Time to Burn It All Down

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'd tell everyone to mark the date you were a complete tool bag but that's all the dates.

I think you mean 3.8 YPC, and it was actually a respectable 4.3 last year.

It's not about YPC. It's about leadership. Conner is a leader in the locker room. He's a guy that gets people fired up with his words and the way he plays. He gives everything on the field.

You need that on a football team and I'm not dumping it to save $2m next year even if tanking.
He lead us right to a 3-10 record when he was available.

Inspiring. Worth every penny of the $10.445 million cap hold he'll have this year. Maybe he'll also rush for 1000 yards for the first time in his career.

Probably not though.

It's insane that you don't value 2 additional wins but you do find that "leadership" and "Getting people fired up with his words and the way he plays" is extremely valuable in a season you already think is lost.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe there is this much debate over James Conner.

If the Cardinals were going all out to try and win this year, they'd probably cut Conner. If the Cardinals were just trying to rework the roster and stay afloat, they'd probably cut Conner. If we're tanking we should unquestionably cut Conner.

Conner is a below average, overpaid, oft injured running back. He is replacement level.

I would be very surprised if he is on the roster next year.

My guess is the only reason he hasn't been cut yet is because we're seeing if anyone wants him for a late pick.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He lead us right to a 3-10 record when he was available.

Inspiring. Worth every penny of the $10.445 million cap hold he'll have this year. Maybe he'll also rush for 1000 yards for the first time in his career.

Probably not though.

It's insane that you don't value 2 additional wins but you do find that "leadership" and "Getting people fired up with his words and the way he plays" is extremely valuable in a season you already think is lost.

Why would I value 2 additional wins in a losing season? And why would I want to blow all our cap space to achieve that when it could be put to better use the year after?

Why wouldn't I value leadership and effort on a team that's going to struggle for talent for the sake of saving $2m next year?

The team still has to show up on Sunday. They still need to give all they got on the field. We might not have the talent to win 7 games but we need the effort and leadership to win 3 or 4.

Losing season or not, nobody wants to be the first team to go 0-17.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I can't believe there is this much debate over James Conner.

If the Cardinals were going all out to try and win this year, they'd probably cut Conner. If the Cardinals were just trying to rework the roster and stay afloat, they'd probably cut Conner. If we're tanking we should unquestionably cut Conner.

Conner is a below average, overpaid, oft injured running back. He is replacement level.

I would be very surprised if he is on the roster next year.

My guess is the only reason he hasn't been cut yet is because we're seeing if anyone wants him for a late pick.

Nobody is trading for him.

He almost certainly won't be on the roster next year.

The reason he isn't cut is because the money saved is tiny and he's worth more being kept around than the tiny amount saved.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Everyone throwing a fit about Conner and Ertz seems like they're being martyrs to me. "LET'S CUT THESE GUYS FOR THE SAKE OF IT TO SAVE $2M NEXT YEAR BUT PAY $5M IN THE SHORT TERM!"

2 TE sets exist, and what young back are we evaluating with Conner gone? Clement?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Everyone throwing a fit about Conner and Ertz seems like they're being martyrs to me. "LET'S CUT THESE GUYS FOR THE SAKE OF IT TO SAVE $2M NEXT YEAR BUT PAY $5M IN THE SHORT TERM!"

2 TE sets exist, and what young back are we evaluating with Conner gone? Clement?

The Conner one makes no sense. Conner gets supreme hate from some quarters round here. The guy gives his all. They don't really want to cut him to save $2m, they just don't like him and never did.

I think Conner has more to give than Kliff allowed. In the 2nd half of 2021 Conner was a great receiving threat and made a bunch of nice one handed catches. THen last year they barely used him in the passing game.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
The Conner one makes no sense. Conner gets supreme hate from some quarters round here. The guy gives his all. They don't really want to cut him to save $2m, they just don't like him and never did.

I think Conner has more to give than Kliff allowed. In the 2nd half of 2021 Conner was a great receiving threat and made a bunch of nice one handed catches. THen last year they barely used him in the passing game.
I mean, I don't like Conner. Don't think he's very good. But am I cutting him for the sake of cutting him? Nah. He's the best back on the roster, which is a bit of a failing of ours... but still.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys, take a deep breath. It’s only March 16th. there’s a good chance JC and ZE are gone before the trade deadline, maybe sooner.
Maybe a trade during the season gets us SOMETHING in return even if it’s just a couple of 6th round picks.
Everybody is in an uproar of whats happening or what’s going to happen even though everybody understand this season is a total reboot.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I mean, I don't like Conner. Don't think he's very good.
I see a lot of people in this thread saying that. Not sure where this is coming from.

Last year where the offense was a complete disaster and they started over a dozen different OL combinations and 4 different QBs, Conner still averaged 83.3 yards from scrimmage. That average puts him in the top 15 RBs in the league.

In the two years that he played for the Cardinals, Conner has amassed the following:

2209 Yard from Scrimmage
26 Touchdowns

Conner is a big strong back with soft hands out of the backfield. Yes he is not a "burner" but neither is Derrick Henry. Their job is not to beat a Safety to the edge, it's to BEAT the safety into the ground.

Watch the highlights on Youtube from the two seasons that Conner played for the Cardinals and tell me that Conner is "not very good":

2021:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

2022:

Conner is a solid RB on a bad team. He is 27 years old so this is probably his last good season before he will start to decline. He won't have a place on this team in 2024. However I'm tired of people bashing on Conner like he has been some sort of Bust of a RB.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I see a lot of people in this thread saying that. Not sure where this is coming from.

Last year where the offense was a complete disaster and they started over a dozen different OL combinations and 4 different QBs, Conner still averaged 83.3 yards from scrimmage. That average puts him in the top 15 RBs in the league.

In the two years that he played for the Cardinals, Conner has amassed the following:

2209 Yard from Scrimmage
26 Touchdowns

Conner is a big strong back with soft hands out of the backfield. Yes he is not a "burner" but neither is Derrick Henry. Their job is not to beat a Safety to the edge, it's to BEAT the safety into the ground.

Watch the highlights on Youtube from the two seasons that Conner played for the Cardinals and tell me that Conner is "not very good":

2021:

2022:

Conner is a solid RB on a bad team. He is 27 years old so this is probably his last good season before he will start to decline. He won't have a place on this team in 2024. However I'm tired of people bashing on Conner like he has been some sort of Bust of a RB.

Well said.

Conner is an old school RB that can turn 1 yard into 4 and fans like the flashy big play guys that get 2 yards on 50% of their runs but take a couple for 50.

And as you said, he's had one of the worse run blocking units to play behind.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

2209 Yard from Scrimmage
26 Touchdowns

2021:

2022:

Agreed. Never understood all of the criticism. This guy laid it all out there and was very physical. Had some good moments catching the ball as well. The fact we didn’t couple him with a back that could break one isn’t his issue.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Paying $10 million to any RB is absolute insanity.

It's not a personal bias against James Conner. He is what he is: among the most mediocre running backs in the NFL.

It's wild that all the people excusing a second non-competitive season in a row are also demanding that we put respect on James Conner's name. We can clear out an additional $2 million on the 2024 cap by dumping Conner's bad contract now.

Are we eating bad contracts or not?

JohnnyCakes

Miserables
Reaction score
Also, it appears that this tear down/tank is going to be the death of this board.

I cant believe i just read three pages of caps lock arguing about James Conners dead cap hit.

OP
OP
MadCardDisease

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score

How do you propose that Monti gets that $10M back? Is there a way to petition the league or something that I don't know about? Maybe pretend that this contract was never signed or something? Just ignore the contract and maybe it will go away.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score

It's not a personal bias against James Conner. He is what he is: among the most mediocre running backs in the NFL.

It's wild that all the people excusing a second non-competitive season in a row are also demanding that we put respect on James Conner's name. We can clear out an additional $2 million on the 2024 cap by dumping Conner's bad contract now.

Are we eating bad contracts or not?
I want both, but to be honest, if you asked me whether I want to watch a late round rookie and Corey Clement vs James Conner, I'd rather watch Conner.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

I hope not, cuz Clement is 2 years older than Conner...lol

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
How do you propose that Monti gets that $10M back? Is there a way to petition the league or something that I don't know about? Maybe pretend that this contract was never signed or something? Just ignore the contract and maybe it will go away.
This comment is inane. You cut him and save $8.25 million on your payroll and get salary cap flexibility in the future.

You obviously know this. You can just acknowledge your "burn it all down" hypocrisy and say that you're carving out a space for two beloved players. It's fine.

There's no meaningful difference between a James Conner 3-yard run and anyone else's.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose