Quick Early Draft Note

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tristan Wirfs. 6'5.322. 4 star recruit. First True Freshman to start at tackle in the Kirk Ferentz era. 31 starts in three years. Outland Trophy Semifinalist.

Also not blue chip?

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To what extent should the presence of our highly respected OL coach determine who we draft, keep or cut?

Could he give us some slack as to how much we should rely on high OL picks vs. waiting till later in the draft or sign 2 or 3 unsung linemen?

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
the draft strategy towards the OL will first be tipped by what happens with DJ Humphries

pretty sure he stays -- but does he stay under a long term deal, or, does he get franchised?

if franchised -- you almost have to take a OT in the first or second round

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The sadest part of drafting Lamb is that WR is still a need after picking Chad Williams, JJ Nelson, John Brown, Kirk, Isabella, Hakeem Butler and KeeSean Johnson. And the insane part is that the guy who made all those picks will be picking Cedee Lamb. SMH.

Sent from my 6060S using Tapatalk

HGC

All Star
Reaction score
The sadest part of drafting Lamb is that WR is still a need after picking Chad Williams, JJ Nelson, John Brown, Kirk, Isabella, Hakeem Butler and KeeSean Johnson. And the insane part is that the guy who made all those picks will be picking Cedee Lamb. SMH.

Bidwill has to turn the page. It’s time.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
How about Austin Jackson, USC? He's a local kid and looks like he could translate at LT (big & mobile).
I think ARZ would have to trade back into the first round (20s) to get Jackson, not sure he’s there with our second round pick unless we end up in Top 3. I like him though especially if we don’t get Andrew Thomas.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I think ARZ would have to trade back into the first round (20s) to get Jackson, not sure he’s there with our second round pick unless we end up in Top 3. I like him though especially if we don’t get Andrew Thomas.
If I am trading back, I think I would prefer Tyler Biadasz C Wisconsin. If I look at the top offensive lines in football and compare them to what we have had in our history, I see the biggest gap at C. We have had ok C, but never a top one. Most of the better offensive lines have a guy who is significantly better.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm totally with you on the train that taking Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson was a bad move, but that only happened because we literally had no one who could start at left tackle. AP was a pretty surefire talent from top to bottom, but many players drafted that high aren't.

I'm all for Chase Young, maybe Derrick Brown, but I want to stop ignoring our offensive line for flashier players, especially when we have three major openings. I would hate to sign the JR Sweezy of right tackles, or Trent Williams, so we have to ignore drafting a tackle because of the financial investment. I want a young fixture on the line for once. When have we ever had that as Arizona Cardinals fans?

The problem is they need to stop ignoring the OL in rounds 2-3. I think that is Harry's point. I'm all for drafting the "flashy" player in round one if they are the BPA. If your in the top 10, you should be drafting game changers, not just players to fill out your roster (i.e. guards). We should be able to get very good OL talent in rounds 2-3 but they always seem to ignore it until the end of the draft.

AZman5103

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Ive really kind of changed my tune over the course of this year. What you see now in FA is that elite Lineman do not become available. I want us to spend our first 2-3 picks in the trenches, and use our FA money to fill some of the gaps with skill positions.

The theory being, if you have Kyler, and you protect him at an elite level...he makes everyone better.

On defense, if you can stop the run and generate pressure with your D-Line, you make you LB's and CB's a lot better....they don't have to be "elite" players.

Assuming we are picking 5th or so, and Chase Young is off the board, I would like to see us trade down in the 1st (let someone come get a QB). I would trade PP21 for a 2nd and a 3rd, and I would go into the draft with a mid first round pick, 3 2nds, and 2 3rds (or something like that.

I pick at least 4 lineman (2 OL 2 DL) out of those 6 picks.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Joudy & Lamb are legit top 5 picks. Absolutely NONE of the guys you mentioned are even remotely in that category. The last time we picked a WR in the top 5 (Fitz), it worked out pretty damn good for us (future 1st ballot HOF'er). If we can't get the Chase Young from OSU, we definitely take one of those guys. I think my preference would be Joudy though.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Joudy & Lamb are legit top 5 picks. Absolutely NONE of the guys you mentioned are even remotely in that category. The last time we picked a WR in the top 5 (Fitz), it worked out pretty damn good for us (future 1st ballot HOF'er). If we can't get the Chase Young from OSU, we definitely take one of those guys. I think my preference would be Joudy though.
That is interesting because I am actually becoming a little skeptical regarding Jeudy. I am really interested to see him combine workout numbers. He is not a real big player, and I wonder how fast and quick he is. It could be because he is surrounded by Ruggs who is really fast, but during the LSU game he just didn't look dynamic enough to be a top 5 selection.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That is interesting because I am actually becoming a little skeptical regarding Jeudy. I am really interested to see him combine workout numbers. He is not a real big player, and I wonder how fast and quick he is. It could be because he is surrounded by Ruggs who is really fast, but during the LSU game he just didn't look dynamic enough to be a top 5 selection.

It’s tough to differentiate them from a size standpoint. I think Jeudy is 6’1 roughly 195. Lamb is maybe an inch taller & weighs about the same. Ruggs is probably 6’, but definitely the fastest of the three. I personally think Jeudy is the best all-around WR. He’s a phenomenal route runner, with excellent hands & great instincts. Lamb is faster than Jeudy & has running back vision in the open field. Ruggs is a speed merchant who doesn’t have the college production that the other 2 have. I’ve heard it said that Jeudy is the most polished receiver to come out in the last 8-10 years. I plan on watching more video of all 3. If K1 has any say, I’m sure he’d love to be throwing to Lamb.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

he’s had a lot of drops lately

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
he’s had a lot of drops lately
The LSU game was the first I had seen of it. The only reason it gave me pause is because it was against legit NFL dudes in the secondary. When a guy who lacks great size looks average vs NFL level players, you need to go back and take a 2nd look.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rohinaz

All Star
Reaction score
I'm not advoagainst drafting andrew Thomas in the 1st but I'd rather snag a proven veteran. Murray needs to have confidence in the oline.

Odds are, we will have the opportunity to draft OT thomas, wr jeudy, DT brown. I'd love to trade down for someone wanting a qb.

Wr justin Jefferson should be around in the middle or late 1st. 6 ft 3 with speed. Just won the blitnekauf award.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score

He looked dynamic vs LSU but didn’t finish the catches. It really killed them too because they couldn’t stop them from scoring.

Ruggs was excellent vs Auburn and looked like he had great chemistry with the backup QB.

I can’t talk myself into a WR in the top-10 though. Derrick Brown is the best option for us in that 7-10 area. High value and great upside at our weakest unit.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Ridley and cooper are good wr’s but their not julios, fitz, megatron guys. Those are the types of wrs I would hope to land with a top 5 pick. Jeudy reminds me of Ridley or cooper.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
my point it neither of those Tackles Thomas or Wirfs grade out at elite. Don’t pass elite(Adrian Peterson) for good( Levi Brown) because you have a need.

If I’m picking top 7 or top 5 I want Elite not good. It’s can’t be ignored lineman take 2-3 years to develop in today’s NFL that’s why I’m saying buy the line we’re going to have the money.

I disagree people will be very excited if we drafted Chase Young or Derrick Brown for the Line/olb because they are considered elite
Derrick Brown is who I want with our first pick. Chase Young won't be there when we pick. Then Wirfs or Thomas.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We won't get Chase Young, you can bet your life savings on that. Jeudy at Alabama I would take over Lamb, but I have SEC bias being a Kentucky fan lol. One OT we could pick up in the later rounds is Logan Stenburg at Kentucky, dude has a nasty streak & was just voted first team AP all SEC, so was their C Drake Jackson.

Cardsfaninlouky

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ruggs is the fastest player on that Alabama team, too bad he isn't draft eligible yet.