The Kyler Murray-pick - 15 thoughts.

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
1 – If you deeply believe you have the opportunity to add a generational talent to the team – and at the most position at that – you have to pull the trigger. People need to remember that Steve Keim is employed to do just that; trying to improve the team.

Nobody know Murray better than Kingsbury, so Keim cannot have gotten better information to make that decision.

2 – One of the biggest concerns I have with Murray is that I can’t figure out what’s the deal with him and his dad. Now, Kingsbury knows his dad, and thus he knows what to expect. That comforts me some.

3 – The Cardinals anno 2019 are definitely first movers, huh? Hiring a young college head coach with a losing record as their new head coach, and now going with a relatively inexperienced quarterback who’s type of player has never been seen before in the NFL (no, he is not Russell Wilson), and much less as the #1 overall pick. I kind of like this new hipster, trendy Cardinals-edition, although it certainly test my nerves.

4 – For the first time in my time as a fan – and I know it’s the first time in some of yours’ long time as fans – the Cardinals in the national media’s eyes are legitimately interesting, fascinating and in the spotlight, and that’s even without needing to win first. It might not matter in the big picture, but it does makes for more exposure, and to me as a fan, that makes it more fun.

5 – I find it hard to argue much on this situation one way or another in an historical perspective because it is such an unique situation. It might never happen again.

6 – Just allow yourself to imagine for a second if this becomes a success. My God, how this team would be explosive and unpredictable.

7 – Unless Michael Bidwill directly ordered Keim to take Murray, this selection shows that the three top decision makers are on the same page. I really like that.

8 – Just the other day I read an article (read it by clicking here) about Murray’s recruitment after high school, and I came by an interesting note:

“Four-star dual-threat quarterback Kyler Murray’s decision where to play college football came down to Oregon and Texas A&M.

The Allen, Texas native ultimately decided to stay close to home and announced on Wednesday that he would join the Aggies

But before making his final choice, he needed some advice and turned to Texas Tech coach Kliff Kingsbury.”

9 – I also heard a podcast wherein there was an interview with Fox Sports analyst and highly knowledgably about Oklahoma, Joel Klatt. He told a story where he attended Baker Mayfield’s pro day ahead of last years’ draft, and at one point he got a chance to ask Mayfield what to expect from his understudy, this guy Kyler Murray. Mayfield answered “he might be better than me.” Now, if you know anything about Mayfield, you certainly also know that he is normally way too self-confident to talk like that about anyone.

10 – When Josh Rosen was selected a lot of fans – correctly – talked about how it gave the team a window of about four or five years, before he would hopefully get a massive contract extension, to surround him with as much talent as possible to go after a Super Bowl. Well, that window has just been expanded by one year.

11 – I can’t put my finger on it, but something just doesn’t feel right about this. Isolated, it doesn’t matter that Murray didn’t attend an official NFL event as the only prospect in Nashville, and it doesn’t matter that he sits in an interview on national TV and simply just looks at the host without talking, and it doesn’t matter that he was the only prospect who removed his new team-hat before the interview on stage with Deion Sanders. I don’t know, I am just a bit nervous about the situation. I had the same feeling at Steve Wilks’ introductory press conference, but I am sure I have also had it in situation where it turned out differently successful.

12 – I wonder if Christian Kirk and Murray know each other and maybe even has some sort of connection from their one year together at Texas A&M.

13 – Some say it was symbolic that the rain began to pour just as was announced that the Cardinals were on the clock – meaning in a negative way. Well, in Denmark some say that if it rains at a wedding “gold will rain down the brides lap.” Maybe that applies to this marriage.

14 – I really liked how Murray went back to the green room to wait with his college teammates Marquis Brown and Cody Ford who had not been picked yet. It show that he cares.

15 – If you can’t get who you love – love who you get. First and foremost I’m a Cardinals fan. I still am today, I still will be tomorrow, and I still will be in the future.

Last edited:

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good stuff Gandhi. Suggest you do one of your 15 thoughts after the draft. It would be interesting with all the picks the Cards have. I'm positive on the Murray pick but just wonder how it will work with Rosen if not traded.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good stuff Gandhi. Suggest you do one of your 15 thoughts after the draft. It would be interesting with all the picks the Cards have. I'm positive on the Murray pick but just wonder how it will work with Rosen if not traded.

I certainly intend to do that, AZ. :)

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Very interesting and some good points
1.its still a huge risk
2.StagedoorJohnny for a Daddy
3.risk
4.So what-those parasites will turn on a dime when things go South
5.history says otherwise
6.we`ll just have to see won`t we.
7.i disagree.If everything was working together why did the Cards also contact Bosa and Q.Williams yesterday before the draft?
8.oK
9.OK
10.Rosen was lied to IMHO.
11.Diva
12. OK
13. bad omen?
14.Just TV posing IMO.
15.Always a Cards fan.Don`t have to love the player.

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
7.i disagree.If everything was working together why did the Cards also contact Bosa and Q.Williams yesterday before the draft?

I don't know, but maybe because the league asked them too, or maybe to try to drive up trade value, or maybe because all three were on the same page about drafting one of the three, and all decision makers then decided on Murray.

No doubt. :)

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice post Ghangi. After a night of sleep I woke up feeling better. I think most people that are/were bummed about is not getting something for Rosen.

I believe keim fielded offers for Rosen and determined he wasn’t getting the proper value. I also kept hearing from a lot of posters if we give away Rosen for anything else than a #1 we would be stupid.

I also keep hearing “ We gave up a 1, 3 , and a 5 for Rosen. No we didn’t. We SWAPPED #1 so in essence we gave up a 3 and a 5. So if we get a 3 and a 5 in return I will consider it a wash and the insurance policy of Rosen as a back- up OR we may still deal Rosen today or next year.

Most of us overvalued Rosen. Had keim traded Rosen a month ago for a 2 and a 4 we would have roasted him. The 31 other teams have set Rosen’s value. Now it comes down to this. As fans Can we deal with Rosen as our backup and is he worth more in cap savings this year? The millions saved by keeping him will allow us to perhaps sign another quality free agent.

And yes, I saw an interview with Kirk a while back . He does know Kyler and even back then seemed excited about the thought of him joining the team.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Nice post Ghangi. After a night of sleep I woke up feeling better. I think most people that are/were bummed about is not getting something for Rosen.

I believe keim fielded offers for Rosen and determined he wasn’t getting the proper value. I also kept hearing from a lot of posters if we give away Rosen for anything else than a #1 we would be stupid.

I also keep hearing “ We gave up a 1, 3 , and a 5 for Rosen. No we didn’t. We SWAPPED #1 so in essence we gave up a 3 and a 5. So if we get a 3 and a 5 in return I will consider it a wash and the insurance policy of Rosen as a back- up OR we may still deal Rosen today or next year.

Most of us overvalued Rosen. Had keim traded Rosen a month ago for a 2 and a 4 we would have roasted him. The 31 other teams have set Rosen’s value. Now it comes down to this. As fans Can we deal with Rosen as our backup and is he worth more in cap savings this year? The millions saved by keeping him will allow us to perhaps sign another quality free agent.

And yes, I saw an interview with Kirk a while back . He does know Kyler and even back then seemed excited about the thought of him joining the team.

Good analysis! I wasn't on board with the Kyler Murray selection but it is what it is. Have to hope he works his tail off and can absorb NFL hits, read NFL defenses, stay healthy and be as dynamic in the pros as he was in high school and college.

One thing is certain to me. If this team doesn't make significant progress this season (7-9 wins) and if it doesn't make the playoffs next season, the selection of Murray will have been a mistake.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So you consider it a wash if we trade Rosen for a 3 and a 5 this year. Then where is our first rounder from last year??

OP
OP
Gandhi

Gandhi

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

I think the idea is that they actually used that pick on Rosen, so if they let him go, then they will have spend a 1st, 3rd and 5th on nothing. At least that’s my stance. Having said that, I certainly understand your view that maybe it’s best to just take the loss and move on.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the idea is that they actually used that pick on Rosen, so if they let him go, then they will have spend a 1st, 3rd and 5th on nothing. At least that’s my stance. Having said that, I certainly understand your view that maybe it’s best to just take the loss and move on.
It’s kind of like getting engaged. A year later things aren’t going so well. You start to consider maybe it was a mistake. Do you keep going as things continue to go sideways? Or do you recognize your mistake and move on? We’ve moved on.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It’s kind of like getting engaged. A year later things aren’t going so well. You start to consider maybe it was a mistake. Do you keep going as things continue to go sideways? Or do you recognize your mistake and move on? We’ve moved on.

My take is probably less popular but your engaged but then find your true soul mate at work and even though things are good in your current relationship you simply know they will be awesome in the new one.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
My take is probably less popular but your engaged but then find your true soul mate at work and even though things are good in your current relationship you simply know they will be awesome in the new one.

You end up in a very sticky situation .No matter what happens somebody is going to hate your guts.

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I personally didn’t want us to pick KM, I wanted Q. But now we have him I want to get excited about it but don’t feel I can until we offload Rosen. Feel so bad for the guy.

It’s like living with an ex. You need to cut ties before you move on.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You end up in a very sticky situation .No matter what happens somebody is going to hate your guts.

Yep but a lifetime of men or true love is always worth it. Plus the one that hates you now will get over it and hopefully finds their soul mate.

BurqueCardFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Or you got engaged to a good one but you go to the strip club for your bachelor party. See some hot ass stripper that can work the main stage like no one you have ever seen before. You dump your fiancé thinking this shiny new toy is going to solve all your problems. She ends up bleeding you for all your money and you end up with nothing, back to square one.