The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rumor is Brazil is prepping an offer for Guardiola and Mexico is showing interest as well. I didn’t realize he just signed an extension of around $20 million a season less than a month ago.

He has said on multiple occasions he wants to coach a national team someday, a Federation will just have to match his salary.
They will have to do much more than match his salary. Why would he leave the best club team in the world?

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Especially the U.S. National team. Now if the Spain job were to open up...
Seems like a post club team aspiration to me...the national schedule/demands are just such a different world.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because he has specifically mentioned he wants to coach a national team someday? Not speculation but his own words.
Someday is the key word. Unless a team like Saudi Arabia is going to throw Ronaldo money at him, (200M) he won't leave his current post to coach a team like the USMNT.

Let's look at this another way. He can choose any team in the world outside of maybe France. Why would he choose a team with marginal talent like us?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Someday is the key word. Unless a team like Saudi Arabia is going to throw Ronaldo money at him, (200M) he won't leave his current post to coach a team like the USMNT.

Let's look at this another way. He can choose any team in the world outside of maybe France. Why would he choose a team with marginal talent like us?

If the US ponies up money comparable to what he is making now, he'd leave, they likely won't since he makes about 3 times more than the highest paid national team manager at the WC but it isn't impossible. But if he had a similar offer on the table from Brazil yeah sure he'd take that instead.

National Team managers have a less burdensome schedule than Club Managers. He'd manage maybe 20 matches a year.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the US ponies up money comparable to what he is making now, he'd leave, they likely won't since he makes about 3 times more than the highest paid national team manager at the WC but it isn't impossible. But if he had a similar offer on the table from Brazil yeah sure he'd take that instead.

National Team managers have a less burdensome schedule than Club Managers. He'd manage maybe 20 matches a year.
I guess I agree to disagree.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
No way Pep or Zidane manage the USA. and I would pass on Roberto Martinez, he failed to put Belgium over the line and they should have lifted at least one euro or WC with the talent that they had. Berhalter has to go, his comments about Reyna, off the record or not, show his true management ability, which is poor in my opinion. There is no mending that relationship now and Reyna has a lot more promising of a future for USA than Berhalter does.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Jesse Marsch is the obvious manager that the players and USA fans would want. its hard to imagine that he will want to leave Leeds. I wouldn't want to leave, but with the up and down nature of their club, you could see a circumstance where maybe Leeds or Marsch would want to go in a different direction. maybe his lack of job security, ties to some of the American players, and his love for his country could make him think about leaving England. and I don't know if its just me, but I get the sense that there are some Leeds fans and some English pundits do not appreciate Marsch's sideline antics. Of corse if Marsch continues to get results at Leeds I think that will change.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
for 2026, I find it interesting that Chicago will not be hosting a World Cup match? Also how does the heat factor into the WC 2026? Miami is hosting and that is open air. It can also get hot in the northern cities. Thankfully, there will be some climate controlled stadiums.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
for 2026, I find it interesting that Chicago will not be hosting a World Cup match? Also how does the heat factor into the WC 2026? Miami is hosting and that is open air. It can also get hot in the northern cities. Thankfully, there will be some climate controlled stadiums.

Chicago didn't bid to be a host site. I was paying close attention to that location since I was working in Chicago at the time and I was worried I was going to be stuck planning some of the security for that if I was still there.

Miami is going to suck in the summer for everyone involved and I am sure the 3 stadiums in Mexico aren't going to be much fun either.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Chicago didn't bid to be a host site. I was paying close attention to that location since I was working in Chicago at the time and I was worried I was going to be stuck planning some of the security for that if I was still there.

Miami is going to suck in the summer for everyone involved and I am sure the 3 stadiums in Mexico aren't going to be much fun either.
Yep. I know cities like Denver and Phoenix were concerned that they were going to have to pay fees to FIFA if they went through the bid process, even if they weren't selected to be host cities. They decided it wasn't worth it. Not sure if Chicago was the same, but I wouldn't be surprised.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Mexico City should be fine - with some potential rain impact and of course the altitude & air

Guadalajara should be warm, but not too bad

Monterrey will be hot

I think all those cities have hosted before

I'm sure with most of the host cities there is potential for a hot front to come through and make life uncomfortable

I get the "why" of Miami - but the actual games could be a nightmare between them heat and rain

We may end up seeing some interesting start times in some places as well

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Tyler Adams let it slip that the US will be playing Copa America.

'Now leading into this World Cup, we have some big tournaments... we have the Nations League, we're going to have the opportunity to play in the Copa America which is going to be huge for us,'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-USMNT-invited-play-2024-Copa-America-as.html
their goal should be to make the final. if you want to win a World Cup or at least be a threat, I think you have to do well in this type of tournament. or you could be Italy and win the Euro and not qualify. thankfully USA don't have to qualify this time, but they really need to go for it in their USA camps.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
An incident over 30 years ago when he was in college is what someone was trying to blackmail him over? That's crazy, especially considering he married the woman and there have been no reports beyond that one.

I want him gone too but this is just stupid.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
That was the rumor yesterday - that the wives played together and were even roommates for a time and that Mrs Reyna was upset about the WC decision

Looks like they are pointing at the Mr

Is US Soccer big time enough to now have such tabloid drama?!

What a crap show

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Danielle Reyna did release a statement shortly after ESPN's report on Wednesday, taking responsibility for informing US Soccer of Berhalter's past but denies making any threats.

'To set the record straight, I did call (US Soccer sporting director) Earnie Stewart on December 11, just after the news broke that Gregg had made negative statements about my son Gio at a leadership conference,' she said in a statement on Wednesday.

'I have known Earnie for years and consider him to be a close friend. I wanted to let him know that I was absolutely outraged and devastated that Gio had been put in such a terrible position, and that I felt very personally betrayed by the actions of someone my family had considered a friend for decades.

'As part of that conversation, I told Earnie that I thought it was especially unfair that Gio, who had apologized for acting immaturely about his playing time, was still being dragged through the mud when Gregg had asked for and received forgiveness for doing something so much worse at the same age.

Soccer Mom of the highest level.