Salary cap and dead money

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Cut Humphries and Gresham. That could free up $12 million more.

1. You are unlikely to find a better LT than Hump at his cap number.

2. You only save 2.5 million cutting Gresham. Horrible contract, but expect to see one more year of Gresham. It would be hard to find a better TE for 2.5 million.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

2. You only save 2.5 million cutting Gresham. Horrible contract, but expect to see one more year of Gresham. It would be hard to find a better TE for 2.5 million.

1. True. But you will based on salary per game played.

2. Disagree. You can replace Gresham easily in the draft. Gresham sucks and is good for boneheaded plays at any time.
George Kittle was drafted in 5th rd and getting paid 500-600k.

This is a deep draft for TE. Isaac Nauta would be my pick for mid-round but there are plenty of guys.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
1. True. But you will based on salary per game played.

2. Disagree. You can replace Gresham easily in the draft. Gresham sucks and is good for boneheaded plays at any time.
George Kittle was drafted in 5th rd and getting paid 500-600k.

This is a deep draft for TE. Isaac Nauta would be my pick for mid-round but there are plenty of guys.

1. Ok. Who do you replace him with? He is the best offensive lineman on the roster. It's easy to point out how many games he's missed, but much harder to find someone as good as him. And anyone as good as him with a better track record of staying healthy will cost 5 million more.

2. No issues drafting a guy, but are you going to rely on a rookie to play a lot of snaps? Gresham is a competent player for the most part. The chances of finding a rookie as good as him are slim. Pay him one more year and then cut him loose. (And draft a young guy)

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
What the fork (any The Good Place fans?) does Gresham do well...what can't be replaced?

He is the 66th ranked TE by PFF. That means he is the worst 2nd string TE in the NFL.

People say he is a good blocker but he is average at best.
He is average to below average in the passing game (which is why RSJ gets more looks). RSJ is ranked #63 by PFF.
He costs the team with boneheaded plays.

Gresham is easily replaced and so is RSJ for that matter.

DJ Humphries is the 40th best T (there are 64 starters). He is going to get paid ~10m in 2019. He has missed 18 games/32 in the last 2 seasons and ended this year on IR again.

No matter what happens this year, is this the guy you are going to give elite LT money to in 2020? Nope.

That 10m could get spent on upgrading another position (CJ Mosley or DJ Humphries)?

Again, its about the analytics. Mediocre talent, significant injury history, scheme change/air raid makes it a bit easier to find someone else, and replaceable in the draft.

We are sitting at a solid spot to grab a T at #33 (<2m/year).

You also have Korey Cunningham who could be compared to a young Trent Brown. I would trust him in a traditional offense at LT in 2019 but maybe in air raid.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What the fork (any The Good Place fans?) does Gresham do well...what can't be replaced?

He is the 66th ranked TE by PFF. That means he is the worst 2nd string TE in the NFL.

People say he is a good blocker but he is average at best.
He is average to below average in the passing game (which is why RSJ gets more looks). RSJ is ranked #63 by PFF.
He costs the team with boneheaded plays.

Gresham is easily replaced and so is RSJ for that matter.

DJ Humphries is the 40th best T (there are 64 starters). He is going to get paid ~10m in 2019. He has missed 18 games/32 in the last 2 seasons and ended this year on IR again.

No matter what happens this year, is this the guy you are going to give elite LT money to in 2020? Nope.

That 10m could get spent on upgrading another position (CJ Mosley or DJ Humphries)?

Again, its about the analytics. Mediocre talent, significant injury history, scheme change/air raid makes it a bit easier to find someone else, and replaceable in the draft.

We are sitting at a solid spot to grab a T at #33 (<2m/year).

You also have Korey Cunningham who could be compared to a young Trent Brown. I would trust him in a traditional offense at LT in 2019 but maybe in air raid.

Sorry - but $9.6M is not outrageous for a starting LT. His availability has certainly been an issue but his basic skills are solid. I'll take the bird in hand at this point and I'm not prepared to simply trust a raw Cunningham; let him season for a season. It's obvious that the Cards are not walking away from Humphries 2019.

I noted today, that Bobbie Massie signed a 4-year extension with the Bears. He's a cautionary tale on giving up or refusing to pay a player with solid skills when the time comes. Humphries would be out of work for a nanosecond if we cut ties.

I'd like to see if the Gresham contract can be revisited but why take a "dead money" hit until you have too? His future will play itself out at camp.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Sorry - but $9.6M is not outrageous for a starting LT. His availability has certainly been an issue but his basic skills are solid. I'll take the bird in hand at this point and I'm not prepared to simply trust a raw Cunningham; let him season for a season. It's obvious that the Cards are not walking away from Humphries 2019.

I noted today, that Bobbie Massie signed a 4-year extension with the Bears. He's a cautionary tale on giving up or refusing to pay a player with solid skills when the time comes. Humphries would be out of work for a nanosecond if we cut ties.

I'd like to see if the Gresham contract can be revisited but why take a "dead money" hit until you have too? His future will play itself out at camp.

DJ Humphries
  • We are adamantly agreeing that 9.6m is not outrageous for a starting LT.
  • His availability is the concern
  • Combined with his performance (40th best T)...he is replaceable
  • And your right, he will be signed by someone else but will he be the next Bobby Massie or Jonathon Cooper?
Gresham
  • Why take a dead money hit on any player?
  • Gresham sucks and that is not going to change.
  • You can replace him with a rookie, get the same or better production, more upside, and save over 2m.
Bobby Massie
  • Cautionary tale? LOL
  • Good for him
  • He is no world beater either but its good continuity for their OL
  • He will probably make about 8m/year or have a much bigger salary in year 4 (when they can cut him)
  • Again, you can get Bobby Massie production at #33 in the draft this year for <2m/year

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
DJ Humphries
  • We are adamantly agreeing that 9.6m is not outrageous for a starting LT.
  • His availability is the concern
  • Combined with his performance (40th best T)...he is replaceable
  • And your right, he will be signed by someone else but will he be the next Bobby Massie or Jonathon Cooper?
Gresham
  • Why take a dead money hit on any player?
  • Gresham sucks and that is not going to change.
  • You can replace him with a rookie, get the same or better production, more upside, and save over 2m.
Bobby Massie
  • Cautionary tale? LOL
  • Good for him
  • He is no world beater either but its good continuity for their OL
  • He will probably make about 8m/year or have a much bigger salary in year 4 (when they can cut him)
  • Again, you can get Bobby Massie production at #33 in the draft this year for <2m/year

As said, I'll take the bird in hand over some unnamed player that supposedly can easily replace Humphries. And, while I have no love for Gresham, I'll keep him around until there is someone with a name who is better.

P.S. Bobbie Massie would have been good continuity for OUR line and if he can be replaced for $2m in this year's draft one has to wonder what you see that they don't.

May I add, that if Massie talent is available for $2m, put me down for two.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I say keep Humphries for 2019 and draft his potential replacement or sign a FA to compete with him. After training camp see which one is working out for the best and if Humphries is odd man out trade him. There will be some team willing to take him at that point. There is always an injury that a team has that is unexpected and with a little luck LT is one of them. The last thing the team should do is start training camp without anyone pushing Humphries for the starting position.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
You have to keep Humphries this year, it’s a one year deal, the team will have to spend money anyway on what is a fairly weak FA group.

Cut Gresham though, dead money be damned, he was not productive last year and his penalties at the worst time possible are getting old.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score

According to OTC we would save 4.75 million cutting Gresham, his cap # is 8.25 million and dead money 3.5 million. You definitely can get his production replaced for what the team would save.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say keep Humphries for 2019 and draft his potential replacement or sign a FA to compete with him. After training camp see which one is working out for the best and if Humphries is odd man out trade him. There will be some team willing to take him at that point. There is always an injury that a team has that is unexpected and with a little luck LT is one of them. The last thing the team should do is start training camp without anyone pushing Humphries for the starting position.

Doubt, you'll find a trade partner who'd have to pick up a $9.6m contract for a player you're about to cut.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Doubt, you'll find a trade partner who'd have to pick up a $9.6m contract for a player you're about to cut.

But wait...we agreed 9.6m is a bargain for LT's and people would be lined up to sign him. :)

We traded Veldheer with 6.5m/year contract as a RT.

You might be able to get a 3rd rd pick for DJ but I would prefer trading for a player (WR or LB).

You may also get a 3rd rd comp pick in next years draft if you hold him.

We got a 6th rd pick for 30 year old RT Veldheer who also had a history of injuries.

The biggest issues for anyone keeping or trading for DJ...significant injury history and mediocre talent.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But wait...we agreed 9.6m is a bargain for LT's and people would be lined up to sign him. :)

We traded Veldheer with 6.5m/year contract as a RT.

You might be able to get a 3rd rd pick for DJ but I would prefer trading for a player (WR or LB).

You may also get a 3rd rd comp pick in next years draft if you hold him.

We got a 6th rd pick for 30 year old RT Veldheer who also had a history of injuries.

The biggest issues for anyone keeping or trading for DJ...significant injury history and mediocre talent.

No. I said, if cut, he'd be out of work a nanosecond.

P.S - I don't know many close observers who give the credence you do to PFF ratings on O-linemen.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
As said, I'll take the bird in hand over some unnamed player that supposedly can easily replace Humphries. And, while I have no love for Gresham, I'll keep him around until there is someone with a name who is better.

P.S. Bobbie Massie would have been good continuity for OUR line and if he can be replaced for $2m in this year's draft one has to wonder what you see that they don't.

May I add, that if Massie talent is available for $2m, put me down for two.

The bird in the hand always has a broken wing and is costing you 10m.

Massie was a 4th rd pick.
DJ Humphries was pick #23 (we have #33).
Browns picked up a starting OL with #33 last year (Ryan Corbett)

Ryan Ramczyk (Saints) was drafted #32 in 2017. #8 T in the NFL (PFF). Salary $465k in 2017 and 869k in 2018. 1.2m in 2019 and 1.6 in 2020.

Donovon Smith - people want us to sign this guy as a FA. He was drafted in 2015 with the 35th pick. #46 T (PFF) - about the same as DJ. Got paid 3.2m salary and another 3m in bonus money (6m total). 1.5m/year. He started every game since being drafted.

All that I am saying is we have to make good choices. We can't overpay for mediocre talent.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The bird in the hand always has a broken wing and is costing you 10m.

Massie was a 4th rd pick.
DJ Humphries was pick #23 (we have #33).
Browns picked up a starting OL with #33 last year (Ryan Corbett)

Ryan Ramczyk (Saints) was drafted #32 in 2017. #8 T in the NFL (PFF). Salary $465k in 2017 and 869k in 2018. 1.2m in 2019 and 1.6 in 2020.

Donovon Smith - people want us to sign this guy as a FA. He was drafted in 2015 with the 35th pick. #46 T (PFF) - about the same as DJ. Got paid 3.2m salary and another 3m in bonus money (6m total). 1.5m/year. He started every game since being drafted.

All that I am saying is we have to make good choices. We can't overpay for mediocre talent.

I'd suggest, mediocre results, largely due to availability, not talent.

If talent was the issue, I doubt they'd have picked up the 5th year.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If the coaches think he'll play 12 more games, then I agree. But if he only play 3-4 games, then you are going to have an UDF playing for most of the season, so why not cut him and signed someone for less money who will be at least serviceable and also draft a potential LT of the future and still save money. The production will be a gain.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If the coaches think he'll play 12 more games, then I agree. But if he only play 3-4 games, then you are going to have an UDF playing for most of the season, so why not cut him and signed someone for less money who will be at least serviceable and also draft a potential LT of the future and still save money. The production will be a gain.

???

Not knowing how many games he'll play or, for that matter, anyone else, you can't logically reach that conclusion.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
???

Not knowing how many games he'll play or, for that matter, anyone else, you can't logically reach that conclusion.

Then you cut him! ;) He's not dependable enough more such an important position on offense. I like the guy and think he is a decent enough LT when on the field. He just can't stay healthy and we need stability in this crucial year for Rosen. I'd even over pay for a LT who will play all 16 games.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Then you cut him! ;) He's not dependable enough more such an important position on offense. I like the guy and think he is a decent enough LT when on the field. He just can't stay healthy and we need stability in this crucial year for Rosen. I'd even over pay for a LT who will play all 16 games.

Again, you can't guarantee health or injury for anyone.

If he suffered from something chronic, they wouldn't have picked up his 5th year.

If he makes it to game one healthy, he has the same chance as anyone else of playing 16.

OP
OP
cardpa

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I tend to disagree, if he is cut there is no guarantee the team who may be targeting him is going to get him since he would be a free agent to sign with any team. It would depend on if a team is in dire need of a LT and doesn't want to take a chance on not being able to obtain him.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson