Miller may have found his point guard for next year

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
I figured another shoe would drop as next year is mucho importante and rightfully should have Final Four expectations. Lyons on the court would turn a a weakness into a strength. He can play immediately but only for a year. Perfect setup.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
I can't wait!!

From Tarczewski, Jerrett, Ashley, York, McConnell, Korchek, Hazzard (preferred?? walk-on), and now to maybe Lyons.

I've been fan since '88 but I was so much into the Suns and NBA Draft; that I've only been following recruiting since Miller arrived... pretty impressive.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Outstanding. That's a gift from Basketball Jesus right there. Hallelujah, Amen, and Bear Down.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPXaoAZhbqg

Still trying to figure out why UCLA reportedly contacted his HS coach. I think he's a good enough player, but with them already having 2 PG's it's a huge risk to even try and get another one.

Especially one who had the issues Lyons had last year.

Makes more sense for UA they don't have a clear PG and Miller knows the kid so he has a better idea what he's getting into.

Luckily it doesn't appear the kid has any interest in UCLA so I won't have to worry about how Drew and Anderson would react.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Eh, kid has baggage no doubt but he's on track to graduate in four years so it's not like he's completely out of control. XU/Cincy has always been a war.

If his choices are UK, KU, and UA he's going to Tucson. KU has Elijah Johnson and Naadir Tharpe and Kentucky has Ryan Harrow. Arizona has...umm...Jordin Mayes?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh, kid has baggage no doubt but he's on track to graduate in four years so it's not like he's completely out of control. XU/Cincy has always been a war.

If his choices are UK, KU, and UA he's going to Tucson. KU has Elijah Johnson and Naadir Tharpe and Kentucky has Ryan Harrow. Arizona has...umm...Jordin Mayes?

Yeah I'm thinking as a UCLA fan. You just know Drew(and his mom) would go nuts if they made a run at him. they already lost Artis because of Kyle Anderson if you tick off Kyle by going after another PG (for one year) it's silly.

For UA it makes more sense.

Still, the coahc literally said we talked about our expectations for next year and what he needs to work on and he said it wasn't important to him. Very odd to run off a senior and your best player to make room for a freshman PG.

But Miller knows the kid so he's probably assuming for one year it can be dealt with.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news former PG of the future Josiah Turner was apparently busted for DUI by UA campus police in the last week.

I seriously worry about this kid, at this point he's already had schools like Louisville apparently bow out of attempting to get him to transfer, and now this is just going to make it harder.

wilycoyote24

All Star
Reaction score
He should go the Burfict route and declare for the draft right now, just to not get drafted.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should go the Burfict route and declare for the draft right now, just to not get drafted.

He's in some trouble. Ran a red light, pulled over blew a .15 and .16. No license, no registration, no rear plate, not his car said he only knew the first name of the cars' owner but it was "his bro."

I'd heard yesterday he may have "Borrowed" it without permission I guess that's where that came from. Hopefully the owner actually did let him borrow it.

Charged with an extreme DUI.

Supposedly going to transfer to SMU now if they will still take him.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Going to be nice to be stable at point for the next three years (six if we land PJC). Miller continues to build a monster.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Nice acquisition and big need for this team. Couldn't enter 2012 with Johnson at point. Not his position.

Getting Lyons makes the failed Josiah Turner experiment a bit easier to swallow.

Also, we needed an additional quality player to answer ucla's recent recruiting successes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looking at the Pac-12 next year, the top four teams in no particular order are:
UofA
UCLA
Stanford
Colorado

All four schools should make the NCAA tournament barring any injuries.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
This is gonna be a sick lineup for the Cats next season:

TJ McConnell
Mark Lyons
Jordin Mayes
Nick Johnson
Gabe York
Kevin Parrom
Solomon Hill
Brandon Ashley
Angelo Chol
Grant Jerrett
Kaleb Tarczewski
Matt Korcheck

:cats:

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is gonna be a sick lineup for the Cats next season:

TJ McConnell
Mark Lyons
Jordin Mayes
Nick Johnson
Gabe York
Kevin Parrom
Solomon Hill
Brandon Ashley
Angelo Chol
Grant Jerrett
Kaleb Tarczewski
Matt Korcheck

:cats:

McConnell has to sit out a year because he transferred from Duquense

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Korcheck is redshirting as well.

Still a deep team, depth chart will look something like this assuming Mayes doesn't transfer...

PG - Lyons/Mayes
SG - Johnson/Parrom/York
SF - Hill/Parrom
PF - Chol/Ashley
C - Zeus/Jarrett

Venry interchangeable with Solo able to move up to the four if Miller wnats to go small at certain points. Team should be easy top 15 next year. UCLA and Arizona are officially back.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Korcheck is redshirting as well.

Still a deep team, depth chart will look something like this assuming Mayes doesn't transfer...

PG - Lyons/Mayes
SG - Johnson/Parrom/York
SF - Hill/Parrom
PF - Chol/Ashley
C - Zeus/Jarrett

Venry interchangeable with Solo able to move up to the four if Miller wnats to go small at certain points. Team should be easy top 15 next year. UCLA and Arizona are officially back.

Mayes is interesting there are apparent relatives of his who have been VERY vocal on UA sites about being unhappy how he's been used. If they're really correct, it would almost be expected that Mayes will now transfer but I guess we'll see.

With Bennett dropping UK there's a real chance he picks Oregon and if he qualifies they could be pretty good again next year too.

Definitely seems to be an upswing in the Pac 12 although i'm still quite nervous the UCLA uptick could be a one year thing.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Mayes is interesting there are apparent relatives of his who have been VERY vocal on UA sites about being unhappy how he's been used. If they're really correct, it would almost be expected that Mayes will now transfer but I guess we'll see.

With Bennett dropping UK there's a real chance he picks Oregon and if he qualifies they could be pretty good again next year too.

Definitely seems to be an upswing in the Pac 12 although i'm still quite nervous the UCLA uptick could be a one year thing.

Bennett picked UNLV over Oregon today.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Mark Lyons = a better chance at competing for a Pac-12 title and getting to the Sweet 16 and more.

Uh huh. Just like Wilson transferred cross country to Wisky as a graduate student and took them to Rose Bowl (basketball equivalent of Elite 8 or Final 4) as their "QB" (PG) I'm not sure I understand. Were you trying to say the analogy was off? Or furthering my point?

OP
OP
Lefty

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Uh huh. Just like Wilson transferred cross country to Wisky as a graduate student and took them to Rose Bowl (basketball equivalent of Elite 8 or Final 4) as their "QB" (PG) I'm not sure I understand. Were you trying to say the analogy was off? Or furthering my point?

Furthering your point. There are fans of other schools who think Lyons will not help the Cats as much as UofA fans believe.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson