Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think depending on the situation, they can be effectively utilized. They all provide very different things. Carter defense of course, Galloway can be a flame thrower, and Moore is the most well rounded of them. Come playoffs i can see Moore being the most poised of the 3 but i can also see Galloway catching fire to put a team away. But the minutes/lack-of could really throw a player off, good to see them come in ready to play when asked.
He is running a 10 deep rotation and that is without Frank. This team is deep. The only player on our roster that I really have no real confidence in when on the floor is Stix. Not one of them is a knucklehead.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We are getting serious love from every corner of the interwebs... except for probably the insane ramblings of 1 Sun’s fans scribbles on a pad of paper somewhere:

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/4/13/22381280/nba-awards-third-quarter-nikola-jokic-phoenix-suns
Kinda hard not to. Our record, stats, style of play, all make the Suns impossible to ignore.

This team is great for the regular season, but the combination of offense and defense is a playoff plus. The biggest knock on this Suns team regarding the playoffs is experience. Most of the players have not played in one playoff game. However, the experience of Paul and Crowder and the willingness of the younger players to listen to them is a boon.

I am not sure how much impact NCAA tourney experience might help--Cam and Mikal have loads there.

The big keys to the Sun's success in the playoffs will probably be Ayton and major pieces staying healthy. Not going to comment on that much. Seems anything I say about Ayton gets me into trouble.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Pretty much every game we've played since the All Star break has been playoff style, and we are still winning, so that bodes well for us.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So, is it my imagination or is Ayton's game starting to become more consistent. It's not as erratic as before. His defensive presence seems to be much more consistent and he is finding his niche in both the high post and low post game. I like the fact that Monty has him changing it up a bit. And has him both down low and up at the top of the key at various times in the game. He doesn't seem to be fumbling as many passes, and he is not panicking so much when double-teamed. He is taking his time and either scoring or making good passes out of the double team. He has had some pretty impressive assists lately. He does not seem to get credit for all the shots he blocks. He alters a lot of shots.

This is good to see.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, is it my imagination or is Ayton's game starting to become more consistent. It's not as erratic as before. His defensive presence seems to be much more consistent and he is finding his niche in both the high post and low post game. I like the fact that Monty has him changing it up a bit. And has him both down low and up at the top of the key at various times in the game. He doesn't seem to be fumbling as many passes, and he is not panicking so much when double-teamed. He is taking his time and either scoring or making good passes out of the double team. He has had some pretty impressive assists lately. He does not seem to get credit for all the shots he blocks. He alters a lot of shots.

This is good to see.

he definitely looks more engaged for entire games. Those periods where he’d drift for quarters are fewer and farther between. His rebounding is down a little though from the beginning of the season, averaging only 9 per game since the All-Star break. Dude with his size, length and athleticism should never be below double digits rebounding.

his hands are just as inconsistent as they’ve ever been though, IMO.

but I definitely see his effort much more throughout games during this stretch snd him becoming more confident on offense.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he definitely looks more engaged for entire games. Those periods where he’d drift for quarters are fewer and farther between. His rebounding is down a little though from the beginning of the season, averaging only 9 per game since the All-Star break. Dude with his size, length and athleticism should never be below double digits rebounding.

his hands are just as inconsistent as they’ve ever been though, IMO.

but I definitely see his effort much more throughout games during this stretch snd him becoming more confident on offense.

I did the math in my head which is always scary but it appears he's averaged about 3 minutes less per game since the break. I guess that's probably good for a rebound or so. And for the season he's only averaging 30.5 minutes per game.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I did the math in my head which is always scary but it appears he's averaged about 3 minutes less per game since the break. I guess that's probably good for a rebound or so. And for the season he's only averaging 30.5 minutes per game.
Pre all star break his per 36 rebounds were 13.2. It has been 11.7 per 36 since the all star break. He has been down a little in that area, but still rebounding at a solid rate.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Pre all star break his per 36 rebounds were 13.2. It has been 11.7 per 36 since the all star break. He has been down a little in that area, but still rebounding at a solid rate.
I like the per 100 possessions stat because its pace adjusted. This team plays at a much slower pace than last year.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I like the per 100 possessions stat because its pace adjusted. This team plays at a much slower pace than last year.
To be fair those stats were all from this season, but per 100 does make more sense. Also our pace has actually increased since the all star break so that isn't the reason for his slight dip in rebounding.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Interesting but not surprising. I have heard coach after coach over the years say that the last step to becoming a great team is learning how to close teams out verses letting teams linger until the end making it a close game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Interesting but not surprising. I have heard coach after coach over the years say that the last step to becoming a great team is learning how to close teams out verses letting teams linger until the end making it a close game.
True, but during some of these game threads you'd think we were down 20 in every game. ;)

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

It makes sense. Suns losses:

3 points
5 points
21 points
4 points
4 points
8 points
5 points
22 points
4 points
3 points
11 points
4 points
1 point
10 points

Just 5 of them by more than 5 points. Even in defeat this team gives itself a chance to win.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't need gambling to make sports more entertaining or exciting.