The Official US Soccer thread

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Except I am. You've gone there in the past, deriding the idea that the Americans have ever had any world class players, even when the fine American goalkeeping tradition has been mentioned. I mean, you're not as bad as some--I'm whiffing on screen names--but you've gone there.

Yep. You got to it before I did, DCR :)
Then you're really mixing me up with somebody. I've never 'gone there' in the past at all. Like, not even remotely. I'd love you to find me some examples but I think you'll struggle as they don't exist.

You are basing all your replies on some incorrect belief I don't love or rate the US soccer team/players.

You haven't debated what counts as world class nor attempted to back up any reasons why some US players have been so. Are you saying that Keller and Howard were in the top few keepers in the world? Does anyone else qualify?

Last edited:

Milgod

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My main point being (besides having to defend myself for being accused of something I'm not) is that people have varying definitions of what counts as world class. I'd like to hear your thoughts (as well as anyone else's) on that discussion.

Last edited:

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow - just checked scores. If this keeps up, Costa Rica and Mexico could lay down and eliminate the US

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow - just checked scores. If this keeps up, Costa Rica and Mexico could lay down and eliminate the US

And they are doing exactly just that. Honduras has scored two quick goals to go ahead of Mexico.

Panama has tied it up with Costa Rica

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Relax...we have connections with the Russians. ;)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
You can't get a freaking tie against T&T? AGAINST TRINIDAD AND freaking TOBAGO??? You don't freaking DESERVE to play. You don't freaking DESERVE it!!!

You know what? Besides being ashamed of being a U.S. Soccer supporter, I'm freaking GLAD we failed to qualify. I'm freaking GLAD! Bradley, Howard, if you open your stupid fat mouths one more time about your 'doubters', I will personally fly to wherever you are in the world and shitstomp you! Jesus freaking Christ, you are a pathetic team, and I am freaking ashamed of you!

Everyone goes. Today, tonight. There's no waiting for tomorrow, and there's no survivors. The entire coaching staff, the entire developmental staff, everyone. Bradley gets stripped of the captaincy. Guzan and Howard? Gone. You're retiring or retired--your call. Gulati should resign out of shame. .

We need overhauled from top to bottom. And guess what? We have plenty of freaking time to do it.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am at a loss for words right now. Hopefully this means that we can have now finally have true soccer academies that actually teach our youth how to play soccer.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some thoughts/opinions:

1. I firmly believe that the US would still be in the WC with Jurgen. Losing at home to Mexico on a last second goal and on the road to Costa Rica while a bad start, isn't earth shattering. Losing to Costa Rica at home and T&T away is many multitudes worse.
2. Arena and Sunati both will be fired in one weeks time. If Sunati isn't fired, he definitely won't win re-election.
3. Howard and Guzan will both retire. Dempsey will retire once he breaks Donovan's record.
4. It is beyond sad that the best player the US has ever produced will not be able to be a part of the World Cup.
5. I'm not even sure if I will even watch the WC now.

Game:
1. Tim Howard is a shell of his former self. The Timmy of old would have saved both of those hits. The own goal he had time to move his feet and get better positioning under the ball. Instead he dove, missed and it goes in. The second goal he didn't move either. That was an insane goal, but no keeper should be beat from that far. Throw in the fact that he almost let a 3rd in when the ball bounced and barely hit is arm and it was a disaster for him in goal today.

2. Starting the exact same 11 with only 4 days rest is beyond silly. I know they wanted to 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it,' but they broke it by not tuning it up. It was clear most of the players were tired.

3. Arriola was dreadful. The entire front line lost the ball a dozen times in the first half. The spacing was terrible. There was a back line and a forward line; no one was in the middle linking up play.

4. Why did Arena sub out Villafana for Acosta? That substitution was mindboggling. If anyone was getting exposed in the second half, it was Yedlin on the right hand side.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Embarrassing! I wasn't excited when Arena took over again. Thought it was a huge mistake. This is just an absolute joke.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson