Offensive Line

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Free agents that aren’t franchised always reset the market. Top 5 or not. Look at Solder and the guy Oakland signed.
Both Solder and Trent Brown made Pro Bowls. If Humphries continues this level of play the only way he gets to a Pro Bowl is if he buys a ticket.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Both Solder and Trent Brown made Pro Bowls. If Humphries continues this level of play the only way he gets to a Pro Bowl is if he buys a ticket.
So if he continues to only give up two sacks a year and be part of a line that averages five yards a carry, he won't make the Pro Bowl??

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Last edited:

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah and look at his penalty numbers. How many drives did he kill or how many sacks would he have given up if he wasn’t committing penalties? He is not a top 5 LT in the game but people on this board feel he should be. I would rather trade up and take Andrew Thomas than to pay Humphries $15M a year.
Looking at his accepted penalties 12 this year in 979 snaps- 5 false starts, 4 holds, 2 illegal blocks above the waste and 1 ineligible man downfield. The holds and illegal blocks came on 3 runs and 3 passes. His 12 penalties ties him for second for OT w/ Pro Bowler LT David Bakhtiari, 987 snaps- 6 Holds, 5 false starts and 1 illegal use of hands and RT Charles Leno (CHI) 992 snaps. They trail Pro Bowler LT Laremy Tunsil with 15 in 802 snaps- 12 false starts, 2 ineligible downfield and 1 hold. DJ was flagged only twice last year, both FS, in 522 snaps, none in 255 snaps in 2017, and 5 times in 2016 921 snaps- 3 FS, holding and illegal use of hands. Penalties are definitely up for him this year. Outlier and he'll swing back towards his previous performances? Something with the new system? Something with what Kuglar has changed with DJ and he needs to work through?

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Solder has never made a Pro Bowl, at least not as a starter, and neither had Brown prior to this year. This years Pro Bowl tackles, sacks, penalties and snaps vs DJ.
DJ 2, 12, 979
Tunsil 3, 15, 802
Brown 1, 5, 583
Stanley 0, 5, 936
Bakhtiari 2, 12, 987
Smith 0, 8, 882
Armstead 0,6, 881

Solder 11, 5, 936

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So if he continues to only give up two sacks a year and be part of a line that averages five yards a carry, he won't make the Pro Bowl??

not if he's 3rd in the league in penalties at LT and is a mediocre at best run blocker.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Did he make the Pro Bowl this year? Not trying to be a jerk but leading the league in penalties is not a Pro Bowl caliber LT.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Here’s the deal IMO, Humphries has never impressed me as a run blocker. However, with this style of offense the number one requirement is protecting Murray. I don’t think they can draft an LT who would do that better. New OTs typically adjust slowly to the speed, blitzes and stunts. They could get a better run blocker. I think Humphries has upped his game for FA dollars. That’s why I said, “Tag him.” He either continues to play well or you dump him. I’d rather have an upright Murray than anything I can think of.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Did he make the Pro Bowl this year? Not trying to be a jerk but leading the league in penalties is not a Pro Bowl caliber LT.
No he didn't this year, but Larmey Tunsil who is the actual league leader in penalties and David Bakhtiari who has just as many as DJ, both did. Clearly penalties is not a disqualifier for making the Pro Bowls.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think it is amazing Murray has been an acceptable starting RT all year. That right there tells me Kugler is darn good.

We got the guy as a free agent. Teams dont cut good T's ever - there is a shortage of them.

I think the way the line has been playing the last few weeks has been good enough.

I for one will be pissed if we spend our first rounder on a T instead of either a no 1 receiver or a defensive playmaker.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the deal IMO, Humphries has never impressed me as a run blocker. However, with this style of offense the number one requirement is protecting Murray. I don’t think they can draft an LT who would do that better. New OTs typically adjust slowly to the speed, blitzes and stunts. They could get a better run blocker. I think Humphries has upped his game for FA dollars. That’s why I said, “Tag him.” He either continues to play well or you dump him. I’d rather have an upright Murray than anything I can think of.
This. I don’t want a rookie protecting Kyler. We have three choices . Sign him, tag him or sign somebody as comparable. If we sign somebody then we go thru the “ learn the system” problem.

I lean heavily toward keep him.

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
tag him, draft a LT in the 2nd round and hope he can play RT well, than move him to LT if DJ isn't able to hold up that kind of play.

Basic NFL GM things.

For drafting WR, I do not know if that is what you want, since we need a #1 we probably have to get one by trade or FA because #1 need 1-2 years or more. Look DK Meatcalf isn't a real #1 for now and was a no show on some games as a rookie and many other #1 WR in the last years to needed 1-2 years to be solid #1. We probably drafted KS Johnson to be one, he showed some flashes, but didn't make it this year, maybe next year but who knows. Many of the wr in the last years did produce in college but couldn't make the transition to the nfl.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Check GB - Baktiari stats, who did make the Pro Bowl and was all Pro last year.
Are we looking at PFF? If so, he thing that jumps put is a PFF grade of 76 for Baktiari and a PFF grade of 64 for Humphries (starter level vs back up level). Plus Baktiari has a better body of work than Humphries (1 first team All Pro & 2 Pro Bowls) in addition dude has played 105 straight games (that would take Humphries to around his 10th year to reach that many games the way his career has started).

One last thing since you had me check in on Baktiari, he is making $11.5M a year for the next 2 years, if a guy with his accomplishments in NFL is making that then I take back my proposed off of $10M a year for Humphries and offer $8M a year if we are going to offer a multi year deal.

Baktiari is a FA after next year so maybe he could be a target as he will only be 30 when his next contract starts.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Are we looking at PFF? If so, he thing that jumps put is a PFF grade of 76 for Baktiari and a PFF grade of 64 for Humphries (starter level vs back up level). Plus Baktiari has a better body of work than Humphries (1 first team All Pro & 2 Pro Bowls) in addition dude has played 105 straight games (that would take Humphries to around his 10th year to reach that many games the way his career has started).

One last thing since you had me check in on Baktiari, he is making $11.5M a year for the next 2 years, if a guy with his accomplishments in NFL is making that then I take back my proposed off of $10M a year for Humphries and offer $8M a year if we are going to offer a multi year deal.

Baktiari is a FA after next year so maybe he could be a target as he will only be 30 when his next contract starts.
IMO Humphries signs for substantially more. I like PFF and have endorsed what they are trying to do. However, they are not an absolute and can be overly subjective depending on who’s doing the grading. Certainly their numbers are worth consulting but should not be the primary factor.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Don't bother insulting him; he'll make in the $15m+ range on the open market in the time it takes to say... Baktiari!

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Bakhtiari signed in 2016, that's ages ago for NFL contracts. Tunsil, Bakhtiari, and Stanley all have contract expiring after 2020, the price of LTs is going to skyrocket, sportstrac already has Tunsil projected at $18 million a year. DJ is going to get paid this year by someone, one way or the other.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
IMO Humphries signs for substantially more. I like PFF and have endorsed what they are trying to do. However, they are not an absolute and can be overly subjective depending on who’s doing the grading. Certainly their numbers are worth consulting but should not be the primary factor.
I agree but PFF is the only metric website I am aware that is available to provide that kind of data.

Don't bother insulting him; he'll make in the $15m+ range on the open market in the time it takes to say... Baktiari!
And that is the real shame. He thinks he is elite due to the one year he is going to reach 16 games and allowed 2 sacks. He is nowhere near elite but will feel entitled to elite money. He should realize $11M is his worth but he will feel insulted, so transition tag him. If he doesn't get offers you can throw him a team friendly one year deal or let him chump some Keim like GM into overpaying and regretting it soon afterwards.

Bakhtiari signed in 2016, that's ages ago for NFL contracts. Tunsil, Bakhtiari, and Stanley all have contract expiring after 2020, the price of LTs is going to skyrocket, sportstrac already has Tunsil projected at $18 million a year. DJ is going to get paid this year by someone, one way or the other.
People keep trying to compare apples to oranges here. All three guys you mentioned above made the Pro Bowl so they can command that kind of money. If Humphries made a Pro Bowl once in his five years in the league then maybe you can justify that he can be that kind of guy but guaranteed if you lock him up with a long term deal either the injuries will miraculously come back or you continue to see back up level play from your LT. I frankly don't see a team paying Humphries $15M a year unless it some desperate team like CLE who will not be able to attract FA's but teams picking ahead of us in need of OL help could go after Thomas, Wills or Wirfs.

OP
OP
slanidrac16

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Humphries also has to be real about sacks allowed. How many sacks would he have given up if Rosen had been our Qb?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here is the better question IMO...

How much annually would you be willing to commit to a contract over a 5 year stretch for DJ Humphries if you could not use the franchise tag on him this year?

https://overthecap.com/contracts/

If you want to sort by OT contracts to give you some educated context.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Here is the better question IMO...

How much annually would you be willing to commit to a contract over a 5 year stretch for DJ Humphries if you could not use the franchise tag on him this year?

https://overthecap.com/contracts/

If you want to sort by OT contracts to give you some educated context.

If this is correct...the OL franchise tag has gone down in value 3 years in a row:

2019 - 14,067,000

If true, you 100% franchise DJ and make him do it again in 2020 for ~14m

You don't really lose anything next year for a LT deal with a guy that will still only be 26 (his 26th birthday is tomorrow).

We simply can't afford giving him 30-40m guaranteed for 1 full season of availability.

You must be registered for see images attach

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
If this is correct...the OL franchise tag has gone down in value 3 years in a row:

2019 - 14,067,000

If true, you 100% franchise DJ and make him do it again in 2020 for ~14m

You don't really lose anything next year for a LT deal with a guy that will still only be 26 (his 26th birthday is tomorrow).

We simply can't afford giving him 30-40m guaranteed for 1 full season of availability.

You must be registered for see images attach
If you make DJ play under the tag in 2020, it is a no win scenario. Either he plays well, and you now have to pay him as one of the highest in the league or he craps the bed and you wasted 14 mil on him. Pay him the 14 mil for 5 years and move on.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If you make DJ play under the tag in 2020, it is a no win scenario. Either he plays well, and you now have to pay him as one of the highest in the league or he craps the bed and you wasted 14 mil on him. Pay him the 14 mil for 5 years and move on.
No, but I do agree with the move on part if he is asking for that kind of money. At best I offer him is the Riley Reiff contract (5 yrs $58.75M) and incentive the hell out of it. If he makes a Pro Bowl then he hits a bonus, if he plays 13 games or a certain number of snaps a season that's another bonus and I put a Nick Foles / Tyrod Taylor void clause (deal voids in 2 years but team has a negotiating window prior to deal voiding deadline) in it to make sure we don't pay him for a 60ish PFF grade season, if after the second year he still sucks then boom goes the dynamite on his contract. This team needs to protect itself from the 2015 - 2018 version of DJ Humphries.