Kliff Kingsbury. Your review of him after year one?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cons:

1. Red zone play-calling. It improved a little bit towards the end of the season, but that area needs to be vastly improved.

2. 2 minute play-calling. Another area that REALLY needs to be improved. There were glimpses against both Detroit & Cincinnati, but those are not good teams. Throwing to Larry on a screen on the first play got real tiring.

3. Being conservative when we’re up a score. Almost blowing games to Cincinnati & New York were the reason for being conservative.

Pros:

1. Adaptability. Love how Kliff changes up his scheme every week instead of sticking to the same scheme every week. The NFL is all about adapting. It’s why a guy like Mike Zimmer, despite winning every other season, has only won 1 playoff win with an absurd amount of talent & that 1 playoff win was due to Hail Mary. Kliff could have forced 4-5 wideout formation all season if he wanted to, but he knows that wouldn’t have gotten any wins. He knew how important TEs are & implemented them more & more into the game plan.

2. Play-design. Especially in the run game. It really says something when we’re only behind the MVP & SB coach in Baltimore in terms of YPC.

3. 4th down play-calling. 3rd overall in the league. Really took me by surprise that we were going to be so good on 4th down conversions. Love the aggressiveness here.

Overall, I would give Kliff’s debut a B-. Both him & Kyler has some stuff to clean up, especially when the game is tight & we’re down a score, but hopefully they will learn from it & come out with a bang next season.

What about you?

Last edited:

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cons:

1. Red zone play-calling. It improved a little bit towards the end of the season, but that area needs to be vastly improved.

2. 2 minute play-calling. Another area that REALLY needs to be improved. There were glimpses against both Detroit & Cincinnati, but those are not good teams. Throwing to Larry on a screen on the first play got real tiring.

3. Being conservative when we’re up a score. Almost blowing games to Cincinnati & New York were the reason for being conservative.

Pros:

1. Adaptability. Love how Kliff changes up his scheme every week instead of sticking to the same scheme every week. The NFL is all about adapting. It’s why a guy like Mike Zimmer, despite winning every other season, has only won 1 playoff game with an absurd amount of talent & that 1 playoff win was due to Hail Mary. Kliff could have forced 4-5 wideout formation all season if he wanted to, but he knows that wouldn’t have gotten any wins. He knew how important TEs are & implemented them more & more into the game plan.

2. Play-design. Especially in the run game. It really says something when we’re only behind the MVP & SB coach in Baltimore in terms of YPC.

3. 4th down play-calling. 3rd overall in the league. Really took me by surprise that we were going to be so good on 4th down conversions. Love the aggressiveness here.

Overall, I would give Kliff’s debut a B-. Both him & Kyler has some stuff to clean up, especially when the game is tight & we’re down a score, but hopefully they will learn from it & come out with a bang next season.

What about you?
Yeah. What you said. :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cons:

Pros:

1. Adaptability. Love how Kliff changes up his scheme every week instead of sticking to the same scheme every week. The NFL is all about adapting. It’s why a guy like Mike Zimmer, despite winning every other season, has only won 1 playoff game with an absurd amount of talent & that 1 playoff win was due to Hail Mary. Kliff could have forced 4-5 wideout formation all season if he wanted to, but he knows that wouldn’t have gotten any wins. He knew how important TEs are & implemented them more & more into the game plan.

What about you?

his adaptability is his greatest strength, IMO. It's the thing i usually see that separate good coaches from great ones. That alone gives me hope for Kliff.

Agree with pretty much all of the above, but put him at a C+ for the season.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Emotions / feelings: atrocious in high leverage situations (red zone, third down, two minute drill). His horizontal passing game drives me bonkers. Playing Byrd and Cooper over Isabella and DJ is straight nonsense. Conservative to a fault

Facts: engineered a stunning offensive improvement with basically a rookie QB, the same crappy line, and below average talent at all skill positions except RB.

So a C with my gut and a B+ with facts

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I can’t give anything higher than a C when the team has double digit losses. Improvement over the year before? Yep but you’d have to go backwards for that not to happen.

I do think he is trending up though. I think he will only get better as long as the front office does their job and brings in better talent.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like that he accepted responsibility for, and promised to address the exact shortcomings pointed out here:
https://arizonasports.com/story/220...-room-pitch-to-larry-fitzgerald-and-more/amp/
This league it comes down to one-score games, and we were in a bunch of them. We just didn’t get over the top.

“A lot of that’s on me; a lot of that is coaching and being better in situational football. That’s something, as a staff, we’ll all work to be better at.”
...dave

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think a solid C is my opinion. He improved some as the season went on but that 2 minute offense was horrid to the end. He was a rookie HC and had a rookie QB so there is some built in reasons, not excuses, for the 5-10-1 record.

All in all, I think there's hope for the future but it depends on KK and KM growing into their roles next year. After last years abomination they, at the least, made it much more entertaining.

So, the jury is out but I am hoping that some infusion of more talent will make them take a big leap next season. I am not sure Keim will supply that talent but it is what it is.

I have faith that KK will hone his skills and be much better prepared next year.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Solid B as he had a young team that improved as the season progressed. Like how calm he is. Can't wait till next season.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m going to give him a B-.

Keeping this team together while he was learning to me was huge.
He adapted his vision as the season wore on.
I love the fact that he takes responsibility for some of the shortcomings.
Play calling improved as did the whole team.

Shortcomings.
two minute offense
Needs to improve screens
Needs to utilize te even more.
Don’t agree not giving a few youngsters a few more opportunities especially Issabella and Galliard.

Also not sure about some personnel moves like cutting Cooper. Was that his decision or just a numbers game?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
D.

He had some horrible in-game choices, and I don't think he knows how to coach in a two minute situation.

The biggest flaw he has is not really contributing to the defense in any way. I don't think he is a "CEO" in the way that a head coach needs to be. This was his struggle in college, and will be his struggle in the NFL.

I like him as a person, and for his demeanor, I just don't think he has it in him to be a successful HC. Great win against the Seahawks though.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I think he only got the job because we were drafting Murray. I think he failed in many aspects of managing games. I think his record was less than admirable in college and will be the same in the NFL.

I think the Cardinals will do better, both with Murray and especially overall when they part ways with Kingsbury after the next season.

I also think I will be quoted and disagreed with by many after posting this. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it - but by all means feel free to consider me a "darksider" as it pertains to the Kliffnotes.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I gave him a c+ because I think that time of possession was an issue for us this year. I don’t know if our pace of play will allow that to change next year, but it is concerning.imo

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Also if he was our offensive coordinator he would totally be interviewed for a HC job. I am convinced a team would vulture him so it's probably a B+ at minimum

if the team does offensively what we all expect it to do next year, i think the 2020 offseason is where he would get HC consideration

legend

Veteran
Reaction score
B- The two minute offense . . it was disappointing considering the " go fast " approach to his scheme. He is smart and learns more every week.
Fourteen games were watchable despite a putrid defense. With an infusion of talent and an off season to sharpen the tools, the future looks bright.
What a kick to the cradle David Johnson is . . Jeez.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard