Froholdt

OP
OP
Goodyear Card

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
I was making a point that a lot of people seem to have decided what he is without watching a single snap of him play. So I was just wondering what this rock solid opinion was based on.
Do you watch film before every one of your posts? Maybe you could breakdown every one of his snaps from last year and explain why he is a good center.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It is in the link you posted.

The Browns at one point had their top three centers – Nick Harris, Ethan Pocic and Michael Dunn – all on Injured Reserve (and a fourth, rookie Dawson Deaton, was on IR from the preseason). Froholdt was forced to start four games at a position he had never played.

He had 7 sacks, tied for 1st in the league and 5 penalties, 13th in the league. on 592 snaps. Sorry, I don't have a link, this came from another poster. This might not be as important as the fact that the Browns won three of the four games, he started but is it possible other players were factors in the Browns winning and not that Froholdt started at center. I know the Browns are a pathetic organization, but it is hard to believe they would let a player go who was so important to their success.

I guess we will just have to disagree on this topic.

As far as I can tell it's only 1 of those sacks came at Center by Nuzez-Roches for the Bucs.

Also while I appreciate what PFF do I've always been very dubious of their sack stats which they seem to assign based on some unknown system.

Not many places track sacks allowed but Stats Perform has him down for 3 sacks allowed. 3 is still not great in about 600 snaps but it's a hell of a lot better than 7.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Do you watch film before every one of your posts? Maybe you could breakdown every one of his snaps from last year and explain why he is a good center.

I try to watch players before I decided if they are good or not yes. And I've watched every snap Froholdt took at C last year. He did fine, considering he was thrown in at the deep end.

He's not going to be the liability people think.

In fact, I would not be surprised if Froholdt is better at C in 2023 than every C drafted this year. It's a major step up and hard to adjust to playing C in the league. It's extremely rare for none first round C's to even start, never mind be good.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ah ok. Guess Beachum sucks then. The league is full of players on that kind of money. Doesn't mean they are bad players.
Well, Beachum is 34 and he's mediocre. Even you think that he's a backup player and should be. That said, he's also played in the NFL for 11 seasons and has 147 starts on his resume. The whole league knows who he is.

Only the New England Patriots and Cleveland Browns really know who this guy is. Both teams decided there were better options available. Even as a developmental player. He's someone else's Lamont Galliard.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I try to watch players before I decided if they are good or not yes. And I've watched every snap Froholdt took at C last year. He did fine, considering he was thrown in at the deep end.

In fact, I would not be surprised if Froholdt is better at C in 2023 than every C drafted this year. It's a major step up and hard to adjust to playing C in the league. It's extremely rare for none first round C's to even start, never mind be good.
Bwahahahahahaha! Homer on, my man. Homer on.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
He only played 150 snaps last year, but was considered a top 10 center going into the season. He also miss.8 games the season before.

"Washington Commanders starting center Chase Roullier has had a run of bad injury luck over the past two seasons. He missed 9 games last season after breaking his leg and it wasn’t guaranteed he’d be ready to start this season. He made it back to the field and almost made it through two games before suffering an injury to his other leg. Roullier was injured on the second-to-last play on Washington’s final drive in a loss to the Detroit Lions."

Could be a low risk bigh reward signing.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
He only played 150 snaps last year, but was considered a top 10 center going into the season. He also miss.8 games the season before.

"Washington Commanders starting center Chase Roullier has had a run of bad injury luck over the past two seasons. He missed 9 games last season after breaking his leg and it wasn’t guaranteed he’d be ready to start this season. He made it back to the field and almost made it through two games before suffering an injury to his other leg. Roullier was injured on the second-to-last play on Washington’s final drive in a loss to the Detroit Lions."

I'm guessing they shopped him before the draft, especially if they planned on drafting Strom

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing they shopped him before the draft, especially if they planned on drafting Strom
Yeah, no one was going to take on that $9 million a year for 2 years. Granted, you could cut him after the first year with no hit, but giving up capital for an oft injured player for $9 million isn't in any way inviting!

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love this kind of misleading data. 14>11. True statement. 11/16=69%. 14/41=34%.

So good center equals winning 69% of games. Roughly a 12-5 record.

Bad center equals winning 34% of games. Roughly a 6-11 record.

Good talk.
Yes. Bottom line is if we are to hope Kyler improves he is going to need an improved offensive line along with better play calling and offensive philosophy.
We need to provide all the things needed to help Kyler be the guy. It starts with the o-line.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

BHIICH

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score

So Gaines is going to be a good Center because it's so easy in the NFL to switch rookie Guards to Centers and everybody does it, especially late round draft picks

But the early round draft picks - who actually played and we're successful at the Center position - won't be as good as Froholdt because the Center position is hard in the NFL - and because Froholdt has now learned from his suckage

Did I get all that right?

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Gaines is going to be a good Center because it's so easy in the NFL to switch rookie Guards to Centers and everybody does it, especially late round draft picks

But the early round draft picks - who actually played and we're successful at the Center position - won't be as good as Froholdt because the Center position is hard in the NFL - and because Froholdt has now learned from his suckage

Did I get all that right?
I honestly think college centers aren't the best players on most OLs in College. The rules favor them, so you can hide a weaker player who happens to be able to snap. How many Centers come out each year that are actually good? And how many Guards become Centers that end up being good? I'd reckon the number is pretty close.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
I honestly think college centers aren't the best players on most OLs in College. The rules favor them, so you can hide a weaker player who happens to be able to snap. How many Centers come out each year that are actually good? And how many Guards become Centers that end up being good? I'd reckon the number is pretty close.
Not me when it comes to Gaines and Schmitz - I see Schmitz as having a waaaaay higher ceiling and chance at being successful in the League as a Center

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not me when it comes to Gaines and Schmitz - I see Schmitz as having a waaaaay higher ceiling and chance at being successful in the League as a Center
I'm not saying they don't exist. There just not many of them. It feels like maybe 1 good center develops a year when was drafted as a center. I could be at off since I actually haven't run the number, but it feels that way.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm not saying they don't exist. They’re just not many of them. It feels like maybe 1 good center develops a year when was drafted as a center. I could be at off since I actually haven't run the number, but it feels that way.
Like QBs, only one center can play at a time, and they’re rarely subbed out. A proven center can play 6-8 years in the NFL.

No real surprise that there isn’t much turnover at the position around the NFL.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
There are a plethora of talking heads who are raving about what Monti has done in this draft. Now a majority of this is about the setup for the 2024 draft. I look at it as generational wealth, if done correctly Monti can keep turning these #1 picks into more and future #1 picks.
Possibly, it could turn out to be huge. If Kyler looks like a franchise QB we might have huge trade back options or if he doesn’t look good we may be in position to get a possible franchise QB. Good options either way for dropping back 3 picks. Nothing is guaranteed.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort