The state of the roster

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
While Keim is making the big moves for the 2015 All Stars I have some concerns about some position groups and the depth we have. I feel like we are being distracted by big names and splashy moves while he neglects large sections of the roster.

OL (likely 9)

Hump - Pugh - Hudson - Jones? - Beechum
Murray - Cole - Gaillard - Miles/Gilbert

Sorted here

DL (likely 9)

Golden - Watt - Fotu - Philips - Jones
Gardeck - Lawrence - Allen - Fitts

I'm not a Fitts fan. I'd really like to see an upgrade there. They picked up 2019 4th round pick Shareef Miller. Interested to see if he can break through.

ILB

Hicks, Simmons
Vallejo, Turner, Weaver

Not a great room depth wise. I'd like to see a vet rotation piece here. Campbell is unsigned. Maybe he comes back on a vet min deal later.

Safety

Baker, Thompson, Thompson

That's it. Banjo and Washington are FA and unsigned. Need at least 1 if not 2 depth safeties.

Cornerback

Murphy, Alford, Whitaker

That's it. They are the only roster worthy CB's if you stretch the definition a bit. At best, if Alford is a miracle we need a starter and a good quality backup. More likely need 2 starters and a depth piece.

Wide Receiver

Hopkins, Green, Kirk, Isabella, Johnson, JoJo Ward

I was going to say they are set at WR but only if you think JoJo Ward can be the 6th guy. May add a WR that's a PR/KR or Sherfield comes back on vet min. Weird not seeing Larry here. I also like Marquise Goodwin as a vet addition. He can KR/PR too and would cost vet min.

Tight End

Maxx Williams

That's it. Arnold is UFA and unsigned. Daniels is UFA. We have 1 TE. Need 2 more.

Running Back

Edmonds, Benjamin, Ward

I like Edmonds but considering the Cards seem to be all in I'd be surprised if they trust him to be a bell cow. At least 1 starter/split load RB needed and probably depth too.

Quarterback

Murray

Streveler can't be QB2. We all saw how that worked out.

Needs

1 x Depth OLB
1 x Depth ILB
2 x Depth Safeties
2 x Starting CBs
1 x Depth CB
1 x PR/KR
1 x Starting TE
1 x Depth TE
1 x Starter/split load RB
1 x Depth RB
1 x QB2

That's 13 players we arguably need. 12 if you settle for Fitts at OLB. 11 if you role with whatever in house garbage we have at KR/PR. 10 if you role with Ward at RB4.

I can't see anything less than 10. We have 3 draft picks you would expect to stick on the roster (1,2,5). Let's say Keim turns them into 4.

That's still a minimum of 6 FA signings required. We have $6m left in cap space but that doesn't include Alford, Prater or AJ Green so we are more like $4m over the cap currently. Although I've cut Kennard above and that gets $6m back.

There are several players we can extend/restructure to free up cash and kick the can down the road again. Jones, Pugh, Hump, Philips, Nuk, Hudson so I'm not too concerned about cap space.

But still a bunch of holes to fill in FA. Especially at CB, RB, QB2 and TE.

Possible solutions

Running backs are going for peanuts. Even Drake might be a possible resign at sub $5m. There's no market. Other options are Coleman, Gurley, Duke Johnson, Mike Davis, Breida.

As we are signing players that used to be elite look for a Todd Gurley signing :)

The cornerbacks market isn't as bad as I thought it was. Still some talent out there and possibly helped price wise by P2's $10m deal to the Vikings. AJ Bouye, Casey Hayward, Adoree Jackson, Xavier Rhodes, Quinton Dunbar, Bashaud Breeland all have talent.

The most Keimy picks would be Hayward, Bouye or Rhodes.

At TE there's not much here outside Jared Cook, Kyle Rudolph, Jesse James, Kroft and Eifert.

Jared Cook still has juice. Had 500 yards last year but was getting paid $7.5m per at the Saints. Might be too rich for us but would be a very Keimy pickup.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I agree with almost all of these takes besides any of those CBs being an answer, but just wanted to point out we don't have a 4th rounder, we have a 5th. From the draft, I'd only even begin to expect any contributions from two players in our draft class.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I agree with almost all of these takes besides any of those CBs being an answer, but just wanted to point out we don't have a 4th rounder, we have a 5th. From the draft, I'd only even begin to expect any contributions from two players in our draft class.
Not an answer but the only answer possible

Minski

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I would package up our 5th rnd and 2x 7th rnd picks this year along with a 3rd next year for Gillmore or someone, maybe change the one next year to a 2nd for Lattimore. Then with our 1st pick up best value TE, WR, CB then 2nd rounder get the best RB

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Changed it. I did know that, just a brain fart :)

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would package up our 5th rnd and 2x 7th rnd picks this year along with a 3rd next year for Gillmore or someone, maybe change the one next year to a 2nd for Lattimore. Then with our 1st pick up best value TE, WR, CB then 2nd rounder get the best RB

Lattimore sucks

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Good work and thank you.

Caveat: I don't think Kennard is off the board, yet. The strong side OLB tandem until further notice is Golden/Kennard. They can't trust the backup role to an undersized Gardeck coming off an ACL. I'd use Kennard on both sides (he took snaps at both OLB slots last season) and possibly move Fitts to the P.S.

Personal bugaboo: No one who reaches an NFL camp is "garbage" in either real or relative use of the term.

Salut.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Lattimore sucks

This ^

Lattimore is the perfect example of "Why do garbage players get voted to the Pro Bowl".

Lattimore had one great year in his rookie season. One good year the year after. Garbage since. He's gotten worse every year and some fans still think he's a top 5 CB.

And he has no excuses, he's got worse in the same scheme with the same DB coaches and same DC.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good work and thank you.

Caveat: I don't think Kennard is off the board, yet. The strong side OLB tandem until further notice is Golden/Kennard. They can't trust the backup role to an undersized Gardeck coming off an ACL. I'd use Kennard on both sides (he took snaps at both OLB slots last season) and possibly move Fitts to the P.S.

Personal bugaboo: No one who reaches an NFL camp is "garbage" in either real or relative use of the term.

Salut.

I don't think he is off the board for sure either. I debated it. I can see him being better with Watt inside and Kennard playing contain. Then we could rotate CJ out some times and have Golden at Bang.

But considering the holes we have and the cap situation that tipped the balance. I think at this point the $6m they can get back with a post June 1st designation is probably worth more to them.

For $6m in the current market they could probably cut Kennard, replace him with a vet FA and have money left over for a RB. Someone like Kyler Fackrell, Jeremiah Attaochu, Brennan Scarlett, Tarell Basham and Kamalei Correa could all do the job we would ask Kennard to do for vet min money (or not far off).

Ryan Kerrigan is FA. How Keimy would that be? Maybe he's working on a de-aging machine?

Brennan Scarlett has lined up next to Watt so and plays in a similar scheme so would probably be the smart move.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I put my mind to some of the holes

1 x Depth OLB - Brennan Scarlett in / Fitts out - No cap change
1 x Depth ILB - Devondre Campbell - 1 year for $2m (LJ Fort another option)
2 x Depth Safeties - Resign Washington and Banjo - $2m between them
2 x Starting CBs - Xavier Rhodes - 2 years $5m per, AJ Bouye 2 years - $6m per. Offset with total cap hit this year of $8m.
1 x Depth CB - Draft
1 x PR/KR - Marquise Goodwin - 1 year $910k
1 x Starting TE - Tyler Eifert - 1 year $2.5m
1 x Depth TE - Draft
1 x Starter/split load RB - Tevin Coleman - 1 year - $2.5m
1 x Depth RB - Roll with Ward
1 x QB2 - RGIII - $1.5m - Streveler out - $750k net spend.

Draft - CB #1, TE #2

That's about $18.5m total spend. Plus rookie draft pool (around $4m).

Other cap savings I don't think are total locks.

Maxx Williams saves $3m with post June 1st cut.
Mason Cole saves $2m with post June 1st cut.
Justin Murray saves nearly $2m
Marcus Gilbert saves a mil

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always liked adoree Jackson, the player not the ego. He fills 2 roles he's a starter level CB, not a pro bowler but starter level. And he can return punts. You probably don't want a starting CB as your primary PR but he can return them.

The knock on Adoree has been lack of INT's, 2 in his career, which is odd because he had 5 in his last college year and people thought they were getting a ball hawk.

The other knock is apparently the Titans felt he didn't work hard to come back from a knee injury. So you have a very athletic young guy who if healthy will be highly motivated.

But you have to wonder, guys like him rarely get released at 25 years old

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give me Xavier Rhodes and Bashaud Breeland. Those two might actually be an upgrade from last year's starters.
Eh I’m good on Rhodes.

I know he had a bounce back season, but I think that was cause of scheme(Indy playing a lot of zone). I don’t think Vance will do that here.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Brit, great job. But I hope you were kidding when you expressed concern over our sixth WR.

It wasn't so much concern. Just that they like to keep 6 and you want that 6th guy to be a big ST contributor. I'm not sure if we have that guy on the roster currently. Ward didn't play ST's barely at all in college so I don't think it's him.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Eh I’m good on Rhodes.

I know he had a bounce back season, but I think that was cause of scheme(Indy playing a lot of zone). I don’t think Vance will do that here.

Cards ran 46.3% man coverage and Colts ran 42.6%. Not much difference.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
OTC has Cardinal cap space after yesterday's moves at $3.4mm

the Cards would immediately convert salary to bonus for: DHop, Budda and DJ Hump and push $15mm of 21 cap charges into the future

further, releasing Marcus Gilbert would save $925k immediately.

that would give them up to $19.3 in cap space

this is more than enough to get an NFL average starting corner, which would represent a significant upgrade over P2.

fill in with RB, Dan Arnold at TE, etc with room to spare

further: i would look to add KJ Wright on a 2 year, $10mm deal and release Jordan Hicks. This could take a net $1mm in cap space (and likely neutral).

finally, make Devon Kennard a post-June 1 release, saving $6.7mm in cap space to provide a rookie pool and cushion going into the regular season

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
.....That’s quite a huge difference in football terms.

Not really. Cards were 8th most in man. Colts were 10th. 22 teams played more zone than the Colt's.

Could be scheme though. Card's play mostly Cover 1 I think? Colts play Cover 3.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Eh I’m good on Rhodes.

Pure speculation on my part but I think Vance is more comfortable playing zone that he has shown. I believe he has played man because that is all that worked with Peterson.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Not really. Cards were 8th most in man. Colts were 10th. 22 teams played more zone than the Colt's.

Could be scheme though. Card's play mostly Cover 1 I think? Colts play Cover 3.
Colts ran Cover 2.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Cards are in an option window for Budda's 2024 contract they will surely take.

I believe the option converts some of this year's salary to a bonus and saves about $6m cap space.