Kliff Kingsbury. Your review of him after year one?

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He’s like a super talented rookie player that show flashes of brilliance but needs to pull it all together in year two if he actually wants to be great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OK, so what is your grade?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I can't get over how much I hate him constantly calling plays short of the 3rd down marker / goal line
I think we also lack playmaking at the WR position that plays into this. But agree that too much college routes out there, NFL has too much speed for dump-offs and screens to pop for big plays very often.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
Greatest trait is adaptability, and player communication, imo. He has a good chance to direct this team into a yearly playoff caliber contending team with a few more key parts and Murray's continued growth as QB.
He will need continued help on the D side obviously, but it's doable if we get continued development of staff and players, as well as better overall talent.
We saw the improvements that this team is more than capable of competing with the division with even a modicum of a balanced attack.

Reactions: HGC

Cardsmasochist

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
B

I like that K2 is willing to adapt. That will serve him well in the NFL.

Serious question: Is he going to learn the defensive side, too? Or will he always defer to others for anything besides the offense?

One thing that bothered me listening to one of his interviews was he referred to the Cardinals defense as “they”and the offense side as “us”.

I want him to evolve into a head coach of the entire team and not be just a glorified OC.

Here’s hoping KM can be as durable as Russell Wilson has been throughout his career. Because K2 and the team is going to live or die based on how sturdy KM is.

Last edited:

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
JMO, but KK will always be primarily a coach who is involved with the offensive side of the game. However, as time goes by he will become more involved with the defensive side. It will probably start with his study of NFL defenses and how they affect "his" offense. But, at least in his early years he'll lean heavily on his DC.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch a ton of games but I did watch a lot of highlight reels.

He's innovative but yet smart enough to do whatever works. This was all with the NFL baptism by fire which could of been much much uglier.

Gotta hand it to him he didn't get completely embarrassed which is a good sign I think.

Now he's got an entire offseason and a draft to plug holes, have SK draft players we need. God I hope we get a TE that is something we haven't had in ages. We need a Gonzalez type talent there because with that and even one speed WR that's good that will open up Larry a lot I think.

Gotta love LF but he needs to be a possession type WR and a scoring one too in the RED ZONE. I was really surprised how well our oline progressed during the year.

I think the defense got better too.

The entire team got better as the year went on and yeah you could tell he wasn't like a seasoned pro coach or anything but for a first year it coulda been a lot lot worse and honestly I cringed when they hired him just being honest about it.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I didn't get to watch a ton of games but I did watch a lot of highlight reels.

He's innovative but yet smart enough to do whatever works. This was all with the NFL baptism by fire which could of been much much uglier.

Gotta hand it to him he didn't get completely embarrassed which is a good sign I think.

Now he's got an entire offseason and a draft to plug holes, have SK draft players we need. God I hope we get a TE that is something we haven't had in ages. We need a Gonzalez type talent there because with that and even one speed WR that's good that will open up Larry a lot I think.

Gotta love LF but he needs to be a possession type WR and a scoring one too in the RED ZONE. I was really surprised how well our oline progressed during the year.

I think the defense got better too.

The entire team got better as the year went on and yeah you could tell he wasn't like a seasoned pro coach or anything but for a first year it coulda been a lot lot worse and honestly I cringed when they hired him just being honest about it.
People forget or ignore that Kingsbury did all of this with several individuals in the league and in the media wanting him to fail and fall on his face. He didn't. Not with a rookie QB. Not with a pretty average roster.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
B

I like that K2 is willing to adapt. That will serve him well in the NFL.

Serious question: Is he going to learn the defensive side, too? Or will he always defer to others for anything besides the offense?

One thing that bothered me listening to one of his interviews was he referred to the Cardinals defense as “they”and the offense side as “us”.

I want him to evolve into a head coach of the entire team and not be just a glorified OC.

Here’s hoping KM can be as durable as Russell Wilson has been throughout his career. Because K2 and the team is going to live or die based on how sturdy KM is.

If a guy is a innovative offensive mind, then I think it's safe to say he knows something about the defense, but I think a lot of head coaches defer to their DC on defense if they are calling the offense

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
D.

his offense proved to be pedestrian and situational football decisions were bad to the point it cost the team potential wins.
People are letting that Seattle win skew their opinion.
40% of his wins were against the teams drafting 1 and 2. I think Atlanta was a1 or 0 win team when they beat them too.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Our offense was pedestrian? Just compare it to 2018. :)
The fact that our offense was historically bad in 2018 doesn't change that our offense was middle of the road this year. It can get better with experience and some personnel changes, but it was still middle of the road.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
The fact that our offense was historically bad in 2018 doesn't change that our offense was middle of the road this year.

key personnel changes vs 2018 on offense:

JR Sweezy at Guard
Justin Murray at Tackle
AQ Shipley at Center
Kyler Murray at QB

Those don't strike me, by themselves, to be the kinds of personnel changes that would turn a historically bad offense into an average NFL offense --

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
key personnel changes vs 2018 on offense:

JR Sweezy at Guard
Justin Murray at Tackle
AQ Shipley at Center
Kyler Murray at QB

Those don't strike me, by themselves, to be the kinds of personnel changes that would turn a historically bad offense into an average NFL offense --
I have no doubt the offensive coaching was a lot better than it was, but even in that personnel grouping you're counting out Kenyan Drake, Damiere Byrd, Pharoah Cooper... all guys who played significant time.

Given that this is a thread reviewing K2, to switch it back to that topic, I agree he's got some good offensive philosophies and changed them through the year, but I doubt his decision making in real games and dislike what I and others feel is a nearly complete silo from anything defensively.

That's why I gave him a D. After the Seattle game, I'm now a little more hopeful that he can improve upon that with another year, but his personnel still isn't going to be wildly upgraded. We'll have to see.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that our offense was historically bad in 2018 doesn't change that our offense was middle of the road this year. It can get better with experience and some personnel changes, but it was still middle of the road.
I don’t think that’s a bad assessment. Rookie Qb FROM DAY ONE, a rookie head coach installing ( again) a new system going from last to middle of the road? If you would have asked me at this time last year if I’d be happy with that I would have been more than happy.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s a bad assessment. Rookie Qb FROM DAY ONE, a rookie head coach installing ( again) a new system going from last to middle of the road? If you would have asked me at this time last year if I’d be happy with that I would have been more than happy.
So would I, but with the defense's plummet to worst in the league it's not exactly as compelling.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So would I, but with the defense's plummet to worst in the league it's not exactly as compelling.
Yes but we know it was somewhat affected by injuries , suspensions, released because of conduct and playing a secondary made up of rookies and B players. Not making excuses but pointing out some reasons.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes but we know it was somewhat affected by injuries , suspensions, released because of conduct and playing a secondary made up of rookies and B players. Not making excuses but pointing out some reasons.
Not to mention Keim's awful drafting that ensured we had barely any young players of use.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very "meh" about the hire but impressed with the offensive at times not to mention that he seemed very open and willing to learn and adjust.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Yes. And if anything that should raise the grade on Kingsbury.
Nah. His one win against Seattle was spectacular, and only other dominant performance was against the crumbling Browns. But as has been mentioned, the rest of the teams we beat or tied (and barely managed to do that), were against teams in complete dire straits. And we got styled on by teams that were good for the most part, some who were bad.

OP
OP
DVontel

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Nah. His one win against Seattle was spectacular, and only other dominant performance was against the crumbling Browns. But as has been mentioned, the rest of the teams we beat or tied (and barely managed to do that), were against teams in complete dire straits. And we got styled on by teams that were good for the most part, some who were bad.
Didn’t you predict the team to go 3-13? That’s exceeding your expectations regardless of how low it was, right?

bojack

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
2 more wins with a better QB does not tell me KK is a good coach. He is doing on the job training after realizing his scheme doesn't work in the NFL after the first several games. The positive is he is adapting but the whole reason he was hired was for his offensive scheme, not being a great HC. He did not revolutionize the game and looks a closer now to what much of the league already does. They wanted him to be an OC but didn't want him poached for a HC job when his genius was revealed.

If he manages to produce a winning record next year with a good offense I will OK with seeing the year 3 results. If not I'm for starting up the coaching carousel again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson