Whiz made QB choice with 49ers in mind

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
I keep thinking that the Tenn. game last year was a micro-cosm of what Matt's future would be with the Cards.
I can agree that that's a possibility but I don't think it's the case. That Tennessee game was VERY important for Leinart and was much more than just a game for him. While not overly aggressive or dynamic, he did do enough to win and was let down by the defense. In a spot start with no notice I think he did at least what was required of him at that stage.

It's a dangerous thing to pick one game(and a limitation to Leinart talk since he only had 1 start last year) as a micro chasm. Imagine if we did the same thing with Warner? He's not even the same guy the last few times against the 49ers. Jets. Carolina. Etc.

No, to me the Tennessee game was Leinart staying within himself, making damn sure he didn't hurt the team and doing enough to win. It was a perfect game for him to wet his feet as starter in terms of building on what he had done. Considering his shakiness against Chicago and St. Louis in previous weeks I think it was understandable for him to play it close to the vest.

I really don't have a problem with him as a starter being more cautious and building up to taking risks. In fact, I thought that was what Whis has been trying to do by tearing down his mechanics, attitude, approach, etc. over the last few years.

Warner has said that Leinart is in a bad spot because many are expecting him to just step in and do what he was doing and that really isn't fair. The o-line is completely different, Boldin is gone, etc. And Leinart still only has 17 starts in his career.

OP
OP
PACardsFan

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
What I see is a fundamental flaw in his release. He pats the ball on every throw which slows down his release. If there is any truth to Fitz's complaints about being laid out by Matt's passes it is because the ball takes too long to get to the receiver and the DB's have that extra instant to get a step toward the play. That delay is enough to crerate seperation if thrown properly. Most of these highlights are to WR's that are open enough for this not to threaten them.

You're absolutely dead-on correct. Green Bay had their 2nd or 3rd team in there & they were giving up huge cushions with the big lead. Good CB's would bait Matt into throws, similar to what DRC did to Delhomme 2yrs ago in the playoffs.

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Niners don't have ballhawks in their secondary. I'll take my chances throwing deep to 6'4" & 6'5" receivers. BTW, I love Hall also. Who knows, by the time we play the Niners, Hall may be the starter.

If Hall is starting the SF game, we're probably not in contention for the division title.

moklerman

Rise from the Ashes III
Reaction score
Niners don't have ballhawks in their secondary. I'll take my chances throwing deep to 6'4" & 6'5" receivers.
Fitzgerald, Breaston and Doucet are all 6'3" or under. You expect a lot of playing time for Williams, Moguey and Jones?

john h

LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wiz tends to be a "long range" thinker and reactor.

As important beating the Niners might be toward winning our division this year, I doubt that he'd base his QB decision on "matching up favorably with the Niners" if it meant not matching up as favorably in the other 14 games.

I do think - taking the long view - that Wiz and the Cardinal FO may be taking a fresh look at the overall identity of the NFC West (i.e. less pass-happy and more apt to take on the personality of the NFC East).

Compared to a few years ago, The Niners play tougher. The Rams under Spags figure to play more physical football. I'm not sure about Pete Carroll but Seattle could follow suit.

The Cardinal defense is definitely looking tougher and more physical. The offense (with the addition of Faneca and Hadnot) definitely looks to be tougher and more physical. Which begs the following question:

From a personality standpoint, which of the 2 Cardinal QB's comes across as "grittier" and more suitable to lead a more smashmouth offense?

From admittedly my distant vantage point away from the scene in NJ, my guess is that Anderson's personality would be the better fit for what Wiz wants his offense to be like.

(OT - I can't get out of my mind, the pass Leinart threw that got Fitz injured. Do you think he (fairly or unfairly) acquired the for hanging his receivers out to dry - the way he places the ball)?

Good point Jeff on hanging receivers out to dry. That was often mentioned by the announcers when Matt was in there. Anderson throws the ball so darn hard it would be hard for him to hang anyone out to dry. Throwing bullets without touch has been one of his problems. Leinart during his time here has frequently been criticized for his many short throws. I personally think that comes from not recognizing defenses and being able to accurately change into a proper offensive set. Kurt was a master at this which is why even with a bad offensive line it was hard to blitz him. Quick release and elite receivers made it even more difficult for other teams to blitz him effectively. It would be nice to know what the players on the team think of Matt when they are in a huddle? Does he come across as a leader with confidence? One I would think would also have to perform well to be a leader. Does this team look upon him as a leader? I have no idea. Whiz should know these answers and does. Matt often spends time on the sidelines by himself when he has played. Kurt seemed to be talking to anyone who would listen and even get in the coaches face. That comes from confidence. There was no doubt that Kurt Warner was the leader of the offense. All great QBs possess this leadership.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Whiz's offense evolved into a shorter & intermediate passing attack, because Warner's shoulder (2009) didn't allow for the bigger stuff. Ideally, Whiz loves the long ball. He did in Pittsburgh & let's not forget that 3 long balls to Fitz against Atlanta, Carolina, & Philly were the reason we ended up in the SB.

Short and intermediate passing in 2008, and a better running attack set up a few long throws in the playoffs.

My issue with Anderson is his inability on short and intermediate due to inaccuracy, and thus the need for a stellar running game to set up play action and longer throws. Much prefer Leinart's ability to handle the short and intermediate passing and keeping the chains moving, if the running game fails. And, if one goes back to year one of Leinart's career, he didn't throw a bad longer ball.

With Anderson, I envision too many three and outs and potential turnovers that wear out the "D".

I will be curious to see our time of possession numbers with Anderson.

Last edited:

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Good post. I would like to make a couple of counterpoints to your statements.

1. One of the Niner loses can be attributed in part to Lyle Sendlien. He was tipping every snap count when the Cards were in shotgun formation. That is the reason why the Niners were destroying the offensive line on passing plays.

Check this video: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d81239711/Pre-WK-3-Matt-Leinart-highlights

2. I would venture to say that Leinart is more mobile than Anderson. I am not sure how mobile Anderson is but proof of Leinart is going back and checking the video of his performance against the Packers last year in pre-season. He even passes scrambling to his right in the video.

3. I will add that if you question Leinart's ability to go over the top you should refresh your memory by watching the video also.

That's fun to watch. If given time, Leinart can destroy zone defenses. And yes I realize they were mostly second/third stringers, but so were his receivers.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think DA will be riding the pine by game 3. ML, we will never know. I'm curious about the rookies, but they are rookies. If the running game improves, (I think it will) who ever is taking the snap has a great team and opportunity.

Nash2Amare

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I think DA will be riding the pine by game 3. ML, we will never know. I'm curious about the rookies, but they are rookies. If the running game improves, (I think it will) who ever is taking the snap has a great team and opportunity.

There's no way he sucks it up that much against STL and Atlanta.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
If DA throws more picks than TDs in the first two games, pull out the pine sol! Especially if it costs us a game against the falcons.

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Does anyone else feel like the first play of 2007 had a profoundly negative impact on Matt's career?

If you remember, it was MNF the season opener in San Francisco, everyone was so pumped for Leinart after he looked promising in his rookie season. He came out and threw a pick on the very first play from scrimmage and IMO, he's never looked the same since. It was pretty much the worst way he could start the season and that was the beginning of Matt putting his head down. I think the swaggar that everyone talks about kindof left him then because he was always playing scared after that it seemed to me.. This is not just in light of our current controversy, I have thought it for a long time.

Last edited:

Bobcat

Reaction score
Niners don't have ballhawks in their secondary. I'll take my chances throwing deep to 6'4" & 6'5" receivers. BTW, I love Hall also. Who knows, by the time we play the Niners, Hall may be the starter.

Hey Drew Breez is only 6'1 maybe Just 6' tall. And we all know that he can really eat u up. It is not size but ability mostly.

BOBCAT :)

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ya know, I'm left handed and I just realized I put my leg in the left side of my pants first...I wonder if I've been doing this wrong my whole life. Maybe that's why I've always been a Card fan

I'm right handed and I do it the same way. So which one of us is wrong?:D

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
ML would be killed by the 9ers
DA will be picked off by the 9ers.

Not sure which is worse. Max Hall might be the right fit for the 9ers. Fats decisions and more accurate.

LOL hopefully the int will just be 30 yards down field, making it as effective as a punt!!!

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score

Damn, I was off by one game. :D

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Good call...how about some lottery numbers? I'll figure out the last one, just get me close

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After watching that video I officially want to puke. The is no effing way on earth that Leinart isn't better than DA. Dominique Byrd also should have made this team IMO.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson