I would rather trade for Cousins

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Seattle is a perfect example of why you don't trade for Cousins. They gace Matt Flynn a big contract based on 1 game in GB and he couldn't beat out a 5'11 rookie QB from Wisonsin.
lol. In pro sports, there's no such thing as a perfect example. 6th round QB... Tom Brady or Ryan Lindley? We could find a guy that went undrafted, got cut as a walk-on, worked at a grocery store until finally playing in the arena league... you just can never tell where the guy will end up based on where he started

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, Mike Glennon is moving up. Kiper and Pioli have him #1 off the board for QBs. Good position for the Cardinals.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Uhh... who it turns out is really really good. I am not advocating trading for Cousins but hard to knock Flynn for losing the job to Wilson.
Wilson is good at the read option.

If that's the offense they were planning on running then the Flynn signing was even more ridiculous.

I think I remember reading that Flynn had injured his shoulder but Seattle tried to keep it quiet.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
cbus has a bad case of wishfull confirmation bias as far as wilson - it's best to not pay much attention to it

flynn played really well in preseason and still remains a good signing

i like what cousins has shown as well - however, I see no reason why washington would trade him ....... he's stepped in and done what they needed in a backup and he's cheap ... under the new CBA he has at least 2 more years before he can even begin to think about changing his paycheck .... any team who trades for him as a starter gets the added bonus of not having to invest money into him, which adds to his value

washington did give up a lot to get RGIII though and could use additional picks

if I were washington I'd hold firm for at least another year - see how RGIII makes it through his 2nd season, try to develop a replacement for cousins and see what teams are willing to pay for cousins at that point

there is no point in moving what has shown to be at least an adequete backup with good upside when you don't have anything readily available for that position

i really don't see him on the market this year unless some teams makes an overwhelming offer

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
It's not wishful confirmation. I have said he's playing well and baking me look bad. I'm just not ready to anoint him yet. I have reservations about his long term viability

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I would trade a 2014 3rd rounder for him. This would allow me to upgrade the offense with 2013 picks and also bring in a vet like Matt Moore as insurance.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
What wee need, imo, is to have a coach who will decide from the get-go on who the QB is and do everything he can to build the offense around the QB's strengths and to build the QB's confidence.
---
Russell Wilson went in the third round---but given the choice now, the Seahawks would have taken him instead of Bruce Irvin with the #15 pick in the first round, and not even thought twice about it.-

Thing is, Seattle decided that Flynn was their QB before the draft even rolled around and then changed their minds after Wilson wowed them all in the pre-season. We don't need a coach who's going to "decide from the get-go." What we need is a coach who can evaluate the players on his roster and is flexible enough to change his offense to his best players the way Carroll did when he realized Wilson was his best option at QB, instead of a coach like Whiz who says "the system works" and tries to force players to run it when they don't have the ability.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
There is no way at all Redskins move him for a 2014 pick. They may not even for a 2013 high 3rd.

Why? Picks are at a premium more than ever and they would be adding a high pick than they spent for him. Most teams would trade a 4th rounder for a third rounder which trading Cousins essentially is. They may want another later pick as well, but to think they would hold out because of the year is kinda ridiculous.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Why? Picks are at a premium more than ever and they would be adding a high pick than they spent for him. Most teams would trade a 4th rounder for a third rounder which trading Cousins essentially is. They may want another later pick as well, but to think they would hold out because of the year is kinda ridiculous.

It's a year of absolutely zero production from a 4th rounder you just spent - and you're a team currently in desperate need of draft picks. It wouldn't happen for a 2014 pick.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wilson is good at the read option.

If that's the offense they were planning on running then the Flynn signing was even more ridiculous.

I think I remember reading that Flynn had injured his shoulder but Seattle tried to keep it quiet.

You play to the strengths of your players, and Wilson is not only a read option QB. He is patient in the pocket, has great awareness, is accurate. Guy has a 98 QB rating and a 2.5-1 TD-INT ratio. He is just plain good. I was skeptical as anyone at the start of the year but he has certainly proven himself.

SoCal Cardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This thread is depressing, Just ONCE in my lifetime, I would love for the Cards to have the luxury of having two NFL caliber QB's on the roster at the same time, but alas.. I get ahead of myself, still waiting on ONE.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Right now he represents a pretty nice asset. There is no way they'd trade him for a 3rd regardless of the year. They have a backup QB who appears to be serviceable and he is under contract for beans for the next 3 years... no chance they'd ship him for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

With how many QB desperate teams there will be this year I think their asking price will be a 1st round pick, and if no one pays... who cares, they have the luxury of 2nd QB and he is practically paid league minimum.

Cbus cardsfan

Reaction score
You play to the strengths of your players, and Wilson is not only a read option QB. He is patient in the pocket, has great awareness, is accurate. Guy has a 98 QB rating and a 2.5-1 TD-INT ratio. He is just plain good. I was skeptical as anyone at the start of the year but he has certainly proven himself.
so far.

I say this about him, Kapernick and RG. We'll see how they react when the DC's adjust and stop the read option. Tebow even won running the read option last year.

It actually surprises me that teams haven't brought in Vince Young because he excelled at the read option while at Texas. The NFL is a copycat league and more teams will likely run it next year. However, I think the read option will go the way of the wildcat in a year or two.

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He's played one game and is not available anyway. Screw Cousins.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Right now he represents a pretty nice asset. There is no way they'd trade him for a 3rd regardless of the year. They have a backup QB who appears to be serviceable and he is under contract for beans for the next 3 years... no chance they'd ship him for a 3rd or 4th round pick.

With how many QB desperate teams there will be this year I think their asking price will be a 1st round pick, and if no one pays... who cares, they have the luxury of 2nd QB and he is practically paid league minimum.

He has played one game. If RGIII continues to get injured and Cusins shows well then of course they will keep him. But, most teams don't think in terms of their starting QB getting injured. Right now the Redskins have invested a 4th round pick into a backup QB. If they can flip that investment into a 3rd rounder or multiple mid round picks, then that is smart investing. You know the Redskins are considering what the value is if Cousins plays again and stinks it up. Right now he is a relatively unknown quality but has had one good performance.

If you buy a stock and it skyrockets despite much justification behind it, it is good business to cash out at it's peak and then reinvest the money in another venture. That is why I believe the Redskins will try and get what they can for Cousins and then move on.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
FWIW, Seattle didn't run a single read option play until the 2nd half of the bears game and it's still a very small portion of their playbook - maybe 10 plays a game with that look

Wilson is having plenty of success as well in the traditional sets - his play action game is superb

Still a long way to go for his career story and I was fairly skeptical of the pick - but watching the guy all year it would be fair to say that he's flourished on the read option plays (as has lynch), but to attribute all of his success to that offense is completely off the mark

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
We all know he can play in the NFL. (or not?) So why not give up one of our top picks for him instead of taking any of the qb draftees, who would seem to be more of a gamble. (or are they?)

I guess we could send out #1 Young CB and draft picks for him. :mulli:

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
so far.

I say this about him, Kapernick and RG. We'll see how they react when the DC's adjust and stop the read option. Tebow even won running the read option last year.

It actually surprises me that teams haven't brought in Vince Young because he excelled at the read option while at Texas. The NFL is a copycat league and more teams will likely run it next year. However, I think the read option will go the way of the wildcat in a year or two.
Vince Young's problem include being fat, stupid and a locker-room cancer. The problem with running a read option with Vince is that he cant read, and I dont mean that literally, but that he cant read a defense.

You are not giving him credit for the offense they're running. Its not simply a read option. Wilson has shown the capacity to make multiple reads and extend plays, all while keeping his turnovers low (something a lot of running QBs struggle with). But your point was that Flynn has been a failure, while IMO, Russell has been good. Maybe the wheels do come off for Russell at some point, but Seattle at least has their options open with Flynn. The Cards should take a page out of their book and do what Seattle and Washington did. Clean the slate from their trash QBs and bring in more than one potential solution.

... speaking of Washington

He has played one game. If RGIII continues to get injured and Cusins shows well then of course they will keep him. But, most teams don't think in terms of their starting QB getting injured. Right now the Redskins have invested a 4th round pick into a backup QB. If they can flip that investment into a 3rd rounder or multiple mid round picks, then that is smart investing. You know the Redskins are considering what the value is if Cousins plays again and stinks it up. Right now he is a relatively unknown quality but has had one good performance.

If you buy a stock and it skyrockets despite much justification behind it, it is good business to cash out at it's peak and then reinvest the money in another venture. That is why I believe the Redskins will try and get what they can for Cousins and then move on.

I dont disagree with anything you said, except we are way off on the perceived value. Its a young QB, making beans, in an offseason where there will be no shortage of extreeeeemely desperate teams searching for QBs. To swap him for a 3rd would be like having a stock go through the roof and then selling it for only a pittance more than you bought it for. If I were running a team I would not give up a 1st or 2nd for Cousins because I havnt seen enough. But the Skins are in a position to take advantage of desperation or sit on Cousins, still be able to trade him in any of the next 3 years and have the luxury of a (seemingly) capable backup. Its just not worth it to give that up for a 3rd round pick.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I dont disagree with anything you said, except we are way off on the perceived value. Its a young QB, making beans, in an offseason where there will be no shortage of extreeeeemely desperate teams searching for QBs. To swap him for a 3rd would be like having a stock go through the roof and then selling it for only a pittance more than you bought it for. If I were running a team I would not give up a 1st or 2nd for Cousins because I havnt seen enough. But the Skins are in a position to take advantage of desperation or sit on Cousins, still be able to trade him in any of the next 3 years and have the luxury of a (seemingly) capable backup. Its just not worth it to give that up for a 3rd round pick.

And I could be way off in terms of compensation. I just personally put a higher value on draft picks in regards to what they bring in return because they have both increased trade value and provide cheap players for the roster. But, again, you are correct that there will be teams looking for a QB and he might be the best available to some.