Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Raze

Suns fan since '89
Reaction score
I know how you feel. It seems we havent had a good defensive Suns team since the early 1980’s—that’s 40 years.
"He's not human. He's like a piece of iron."

-Ivan Drago

That's what kept running through my mind last night about the Suns. Ingram said, "they had a rhythm," but I saw it more like the Suns were a machine. Cold. With precision.

The ball rotation, the defensive rotation, the unselfishness, the locked in nature on the Defensive end... all like a machine. They looked unstoppable.

Book had 8 pts and no one cares.

This team is dangerous.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"He's not human. He's like a piece of iron."

-Ivan Drago

That's what kept running through my mind last night about the Suns. Ingram said, "they had a rhythm," but I saw it more like the Suns were a machine. Cold. With precision.

The ball rotation, the defensive rotation, the unselfishness, the locked in nature on the Defensive end... all like a machine. They looked unstoppable.

Book had 8 pts and no one cares.

This team is dangerous.

the fact that we just ran that team out of the building with Book only having 8 is a testament to what James Jones has put together on this roster. they're not very athletic, but they are VERY skilled and have a leader on the floor unlike they've ever had.

I am beyond stoked... only thing tugging at me SLIGHTLY is remembering how excited I was during the beginning of last season when we shot out to a 6-2 record beating the Clippers and Sixers and thinking we had arrived to at least mediocre level, being especially impressed by the D we played. I think this team is different and that injury to CP3 is really one of the biggest question marks facing them, at least as far as becoming a bona-fide playoff team.

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
the fact that we just ran that team out of the building with Book only having 8 is a testament to what James Jones has put together on this roster. they're not very athletic, but they are VERY skilled and have a leader on the floor unlike they've ever had.

I am beyond stoked... only thing tugging at me SLIGHTLY is remembering how excited I was during the beginning of last season when we shot out to a 6-2 record beating the Clippers and Sixers and thinking we had arrived to at least mediocre level, being especially impressed by the D we played. I think this team is different and that injury to CP3 is really one of the biggest question marks facing them, at least as far as becoming a bona-fide playoff team.

The 6-2 team had a 115/106.4 split in ppg. The next 20 games they went 114.6/117.2 and went 6-14.

This year’s 3-1 team is 110.9/100.2. This team is playing a slightly slower pace and opposing defenses are shooting awful from 3. It will be very interesting to see how the defense plays over the next 10 games.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Our next three games are Utah, Denver and the Clippers. If we go 3-0, or even 2-1 in those games, where would that put us? Likely leading the West, but where does it REALLY put us? How long and how good of a record do we need to be considered a "contender?"

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The 6-2 team had a 115/106.4 split in ppg. The next 20 games they went 114.6/117.2 and went 6-14.

This year’s 3-1 team is 110.9/100.2. This team is playing a slightly slower pace and opposing defenses are shooting awful from 3. It will be very interesting to see how the defense plays over the next 10 games.
I noticed that stat. Have we had the good fortune bad nights for opponents, or is this Suns team defending the three point line?

WhyAlwaysMe

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I noticed that stat. Have we had the good fortune bad nights for opponents, or is this Suns team defending the three point line?

A couple things: the Suns are not turning the ball over very much, and they’re far less reliant on Booker this year. The offensive depth is leading to more consistent execution (our offense was not effective when Ricky/Booker sat last year) is leading to fewer transition opportunities for the opponent (even compared to 6-2 start last year.)

As far as the half court defense, it seems like the team is more tied together, closing out, and just putting it on DA and the help to close off gaps if they have to close hard on shooters. Just an anecdote, but we seem to be fouling shooters much less. All of this could be noise or confirmation bias. Every game adds another important data point to a small sample. The Jazz are an elite shooting squad so tomorrow will be particularly telling.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Our next three games are Utah, Denver and the Clippers. If we go 3-0, or even 2-1 in those games, where would that put us? Likely leading the West, but where does it REALLY put us? How long and how good of a record do we need to be considered a "contender?"
I think you really only know what a “new” contender is after 25 games. That’s sustained excellence.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BS you know when the contender players pick their teams. Paul picked his

The Thunder weren't contenders last year with Paul. Everyone waited for the bottom to fall out all year and didn't realize they were a real playoff team until after the all star break. Even when they were accepted as a playoff team, no one thought they were contenders.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I am with you Chap, I was wondering the same thing but including the Raptors as the 4th game.

I see it as this:

0-4 Same as last year pre bubble
1-3 Bubble Suns looking at the 8 through 10 seed
2-2 6-8 seed as expected at the start of the year
3-1 4-6 seed. Get out of our way Utah! On the track to being a contender
4-0 7-1 record to start the year puts you on pace for a 50 win season in 72 games. Absolute contender

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I am with you Chap, I was wondering the same thing but including the Raptors as the 4th game.

I see it as this:

4-0 7-1 record to start the year puts you on pace for a 50 win season in 72 games. Absolute contender

I don't think we go 0-4 in that stretch, but I think 1-3 is likely, and I would be thrilled with 2-2.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

I see it as this:

Agreed except the Raptors have not been good this season so far.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So. Is Cam Payne the third-best pg we have had on our team since we traded Bledsoe?

1. Paul
2. Rubio
3. Payne

Could Cam become our own VanVleet story?

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Not really. That team was demonstrably not good enough until they got AD.
What I mean is players switch teams, and immediately those teams may be contenders depending on the player or players they obtain. Why is it not out of the realm of possibility that Paul makes us a contender. Contender to me is a team that can make the playoffs.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I mean is players switch teams, and immediately those teams may be contenders depending on the player or players they obtain. Why is it not out of the realm of possibility that Paul makes us a contender. Contender to me is a team that can make the playoffs.

Suns already have some nice players but Chris Paul could be the straw that stirs the drink.

I wanted to say like Steve Nash but there is only one Steve Nash.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This happened with the Warriors in the summer of 14. They had won some games under Jackson as coach but were a first round out team, but when they switched to Kerr and Draymond Green moved into the starting line up, everything just clicked.

Also, clearly making Iggy the 6th man helped.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
It could make us a contender but I dont think we know that until they’ve played a significant number of games.

And I think most of us define “contender” as something different than just making the playoffs. We were a missed levert shot away from making the playoffs last year. We certainly wouldn’t have become a contender if levert hit that shot.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson