The Official US Soccer thread

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Interesting. Proper talented teams in these friendlies. I love that the US is starting to play against better competition on a more regular basis.

Speaking of Copa America. I would love if CONCACAF and CONMEBOL (sp) would put together a competition every 4 years like the Euros. I can't believe that this hasn't happened yet.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Interesting. Proper talented teams in these friendlies. I love that the US is starting to play against better competition on a more regular basis.

Speaking of Copa America. I would love if CONCACAF and CONMEBOL (sp) would put together a competition every 4 years like the Euros. I can't believe that this hasn't happened yet.

The January camp normally doesn't have much in the way of European based players on it. For years it was called "camp cupcake" because it was pretty much fringe and MLS players because they are outside of a FIFA Match window and clubs are under no obligation to release players. I don't think we will be at full strength and neither will the other squads.

I always thought the same thing regarding a North/Central/South America tournament along the line of the Euros.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The January camp normally doesn't have much in the way of European based players on it. For years it was called "camp cupcake" because it was pretty much fringe and MLS players because they are outside of a FIFA Match window and clubs are under no obligation to release players. I don't think we will be at full strength and neither will the other squads.

I always thought the same thing regarding a North/Central/South America tournament along the line of the Euros.
I don't think so either. You have to assume that the B team of a team like Columbia would still be a better test for us vs a team like Nicaragua

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That was the rumor yesterday - that the wives played together and were even roommates for a time and that Mrs Reyna was upset about the WC decision

Looks like they are pointing at the Mr

Is US Soccer big time enough to now have such tabloid drama?!

What a crap show
this crap show was obvious because Gio wasn't playing and we were all like WTF? now we obviously know that there was some type of tension between Claudio Reyna and Berhalter and maybe that is why Gio wasn't playing IDK.

this isn't the first USA crap show. the 1998 team had a major scandal, but the manager actually squashed it. they ended up losing all three matches and he died on his sword. I think in the moment it wasn't a talking point because no one on the outside really understood what was happening behind the scenes. and the 1998 team was trash so I guess no one really cared.

I think what the Reyna's did was wrong. especially the parents. Gio is young and you can understand his mistakes. at the end of the day he should be starting for the USA squad because he's better than most of the players that Berhalter was putting out there. I can't understand why Berhalter made comments about Reyna after the tournament, I think he should have been fired for that on the spot. But what the Reyna parents did was even worse in my opinion because it was just trashy. I think some of these USA players parents need to shut up and let their kids be adults. Berhalter needed to go regardless. but now he may struggle to find a job and that is unfortunate.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I do think that there is still that "sense of entitlement" that exists in the US Soccer culture that is holding them back from being as competitive as they should be. I think it has gotten better with these younger players, but we've seen it too much over the years and maybe that's why the older/former US Soccer players aren't the ones that should be leading this squad. it's a rich man's game in the USA. If you have a certain name or reputation, you just get the sense that you are getting a footpath to the senior team no matter what your current form is as a player or senior level manager. and that is not a good thing.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do think that there is still that "sense of entitlement" that exists in the US Soccer culture that is holding them back from being as competitive as they should be. I think it has gotten better with these younger players, but we've seen it too much over the years and maybe that's why the older/former US Soccer players aren't the ones that should be leading this squad. it's a rich man's game in the USA. If you have a certain name or reputation, you just get the sense that you are getting a footpath to the senior team no matter what your current form is as a player or senior level manager. and that is not a good thing.
That happens all over the world though. Those with a name get a place.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
US Soccer is just a gross failure. It needs a complete overhaul.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
US Soccer is just a gross failure. It needs a complete overhaul.
It is starting

Berhalter is out

Pretty disgusting as it seems like the Reyna's tactics worked in some part. They still had to renew his contract, but damn.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
It is starting

Berhalter is out

Pretty disgusting as it seems like the Reyna's tactics worked in some part. They still had to renew his contract, but damn.
This doesn't make anything final, does it? My understanding is that the guy appointed is temporary, I hadn't heard anything that Berhalter was out.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This doesn't make anything final, does it? My understanding is that the guy appointed is temporary, I hadn't heard anything that Berhalter was out.
His contract was out at the end of 2022 so he would have needed to be re-signed. If they were going to re-sign him, why hire a fill in?

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Pepi has told Groningen’s Kon Veel Minder podcast of his reaction to being informed by Berhalter that he would not be in the USMNT squad for a trip to the Middle East: “I remember exactly the moment - I hopped on a phone call with national team coach, he said I wasn't on the roster so then I just hung up the phone on him.”

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Lorenzo

Reaction score
That happens all over the world though. Those with a name get a place.
Yes it does. I just think historically some of the USA players were not forced to compete as fiercely for club and country when compared to other nations. England have a similar issue with entitled players, but they also have competition at multiple tiers/leagues. I do think that USA is getting better. This is a weird situation with Reyna/berhalter, but the sky is not falling.

Last edited:

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I understand it. But still unprofessional on Pepi’s part. And he should be asking why he was left off so that he can get or give feedback to make his chances better for the next cycle. The incoming coach needs to work on the maturity level of this team. Understandably they are all very young.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Berhalter is such a joke. Jordan Morris--JORDAN MORRIS--over Pepi? And then he PLAYS Jordan Morris, multiple times? Yes, Pepi could've handled it better. Were it myself, I would have asked who was going above me, then I would have flipped the eff out.
yeah and I think that is probably why pepi and gio were pissed at berhalter. berhalter should never be allowed to return. he is bruce arena 2.0 and I pray that US Soccer learn from that stupidity. if anything I welcome this scandal because it ensures that US Soccer moves on and doesn't settle for keeping an average manager.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
yeah and I think that is probably why pepi and gio were pissed at berhalter. berhalter should never be allowed to return. he is bruce arena 2.0 and I pray that US Soccer learn from that stupidity. if anything I welcome this scandal because it ensures that US Soccer moves on and doesn't settle for keeping an average manager.
Berhalter isn’t in the same stratosphere as Bruce Arena, that’s an insult to Bruce.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Berhalter isn’t in the same stratosphere as Bruce Arena, that’s an insult to Bruce.
I’m not a fan. He had a great team in 2002. The best in us history. And he was awful in 2006 and should never have been hired for the 2018 campaign.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Best coach the US ever had period.
I guess I’ve let the 2018 cycle get to me. The 2002 results speak for themselves and they were robbed of a goal against Germany in that quarterfinal.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I guess I’ve let the 2018 cycle get to me. The 2002 results speak for themselves and they were robbed of a goal against Germany in that quarterfinal.

I think he was put in a no win situation in 2018. That team was just toast for some reason, they lacked the grit of previous US teams, JK had a huge role in that to be honest.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I think he was put in a no win situation in 2018. That team was just toast for some reason, they lacked the grit of previous US teams, JK had a huge role in that to be honest.
JK did, yes, but the players also bear a massive responsibility. The sense of entitlement/lack of effort was gross.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose