The Official US Soccer thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
OMG I woke up this morning to the news. It was like a bad dream that just hit me. I was relatively sure we had it in the bag against Trinidad. I'm so glad I did not lose sleep to watch that chicken parade.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
So Embarrassing! I wasn't excited when Arena took over again. Thought it was a huge mistake. This is just an absolute joke.
I agree. Worst hire in US Soccer history for me especially in hindsight. It did not make sense based on the fact that he did a terrible job in 2006 World Cup when he ran Donovan into the ground. We can thank guys like arena and bob Bradley for overusing Donovan in unnecessary matches and camps. Looks like he was reverting back to that with pulisic.

He mettled in US Soccer during the JK era and attacked players with foreign backgrounds. He probably could have used Fabian Johnson or some of those other guys last night who were notably absent... who looks like a donkey now? This team can tie Mexico in Azteca but lose at Trinidad? They get beat twice by Costa Rica 0-6 goal differential? I'm glad they aren't in the World Cup. Now maybe a selection on the US roster will be an actual competition. Guys like Bradley Howard wondo and an old Dempsey/Beasley should not have been in every single US camp. The fact that they are shows our problem.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Some thoughts/opinions:

1. I firmly believe that the US would still be in the WC with Jurgen. Losing at home to Mexico on a last second goal and on the road to Costa Rica while a bad start, isn't earth shattering. Losing to Costa Rica at home and T&T away is many multitudes worse.
2. Arena and Sunati both will be fired in one weeks time. If Sunati isn't fired, he definitely won't win re-election.
3. Howard and Guzan will both retire. Dempsey will retire once he breaks Donovan's record.
4. It is beyond sad that the best player the US has ever produced will not be able to be a part of the World Cup.
5. I'm not even sure if I will even watch the WC now.

Game:
1. Tim Howard is a shell of his former self. The Timmy of old would have saved both of those hits. The own goal he had time to move his feet and get better positioning under the ball. Instead he dove, missed and it goes in. The second goal he didn't move either. That was an insane goal, but no keeper should be beat from that far. Throw in the fact that he almost let a 3rd in when the ball bounced and barely hit is arm and it was a disaster for him in goal today.

2. Starting the exact same 11 with only 4 days rest is beyond silly. I know they wanted to 'if it isn't broke, don't fix it,' but they broke it by not tuning it up. It was clear most of the players were tired.

3. Arriola was dreadful. The entire front line lost the ball a dozen times in the first half. The spacing was terrible. There was a back line and a forward line; no one was in the middle linking up play.

4. Why did Arena sub out Villafana for Acosta? That substitution was mindboggling. If anyone was getting exposed in the second half, it was Yedlin on the right hand side.
There was never consistency with this team. For me that's the frustration. They can play well at times and then suck horribly like that stinker against Argentina in copa America for example when they not only got their butts kicked on the score but they couldn't even connect on one pass.

Something went way wrong with JK. He lost the team in the Mexico game. I think a lot had to do with pulisic getting the keys to the lambo too quickly and other players getting Upset by it. Unfortunately by the time pulisic figured things out he had arena calling the shots. Arena overhauled the roster to a more friendly MLS selection(which is bad on all levels).

The one thing that I will say both coaches messed up is their selection process. They allow certain players to get too comfortable to the point that they aren't earning their selection. For me this is a systemic problem in US Soccer. And it is evident with Bradley and Howard. They are geezers that can't handle criticism from the media. Interestingly jk hit the nail on the head with their main issue. by using Kobe as an example of US sport culture where we pay players for what they do yesterday rather than what they do in the moment. Too bad he and arena did not follow his own advice.

But then again maybe US Soccer just sucks. Are we leaning on those old players because it is comfortable or do we just not have a backup plan due to poor development? It's probably both.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Kind of selfish if you ask me. I actually felt bad for Landon and still do a little. But I also thought that JK made an example out of him but unfortunately did not follow through with other underachievers like Bradley Howard and Dempsey. Jk klinsmann and arena both seem to pick and choose the players they are willing to just hand them a indefinite selection. This entitlement issue in US Soccer with players is exactly why they yield these results.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
So now altidore is whining because Red Bull supporters booed him and Bradley. These guys are beyond soft.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If they don't quit, I say skip over them and go with the younger guys. We need players with heart and fight in their gut, not whiny sissies who can't handle it when they choke.
Very true. Jozy in particular is lazy for me. He does not run enough and wants everything on a platter. Typical for this generation of us soccer. Hopefully pulisic and others change that.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That was an excellent game against Portugal last night. Not because of the scoreline (which should have been 2-0, btw), but because of the great showing given by the young kids. All positives, for me, except for Horvath, who should never see the field again. Absolute howler of a goal let in to gift Portugal a goal. How does he respond? An absolute howler of a clearance kick on the ground, down the middle of the pitch, right to Portugal, that should have led to a second goal.

So, no Horvath for me, but man, there were some great performances out there last night.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I still can’t watch. I need to get over it. Why is Bruce arena on fox? Fox sports may fail now. Just sayin.

It would have been nice to see some of those guys in a real match and less of the old lazy people who don’t chase the ball.

As far as the match it is nice to see young players do well. I recently read Pulisic comments on youth (16-18) saying that’s where we are lagging. Recently a Liverpool supporter told me the same thing. He said American colleges ruin our football development. It’s tough for American because Pulisic is definitely the exception. Most young americans sit on the bench in Europe.

Last edited:

Stout

Reaction score
I still can’t watch. I need to get over it. Why is Bruce arena on fox? Fox sports may fail now. Just sayin.

It would have been nice to see some of those guys in a real match and less of the old lazy people who don’t chase the ball.

As far as the match it is nice to see young players do well. I recently read Pulisic comments on youth (16-18) saying that’s where we are lagging. Recently a Liverpool supporter told me the same thing. He said American colleges ruin our football development. It’s tough for American because Pulisic is definitely the exception. Most young americans sit on the bench in Europe.

I'm definitely missing something about 17-year old soccer players and MLS, something that stunts their growth. Rostering, I think they called it? What's that about?

It was neat to watch Arena and Lallas on set, with the tension between them. They ended up very civil with one another, but you could tell it was simmering.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I'm definitely missing something about 17-year old soccer players and MLS, something that stunts their growth. Rostering, I think they called it? What's that about?

It was neat to watch Arena and Lallas on set, with the tension between them. They ended up very civil with one another, but you could tell it was simmering.
Idk much about mls. I never watch. Pulisic specifically called them out for not playing and developing younger teens like euro teams do. I don’t know much about that. But I hear Dortmund develop young talent better than most other euro clubs do. He may have a flawed view but hey who am I to say he’s wrong.

Stout

Reaction score
Idk much about mls. I never watch. Pulisic specifically called them out for not playing and developing younger teens like euro teams do. I don’t know much about that. But I hear Dortmund develop young talent better than most other euro clubs do. He may have a flawed view but hey who am I to say he’s wrong.

I looked into it a little bit, and think Pulisic is spot on. In the European academies, if you aren't in the first team or in contention for the 1st team, you get copious chances at multiple academy levels as a youth. Top-tier academy v academy games and development. Also, if you show top-shelf talent, the European teams are much more proactive in getting you into the 1st team--see Pulisic.

In the MLS, if they snag you as home-grown talent, you're screwed unless you are the ultimate prodigy. If you're not breaking into the first team, you get almost no development. Yes, they have so-called academy leagues, but many times those games get cancelled due to lack of numbers and other factors. I think, with the dinosaurs running a lot of soccer in this country, a guy like Pulisic might not even be playing in the MLS, because of stunted growth.

I don't know everything about it, by any means. Makes for an interesting topic, thought.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I looked into it a little bit, and think Pulisic is spot on. In the European academies, if you aren't in the first team or in contention for the 1st team, you get copious chances at multiple academy levels as a youth. Top-tier academy v academy games and development. Also, if you show top-shelf talent, the European teams are much more proactive in getting you into the 1st team--see Pulisic.

In the MLS, if they snag you as home-grown talent, you're screwed unless you are the ultimate prodigy. If you're not breaking into the first team, you get almost no development. Yes, they have so-called academy leagues, but many times those games get cancelled due to lack of numbers and other factors. I think, with the dinosaurs running a lot of soccer in this country, a guy like Pulisic might not even be playing in the MLS, because of stunted growth.

I don't know everything about it, by any means. Makes for an interesting topic, thought.
That is spot on. Clear to me now. scary to think that Pulisic could be on a mls bench. I really hope he comes to England. I got to see him play in person at Wembley. He would fit very well on many sides.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Omg I just saw the highlights from the friendly match. That Portugal goal lol!

Such a shame that John brooks and Geoff Cameron could not pair in our defence. Brooks was hurt and Cameron(a guy who at times is a holding player in the premier league) was a healthy scratch at Trinidad. Damn you arena!

It’s a shame a few players in their prime will be wasted for years at the international level for USA. By the time 2022 hits yedlin and brooks will be geezers. But maybe this is the only way they will change at the top....USA needs to go away from the status quo. Which means gulati needs to go!

Stout

Reaction score
Omg I just saw the highlights from the friendly match. That Portugal goal lol!

Such a shame that John brooks and Geoff Cameron could not pair in our defence. Brooks was hurt and Cameron(a guy who at times is a holding player in the premier league) was a healthy scratch at Trinidad. Damn you arena!

It’s a shame a few players in their prime will be wasted for years at the international level for USA. By the time 2022 hits yedlin and brooks will be geezers. But maybe this is the only way they will change at the top....USA needs to go away from the status quo. Which means gulati needs to go!

Nah, I think Yedlin and Brooks have two cycles in them yet.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Nah, I think Yedlin and Brooks have two cycles in them yet.
I hope so. SOmetimes I forget how young yedlin is. brooks is our best central defender and it is not close. hopefully some of these young guys will step up and take his spot as he gets older. he's not consistent all the time on the national side, but who has been? its a shame he got injured. with brooks and Cameron out of there we had no one back there who can play out of the back going forward. basic old school US Soccer at its finest. what bruce arena knows best!

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I’m glad Eric wynalda and hope solo did not get the job but I have no idea about the other candidates. I’m glad gulati is out hopefully this will end the corruption. I think they did need a fresh hire but someone with a track record of good leadership

Lorenzo

Reaction score
anyone see the USA/Irish match yesterday? I saw bits of the Bolivia one and it was sloppy. some of the young players look like they play with a lot of pace, but are not as fluid linking together.

Stout

Reaction score
anyone see the USA/Irish match yesterday? I saw bits of the Bolivia one and it was sloppy. some of the young players look like they play with a lot of pace, but are not as fluid linking together.

I didn't see the game last night, but I saw the Bolivia game. I thought the young guns showed well. Not all of them, and Pulisic was clearly exhausted, but they weren't going to be terribly fluid together; they were mostly new and hadn't had a ton of time together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson