Nash: Do you miss him?

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
As a long time Nash fan it was tough to see him go. Goran Dragic's play on the court has made the post-Nash era much easier to deal with. I don't miss Nash and watching Dragic run the point has been fun (especially the defense).

What about you guys?

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Honestly, I don't miss Nash at all. I would have missed him had he left three years ago, but I can honestly say that I don't miss him one bit.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Steve has reached the point where he is a retirement waiting to happen.

As great a player as he was for us in his heyday, his lack of defense and stamina and the inability to transition to any other Point Guard as he declined hurt the Suns.

I had a '65 Impala Super Sport convertible (the first with a back window made of glass) which I loved for ten years. It had one little rear seat speaker in the back seat between the faux bucket seats, with a knob under the dash that you twisted from Front to Both to Back.

Dropping the car off at a junk yard broke my heart, even though I had purchased a few different family cars in between. But it finally had to go.

In answer to the title of your thread, I missed it. But what I missed had long since declined. And it was time to move on.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I miss the SSOL Nash but I do not miss the 2011 Nash at all.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It was time to move on from the era, but I do think we would be better at the moment if he were here. Swap Skola and Frye and we are almost certainly a playoff team last year. He makes offense so much easier for the team as a whole and without him we are left with a lot of guys having to create their own low percentage looks. Sometimes those guys will get hot and we will win, like last night with Brown, but our offense would be far more formidable and consistent with Nash at the helm.

Again to clarify, that is not to say we should have kept him. It was past time to move on and rebuild.

Errntknght

Reaction score
Heck yes, I miss watching him... but I wanted to start missing him many years ago. Maybe some coaching staff could have constructed an offense that didn't totally fall apart when he was sitting, but ours clearly could not. The simplest way to do it would have been to have two somewhat separate offenses and platoon the first and second units. Gentry almost did it by accident the year we went to WCF but he never really grasped why it worked, and scrapped it the next year - with an unwitting assist or two from the FO.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck yes, I miss watching him... but I wanted to start missing him many years ago. Maybe some coaching staff could have constructed an offense that didn't totally fall apart when he was sitting, but ours clearly could not. The simplest way to do it would have been to have two somewhat separate offenses and platoon the first and second units. Gentry almost did it by accident the year we went to WCF but he never really grasped why it worked, and scrapped it the next year - with an unwitting assist or two from the FO.

This.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I definitely miss Steve Nash the person, however, the Suns did not have anything to put around him (the player) since Amare left. He provided Suns fans some great memories including 2 MVPs. I will never forget how he made the Suns relevant after the Mavericks did not match the Suns contract offer. However, there was no doubt in my mind he needed to move on if he wanted to continue playing. The Suns are in some stage of rebuild mode.

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
As horrendous as the current Suns are, I'm enjoying watching them more than the prior two years with Nash because it was painful seeing management take away all of the shooters Nash was supposed to be passing to. The Heat are employing said model by surrounding their 2.5 stars with cheap role-playing shooters.

Goran is fun to watch and it's nice to see something different after all these years even if it is worse. It's nice to drop any pretenses that the team is going to compete anymore. I'm excited to watch some new players develop (especially over the next 2-3 years) rather than seeing retreads and stopgaps over and over. Note: I don't think the future is bright by any means, but at least we are bound to have some high draft picks and roster turnover as opposed to a constant widdling away.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
So you guys know how when Amare left, he made a bill board thanking the Suns fans and when Hill left, he thanked the fans in a newspaper column?

Did Nash do anything like that to thank the Suns fans?

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So you guys know how when Amare left, he made a bill board thanking the Suns fans and when Hill left, he thanked the fans in a newspaper column?

Did Nash do anything like that to thank the Suns fans?

He has said plenty about how special his time was here, I am not too worried that being a Sun didnt mean much because he didnt put something in the paper.

I wonder when that tradition started. First guy I remember doing it was Dan Majerle after he was traded to Cleveland.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Nash was thinking, I'll be back, maybe even as a player near the end of his career. He certainly will be back to be inducted into the Suns Ring of Honor.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Maybe Nash was thinking, I'll be back, maybe even as a player near the end of his career. He certainly will be back to be inducted into the Suns Ring of Honor.
For one game, to retire as a Sun, great!

Suns Ring of Honor, as soon as he retires!

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Everyone saying no is bitter.

Of course I do. Same way I miss Kurt Warner.

Has nothing to do with how good of players they were, because both had crappy games.

But because of who they were and what they meant to their teams and the community.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Everyone saying no is bitter.
That is an unfair accusation.

I loved what Steve did for Phoenix. But, for the past two years, he no longer had the stamina to be that Steve Nash as the playoffs approached.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score

I loved what Steve did for Phoenix. But, for the past two years, he no longer had the stamina to be that Steve Nash as the playoffs approached.

I agree BC. I am not bitter about Nash at all. I love what he did for the Suns. It was time to go (well, it was two or three years past the time to go).

Bodha

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Thats true. I apologize.

Its just there seems to be this divide of fans who still love him or hate him for "being a traitor".

Im curious to see what happens when he returns to PHX. Ill be sick if people boo.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Thats true. I apologize.

Its just there seems to be this divide of fans who still love him or hate him for "being a traitor".

Im curious to see what happens when he returns to PHX. Ill be sick if people boo.

Those who hate him for "being a traitor" can pucker up and kiss it. Steve Nash has done enough for this team that, in my opinion, he can go anywhere, including the Lakers, and still be one of my favorite Suns of all time. He signed a contract with Phoenix, he played through that contract without once saying anything negative about the team. As far as I am concerned, Steve Nash is alright. Signing with the Lakers does nothing to tarnish his legacy as a Phoenix Sun.

My guess is that Steve gets a standing ovation when he comes back to Phoenix. There will be a couple of people who will boo, but their actions will not even be noticeable due to thousands of people cheering for him and giving him a standing ovation.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not really. I mean I miss the fantastic passes and the timely shooting but I don't miss him getting burned constantly on defense or causing defensive break downs. I don't miss how one dimensional this team had become with him. Nash is one of my favorite Suns of all time but it was time to move on a couple years ago.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison