2022 World Cup Thread

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I wonder if Reyna could fill it?
I think Reyna or Aaronson could. Berhalter would have to take Sargent or Wright off and I think he is going to go with Sargent. There were many times where Pulisic was running through asking for the ball and it never came to him. I think they need to work on playing each other through on time.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Yeah that was odd, you never know what could happen if you just boom something into the box. and apparently the American fans did boo that sequence. the set pieces are so poor. Pulisic did better with his corners, but there were several that he kicked strait to McGuire and some of those kicks everyone were just standing around.
Yeah, one of those corners fell right into a dangerous area in the middle of the box--where there were no US players to be found! I turned to my friend and said (shouted--was at an official watch party): Why isn't anybody attacking the damn ball?

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Iran has no incentive to win, which will make it incredibly difficult for us to do more than draw. I just hope we draw enough confidence from this incredible performance that it carries forward.
A Wales win would have made the path forward more difficult, we not only would have to win we'd have to hope that Wales didn't lose or had a draw and we beat them on goal differential. That is why an Iran win was preferable (a draw would have been ideal though).

I am much more comfortable in win and we are in scenario than a win by X number of goals and hope the other match goes our way.

Imagine had that score line been reversed we'd be looking at England 4 pts +4, Wales 4 pts +2, US 2 pts 0, Iran 0 pts -6. That would suck--we could win and still be out as the other match could decide our fate.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Argentina looks very ordinary. There isn't anything special to them--at least so far with about 40 minutes to play against Mexico.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Messi scores 1-0 Argentina. 20 minutes left

Lots of tension in this game.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Argentina looks very ordinary. There isn't anything special to them--at least so far with about 40 minutes to play against Mexico.

Spoke too soon, now up 2-0 and that second goal was fantastic.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
If Argentina gets out of their group I don't see them going very far. They just don't look like teams of the past.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
If Argentina gets out of their group I don't see them going very far. They just don't look like teams of the past.
That and Mexico are the worst they’ve been in a long time. Brazil are more impressive than Argentina at this point. Even without neymar.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Strange happenings continue, Japan beats Germany then loses to Costa Rica who gave up 7 to Spain in their previous match. Proves that anything can happen in this tournament.

Stout

Reaction score
Strange happenings continue, Japan beats Germany then loses to Costa Rica who gave up 7 to Spain in their previous match. Proves that anything can happen in this tournament.
God, I hadn't seen the final of that Spain game. 7? Damn!

Crazy enough, Costa Rica would advance if they beat Germany, more than likely.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Commentators mentioned that Hutchinson is the second-oldest outfield player to appear in the World Cup. I should have tried out because I’ve got him by like six years. I bet I feel 3x as old.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Croatia’s kits are such a delight. Both US and Canada are so inoffensive. I wish Canada had like a version of their Canada Cup hockey jerseys, and the US modernized this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Okay kidding, but I do think stars are something the US can own.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I wanted to see Canada do well in this tournament, super disappointing today.

Western Font

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It’s disappointing, but still exciting . The women led the way, and the culture is already different. Similar to basketball, where there’s a lot of talent. The country is a quarter immigrant, and soccer and basketball are growing in relation to hockey, baseball, and North American football.

Edit: I love those sports too, but am also exited to cheer in more world tournaments.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Something I read today since winning the WC in 2014 Germany has only won 1 WC game. Worse yet, since winning the WC in 2006 Italy has only won 1 WC game, they failed to qualify in the past 2.

Honestly, I’d probably take that trade…one WC Trophy in my lifetime would be awesome.

Stout

Reaction score
Another high-scoring affair! What does the second half of Brazil/Switzerland hold? Can they start scoring like the first two games today?

Edit: Brazil literally scored the moment I hit the button lol

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pretty certain Ronaldo never touched that they're now saying it was a Fernandez goal but Ronaldo being who he is, is still acting like he touched it

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pretty certain Ronaldo never touched that they're now saying it was a Fernandez goal but Ronaldo being who he is, is still acting like he touched it
To be fair just about every striker claims that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose