Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Back-up point guard haunted us the entire SSOL duration. Was such a steep offensive drop off when Nash wasn't on the floor. Joe was able to fill that role and keep the offense flowing nicely when he was here, on top of what he brought us at shooting guard. One JJ contributed the equivalent of two or three players. Would've been worth every penny imo.

I agree but they’d be even thinner than they were without Bell and Diaw... Sarver isn’t maxing Joe and Amare the same summer then giving Raja $25m either. You take Joe over them but there’d still be issues.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Sorry but Lamelo Ball is not better than anyone on that list.
Perhaps you missed the “rankings based on future potential” part of the post?

I think Ayton is conspicuous in his absence bc he’s already top 10 rebounds/game, top 15 effective shooting percentage, and top 20 in all kinds of crazy ranking analytics. So numbers wise, other than straight scoring (where he’s still scoring about 15pts/game - close to even with lamelo and simmons) he’s in good company and he’s been recognized as a very good defender.

mind you, I’m not saying I think he belongs there, I’m saying he is conspicuous in his absence, particularly bc this is supposed to be based in future potential and everyone keeps saying Ayton hasn’t fully tapped his potential yet. I think it’s an indictment on what people think will be his desire to achieve his full potential.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Perhaps you missed the “rankings based on future potential” part of the post?

I think Ayton is conspicuous in his absence bc he’s already top 10 rebounds/game, top 15 effective shooting percentage, and top 20 in all kinds of crazy ranking analytics. So numbers wise, other than straight scoring (where he’s still scoring about 15pts/game - close to even with lamelo and simmons) he’s in good company and he’s been recognized as a very good defender.

mind you, I’m not saying I think he belongs there, I’m saying he is conspicuous in his absence, particularly bc this is supposed to be based in future potential and everyone keeps saying Ayton hasn’t fully tapped his potential yet. I think it’s an indictment on what people think will be his desire to achieve his full potential.
I still wouldn't put him any higher than 9 or 10 on such a list. The only guy on there that he could be potentially better than in Ben Simmons.

You make some good points about Ayton, but he just hasn't entered the popularity contest that is ESPN. Devin Booker for example should be higher in the list. If Mitchell is #4, Booker should at least be right there with him.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still wouldn't put him any higher than 9 or 10 on such a list. The only guy on there that he could be potentially better than in Ben Simmons.

You make some good points about Ayton, but he just hasn't entered the popularity contest that is ESPN. Devin Booker for example should be higher in the list. If Mitchell is #4, Booker should at least be right there with him.

disagree with Lamelo. He’s still very young and started the season slowly adjusting to the league, but his last two months in Feb/March, he was averaging 19/7/6 on 48% FG shooting and 43% 3 point shooting while making a huge contribution to the Hornets actually winning ball games. It’s a small sample size compared to the others, but he was flat out balling as a rookie and his size, speed, playmaking ability and surprisingly good shooting make him a tantalizing talent for the future.

also, I agree that Mitchell and Book are pretty equal, but I’d have them toward the bottom of the ten rather than at the top 4 as I don’t know how either guy gets much better at this point. Others are still young and athletic enough with holes in their games that can still be filled. I think Book and Mitch are close to finished products. Both very very good to borderline great finished products, but I don’t know how much higher those two guys ascend at this point.

Last edited:

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
I think Tatum and Simmons have peaked to their abilities. Everyone else can improve in some areas.

Simmons yes. Tatum no.

I would argue you could replace 3-5 on that list with 8-10. Shai and Bam are going to be stars.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ayton conspicuous in absence.

ESPN.com has the full article with the top 25 players under 25 listed. Ayton is #20 and Mikal Bridges is #17.

Espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31198084/nba-best-25-25-ranking-young-stars-future-potential

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ho hum. Who on that list would you trade Book?

For me its Luka and Zion. That's it. Donovan is a coin flip so I keep Book. Even then, Zion makes me nervous. He is so close to injury IMO.

It's all opinions and mine is as good as theirs.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
ESPN.com has the full article with the top 25 players under 25 listed. Ayton is #20 and Mikal Bridges is #17.

Espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/31198084/nba-best-25-25-ranking-young-stars-future-potential
That makes a bit more sense. Interesting that bridges has already passed Ayton.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
LaMelo 3? Book 8? Bridges over Ayton?

This list should be thrown in the trash

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the litmus test is trade value. I really like Bridges but Ayton has more trade value.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton may fetch more in a trade but I'd trade him before Bridges.

We need both, I wouldn't trade either. Bridges gives you more of what he's capable of but Ayton is capable of quite a bit more. I love Booker but I could imagine a scenario where we moved him before I could envision a Bridges or Ayton trade.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ayton may fetch more in a trade but I'd trade him before Bridges.

I'm not looking at the rankings as more than an educated guess.

Luka appears to be the clear number 1 today.

The Suns need to build around their young core of Booker, Bridges and Ayton.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm not looking at the rankings as more than an educated guess.

Luka appears to be the clear number 1 today.

The Suns need to build around their young core of Booker, Bridges and Ayton.
Which, of course, means they need to be thinking about PG beyond CP3.

Just an off-the-wall thought. Cam Payne has really been looking good. Might he have a future as a starting pg? If so, we might have to battle off the suitors to sign him this summer.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which, of course, means they need to be thinking about PG beyond CP3.

Just an off-the-wall thought. Cam Payne has really been looking good. Might he have a future as a starting pg? If so, we might have to battle off the suitors to sign him this summer.

Cam Payne hasn’t looked really good in months. He ain’t the answer, IMO.

unfortunately, we passed on who probably would have been the perfect PG to take over for CP3 in the draft when we took Stix instead of Halliburton.

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
On the radio today they mentioned CP3 could opt out of his contract after this season. Maybe a smart play for him to leverage into a 3-4 year deal. Its possible the suns could need a point guard sooner. I thought he was locked in for two years.