ARI @ CIN: Heroes and Goats

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I was clowned on at church on Sunday morning for wearing my Cardinals shirt. "They're just hopeless," one sixty-year old parishioner told me. Many looks of pity. We're maybe at the absolute rock-bottom of this period of excrescence. It's always darkest before the dawn.

You must be registered for see images attach

Pharoh Cooper – Coming in Tuesday, it's likely that Cooper was giving a limited package of plays to study and perfect in advance of the game. He was still excellent at being there when needed both on the offense and special teams.

David Johnson
– David Johnson had 150 yards from scrimmage yesterday, and was an engine in the offense when the passing game began to bog down. He may never be one of the 5 best running backs in the NFL again, but he's among the Top 10.

Chandler Jones – Another sack and he was only off the field for 5 plays. One of the few regular bright spots on a defense that I expect to make a significant leap when Patrick Peterson returns from suspension. We're 2 players away from having an excellent defense.

You must be registered for see images attach

KeeSean Johnson – Johnson was targeted 7 times and ended the day with 3 receptions for 22 yards. All three resulted first downs, which is good. But Johnson has to elevate his game above being a semi-reliable sticks-mover.

Budda Baker – There are a lot of guys on this defense who can be the 4th to 8th best player on a good defense, and Baker is another one of those guys. But he's not a playmaker, as evidenced by the no plays that he makes.

Andy Isabella – Pharoh Cooper came in and took Isabella's return job and got more snaps than him. It's remarkable that someone who got so many touches in college didn't develop any actual football skills.

Did the future of football arrive?
It's important to remember that the Bengals are an extremely bad football team, and we won on a field goal as time expired. Kyler Murray might not even want to be a dual threat-quarterback, but the Cardinals aren't going to win many games with him doing his best Drew Brees impression. Murray needs to be watching tape of DeShaun Watson. Even on the TD run, Murray is going to find out that you're not going to juke NFL players like you could in the Big 12. It didn't work against the Seahawks, and the Bengals defender wasn't fooled.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The last 2drives of our defense were just horrible, Budda baker out of position in the long TD pass
But the additions of the Thompson's has something to do limiting opposing tigh ends (just 4receptions, for 30 yards)

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Sold all of my Baker stock yesterday. Loved him coming out of college. Liked him the past couple of years. He's now more of a liability than an asset. No playmaking capabilities, subpar coverage skills and not a great tackler.

Isabella getting 10 snaps yesterday is an embarrassment and another demerit on Keim's resume. DK Metcalf would've gotten a lot more attention.

KeeSean Johnson has become Stephen Williams. Elite preseason and TC, underwhelming start to the regular season.

TJ

Reaction score
Also, Kyler may not want to be a DT-QB, but if he wants to be an elite QB, or a really good QB as a rookie, he has to use his legs to keep defenses honest and make it easier to read defenses. Having 4.3 speed and not using it to its fullest is kind of a disservice to the team. That's also Kliff's responsibility

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
We're 2 players away from having an excellent defense.
Woah.... You really think so?

Andy should be totally embarrassed. Cooper just took his lunch money.

Kyler deserves some Hero love IMO. This is a game we usually lose in Eastern Standard Time.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Woah.... You really think so?

Andy should be totally embarrassed. Cooper just took his lunch money.

Kyler deserves some Hero love IMO. This is a game we usually lose in Eastern Standard Time.

I do. I think if we got Peterson back and had an either an elite safety or above-average interior lineman, we'd be a top 10 defense.

TJ

Reaction score
Think we need three more players: One really good DL, one solid ILB, and a great safety.

That would allow Vance to be a little more creative and take more risks.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I do. I think if we got Peterson back and had an either an elite safety or above-average interior lineman, we'd be a top 10 defense.
Fair point.

Pat should make a big difference, but our pass rush needs to be much more destructive IMO. Problem is, none of them stop the run.

DL, Pass Rusher, CB, & A Tre Boston type. Why did we not resign him?

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Think we need three more players: One really good DL, one solid ILB, and a great safety.

That would allow Vance to be a little more creative and take more risks.

Yeah, you'd like a very good ILB, but we're not bringing one in. That's the world we live in. I think that Reddick's celing is a solid ILB; we have to hope we can develop him to that.

An elite safety would transform this defense.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Hmmm. Keeshawn at the top of the goat's list.

Yeah, I think he had three drops yesterday. One on the very first drive, one later in the first half on the sideline, and then another in the 2nd half.

The were all fairly tough catches, but come on Keeshawn. That's what you get paid to do man.

Honorable mention for the hero's list:

Mr. Zane Gonzalez. Game winner was right down the middle baby.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Yeah, you'd like a very good ILB, but we're not bringing one in. That's the world we live in. I think that Reddick's celing is a solid ILB; we have to hope we can develop him to that.

Deone Bucannon?

Sent from my mystical communication warp drive device thingy

BleedRed

Registered
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I thought Jonathan Bullard played really well yesterday. Not sure how many tackles he had but he made some plays. I was impressed with him.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah again I hate to keep harping on it but honestly if Isabella were a 6th rounder would he even be on the roster right now? He looks like he can contribute on ST but so does Cooper and he's a better returner and right now a better receiver.

Andy deserves a full year to learn and I hope his PT increases this season but so far I honestly don't see it with him.

I hope he blossoms but you have to be concerned guys like Byrd and Cooper have more NFL experience obviously but Byrd is a speed guy who's done nothing in the NFL and Cooper is a return guy, that they both seem so clearly ahead of Andy right now is a concern IMO.

I keep hoping this is the game he breaks out and it keeps not happening. 10 snaps with as thin as we are at WR is a big concern.

Last edited:

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

Reddick made a few really good plays against Cincinnati. His 4th down stop was, nice; shed weak block by Mixon and stuffed Dalton for a loss. He also got a QB hit or two on the blitz. He is a disappointing player for sure, but he's not as bad as 70% of this board claims. I know I've heard you talk about this before, but outside of the top ten of the draft, if you draft a solid contributor in the first round every year, you can live with that. I think Reddick is starting to be a solid contributor, just not the star people expect.

I'm with you on Budda. Solid player, but doesn't make ANY plays. That sucks but it's not a deal breaker. The problem isn't necessarily that he doesn't make plays, it's that no one in the secondary is making any big plays. What's crazy is that there have only been two real opportunities, Murphy's drop in the Seahawks game and Brock's drop in the Lions game. They just haven't been in position to make plays on the ball. I don't think Murphy is ever going to be a big play guy, so the team needs a free safety that can make consistent interceptions.

My heroes:

1) Murray. He played the way he needs to play. He played the way I envisioned him playing.
2) David Johnson. I agree, he isn't a top five RB anymore, but most of the NFL he would start for.
3) Murphy. This kid is legit good. You see his feel for coverage, and his ability to get PBUs. I can't remember a rookie corner coming in and having the feel that he does.
4. Chandler Jones. He is one of the few consistent playmakers on defensive. Suggs is hot and cold, but that is to be expected with an older player. The Cardinals need to find a young pass rusher.
5) Maxx Williams. Best blocking TE the Cardinals have had in a while.

My Goats:
1) Budda Baker. Got burnt. Doesn't make any plays. I think he's better suited playing near the line of scrimmage. Maybe better at SS?
2) Vance Joseph. Too often the defensive call has players out of position. I know he is having to scheme around 3 rookies playing significant snaps and the corpse of Brock playing a lot, but too often players are way out of position.
3) Young WRs. Have to play better. Too many dropped passes and mistakes.

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
Surprised no one mentioned Edmonds. I’ve been posting my issues with him. Sunday the Cards used him in a more Sproles way and may have found his value. He ran hard and showed more burst than I’ve previously seen.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Reddick is getting better yes, but doesn't play the position he belongs
He is a olb in 43 defense
His reaction is still slow to play the centerpiece of the defense
Instict is something u have or u don't

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Sold all of my Baker stock yesterday. Loved him coming out of college. Liked him the past couple of years. He's now more of a liability than an asset. No playmaking capabilities, subpar coverage skills and not a great tackler.

Isabella getting 10 snaps yesterday is an embarrassment and another demerit on Keim's resume. DK Metcalf would've gotten a lot more attention.

KeeSean Johnson has become Stephen Williams. Elite preseason and TC, underwhelming start to the regular season.
6th round pick who doesn't have great speed. He is everything he can be at this point. If you are expecting him to be a starting WR, that is on you, not him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The difference between us and many better defenses is a secondary with continuity and a little more talent, and an interior pass rusher at 3-4 DE.

You don't even need a great edge rusher opposite of Jones, if you have someone like Calais Campbell inside to push the pocket.

I am pretty excited at this point with the potential secondary of

CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Byron Murphy
CB: Robert Alford
CB: Trumaine Brock

S: ???
S: Budda Baker

They just need to play together more than anything and you will see more picks and less busted coverages.

Side note, I liked what I saw from the Thompson's yesterday. I can't tell them apart yet, but it was a decent initial showing. They made mistakes, but they are rookies making a big jump in terms of competition faced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson