2022 World Cup Thread

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
6-1 and they are adding 10 minutes of extra time. 14 minutes added at the end of the first half.

That's ridiculous -- they are doing it simply because they are afraid the games are going to be too short. In a 6-1 game, that feels especially cruel to the losers.
The 14 at the end of the 1st half were necessary as there was a ton of time wasted with the bad handling of the concussed player. The 10 minutes at the end of the game...cruel is spot on, even though Iran got a goal at the end.

Who'd have thunk that England would score 6 and Kane wouldn't be on the score sheet? So much for my parley lol

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Here we go.

Sargent starts for the US otherwise it is exactly what most people expected. Having Reyna and Aaronson running at people with tired legs late in a match could be huge.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Not surprised Sargent gets the nod with his form at Norwich. But he needs to capitalize on this opportunity.

Stout

Reaction score
Here we go.

Sargent starts for the US otherwise it is exactly what most people expected. Having Reyna and Aaronson running at people with tired legs late in a match could be huge.
Sargent at striker JFC this isn't a good sign. If he's our best hope, we are doomed. I'd much rather have played with a false 9.

Ream? Eh, it is what it is.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Berhalter hasn't done anything wrong so far. I am a bit surprised.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
I get SO nervous when the US plays in the WC, until we score.

The US is just clearly a better team, need to keep it up in the second half. Early sub for McKennie maybe (he appeared to have a knock) ? Reyna or Aaronson are both viable options there.

Stout

Reaction score
I'm surprised at just how dominant we've been. The possession % is unreal.
I expected that part of it. I didn't expect us to do much with it. Wales does well when they park the bus, absorb pressure, then snap at you on the counter. Problem is, they're at panic stations when they win the ball back. Well, it's a problem for them; it's great for us lol

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Need to score at least 3 against Iran, and hopefully get a goal vs England. That should guarantee a tiebreaker to us vs Wales at the end of the group round.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AAAARRRRRRGHHHHH

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Dumb tackle by Zimmerman on Bale as his back was toward the goal and was not an immediate danger to score and he should have just forced him to play back , instead he goes in for a horrible tackle. It's about time they started adding proper stoppage time minutes.

The ref was handing out yellows like candy on Halloween.

A good first 45 minutes and a typical second 45 minutes for the US.

A draw against England would be a miracle for the US. The US needs to fill the net against Iran who looked quite unorganized for most of their game. You can bet Wales is going to get at least 3 goals against Iran. I think the results of the England/Wales and England/US games will decide who comes out number two with goal differential being the deciding factor. I don't see England drawing with both Wales and the US.

The path for the US just got harder with the results today.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The lack of second half adjustments was glaring. Wales made adjustments and we didn’t. The only sub I really question is Jordan Morris the others made sense but I probably would have subbed sooner.

Now we will be worrying about goal diff.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I agree that the extra time is something the ref did get right, there was blatant time wasting by both sides. the soft yellow cards backfired on the ref when he was scared to pull them on real yellow's late. that's why you don't pull yellow's early like that and you talk with the players. Wales were working the ref the entire first half. overall I thought it was an exciting match. I think the USA initially played a lot better than expected only to sit back for too long in the second half when they should have been playing for a 2nd goal. that is what cost them IMO. now you have to somehow get a result against England which doesn't look likely right now. but I wouldn't count them out.