Free Agency Rumors

LoyaltyisaCurse

IF AND WHEN HEALTHY...
Reaction score
So.....how could it be the right pick if.....the organization didn’t have a plan on how to use him? That moreso sounds like the wrong pick if anything.

No way this actually makes sense to you guys. No way.
More like the wrong D-Coord.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So.....how could it be the right pick if.....the organization didn’t have a plan on how to use him? That moreso sounds like the wrong pick if anything.

Here's a thought.

In FA they signed Campbell as an ILB good at covering T-ends. Simmons, unexpectedly, fell to the Cards. We had no training camp to work out the kinks and settle on a specific role(s). Simmons had understandable teething problems in the early going. In the last third of the season he started to show flashes of his promise. Campbell is gone. Wirfs was plug and play... see guy, block guy!

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score

The guy in charge of him did a poor job of managing him. This is just like hiring in business. If you can acquire great talent, but his manager is incompetent, you still hire the talent, and work on replacing the bad manager.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, back to the deep dive. I found this interesting regarding Markus Golden.

Over the past two years, here are some of the top pressure players in football. I found an interesting statistic in "Pressures". Pressures are the accumulation of sacks, hurries and QB knockdowns. So, add up those three categories and you have your number of pressures. What I like about this stat is that it matches what my eyes tell me.

TJ Watt has the most over the past two seasons in 120.
Aaron Donald - 100
Joey Bosa - 99
Shaq Barrett - 93
Za'Darius Smith - 89
Khalil Mack - 76
Cam Jordan - 75
Markus Golden - 74
Chris Jones - 71
Harold Landry - 66
Cam Heyward - 64
Matt Judon - 63
Myles Garrett - 61
Bud Dupree - 56

That is a pretty impressive list for Markus Golden to be on over the past two seasons combined.

Some things to keep in mind.

Von Miller, Nick Bosa, Chandler Jones and Danielle Hunter were in the top 20 in 2019, but had major injuries in 2020.

Reddick had 34 pressures in 2020 and Golden had 30.

JJWatt has 89 combining his 2020 and 2018 seasons.

Chandler Jones 79 combining 2019 and 2018.

Von Miller 73 combining 2019 and 2018.

Danielle Hunter 74 combining 2019 and 2018.

So, while Golden's sack numbers have not been stellar, his level of disruption has been one of the best in the NFL over the past two seasons.
Golden also gave up 3075 yards rushing around his side...at least it seems like he did.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Also..... Simmons looked really good as the season wore on. I can't wait to see what he turns in to with an offseason program.

Taking Wirfs over Simmons would have been sheer lunacy last year. If Simmons was off the board..... I would have been on the Wills bandwagon. Wirfs might have still been our #3 OT left on the board at that point. And then there is the CeeDee conversation.

All of this is just hindsight lunacy.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think golden will be unsigned till july
Doesn't have the market, his slowness is a liability containing the outside
Same reason I hope there is a chance to cut or benching Hicks
Agree. When I watched the replay of the Bills game, it was clear & obvious how much quicker Reddick was getting to the sideline. But, I will say that Golden seemed to create more pressure than Reddick did. Again, that was one game.

Reaction score
Ok, back to the deep dive. I found this interesting regarding Markus Golden.

Over the past two years, here are some of the top pressure players in football. I found an interesting statistic in "Pressures". Pressures are the accumulation of sacks, hurries and QB knockdowns. So, add up those three categories and you have your number of pressures. What I like about this stat is that it matches what my eyes tell me.

TJ Watt has the most over the past two seasons in 120.
Aaron Donald - 100
Joey Bosa - 99
Shaq Barrett - 93
Za'Darius Smith - 89
Khalil Mack - 76
Cam Jordan - 75
Markus Golden - 74
Chris Jones - 71
Harold Landry - 66
Cam Heyward - 64
Matt Judon - 63
Myles Garrett - 61
Bud Dupree - 56

That is a pretty impressive list for Markus Golden to be on over the past two seasons combined.

Some things to keep in mind.

Von Miller, Nick Bosa, Chandler Jones and Danielle Hunter were in the top 20 in 2019, but had major injuries in 2020.

Reddick had 34 pressures in 2020 and Golden had 30.

JJWatt has 89 combining his 2020 and 2018 seasons.

Chandler Jones 79 combining 2019 and 2018.

Von Miller 73 combining 2019 and 2018.

Danielle Hunter 74 combining 2019 and 2018.

So, while Golden's sack numbers have not been stellar, his level of disruption has been one of the best in the NFL over the past two seasons.

Keim & his stupid drafting amirite? :)

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Golden is a no brainer if the price is right. He is an experienced vet with multiple double digit sack seasons in the NFL. Even if he is a depth guy he should be on the team.

Jones, Golden, Gardeck, and someone else. I don't really care who that 4th person is, but I wouldn't break the bank for Reddick.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Golden is a no brainer if the price is right. He is an experienced vet with multiple double digit sack seasons in the NFL. Even if he is a depth guy he should be on the team.

Jones, Golden, Gardeck, and someone else. I don't really care who that 4th person is, but I wouldn't break the bank for Reddick.

The 4th is Devon Kennard.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
People acting like Wirfs wasn't the best OT in last year's draft, after people claimed he was and he had the best season out of the four is kinda funny. It's like, he can't be because he was drafted 4th out of the tackles. Tell me, since when do we use the Jets, Giants, Browns and Cardinals as the gauge for solid drafting?

Wirfs is going to have a great career and he will directly benefit the QB he is blocking for the entire time. Simmons will never be able to do that.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
People acting like Wirfs wasn't the best OT in last year's draft, after people claimed he was and he had the best season out of the four is kinda funny. It's like, he can't be because he was drafted 4th out of the tackles. Tell me, since when do we use the Jets, Giants, Browns and Cardinals as the gauge for solid drafting?

Wirfs is going to have a great career and he will directly benefit the QB he is blocking for the entire time. Simmons will never be able to do that.

You're right. Simmons will never take a snap at RT. ;)

Last edited:

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
4 for 24 is looking like a potential Golden contract.

I was going to write "4 for $24m on a 30 year old?" (he turns 30 in 3 days).

But he's never been a speed guy so I don't see him declining massively with age. On saying that I think I'd want more assurance I'm not getting fleeced down the back end so either a 2 year out or more like $18-$20m over 4 years.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score

I'd still take Becton over Wirfs.
I took Thomas and Wills above Wirfs.

He was anywhere from the #2 to #4 tackle, and three were left on the board.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need a young edge rusher, romeo okwara could fit the role
He has great lenght and seems a poor version of Chandler, with some ability to bend
He is 25