I would rather trade for Cousins

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
We all know he can play in the NFL. (or not?) So why not give up one of our top picks for him instead of taking any of the qb draftees, who would seem to be more of a gamble. (or are they?)

Last edited:

Proteus

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We all know he can play in the NFL. (or not?) So why not give up one of our top picks for him instead of taking any of the qb draftees, who would seem to be more of a gamble. (or are they?)
One whole game and a small part of another is a very small sample. It's smaller than even Kolb had before we traded for him.

OP
OP
SissyBoyFloyd

SissyBoyFloyd

Pawnee, Skidi Clan
Reaction score
You are right about the small sampling. But still wonder if he wouldn't be rated higher than any of the others if he could re-enter the draft at this point. What do you think?

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
I would be willing to trade a 2nd and a 5th or 6th for him. Than we could move back in the first in order to get back into the 2nd round.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There are two problems with this:

1. The small sample size, which has already been mentioned.
2. Who's to say Washington is willing to trade him. There are a lot of concerns over RGIII propensity for injury, and maybe they just have no interest in trading him.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
There are two problems with this:

1. The small sample size, which has already been mentioned.
2. Who's to say Washington is willing to trade him. There are a lot of concerns over RGIII propensity for injury, and maybe they just have no interest in trading him.
I see it as a real possibility that they really don't want to trade him, but that being said every backup in the league can be had if the price is right. The question is whether or not their asking price is within the range of where we are willing to offer.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
No, hardly more than a game worth of judgement and not worth the trade headache. The more and more I think of this situation, the more I think we should just draft our own and for once know what we are doing. This chasing after other's goods has gotten mute. A NFL franchise is more than a team but an organization and it is time this organization made their own luck of what is offered them in the draft as a majority of other teams. If Kolb does not want to take a pay cut, you cut him and get a guy like Fitzpatrick to be a stop gap for the rookie. If Kolb stays and the unlikely happens and works out, you still win big...you have a franchise QB.

Last edited:

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
WAS will expect too much for him after what they gave up for RG3. I think I'd be OK with a 2nd and 5th though. He looks like he can play, we WILL get a new QB this year, he may be better than any QB that will be available to us in this draft

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score
Hell he took Plummer to within an eye lash of the superbowl. He made Bubby Brister stand up right. He is a very good offensive head coach. ours... not so much.

I want better.
Plummer was very good for the way he was used, but I guess that is the point. He is willing to adjust his offense to suit the players he has.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Imagine the up side of getting Cousins. With a couple of months training under this coaching staff he'd be REALLY ready to go.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
How's this sound for Cousins?

A 3rd this year+a conditional pick next year that can be a 1st to 4th depending on our record and his performance? (1st would be he makes the pro bowl and we make the playoffs or something along those lines). Similar to what the Jets traded for Farve a few years back.

CardsSunsDbacks

Not So Skeptical
Reaction score

A 3rd this year+a conditional pick next year that can be a 1st to 4th depending on our record and his performance? (1st would be he makes the pro bowl and we make the playoffs or something along those lines). Similar to what the Jets traded for Farve a few years back.
I would definitely do that, but I doubt the Skins take that deal.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I would definitely do that, but I doubt the Skins take that deal.

You think bumping it to a 2nd this year would get it done? They spent a 4th on the guy and know he's going to be their backup. They need all the picks they can get. I doubt they are demanding a 1st for him.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Imagine the up side of getting Cousins. With a couple of months training under this coaching staff he'd be REALLY ready to go.
home? Look for another job?

I like that idea. I could live with it

and you're right on what they spent and him only being a backup, but at the rate RG3 has been getting himself banged up, it's possible Cousins would be more useful than a backup on most other teams

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the sample size just isn't there for me yet. Cousins can end up being a solid player in this league, but a full game against the Cleveland Browns, presumably asking Cousins to do very little with the playbook and otherwise is way too risky for me. (Speaking of that, want to win a bar bet? The Redskins have the number one rushing offense in the league, or at least did going into last week.)

At least you could sell me when the Kolb trade went down that the guy was judged to be at least a second round talent. You don't start throwing multiple draft picks at a guy that was drafted in the fourth and only has one full game to his credit.

We need to stand pat and draft a guy, or bandaid up for another year and make some moves for the kind of franchise player we need.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
What wee need, imo, is to have a coach who will decide from the get-go on who the QB is and do everything he can to build the offense around the QB's strengths and to build the QB's confidence.

Forget about NFL Draft ratings---

Russell Wilson went in the third round---but given the choice now, the Seahawks would have taken him instead of Bruce Irvin with the #15 pick in the first round, and not even thought twice about it.

The point is that GM John Schneider, HC Pete Carroll and OC Darrell Bevell all saw something special in this kid and once Wilson confirmed what they saw, there was no looking back---not even when in the beginning of the season Wilson was struggling with consistency---they stayed committed to him---and they have catered their offense around Wilson's strengths and they have steadily built up his confidence.

If there is a QB in this draft that our GM, HC and OC all agree on, take him in the first round---cater the offense to his strengths and stick with him through the early struggles.

if that QB is Tyler Wilson or Ryan Nassib---take him and don't wait.

If it's Geno Smith---do what the Redskins did and trade up to get him.

If there's one position in the NFL you should never wait on it's the QB position.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Seattle is a perfect example of why you don't trade for Cousins. They gace Matt Flynn a big contract based on 1 game in GB and he couldn't beat out a 5'11 rookie QB from Wisonsin.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seattle is a perfect example of why you don't trade for Cousins. They gace Matt Flynn a big contract based on 1 game in GB and he couldn't beat out a 5'11 rookie QB from Wisonsin.

Uhh... who it turns out is really really good. I am not advocating trading for Cousins but hard to knock Flynn for losing the job to Wilson.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plummer was very good for the way he was used, but I guess that is the point. He is willing to adjust his offense to suit the players he has.

Yep because Jake didn't have a different OC just about every year and a different offense.

Shanahan was the only one good enough to figure out how to hide Jake's problems. And even he got so fed up with Jake's lack of work ethic that he benched him midseason.

Said it for years Shanahan is a coaching genius, no idea if Cousins is any good or not but trading for him off one start playing for Shanahan would be pretty sketchy IMO.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson