The state of the roster

Waysouth

Veteran
Reaction score
It wasn't so much concern. Just that they like to keep 6 and you want that 6th guy to be a big ST contributor. I'm not sure if we have that guy on the roster currently. Ward didn't play ST's barely at all in college so I don't think it's him.
Two 7th round picks can fill the 6th WR spot and special teams. Maybe a Dax Milne type could do both.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Two 7th round picks can fill the 6th WR spot and special teams. Maybe a Dax Milne type could do both.

Maybe, but I don't want to bank anything on them sticking. In fact the only 2 ever stuck under Keim are on the roster now. Eno and Miles. And in a combined 3 seasons they have played about 3 snaps.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Options still open to us that I think would be a good fit

Running back

Mike Davis
Tevin Coleman
Jeff Wilson
Lev Bell (We have his Steelers RB coach on staff and as we are assembling the 2015 Avengers he fits)
Duke Johnson
Wayne Gallman
Todd Gurley

Cornerback

Kyle Fuller
Adoree Jackson
Xavier Rhodes
Casey Hayward
Quinton Dunbar
Richard Sherman
AJ Bouye
Baushad Breeland

Tight End

Trey Burton
Tyler Eifert
Jesse james
Darren Fells

OLB (Still think we can do better and can't rely on Gardeck being back)

Kyler Fackrell
Ryan Kerrigan
Jeremiah Attaochu
Tarell Basham
Kamalei Correa

To be honest at CB and running back there are more guys available that probably required at the moment. I think Keim is waiting to shop in the bargain bins.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
from a cap perspective, depending who who you believe (Sportrac or OvertheCap) -- the Cards have between $2mm - $625k or so

they have a few levers that are within their control to pull:

cut Gilbert for $925k in space
cut Kennard $4.2mm
convert salary to bonus on DHop, Budda, DJ Hump and J Phillips can provide up to $20mm

this is plenty of space to finish building the roster

then:

with the first two picks -- they need some combo of an offensive weapon (TE, WR, RB) and a CB

maybe the Cards get lucky and one of the top offensive guys falls to them. Warren Sharpe's latest mock had Waddle falling to them.

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
We have soooo many holes on the roster still. Corner, RB, TE, etc. Almost no cap space left, and half our draft traded away. Keim's awful drafting has driven this team into the ground, and now he's resorted to signing players with one foot in retirement to 1 year deals to get by. This is ugly.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
CB is the main group I’m worried about. Badly.

RBs & TEs? Eh, holes, but the value of those positions doesn’t stack up to CB at all.

But yea, CB MUST be taken care of.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Greg Newsome will be our pick at #16. I also think his game is more friendly for this era than it is for a Jaycee Horn or Patrick Surtain.

juza76

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Greg Newsome will be our pick at #16. I also think his game is more friendly for this era than it is for a Jaycee Horn or Patrick Surtain.

I hope we trade down, getting a third and fourth

If there is a chance to get a good lineman i would take it, then in the second we can get Asante Samuel Jr, stokes, melifowu
3 th receiver
4th pass rusher, guy from Tulane is an option

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I hope we trade down, getting a third and fourth

If there is a chance to get a good lineman i would take it, then in the second we can get Asante Samuel Jr, stokes, melifowu
I really don’t trust Keim with more picks.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
We have soooo many holes on the roster still. Corner, RB, TE, etc. Almost no cap space left, and half our draft traded away. Keim's awful drafting has driven this team into the ground, and now he's resorted to signing players with one foot in retirement to 1 year deals to get by. This is ugly.

1. You may not like the available talent on this roster but we in fact have one 'starting' hole to fill - cornerback.

2. Creating cap space is not difficult and with the projected rise in years to come we can easily avoid Hell.

3. Players can play or they can't, age is not the relevant factor.

4. FA is mere days old and we have the draft.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
from a cap perspective, depending who who you believe (Sportrac or OvertheCap) -- the Cards have between $2mm - $625k or so

they have a few levers that are within their control to pull:

cut Gilbert for $925k in space
cut Kennard $4.2mm
convert salary to bonus on DHop, Budda, DJ Hump and J Phillips can provide up to $20mm

this is plenty of space to finish building the roster

then:

with the first two picks -- they need some combo of an offensive weapon (TE, WR, RB) and a CB

maybe the Cards get lucky and one of the top offensive guys falls to them. Warren Sharpe's latest mock had Waddle falling to them.

Hopkins cap hit is very manageable this year. Next season and beyond it blows up so if they push salary any further down the road he’ll be having QB cap hits.

Budda just signed and is manageable.

I’d hold off on cutting Kennard. He’s paid too much but we need depth.

I can see extending CJ as an option.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
1. You may not like the available talent on this roster but we in fact have one 'starting' hole to fill - cornerback.
Two. Two starting CBs.

And really, we need a starting RB.

2. Creating cap space is not difficult and with the projected rise in years to come we can easily avoid Hell.
Not when we only have 33 players under contract for next year, Kyler to pay, the increasing contract of DHop..

4. FA is mere days old and we have the draft.
We're nearly out of money and we have two picks that matter.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Options still open to us that I think would be a good fit

Running back

Mike Davis
Tevin Coleman
Jeff Wilson
Lev Bell (We have his Steelers RB coach on staff and as we are assembling the 2015 Avengers he fits)
Duke Johnson
Wayne Gallman
Todd Gurley

Cornerback

Kyle Fuller
Adoree Jackson
Xavier Rhodes
Casey Hayward
Quinton Dunbar
Richard Sherman
AJ Bouye
Baushad Breeland

Tight End

Trey Burton
Tyler Eifert
Jesse james
Darren Fells

OLB (Still think we can do better and can't rely on Gardeck being back)

Kyler Fackrell
Ryan Kerrigan
Jeremiah Attaochu
Tarell Basham
Kamalei Correa

To be honest at CB and running back there are more guys available that probably required at the moment. I think Keim is waiting to shop in the bargain bins.

Davis produced when McCaffery was out and should provide a nice complement to Edmunds

Fuller is going to be expensive. Hayward would certainly be better than anything we have now.

James can produce as evidenced from his Steeler days.

Basham has shown he can produce when given a chance. He may be ready to blossom.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Two. Two starting CBs.

And really, we need a starting RB.

Not when we only have 33 players under contract for next year, Kyler to pay, the increasing contract of DHop..

We're nearly out of money and we have two picks that matter.

As said, you can have your misgivings but this period of acquiring talent isn't over; cap space can be created and a 25% roster turnover is more the norm than exception.

As for next year: the total number of under contract will include this year's draft class and perhaps other signings and we'll have the next FA period with more cap space than this year and a draft.

Perhaps Mr. Deflated will inflate at some point. :)

Last edited:

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I say he can finally have a nice draft in ten years? Or he can just make bad picks overall?
Adding journeymen to fill the roster is not a solution
He’ll just make more bad picks overall.

Proximo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Cards have 3 easy moves to make cap space - #1 renegotiate chandler's deal. #2 cut Kenard - I would have done this along time ago, because I think he's worthless, #3 cut pugh and either resign or sign a cheap replacement.