024 and 2026. Then they pick swapped with them in 2021, 2023, 2025 and 2027.

The Nets are trying to rebuild their draft stock. That deal doesn't get it done. It's not just about the players they can get now. The Nets have been pretty consistent with their asking price. I don't see them trading Kyrie or KD without pick compensation.
I've actually heard the opposite. Marks supposedly wants players now not draft picks, because he's worried about keeping his job.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've actually heard the opposite. Marks supposedly wants players now not draft picks, because he's worried about keeping his job.
Almost every trade rumor out there has multiple picks coming back to the Nets in their trade demands. Most of the trades suggesting the opposite have been fan or media driven. Look at all of the trade rumor articles and Tweets posted on this forum. They all have been pretty consistent.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Almost every trade rumor out there has multiple picks coming back to the Nets in their trade demands. Most of the trades suggesting the opposite have been fan or media driven. Look at all of the trade rumor articles and Tweets posted on this forum. They all have been pretty consistent.
I think that is because it is what the Suns want to give up, not necessarily what the Nets want.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
ok, i'll be reasonable
i'll consider trading Bridges for Durant straight up
and they should be happy to do it considering he's got such a long career ahead of him, was runner-up for defensive player of the year, is among the highest percentage in offensive efficiency, and is as versatile a player as anyone could ask for

oh, and as opposed to their guy who has missed 60 or 70 games the past 2 years,
Bridges is the league's #1 Iron Man who never misses a game

Reaction score
I don’t want to include Bridges for Durant trade.
I don't want to include anyone for Durant trade, including Durant.

But the idea of the Nets trading Durant for nothing but Bridges, straight up, is absurd. It requires the sort of negotiation posture where you assume your partner's an idiot. Danny Ainge might have done that, knowing him; but I wouldn't.

Last edited:

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't want to include anyone for Durant trade, including Durant.

But the idea of the Nets trading Durant for nothing but Bridges, straight up, is absurd. It requires the sort of negotiation posture where you assume your partner's an idiot. Danny Ainge might have done that, knowing him; but I wouldn't.
Nobody thinks we can get Durant for Bridges straight up.

We are simply saying we are ok trading everything else we have besides Mikal - and Booker of course.

Fumats20

Veteran
Reaction score
I don't either but $10 million or so over a 4 year contract is not worth losing Ayton over when other players like Jalen Brunson are earning over a $100 million for 4 years.
3.8, 8.3, 7.8, 17.3/10.2
.425/.392/.88
4 years $100 mil

And his team got whipped by an Indiana team with a castaway that wasn't even 60 days old.

The Suns really should be ashamed of themselves.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The draft is overrated if your front office sucks and can’t scout. It wasn’t always this way for the Suns

There was a time when we couldn’t miss. Finley, Nash, Marion, STAT, Barbosa

Even recently Booker, Bridges, Ayton, Cam Johnson and Stix all look like they have a future.

Good teams invest in scouting and the future.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The draft is overrated if your front office sucks and can’t scout. It wasn’t always this way for the Suns

There was a time when we couldn’t miss. Finley, Nash, Marion, STAT, Barbosa

Even recently Booker, Bridges, Ayton, Cam Johnson and Stix all look like they have a future.

Good teams invest in scouting and the future.
I’m not too worried about future picks because there are so many factors a) lottery luck b) getting the right guy (I mean teenager) c) developing him correctly... Hell look at 2015, if Kaminsky isn’t taken we don’t get Book. A lot is out of your control.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Yes, it's bad. Ayton feels slighted that he sacrificed his development in 20-21 for the betterment of the team and that it was not recognized in the form of a 5-year max contract last offseason. Ayton wants more offensive responsibilities and Monty wasnt willing to accomodate.

As for potential suitors, I think the Pacers are the prohibitive favorites to land DA at this point as theyve long coveted him. I have nothing solid to back this up with, but I'm confident there are others and we're just not privy to it. Jazz, Spurs, Kings? I'm also not 100% sold that the Nets dont want DA.

1tinsoldier

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yes, it's bad. Ayton feels slighted that he sacrificed his development in 20-21 for the betterment of the team and that it was not recognized in the form of a 5-year max contract last offseason. Ayton wants more offensive responsibilities and Monty wasnt willing to accomodate.

i disagree. It's not bad, it's overblown. The Lakers and 3 teams in the East, mainly Durant's Nets, had real bad issues. This Ayton stuff is more of the garden-variety -- both sides wanting more from each other. Greedy agent, immature player. Common stuff teams go through and can get through.

it's fair to say Ayton wanted more offensive responsibilities, but i'd say Monty, and everyone else, wanted him to have even more than he really could handle. With Ayton not being aggressive enough to get open and hold on to passes, the responsibility was more his than anyone else's, and he's not mature enough or experienced enough to understand that -- yet.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
i disagree. It's not bad, it's overblown. The Lakers and 3 teams in the East, mainly Durant's Nets, had real bad issues. This Ayton stuff is more of the garden-variety -- both sides wanting more from each other. Greedy agent, immature player. Common stuff teams go through and can get through.

it's fair to say Ayton wanted more offensive responsibilities, but i'd say Monty, and everyone else, wanted him to have even more than he really could handle. With Ayton not being aggressive enough to get open and hold on to passes, the responsibility was more his than anyone else's, and he's not mature enough or experienced enough to understand that -- yet.

Not sure how this is overblown. Ayton literally doesn’t want to play in Phoenix anymore. Same situation as Durant who doesn’t want to play in BK. It’s pretty damning considering Ayton has spent most of his basketball career in AZ and still wants out.