Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
On the radio today they mentioned CP3 could opt out of his contract after this season. Maybe a smart play for him to leverage into a 3-4 year deal. Its possible the suns could need a point guard sooner. I thought he was locked in for two years.
I think most believed there was no way he would opt out of that gargantuan contract, but his play has really proved kinda ageless so maybe he’s got one more big contract left in him.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think most believed there was no way he would opt out of that gargantuan contract, but his play has really proved kinda ageless so maybe he’s got one more big contract left in him.
Yeah. I didn't really think it would be an option before the year started, but now you never know. I hope they don't worry about it too much at the moment. The Suns are in win-now mode. While they are still not favorites or anything for a championship, they are close enough to take advantage of injuries or problems with other teams should the opportunity arise.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the radio today they mentioned CP3 could opt out of his contract after this season. Maybe a smart play for him to leverage into a 3-4 year deal. Its possible the suns could need a point guard sooner. I thought he was locked in for two years.

Chris Paul has a player option for $44,211,146 next season.

If that should happen, that's when one wishes the Suns had drafted Haliburton even more.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Chris Paul has a player option for $44,211,146 next season.

If that should happen, that's when one wishes the Suns had drafted Haliburton even more.
That number makes me think he won't be opting out though. I don't see him making near that amount on the open market. Especially considering he would almost certainly want to go to a contender if he were to opt out.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That number makes me think he won't be opting out though. I don't see him making near that amount on the open market. Especially considering he would almost certainly want to go to a contender if he were to opt out.

If there is bright side, if a team were interested it would likely have to be a sign and trade.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
First of all, we ARE a contender. What if he opted out and we decided to sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract at 15 per? That frees up a lot of money for us to get that final piece that may put us over the top. He seems to like Phoenix and is still playing at a high level. It's just a matter if he wants that 44 for one year and the pull in a bunch more for more years, or if he's happy with stretching that out a few years to get slightly more than 44 and have a real chance at a title with a team that's never won it.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
First of all, we ARE a contender. What if he opted out and we decided to sign him to a 3 or 4 year contract at 15 per? That frees up a lot of money for us to get that final piece that may put us over the top. He seems to like Phoenix and is still playing at a high level. It's just a matter if he wants that 44 for one year and the pull in a bunch more for more years, or if he's happy with stretching that out a few years to get slightly more than 44 and have a real chance at a title with a team that's never won it.
That is an option. I guess it just depends on what CP3 wants most. Where does his family live? Money, chance for a title, living close to home--all could be factors. CP3 makes a lot of money in endorsements etc, so I doubt money will be the biggest factor.

He seems like one of those players who will end up coaching or running a franchise one day.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
That is an option. I guess it just depends on what CP3 wants most. Where does his family live? Money, chance for a title, living close to home--all could be factors. CP3 makes a lot of money in endorsements etc, so I doubt money will be the biggest factor.

He seems like one of those players who will end up coaching or running a franchise one day.
For sure. He's definitely got that Grant Hill aura about him. If he likes playing in Phoenix and we get far enough but lose to a team like the Lakers that went big, I could see CP3 as one of a handful of NBA players that might entertain something like that. Opt out, sign a 4 year deal at 15 per, and towards the end of the deal he can almost instantly jump on Monty's staff if that's where he wants to go. And with the money saved we can sign another big.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Paul opts out of a 1 year deal for $44,211,146 and accepts a 4 year deal at $60 million?

I don't think so.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Paul opts out of a 1 year deal for $44,211,146 and accepts a 4 year deal at $60 million?

I don't think so.

yeah. No way.

if he opts out, considering escalating salaries and good health two years in a row while make major impact, I’m guessing he’s gonna be seeking something like 4/100 million. And might get it.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah. No way.

if he opts out, considering escalating salaries and good health two years in a row while make major impact, I’m guessing he’s gonna be seeking something like 4/100 million. And might get it.

Maybe on the unlikely chance the Suns win a championship this season otherwise I hope they don't chase that kind of contract.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Geez, it was just an idea. The math wasn't the point. Even 25 per would save money.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe he thinks there's a place for him next to Lebron if Dennis doesn't reach a deal? We all know he wants to be back in LA.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Yeah, he would only opt out for more guaranteed money. Not the 44m, but 44M + whatever deal he anticipates he can get after the 44M is up. At this rate, I can totally see a team throwing him a 2 year 40M deal after next season is up. So at minimum, he'd need a 3 year 80ish M a year to consider it. Cheese's 4 yr/100m suggestion seems pretty spot on..

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He’s prez of the players asc. so no way will a pay cut be considered.

I have no idea what he'll do but are you suggesting he wouldn't consider trading 45 million next season for a 4 year 80 million dollar deal along with a championship or two?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I have no idea what he'll do but are you suggesting he wouldn't consider trading 45 million next season for a 4 year 80 million dollar deal along with a championship or two?
That’s all we were speculating about. But people are flipping out.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

No because the Suns are not going to have cap space to improve the team regardless of him opting out. They’d lose his bird rights anyway.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
No because the Suns are not going to have cap space to improve the team regardless of him opting out. They’d lose his bird rights anyway.
I’m no cap guy so maybe you can tell us, is there no difference between 45m next year and 20m next year? And if CP3 does something like that, which would be highly unusual and very pro-Suns, are Bird Rights really a consideration? The guy is 35 and that deal would likely be the last of his career.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually I was thinking about him signing elsewhere with an LA based contender.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I’m no cap guy so maybe you can tell us, is there no difference between 45m next year and 20m next year? And if CP3 does something like that, which would be highly unusual and very pro-Suns, are Bird Rights really a consideration? The guy is 35 and that deal would likely be the last of his career.

The Suns are projected to be roughly $12m over the cap. If you erase CP3’s cap number his cap hold would still take up all of the remaining space. The Suns have their first Rd pick, Mid level exception and possible trades to improve the team this summer.

Reaction score
Hard to believe the Suns are first with the 2nd best record in the league. I gave up on them when Sarver took over. I thought he had ruined the franchise forever. Loved watching the Suns when Colangelo owned the team.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson