Suns updates and discussion for the 2020-21 season

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Dario is still here but I'm curious if he was injured when the Suns signed him to a multi-year contract. The injury doesn't sound like a deal breaker. Perhaps the Suns were hoping for a quicker recovery.

I admire your optimism. There's no way Dario is still here, as in amongst the realm of the living. I think the Suns are waiting to announce his demise after Christmas. That way they don't get blamed for bumming out fans on the holiday.

RIP Dario, we hardly knew you.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I admire your optimism. There's no way Dario is still here, as in amongst the realm of the living. I think the Suns are waiting to announce his demise after Christmas. That way they don't get blamed for bumming out fans on the holiday.

RIP Dario, we hardly knew you.

Alas! Poor Dario!

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This basketball player is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If Coach hadn't nailed him to the bench he'd be pushing up the daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! He's off the court! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible!! SARIC IS AN EX-BASKETBALL PLAYER!!

1Sun

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This basketball player is no more! He has ceased to be! He's expired and gone to meet his maker! He's a stiff! Bereft of life, he rests in peace! If Coach hadn't nailed him to the bench he'd be pushing up the daisies! His metabolic processes are now history! He's off the court! He's kicked the bucket, he's shuffled off his mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleeding choir invisible!! SARIC IS AN EX-BASKETBALL PLAYER!!

I love that sketch...

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'm not sure who was it that was saying Bridges was one dimensional, but here's a nice recap of what Bridges has done this preseason. I pointed out in a few games where he's able to get the defender on his back/shoulder and get his shot up. The shows the game is slowing down and becoming easier for him, shows progression.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...ffensive-upside-in-suns-preseason/ar-BB1c8MRO
It also shows that he is learning some moves from Booker and truly looking to expand his game.

I would not be shocked if he develops into a guy that scores close to 20 ppg.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
It is Bridges aggression on offense I like the most. He still picks his spots. Would like him to be aggressive all game long!

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a look at the Suns opening night roster.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure who was it that was saying Bridges was one dimensional, but here's a nice recap of what Bridges has done this preseason. I pointed out in a few games where he's able to get the defender on his back/shoulder and get his shot up. The shows the game is slowing down and becoming easier for him, shows progression.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nb...ffensive-upside-in-suns-preseason/ar-BB1c8MRO

that was me. And that video showed like five plays over four games, none of which really showed a guy being able to take guys off the dribble or taking it to the hole.

and he shot 30% from 3 in preseason.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It also shows that he is learning some moves from Booker and truly looking to expand his game.

I would not be shocked if he develops into a guy that scores close to 20 ppg.

I’ve seen nothing that tells me this is even remotely possible. I mean... Bridges has scored 20 points 4 times in 150 games in his career.

Last edited:

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I’ve seen nothing that tells me this is even remotely possible. I mean... Bridges has scored 20 points 4 times in 150 games in his career.
We are talking about what he could develop into. You also didn't see him display any sort of mid range game before this preseason.

I am not expecting him to be a 20 ppg scorer, but he is clearly working on becoming a better scorer and it is certainly very possible that he develops into that based on what he has developed just this offseason.

For comparison's sake Kawhi only had 6 20 point games in his first 2 seasons (9 in his first 3 years) combined and has developed into one of the leagues best scorers. Not saying that will happen with Mikal, but it is far from impossible.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We are talking about what he could develop into. You also didn't see him display any sort of mid range game before this preseason.

I am not expecting him to be a 20 ppg scorer, but he is clearly working on becoming a better scorer and it is certainly very possible that he develops into that based on what he has developed just this offseason.

For comparison's sake Kawhi only had 6 20 point games in his first 2 seasons (9 in his first 3 years) combined and has developed into one of the leagues best scorers. Not saying that will happen with Mikal, but it is far from impossible.

Holy crap... now you’re bringing Kawhi into this? You realize Kawhi was a full TWO YEARS younger than Bridges in his first two years and he was playing on title contenders where he was one of the last offensive options as opposed to Bridges who was older when he came into the league. And Bridges isn’t near the same athlete Kawhi was and still is.

Kawhi’s ascension is also more exception to the rule than the rule. Using him as an example for why Bridges can become a 20 ppg scorer is overdosing on Kool-Aid, just like that ONE time Bridges scored 26 on the Celtics last year and everyone fell all over each other to announce he had arrived as an offensive weapon... only to see him score 2, 4, 9, 8, 6, 13, and 7 in his next seven games.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Holy crap... now you’re bringing Kawhi into this? You realize Kawhi was a full TWO YEARS younger than Bridges in his first two years and he was playing on title contenders where he was one of the last offensive options as opposed to Bridges who was older when he came into the league. And Bridges isn’t near the same athlete Kawhi was and still is.

Kawhi’s ascension is also more exception to the rule than the rule. Using him as an example for why Bridges can become a 20 ppg scorer is overdosing on Kool-Aid, just like that ONE time Bridges scored 26 on the Celtics last year and everyone fell all over each other to announce he had arrived as an offensive weapon... only to see him score 2, 4, 9, 8, 6, 13, and 7 in his next seven games.
And yet he had a total of 9 20 point games through his first 3 years. Even the development he made as a scorer from year 4 to now is astronautical.

My entire point of bringing Kawhi into this discussion is to show the amount of growth that is possible for a player as a scorer.

And of course it is an exception to the rule and that's why I clearly stated that I wasn't using Kawhi as proof that it will happen for Mikal, only that it can.

The fact that he is clearly working to expand his offensive game is a really solid sign that he could be ready to make a big leap offensively.

Also I am not even talking about him becoming a Kawhi level scorer I'm only talking about him becoming something close to a 20 ppg scorer, not a top tier scorer like Kawhi.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yet he had a total of 9 20 point games through his first 3 years. Even the development he made as a scorer from year 4 to now is astronautical.

My entire point of bringing Kawhi into this discussion is to show the amount of growth that is possible for a player as a scorer.

And of course it is an exception to the rule and that's why I clearly stated that I wasn't using Kawhi as proof that it will happen for Mikal, only that it can.

The fact that he is clearly working to expand his offensive game is a really solid sign that he could be ready to make a big leap offensively.

Also I am not even talking about him becoming a Kawhi level scorer I'm only talking about him becoming something close to a 20 ppg scorer, not a top tier scorer like Kawhi.

again you are IGNORING THAT KAWHI WAS 20 WHEN HE CAME INTO THE LEAGUE ON A TITLE CONTENDING TEAM WHERE HE WAS THE LAST OPTION as opposed to Bridges who was a full two years older, on a terrible team desperate for impact players and scoring.

Kawhi was already scoring 16.5 ppg by the time he was 23. Bridges scored 9 ppg at the same age.

and as far as the “he’s really working to expand his offensive game” theory you threw up there, we heard that same line of horse manure LAST YEAR going into the season and you were selling it just as much, talking about how much he had improved and his body. You know what that hype amounted to last year? A whopping .9 ppg difference and negligible movement in his shooting so spare me that same song and dance until he proves it on the court.

I mean... this is rivaling the inanity of the alternative universe theory that Booker is already a better offensive player than Kobe Bryant.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
again you are IGNORING THAT KAWHI WAS 20 WHEN HE CAME INTO THE LEAGUE ON A TITLE CONTENDING TEAM WHERE HE WAS THE LAST OPTION as opposed to Bridges who was a full two years older, on a terrible team desperate for impact players and scoring.

Kawhi was already scoring 16.5 ppg by the time he was 23. Bridges scored 9 ppg at the same age.

and as far as the “he’s really working to expand his offensive game” theory you threw up there, we heard that same line of horse manure LAST YEAR going into the season and you were selling it just as much, talking about how much he had improved and his body. You know what that hype amounted to last year? A whopping .9 ppg difference and negligible movement in his shooting so spare me that same song and dance until he proves it on the court.

I mean... this is rivaling the inanity of the alternative universe theory that Booker is already a better offensive player than Kobe Bryant.
Care to show me where I was saying this same stuff about Mikal last year?...

This is literally the only point in his career that he has clearly been showing real signs of potential offensive growth with the addition of an off the dribble mid range game.

As to Kawhi's growth he has added 11 points per game from his 4th season to last season and 6 ppg from his 5th season to last season. He made big jumps as a scorer even after entering his prime. Again the only point of this is to show that big jumps can and do happen.

Jimmy Butler might be a better comparison as he came into the league at a similar age to Mikal and wasn't much of a scorer in his first 3 seasons before blossoming into a good scorer. He was on a poor offensive team his first 3 seasons as well.

Also while the Suns haven't been good the last couple seasons it's not like Mikal hasn't been playing next to good scorers. Booker has averaged 26+ the last 2 years, Ayton 16 then 18, Warren 18 and Oubre 16 then 19. There have always been solid to good scorers on the roster with him even if the team hasn't been good as a whole.

Last edited:

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
that was me. And that video showed like five plays over four games, none of which really showed a guy being able to take guys off the dribble or taking it to the hole.

and he shot 30% from 3 in preseason.
I'll counterpoint by saying that before this, I don't think I've ever seen Bridges create his own offense or handle the ball in a pick and roll. All his points came off spot-up/catch and shoot 3s and smart cuts off the ball. This video showed a couple drive and finishes, a couple of mid-range pullups after getting his defender on his hip in a PnR and even a pullup 3.

Would I like to see more? Yes, I think we all would. But seeing progress is still a positive sign, as opposed to say someone like Josh Jackson who showed zero growth season over season in his 3 years in the league.

leclerc

The smooth operator
Reaction score
Great point that Bridges is being more aggressive (bubble, preseason). Bodes well for the season. I think it looks really good for us with Paul controlling tempo and finding guys, showing them what it takes, Booker ready for another step (and the playoffs I bet!), and then Ayton and Bridges should get some space to operate. I just put down payment for league pass and I'll be ready to watch them play like I always do, some days after the game but without knowing the result.

GO SUNS

Oh, and I'll watch the "sunny" clip after each win. Sunny! (Boney M song with funny Booker and gorilla video).

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I'll counterpoint by saying that before this, I don't think I've ever seen Bridges create his own offense or handle the ball in a pick and roll. All his points came off spot-up/catch and shoot 3s and smart cuts off the ball. This video showed a couple drive and finishes, a couple of mid-range pullups after getting his defender on his hip in a PnR and even a pullup 3.

Would I like to see more? Yes, I think we all would. But seeing progress is still a positive sign, as opposed to say someone like Josh Jackson who showed zero growth season over season in his 3 years in the league.
That video also only showed the times that he made a shot. There were other attempts that missed as well.

He also attempted 14 shots per 36 in the preseason compared to just 8.5 attempts last season.

OP
OP
Mainstreet

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely missed this signing. I like the continuity and the fact that Frank wanted to be here.

Also signing Kaminsky for around the veteran minimum ($1,737,145) helps the Suns if they need to make other moves later on. They keep their bi-annual exception.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Also signing Kaminsky for around the veteran minimum ($1,737,145) helps the Suns if they need to make other moves later on. They keep their bi-annual exception.
They obviously see something in Frank.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson