Last of Us (HBO Max)

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a fantastic last episode. The funny thing is that Nick Offerman almost didn't do the show. His wife Megan Mullally forced him too after reading the script.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
That was just about as good as it gets. What a beautiful story. It made you feel all kinds of emotions

At first I was like HES GONNA KILL YOU, then like WTF, then wow

A rollercoaster. Really impressed

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is simply a notch above anything else like it. Its story driven. Is it me or does it seem to alternate between episodes of story than action? I wonder if that is on purpose.
might be a little too early to tell.

first episode kind of had everything... massive action setpiece to show the end of the world, then world-building, then they get on the road and have a little action at the end.

second episode was pretty much an action driven episode.

third was a straight character episode.

fourth was more like the 2nd.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This show is simply a notch above anything else like it. Its story driven. Is it me or does it seem to alternate between episodes of story than action? I wonder if that is on purpose.
I said the other day that this writing is what the Walkind Dead tried to be and just couldn't get there. And I loved TWD!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
might be a little too early to tell.

first episode kind of had everything... massive action setpiece to show the end of the world, then world-building, then they get on the road and have a little action at the end.

second episode was pretty much an action driven episode.

third was a straight character episode.

fourth was more like the 2nd.
My wife who doesn't like these shows at all is watching it with me which says something. Naturally her favorite episode was the third one. One thing she keeps asking me? Are these locations all real sets? That's how good some of the CGI is on this show which is sort of overlooked because of how good the storytelling is so far.

SpokaneCardfan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My wife who doesn't like these shows at all is watching it with me which says something. Naturally her favorite episode was the third one. One thing she keeps asking me? Are these locations all real sets? That's how good some of the CGI is on this show which is sort of overlooked because of how good the storytelling is so far.
yes! My wife could not watch TWD because of the Walkers and gore. I like how this show doesn't rely completely on it and it is still entertaining. She really likes this and keeps asking when the next episode is on.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought that myself several times throughout the season so far.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They don't use real sets, but they base them on real enough places and get details right. Easy to pick Pittsburgh out in the last episode!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They don't use real sets, but they base them on real enough places and get details right. Easy to pick Pittsburgh out in the last episode!
I knew that but she was wondering if they were using abandoned areas. That says a lot about how good the FX are.

OP
OP
bankybruce

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The after credits interview said it was KC and the filmed on location there. They said in the game it was Pittsburgh, but had to change it based on the updated story.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The after credits interview said it was KC and the filmed on location there. They said in the game it was Pittsburgh, but had to change it based on the updated story.
We are talking about the wide shots that show the cities dilapidated.

Stout

Reaction score
Yep, the wide shots only showed Pittsburgh. It's neat that the original game had it in the 'Burgh, though. I guess it's a bit of a logical inconsistency to have them go through Pittsburgh at all? Maybe just a nod to the game.

Edit: Actually, Google Maps show Western PA near Pittsburgh would make sense! But of course there would be no need to enter the city, and it would be out of the way; they'd stay on I-70. Still cool, though.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there are real locations, and the wife knows the knocked down buildings were obviously not real. However, there are some shots where they are just driving, or you see a landscape of stuff that looks abandoned that looks incredibly realistic. Those are the shots she was asking about. It's incredible CGI which makes me wonder how much this show is costing.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I know there are real locations, and the wife knows the knocked down buildings were obviously not real. However, there are some shots where they are just driving, or you see a landscape of stuff that looks abandoned that looks incredibly realistic. Those are the shots she was asking about. It's incredible CGI which makes me wonder how much this show is costing.

Like $10+ million per episode.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
That was just about as good as it gets. What a beautiful story. It made you feel all kinds of emotions

At first I was like HES GONNA KILL YOU, then like WTF, then wow

A rollercoaster. Really impressed
This show is more than I expected it to be. Never played the video game. In fact, don’t ever recall even hearing about it. But this is presently my favorite show.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
man I was mixed. Didnt trust dude in the pit, then I got a ping over dinner, bigger ping at the piano..
thing is, my brain is wired differently than others I guess because every time I see an intimate scene my mind inserts me in the appropriate spot in the scene... in scenes like that one my brain kinda shorts because I keep bouncing from one to the other all while being exceedingly creeped out. fortunately it didnt last too long or get too detailed. But what followed?
wow. The world is gone, destroyed, over run by mutants and more deadly than it has ever been... in the midst of what should have been a disaster, two people found each other. They found the one...and together they carved out their own piece of the world based on love, peace, and joy. It was honestly the most beautiful episode of television I think I have ever seen. although it was easy to predict the wine scene that was okay. It was expected because thats the way it had to be. Their world was Bill & Frank,...not Bill or Frank. I was actually surprised there was so much of the episode remaining.
and the mutants? They are just so much an afterthought in this show so far. I mean, a plague could have just killed 90 percent of the world population and the world would be the same. except you avoid the dark places because nature is taking back over the world and there are wolves, lions, and grizzly bears living in those buildings.
this show so far is nothing like what I expected... was thinking about trying the game so I can see what to expect.

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The games are fantastic and have way more zombies of course. It's not quite a shoot em up game, but the story is still strong. LOU is generally about relationships and love etc, etc in an apocalypse.

One major difference is the "hive mind" or the neural connections of the fungus that is not present in the game.

Stout

Reaction score
You know, one thing I was bothered by in the episode but then forgot about because how good it was had to be the clear roads. Yeah, that was pretty bad. Especially in Pittsburgh, ain't no way those bridges aren't congested with busted cars lol

It's the difference between quality and crap, though. Same problem in War of the Worlds, but because the movie sucked, it really stands out. LoU is great, so it can be overlooked. Disbelief can be suspended there.

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
You know, one thing I was bothered by in the episode but then forgot about because how good it was had to be the clear roads. Yeah, that was pretty bad. Especially in Pittsburgh, ain't no way those bridges aren't congested with busted cars lol

It's the difference between quality and crap, though. Same problem in War of the Worlds, but because the movie sucked, it really stands out. LoU is great, so it can be overlooked. Disbelief can be suspended there.

I guessed you missed when Joel explained exactly why the roads were clear: FEDRA came through with tanks (and probably bulldozers) to clear a path for themselves. Which is why the cars on the roads they traveled on seemed like they were neatly pushed off to the sides.

Joel explained it because Ellie asked the exact same question you asked.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guessed you missed when Joel explained exactly why the roads were clear: FEDRA came through with tanks (and probably bulldozers) to clear a path for themselves. Which is why the cars on the roads they traveled on seemed like they were neatly pushed off to the sides.

Joel explained it because Ellie asked the exact same question you asked.
Yep. The military would still need the freedom to move around. Makes perfect sense they would clear roads where they traveled. Plus, it was located near a QZ which they also covered.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose