What Does Kyler Murray Really Want? - SI Article by Robert Klemko

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because he apparently kept the offer from the A's somewhat secret. There's 2 ways to look at that, he didn't think it was anybody's business(and maybe the A's asked him to) or the one people are afraid of, he didn't want football people to know what the A's had offered because they might then doubt his commitment to football. There's this theory out there that the reason he announced he'd given up baseball for football is he has some guarantee he's going high in the NFL draft. If you look at the timeline, our season ends in December, we hire Kingsbury in January, and he commits to play football only in Feb. People are connecting the dots and thinking he was told we're probably going to pick him, and or someone else will pick him very high so the football guaranteed money tops the baseball guaranteed money.

That may not be true at all, he may have just taken that long to look at the whole situation and make a decision, but people who are concerned about his commitment to football are doing that math and coming to the conclusion he picked football because he thinks he's being picked high enough that the money will be better. He didn't make the A's offer public because he was afraid it would lower his draft value to NFL teams.

I have no idea what's true and what's not but that's the speculation out there, they were talking about it on ESPN on some draft show last night. Some teams think he hid the real A's offer because they thought if it were public, the NFL would be less convinced he was committed to football.

It's a very unusual case.
Yeah.. too much of a spaghetti Western for us to know in absolutes about any of this. Imo

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And of course the key is as was said before the idea of playing 2 sports professionally, it's doable if you're a RB or a CB, not easy but doable. If you're a QB there's no way in hell you can be dedicated enough to be a top QB if you're playing baseball in the offseason. And even if you're not playing baseball, if they don't think you're 100% in, they're going to be concerned because a QB HAS to be 100% in.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
I'd say from my estimate, 90% of the anti-Murray handwringing is manufactured nonsense.

Kyler Murray has been his height since he was like 15, so he knows how to play around his height deficit (which is also exaggerated). Murray has a preternatural ability to avoid hits. WATCH THE FILM, it's as plain as day that Murray just doesn't take big hits. There have been numerous NFL stars over the years that had this ability, and from what I saw, Murray is among the best. He has tremendous passing mechanics, he really maximizes his natural talents which is indicative of all the coaching his father gave him from the very beginning of his football career (I'm talking Pop Warner). To me, if Kyler Murray was 6'5, no question, almost everyone on this board would be backing him up.

His desire is in question? Really? It's ridiculous. Like I said there are REAL reasons to dislike Kyler Murray, but desire? I think his lack of starts and the fact that he hasn't really handled adversity are big issues, big enough that I am comfortable passing on him.

Really one of the things that sucks the most is that there isn't a great top pick this year. Bosa is a douche and has injury concerns. Q Williams has very limited sample size and was a late bloomer. Murray hasn't demonstrated the mental makeup you need to succeed. And everyone else is a tier below and would be a reach at #1. I'd love to trade down to 4 or 6 and draft Jawan Taylor or someone else and add a buttload of picks.

Bosa is a douche? Because he doesn`t like someones music or a certain movie and the injury concerns are real but not a bad as the lazy look saYs.The proverbial race card brought up by the Bosa detractors.LMFAO.In this age of PC not kssing everyones ass makes you a douche? So since Murrays Dad is carrying a grudge from 30 years ago for a perceived slight that means he is a Douche and a control freak pulling the strings.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
After reading the article...Drafting Murray is even more of a risk with Wacko Dad pulling the strings behind the scenes.Too much crazy to bring to AZ IMHO along with the baggage.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess Florio is already calling BS on the Keim presser. Stating the agent was absolutely there for this last visit and Keim responded no, twice. I guess it all just comes down to context at the end of the day. Lol. No, he wasnt in the room when we met.. but he was in this other room..and this other one. Lol

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I guess Florio is already calling BS on the Keim presser. Stating the agent was absolutely there for this last visit and Keim responded no, twice. I guess it all just comes down to context at the end of the day. Lol. No, he wasnt in the room when we met.. but he was in this other room..and this other one. Lol

Florio also said that Kliff was still in New York an hour before Arizona formally announced that it had signed him to be HC and published a video of him in Tempe. Florio isn't very good at this location thing.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of the best things that came out of Murray's workout was the claim by people there that his delivery was quick. If you watch highlights of the guy he always had a hitch, not as bad as some guys but he would drop the ball down a bit and then come back up and throw it. That led to some plays where even with his extremely strong arm, wide open Wr's would be slowing up and waiting on the ball at OU. From what I read of his pro day, that was not the case there he had a quick release with no apparent hitch.

I also agree with what Krang said, there's a difference between running QB's and elusive QBs. Aaron Rodgers is elusive, Russell Wilson is elusive, Colin K and Grifin were running QB's. The problem with running QB's is they get hit by NFL size defenders and they get hurt, elusive QB's buy time to get the ball downfield, or run for a few yards and then go down or step out of bounds. For years I've been complaining Wilson drives me nuts, but what drives me nuts is we never get to unload on him. We sack him but they are never big hits, and when he runs, he steps out or flips the ball forward to avoid the hit. If you watch Murray that's one of the things that immediately is obvious, he doesnt' get hit that much. Yes they had a good OL but he just doesn't take big hits he finds a way to avoid them.

My biggest concern with him has always just been lack of experience.

Timm Rosenbach

Bye Bye DJ
Reaction score
We need this guy like we need a hole in our head. Bidwill and Kliff will go down as imbeciles if Murray is the pick and he busts. This screams disaster. I hope he drops like a rock in the draft if Cards pass on him. Would be nice life lesson for the family

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need this guy like we need a hole in our head. Bidwill and Kliff will go down as imbeciles if Murray is the pick and he busts. This screams disaster. I hope he drops like a rock in the draft if Cards pass on him. Would be nice life lesson for the family
Harsh take

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Bosa is a douche? Because he doesn`t like someones music or a certain movie and the injury concerns are real but not a bad as the lazy look saYs.The proverbial race card brought up by the Bosa detractors.LMFAO.In this age of PC not kssing everyones ass makes you a douche? So since Murrays Dad is carrying a grudge from 30 years ago for a perceived slight that means he is a Douche and a control freak pulling the strings.
I think both Bosa and Kylers dad are douches.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One of the best things that came out of Murray's workout was the claim by people there that his delivery was quick. If you watch highlights of the guy he always had a hitch, not as bad as some guys but he would drop the ball down a bit and then come back up and throw it. That led to some plays where even with his extremely strong arm, wide open Wr's would be slowing up and waiting on the ball at OU. From what I read of his pro day, that was not the case there he had a quick release with no apparent hitch.

I also agree with what Krang said, there's a difference between running QB's and elusive QBs. Aaron Rodgers is elusive, Russell Wilson is elusive, Colin K and Grifin were running QB's. The problem with running QB's is they get hit by NFL size defenders and they get hurt, elusive QB's buy time to get the ball downfield, or run for a few yards and then go down or step out of bounds. For years I've been complaining Wilson drives me nuts, but what drives me nuts is we never get to unload on him. We sack him but they are never big hits, and when he runs, he steps out or flips the ball forward to avoid the hit. If you watch Murray that's one of the things that immediately is obvious, he doesnt' get hit that much. Yes they had a good OL but he just doesn't take big hits he finds a way to avoid them.

My biggest concern with him has always just been lack of experience.

I think the lack of experience and questions about leadership are the toughest ones for me. There just aren't many good NFL QBs who only started 1 year in college — and you're drafting Murray with the expectation he's going to be GREAT, because you're turning the page on a QB that I think is going to be pretty good.

The leadership thing is really hard. I don't have enough information, but the stuff in Klemcko's piece is pretty damning. We've all had to deal with crazy coaches.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think the lack of experience and questions about leadership are the toughest ones for me. There just aren't many good NFL QBs who only started 1 year in college — and you're drafting Murray with the expectation he's going to be GREAT, because you're turning the page on a QB that I think is going to be pretty good.

The leadership thing is really hard. I don't have enough information, but the stuff in Klemcko's piece is pretty damning. We've all had to deal with crazy coaches.

Agree. For me the highlight of the article is that Scot McCloughan is not sure about Murray's leadership skills in that article. Hope Cardinals brass at least know Scott Mcloughan is not 100% sure.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
The #1 thing for me is still sample size. He sat behind Baker for a year and learned the system and was probably familiar with the personnel from practice. Oklahoma has a lot of NFL talent. It was a near perfect situation for him.

The baseball thing I’m not too worried about. A team can probably put some stuff in there contractually if they need to feel more comfortably about it.

dscher

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The #1 thing for me is still sample size. He sat behind Baker for a year and learned the system and was probably familiar with the personnel from practice. Oklahoma has a lot of NFL talent. It was a near perfect situation for him.

The baseball thing I’m not too worried about. A team can probably put some stuff in there contractually if they need to feel more comfortably about it.
Agreed. Don't know much about contractual language or anything... But I'm assuming they will make sure there is a guarantee for at least a set amount of years before he could bounce or will lose all his guaranteed money or bonuses.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Biased article against Kyler and his father. KK knows Kyler and his father very well and is very positive on both. Heard Kyler's high school coaches being interviewed on the Doug an Wolfe show and said that the father was never a problem.

BirdDroppings

Rookie
Reaction score
Biased article against Kyler and his father. KK knows Kyler and his father very well and is very positive on both. Heard Kyler's high school coaches being interviewed on the Doug an Wolfe show and said that the father was never a problem.

Question but has KK said anything negative about anyone yet? I can't find any examples. Clearly KK loves Kyler but even if he hated his father, I doubt we'd ever hear anything but positive coming from KK about him.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score

What was the leadership stuff? I haven’t read that.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just laugh when people say Rosen will be good. There are literally zero indicators that is true by all measurable QB statistics

If the Cardinals win it is despite Rosen not because of Rosen

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave