2022 World Cup Thread

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Too bad Davies couldn't convert that early penalty. They had a lot of tries, but Belgium scored convincingly when it mattered. This is the first time I've been able to cheer for the Canadian men in the World Cup so I'm still excited. I'm cheering for the U.S. too, as any good dual citizen would.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Too bad Davies couldn't convert that early penalty. They had a lot of tries, but Belgium scored convincingly when it mattered. This is the first time I've been able to cheer for the Canadian men in the World Cup so I'm still excited. I'm cheering for the U.S. too, as any good dual citizen would.
I thought Canada was pretty good against the number 3 team in the world. That is such a weird group, Canada would have been better served getting at least a point.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Canada went toe to toe with Belgium. I think Canada are a notch above USA and Mexico in CONCACAF. France, England and Spain aside, it seems like goals are hard to come by for everyone right now and the penalty take by Davies was not good.

Raindog

I didn't come here to be liked!
Reaction score
With all of the early upsets, it's more clear to me that soccer is likely approaching basketball in that there is more and more parity among national teams as time goes on. World soccer used to be dominated by basically a few nations from just two continents, but that may soon cease to be true.

As with basketball, as the popularity of it has spread, there are now far more competitive national sides from just about every continent, and even some of the former also-rans from Europe and South America can pull upsets against the traditional powers from those continents. More parity is an inevitable outcome of the growth of any sport worldwide.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
With all of the early upsets, it's more clear to me that soccer is likely approaching basketball in that there is more and more parity among national teams as time goes on. World soccer used to be dominated by basically a few nations from just two continents, but that may soon cease to be true.

As with basketball, as the popularity of it has spread, there are now far more competitive national sides from just about every continent, and even some of the former also-rans from Europe and South America can pull upsets against the traditional powers from those continents. More parity is an inevitable outcome of the growth of any sport worldwide.
absolutely, and make no mistake the big nations like Brazil, Argentina, and England are also as good as they've ever been with the collection of players that they have playing in Europe for top level clubs 2-3 days per week. Watching Brazil vs Serbia was entertaining. and English commentators must of absolutely loved Richarlison's goal....surely Jamie Carragher is complaining.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Serbia really went after Neymar in that game, I know he's a flopper as well. I think FIFA need to do better protecting top players from being targeted like that.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Iran scores twice in stoppage time and beats Wales!

A 0-0 draw would have been best for the US but a Wales loss isn’t bad either. If the US beats Iran and England beats or ties Wales the result against England today won’t matter.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
On the flip side, Iran can park the bus and play for a draw and get through if the US doesn’t get at least a draw today.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Iran scores twice in stoppage time and beats Wales!

A 0-0 draw would have been best for the US but a Wales loss isn’t bad either. If the US beats Iran and England beats or ties Wales the result against England today won’t matter.
This is a disastrous result for the U.S. See your below post. Needing to get anything in today's game is bad news.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
This is a disastrous result for the U.S. See your below post. Needing to get anything in today's game is bad news.

They don't HAVE to get a result today. If they can't beat Iran in the third match they don't deserve to advance to be honest

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
The US needs to win one of their last two games or they will go home. Two draws will not get them enough points (3) versus Iran (4) if they draw their last two games. If the US loses today then Iran becomes a must win and goal differential probably comes into play, right now Iran sits at -2 and the US at 0. If it goes to goals scored, Iran sits at 4 to US 1 as of right now.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
good first half by USA. really they all looked good and I like how they are running at England. unlucky not to be up a goal. the US ran out of steam against Wales in the 2nd half so that is a concern the way that they are playing, I hope that berhalter stays aggressive and does better with his subs in this game.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
oh man Berhalter took dest off, I think he might of been the best US player today

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah.

Dest was really good.

England getting the edge of substitutions.

Not at all mad at this game though.

Wondering why Wright is still on

I'd be comfortable with Reyna coming in for weah as well