What a difference a year makes.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I'm hoping - as a soon-to-be AZ resident - to at least get to a couple of games next season. Living in Prescott will mean I won't want to make the drive for every home game, but I'd sure like to go to some.
Tip, although you might want to, don’t exceed ten miles over the posted speed limit or the cost of your game trip increases:)

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The defense will likely be pretty bad, but I think there’s a chance this offense could be pretty good. But yeah… A LOOOOOONG way to go on D.
That's the concensus...but based on the defense Gannon ran in Philly I think people would be amazed at the difference 3 front 7 players could make to this defense...a run stuffer and a penetrator at DT and a solid edge guy...
We get to the point where we consistently get pressure with 4 and it makes our nobody secondary look worlds better.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's the concensus...but based on the defense Gannon ran in Philly I think people would be amazed at the difference 3 front 7 players could make to this defense...a run stuffer and a penetrator at DT and a solid edge guy...
We get to the point where we consistently get pressure with 4 and it makes our nobody secondary look worlds better.
Yeah, no biggee, nabbing a dumpster DT, a pass-rushing DT, and a solid edge player in one season. Seems easy :D

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Yeah, no biggee, nabbing a dumpster DT, a pass-rushing DT, and a solid edge player in one season. Seems easy :D
Lol... yeah..especially considering the development time for big men...but run stuffing vets in their mid thirties can come cheap on a 1 or 2 year deal...then an early round pick on newton/murphy/verse... and a mid round on a guy like Sweat...
We can fill a couple slots knowing the players will steadily improve over the next few seasons...draft another next year, let the vet retire... there's a process that's not hopeless. Just can't go into it expecting all pro results right away.

While I would love a Chris jones... I would rather draft him I think.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Contend for a wild card maybe but this defense is likely going to be extremely sad again next year. We need maybe five or more starters on that unit.

I think the NFC will be better also. Doesn’t feel great to be playing the AFC East and NFL North.
Petzing has showed the ability to play keep-away from the other team pretty successfully which should help the defense as it is not likely to be built in one off-season.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
My guess is a majority of our FA dollars will be spent on the defense. Maybe we spend 12 mil for one year on Marquise Brown, or 5 mil on a RB or TE, but not much more than that IMO. The draft skews offense early, and heavy on WR and OL. Both work for AZ. In order to build up the defense, the offense has to start getting cheaper. The draft is a great way to do that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
While we might re-sign Hollywood, I think it will be for less than 11 or 12 M.
Allen Lazard got 11 mil per year this past offseason on a multi year deal. I don't think Brown will sign a multi year for 11 or 12 but I think he would take it for 1. I don't understand why you think he will cost less.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Allen Lazard got 11 mil per year this past offseason on a multi year deal. I don't think Brown will sign a multi year for 11 or 12 but I think he would take it for 1. I don't understand why you think he will cost less.
Injury filled year.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Didn't Allen Lazard get that deal from Jets GM Aaron Rodgers? Aren't many of those in the NFL.

Would you give him Michael Gallup's contract? Five years, $60 million, $25 million guaranteed at signing, including $20 million signing bonus?

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, I don't think it's as far away from being competitive as people think. It's mainly the D line and mainly the Edge rush. Opposing QB's have all day to stand back and pick off zones. If we can improve that then the whole defense will improve dramatically.

There are other holes for sure, but fixing that will make the biggest difference.
How about bralen trice at 21 and sweat at 35? Alt at 4 if harrisson gone?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Didn't Allen Lazard get that deal from Jets GM Aaron Rodgers? Aren't many of those in the NFL.

Would you give him Michael Gallup's contract? Five years, $60 million, $25 million guaranteed at signing, including $20 million signing bonus?
I don't think he will take a multi year deal south of 17 mil per year. He will bet on himself with a healthy Kyler on the basis it likely won't be worse than this year.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Then you don't sign him. No reason to give him more than he deserves/we're willing to pay. He's not good enough.
The Cardinals won't go into the draft with Wilson, Moore, Dortch, and Pascal as the WR corp. And I don't believe they have a shot at HIggins, Pittman and Evans. I think 1 year at 10-12 mil works for both parties.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The Cardinals won't go into the draft with Wilson, Moore, Dortch, and Pascal as the WR corp. And I don't believe they have a shot at HIggins, Pittman and Evans. I think 1 year at 10-12 mil works for both parties.
Why not? You think Monti's going to Dollar Bill this offseason? I swear, folks were smoking the hopium last year assuring pessimists we'd have tons and tons to spend in FA; flip it a year, and folks are all "we won't be able to sign big money FAs." I could see Pittman maybe getting the tag and Evans maybe wanting to stay in Tampa, but there's no reason we can't land a Higgins.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
My guess is a majority of our FA dollars will be spent on the defense. Maybe we spend 12 mil for one year on Marquise Brown, or 5 mil on a RB or TE, but not much more than that IMO. The draft skews offense early, and heavy on WR and OL. Both work for AZ. In order to build up the defense, the offense has to start getting cheaper. The draft is a great way to do that.

I mostly agree with you but feel like a solid veteran LG would really help this team in 2024.

IF we are drafting a T early - you will either have Paris at LT or a rookie.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Why not? You think Monti's going to Dollar Bill this offseason? I swear, folks were smoking the hopium last year assuring pessimists we'd have tons and tons to spend in FA; flip it a year, and folks are all "we won't be able to sign big money FAs." I could see Pittman maybe getting the tag and Evans maybe wanting to stay in Tampa, but there's no reason we can't land a Higgins.
You highlighted a few reasons. Pittman should get the tag. I thought Evans would be available but it seems that may have changed. Higgins will be top WR on the market, and I don't see Arizona being the preferred destination.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
You highlighted a few reasons. Pittman should get the tag. I thought Evans would be available but it seems that may have changed. Higgins will be top WR on the market, and I don't see Arizona being the preferred destination.
Also, Cincy has over $68 million in cap space for 2024 (per OTC). Way more than us. They can franchise Higgins easily and work it out.

OT: The Rams had a staggering $81 million in dead money in 2023 and only have $44 million in cap space in 2024. Donald, Kupp, and Stafford have combined cap hold over $110 million.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
How about bralen trice at 21 and sweat at 35? Alt at 4 if harrisson gone?

I think if they don't sign someone in FA (and FA doesn't look great) then they have to draft one of the top guys.

I think the team will trade for someone too. Maybe more than 1. 11 picks is too much for a single draft, that's a lot of rookie talent to properly handle.

Probably not some huge high pick trade but similar to the 5th's that got Amari Cooper and Brandin Cooks, or the 5th that got Shaq Mason.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, Cincy has over $68 million in cap space for 2024 (per OTC). Way more than us. They can franchise Higgins easily and work it out.

yep I'm thinking Cincy really wants to keep the Chase/Higgins duo together. That most likely means Tyler Boyd is the odd FA out in that WR corp.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
If our big offensive spend is on Hollywood Brown, I don't think people will be happy. He was awful in a contract year. Offer him 8 million on a 1 year deal, and if he goes, who cares? He's not anything near an irreplaceable piece.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison