Offensive Line

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got to admit the o-line has shown some big improvement as the season has progressed. There are reasons for that.

One is that we have stayed relatively healthy so some continuity has been established. One reason why the Rams have struggled is they have had 19 different line combinations. Sound familiar?

Two. Kugler is obviously very good at what he does.

Three. Kingsbury’s Offensive philosophy has changed. Early in the season we were hanging the o-line out to dry with 5 wide empty backfield formations. The coaching staff have come to grips with the problem of doing that 99% of the time. We now see more one, two and even three Te sets which has helped.

Four. Drake. I believe KD has inspired these guys. The way he hits the hole and his yards after contact has made their job a little easier.

Five. Kyler. We can look and say but what about the 47 sacks. Well 20 of those came in the first 4 games and many of those were Kyler’s fault. Since then we’ve allowed 27 sacks in the last 11 games. Not to bad when you consider even some of those are on Kyler.

It will be very interesting to see just how much the team feels the need to upgrade the o-line with the way they have improved. They may not feel the need to use the first pick or spend big bucks to upgrade. It will all start with what they do with Humphries.

The needle is pointing up.

P.S. Merry Christmas!

Last edited:
OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Humphries has been injury prone, same pugh, they must find a very good tackle
Not disagreeing with you. I’m just wondering what this staff is thinking. Do they believe the current players will continue to improve or they feel they need better talent?

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Keep Humphries.

Very good in the run game & decent in the pass game. The penalties have to get cleaned up & hopefully his streak of season ending injuries are over.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I think it needs to be considered that K2's style of play is "Line Friendly" from an injury perspective.

I could be wrong, but the more space and gaps created, the better for O-Lineman.

With that being said...... Kugler is an All-Pro line coach IMO and must be retained at all costs.

Just my 2 cents.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Another reason the line has improved over time is that Russ Grimm isn't the coach.

Delmar M Lewis

All Star
Reaction score
The one position that really meeds upgraded is Center Shipley is below average to average if a top flight center can be had either through the draft or free agency you we ould also see continued improvement remember if the Qb can step up in the pocket there is a much better chance for completions or open more running lanes for rhe Rb

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you. I’m just wondering what this staff is thinking. Do they believe the current players will continue to improve or they feel they need better talent?
They need to find always better talent
Hope gaillard and mills can step up
But right tackle position has to be improved

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
LT - Franchise Humphries unless you can trade him for 1st round pick or Trent Williams
  • He is average and a history of injuries going back to college
  • I truly believe he is replaceable with a high #1 pick but would rather have Trent Williams for another 3-4 Pro Bowl years
LG - Pugh
  • Again average but played better in the 2nd half
  • With contract/potential dead money you have to keep him and make him better
C - Open
  • AQ is below average
  • His leadership will be missed
  • We have to upgrade this position
  • Hoping Galliard or Cole can step up in 2020
RG - Sweezy/Open competition
  • Another average player
  • Can certainly be upgraded in 2020
RT - Open
  • I believe all of our RT's are free agents
  • Justin Murray is RFA and should be back
  • Definitely an area we can/need to upgrade
  • Would have been interesting to see Korey Cunningham at RT

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
LT - Franchise Humphries unless you can trade him for 1st round pick or Trent Williams
  • He is average and a history of injuries going back to college
  • I truly believe he is replaceable with a high #1 pick but would rather have Trent Williams for another 3-4 Pro Bowl years
LG - Pugh
  • Again average but played better in the 2nd half
  • With contract/potential dead money you have to keep him and make him better
C - Open
  • AQ is below average
  • His leadership will be missed
  • We have to upgrade this position
  • Hoping Galliard or Cole can step up in 2020
RG - Sweezy/Open competition
  • Another average player
  • Can certainly be upgraded in 2020
RT - Open
  • I believe all of our RT's are free agents
  • Justin Murray is RFA and should be back
  • Definitely an area we can/need to upgrade
  • Would have been interesting to see Korey Cunningham at RT

Humphries isn’t average at all. Look at his sack numbers.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Contract year for hump and injury history/questionable desire(imo) = be careful throwing big money..

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Kugler seems to be a VG OL coach. But it all comes down to health. Other than Gilbert, we've been able to keep the OL together. A RT seems a safe Draft pick, but I was told to expect a big improvement from Murray, after he has an offseason working with Kugler. No doubt that the OL has shown a big improvement this year.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
No question the coaching has been great. Cole still needs to add strength to start at center. He’d likely wear down fast from where he is if asked to start regularly. I’m hearing the Cards are more impressed with Gaillard’s potential in that role. However, Cole’s agility makes him a solid backup for interior line positions. I thought Sweezy was sound but not flashy, too many penalties though. Tag Humphries. Pugh’s play improved with better health, but he’s never stayed healthy long. RT is the issue. Murray is a decent backup, but it seems prudent to add an OT in FA or the draft.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Humphries isn’t average at all. Look at his sack numbers.
Yeah and look at his penalty numbers. How many drives did he kill or how many sacks would he have given up if he wasn’t committing penalties? He is not a top 5 LT in the game but people on this board feel he should be. I would rather trade up and take Andrew Thomas than to pay Humphries $15M a year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Yeah and look at his penalty numbers. How many drives did he kill or how many sacks would he have given up if he wasn’t committing penalties? He is not a top 5 LT in the game but people on this board feel he should be. I would rather trade up and take Andrew Thomas than to pay Humphries $15M a year.

Humphries is probably not even top 15 TBH

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Got to admit the o-line has shown some big improvement as the season has progressed. There are reasons for that.

One is that we have stayed relatively healthy so some continuity has been established. One reason why the Rams have struggled is they have had 19 different line combinations. Sound familiar?

Two. Kugler is obviously very good at what he does.

Three. Kingsbury’s Offensive philosophy has changed. Early in the season we were hanging the o-line out to dry with 5 wide empty backfield formations. The coaching staff have come to grips with the problem of doing that 99% of the time. We now see more one, two and even three Te sets which has helped.

Four. Drake. I believe KD has inspired these guys. The way he hits the hole and his yards after contact has made their job a little easier.

Five. Kyler. We can look and say but what about the 47 sacks. Well 20 of those came in the first 4 games and many of those were Kyler’s fault. Since then we’ve allowed 27 sacks in the last 11 games. Not to bad when you consider even some of those are on Kyler.

It will be very interesting to see just how much the team feels the need to upgrade the o-line with the way they have improved. They may not feel the need to use the first pick or spend big bucks to upgrade. It will all start with what they do with Humphries.

The needle is pointing up.

P.S. Merry Christmas!
I like the reasoning behind the above post. But...I'm seldom convinced that an event equals a trend until I see it repeat itself two more times.

The O-line did well vs. Cleveland and Seattle. Now show us one more time vs. the Rams.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson