What Does Kyler Murray Really Want? - SI Article by Robert Klemko

POISON

Formerly known as Okieguy
Reaction score
Family of control freaks.Dad trying to fix his failures thru his son.A bundle of crazy trouble with that family.Even the Murray backers should think about the baggage on that crazy train.
Sure looks like some entitlement issues there also.
Just how much do you hate this guy? I can't stand OU but he couldn’t be any worse than the clod we have now. Rosen jerseys won't fetch $5 in 8 days.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Question but has KK said anything negative about anyone yet? I can't find any examples. Clearly KK loves Kyler but even if he hated his father, I doubt we'd ever hear anything but positive coming from KK about him.

I heard in an interview with KK that he knew the father well and played golf with him. Sorry but I can't remember when I heard that. It may have been at the Combine.

HeHasRosen

All Star
Reaction score
I just laugh when people say Rosen will be good. There are literally zero indicators that is true by all measurable QB statistics

If the Cardinals win it is despite Rosen not because of Rosen

I don't think anyone is saying he WILL be good. Were saying he can. All the experts agree that he can. I will take their opinion over yours. Especially when all your arguments rely on stats, in which all historic evidence points to Murray more likely being a bust than this generational talent you think he will be.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. Don't know much about contractual language or anything... But I'm assuming they will make sure there is a guarantee for at least a set amount of years before he could bounce or will lose all his guaranteed money or bonuses.

Sure but the point is if you take Murray and trade Rosen, you're ALL IN on Murray. I don't care if he has to give back his entire contract, if he struggles a bit and decides to go play baseball that's a huge setback for the franchise going from having 2 QBOTF(briefly) to having none. That's why they need to be sure he's ALL IN.

There's a bunch of evidence about QB's that succeed quickly in the NFL, Murray has all teh stats they look for, but he doesn't have the experience. That's a concern but nothing you can do about that.

I'm basically of the opinion we hired Kliff so we have to trust him, if we pick Murray, I will trust that Kliff is right, if we don't, I will trust that Kliff decided he wasn't sure enough to do that.

Dan H

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Sure but the point is if you take Murray and trade Rosen, you're ALL IN on Murray. I don't care if he has to give back his entire contract, if he struggles a bit and decides to go play baseball that's a huge setback for the franchise going from having 2 QBOTF(briefly) to having none. That's why they need to be sure he's ALL IN.

There's a bunch of evidence about QB's that succeed quickly in the NFL, Murray has all teh stats they look for, but he doesn't have the experience. That's a concern but nothing you can do about that.

I'm basically of the opinion we hired Kliff so we have to trust him, if we pick Murray, I will trust that Kliff is right, if we don't, I will trust that Kliff decided he wasn't sure enough to do that.

Kind of where I'm at. I'm ready for the draft to be over so we can move past it and talk about guys who are actually on the team.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
I don't think anyone is saying he WILL be good. Were saying he can. All the experts agree that he can. I will take their opinion over yours. Especially when all your arguments rely on stats, in which all historic evidence points to Murray more likely being a bust than this generational talent you think he will be.
First, I still like and value josh. A lot. But truth is, other than showing moxie and he can take a lick, he didn’t show a ton last year. And if no team is willing to fork over a first round pick for him, I guess the true experts don’t agree with our assessment, do they?

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
First, I still like and value josh. A lot. But truth is, other than showing moxie and he can take a lick, he didn’t show a ton last year. And if no team is willing to fork over a first round pick for him, I guess the true experts don’t agree with our assessment, do they?

We have one week to see what his value is to teams that need a QB, because other teams may want him but willing to risk waiting to see if he is still available post draft.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We have one week to see what his value is to teams that need a QB, because other teams may want him but willing to risk waiting to see if he is still available post draft.
True. It’s a gamble on both sides. But who is more desperate? The team with two QBOF or the team with none. I know which I’d rather be. And that’s why I laugh at all the posters who claim once we draft kyler we are in a position weakness. Quite the contrary.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Let's just say I wouldn't drink a beer with Bosa after the stuff I've read.
If we judged everything that came out of a 22 year olds mouth when they were in college, people wouldn't be having a beer with Rosen either. Or most the other kids who are inclined to think for themselves and speak their mind before the thought police get to them. Not an endorsement for any of them or their positions or Trump or racists - just more an endorsement for free speech and tolerance. Plenty of people who have a platform that I cant stand and totally disagree with on both extremes. BTW, no judgement toward you Krang, you exercise your rights by having a beer with whoever you want and appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts here.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Notable red flags and concerns with the potential #1 draft pick of Kyler Murray:

• Only one season as a starter in college
  • Questionable commitment to the sport of football
  • Could flee to baseball at a moments notice
  • 2nd percentile for height for his position
  • Small frame
  • Questionable influential social circle
  • No noticeable leadership traits
  • Can he operate within the confines of a playbook, or will he play sandlot football all of the time?

Agree or disagree, these are legit concerns for the top pick in this class. Almost all of these cannot be said for the top 10-15 prospects in this draft.

Again, I'm not saying he won't be good, but your #1 pick has to be near flawless and fail-safe. There is a greater chance that Murray will flop than Bosa or Williams, and I'm not convinced that Murray will a) be better than Rosen or b) be more impactful than Bosa or Williams.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Ah but you just criticized two different things with very different demographics. Bosa criticized a bunch of things all with the same general supporting demographic. It’s called a trend. Taken individually they are pieces of data. When viewed in the entirety they paint a picture. Whether the picture is accurate or not is difficult to determine from the outside looking in, but you ignore the apparent picture at your own peril.

If you look hard enough anyone can find a trend.I don`t buy the grassy knoll nonsense.If there was a trend and Bosa has a problem then why has nothing been heard or read about problems with current or past teammates? You want to know a trend.. who have nearly all the abuse suspensions,allegations,investigations been about? Where was the moral outrage when those players were allowed back in the league?To me that shows more of a trend than posting some tweets that might offend some PC people.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Notable red flags and concerns with the potential #1 draft pick of Kyler Murray:

• Only one season as a starter in college
  • Questionable commitment to the sport of football
  • Could flee to baseball at a moments notice
  • 2nd percentile for height for his position
  • Small frame
  • Questionable influential social circle
  • No noticeable leadership traits
  • Can he operate within the confines of a playbook, or will he play sandlot football all of the time?

Agree or disagree, these are legit concerns for the top pick in this class. Almost all of these cannot be said for the top 10-15 prospects in this draft.

Again, I'm not saying he won't be good, but your #1 pick has to be near flawless and fail-safe. There is a greater chance that Murray will flop than Bosa or Williams, and I'm not convinced that Murray will a) be better than Rosen or b) be more impactful than Bosa or Williams.

I agree with SOME if what you are saying, but some of it is speculation.

For years people have touted Fitzgerald's leadership on the Cardinals, and Murray is reportedly the same way. Not a loud rah rah guy, more of a prove by action kind of guy. In my experience, that's the type of leader who is the most effective, because you see them come through time and time again.

Questionable social network??? I've seen nothing to indicate that. His dad is involved in the process with him. Every person I've heard talk about Murray has said hes a good dad and hes not overbearing. Lincoln Riley spoke with him once.

Murray didnt sandlot at Oklahoma. Small sample size but he didnt much.

What's the biggest bust concern? Injuries. Bosa has two. How many does Murray have? Rosen has a bigger injury concerns than Murray. He had injury concerns coming out.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score

For years people have touted Fitzgerald's leadership on the Cardinals, and Murray is reportedly the same way. Not a loud rah rah guy, more of a prove by action kind of guy. In my experience, that's the type of leader who is the most effective, because you see them come through time and time again.

Questionable social network??? I've seen nothing to indicate that. His dad is involved in the process with him. Every person I've heard talk about Murray has said hes a good dad and hes not overbearing. Lincoln Riley spoke with him once.

What's the biggest bust concern? Injuries. Bosa has two. How many does Murray have? Rosen has a bigger injury concerns than Murray. He had injury concerns coming out.

Is Murrays Daddy going to come to camp and tuck him in and read him a story at bedtime and answer his questions at press conferences too?

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
If we judged everything that came out of a 22 year olds mouth when they were in college, people wouldn't be having a beer with Rosen either. Or most the other kids who are inclined to think for themselves and speak their mind before the thought police get to them. Not an endorsement for any of them or their positions or Trump or racists - just more an endorsement for free speech and tolerance. Plenty of people who have a platform that I cant stand and totally disagree with on both extremes. BTW, no judgement toward you Krang, you exercise your rights by having a beer with whoever you want and appreciate your willingness to share your thoughts here.
I agree with your post, to a point. Let’s not condone things or overlook them due to a collegians age. These aren’t 12 year olds. By 18 you have the right to die for your country and vote. You’re not fully formed, but formed enough to be held accountable.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

• Only one season as a starter in college. TRUE. ALSO THIS - DUE TO COMPETITION AND INJURY BOSA HAS HAD SIMILAR LIMITED PT
  • Questionable commitment to the sport of football EYE OF THR BEHOLDER - AS STATED EARLIER RISKED MILLIONS TO PLAY FOOTBALL, SEEMS BEYOND QUESTION
  • Could flee to baseball at a moments notice THIS IS REALLY THE SAME AS ABOVE
  • 2nd percentile for height for his position TRUE
  • Small frame TRUE
  • Questionable influential social circle BEYOND HIS FATHER, WHO ELSE? IVE NOT HEARD HE HAS A BAD ENTOURAGE
  • No noticeable leadership traits I’LL ASK AGAIN - PLEASE PROVIDE LINK BC I LEGITIMATELY WANT TO KNOW IF THIS HAS BEEN RAISED BY THISE AROUND HIM - IF NOT, THIS CONTINUING ARGUMENT IS DRIPPING IN HATERADE
  • Can he operate within the confines of a playbook, or will he play sandlot football all of the time? SEEMED TO HAVE EXCELLED IN THE SAME OFFENSE AS BAKER MAYFIELD WHO, BY ALL ACCOUNTS, HAD A MAGNIFICENT ROOKIE NFL SEASON

See above response in ALL CAPS.

Also, considering Bosa’s injury history, his limited snaps in his entire collegiate career, and the fact we haven’t seen him take a snap in how many months I don’t think you can call him anywhere near “flawless” or “fail-safe.” In fact I think it’s downright slanted and disingenuous to list the concerns you have for Murray and think Bosa is anything but a risk as well.

Here’s what I believe, all of Murray, Bosa and Rosen are risks (Quinnen as well, but to a lesser extent). I agree that Murray may be the riskiest. But I also think he’s the biggest homerun. If they all hit their ceiling (including whomever would be gotten for Rosen in a trade because I get that you have to view it as Murray/Rosen trade v Rosen/Bosa) I think the Murray package propels the franchise furthest.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
If you look hard enough anyone can find a trend.I don`t buy the grassy knoll nonsense.If there was a trend and Bosa has a problem then why has nothing been heard or read about problems with current or past teammates? You want to know a trend.. who have nearly all the abuse suspensions,allegations,investigations been about? Where was the moral outrage when those players were allowed back in the league?To me that shows more of a trend than posting some tweets that might offend some PC people.

This.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The difference is Murray is a QB. QB's by nature tend to be extroverts and vocal leaders. Not saying you can't be great and not be that but it's unusual.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
You want to know a trend.. who have nearly all the abuse suspensions,allegations,investigations been about? Where was the moral outrage when those players were allowed back in the league?To me that shows more of a trend than posting some tweets that might offend some PC people.

Uh, what are saying without actually wanting to say it in the bold? I’d be careful because it seems you’re tapdancing in a direction that would uncover why you’re fighting to protect Bosa here . . .

And you want the moral outrage? Just flip back through prior threads on here and you’ll find plenty of moral outrage. You literally don’t know what the hell your talking about when you keep making that argument on this board.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The difference is Murray is a QB. QB's by nature tend to be extroverts and vocal leaders. Not saying you can't be great and not be that but it's unusual.
Here is the simplest way that I can describe it.

For a position whose success in the NFL seems to depend on a player's ability to be prepared and decisive, Kyler Murray failed to show either of these in the pre-draft process. He has not been decisive nor has he shown to be prepared.

Concerning.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
See above response in ALL CAPS.

Also, considering Bosa’s injury history, his limited snaps in his entire collegiate career, and the fact we haven’t seen him take a snap in how many months I don’t think you can call him anywhere near “flawless” or “fail-safe.” In fact I think it’s downright slanted and disingenuous to list the concerns you have for Murray and think Bosa is anything but a risk as well.

Here’s what I believe, all of Murray, Bosa and Rosen are risks (Quinnen as well, but to a lesser extent). I agree that Murray may be the riskiest. But I also think he’s the biggest homerun. If they all hit their ceiling (including whomever would be gotten for Rosen in a trade because I get that you have to view it as Murray/Rosen trade v Rosen/Bosa) I think the Murray package propels the franchise furthest.

Well said.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Here is the simplest way that I can describe it.

For a position whose success in the NFL seems to depend on a player's ability to be prepared and decisive, Kyler Murray failed to show either of these in the pre-draft process. He has not been decisive nor has he shown to be prepared.

Concerning.
This I give some credence to. I think he’s being given poor advice how to handle all this. That said, those qualities didn’t seem to evidence themselves in his play on the field.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson