2022 World Cup Thread

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah. Real lack of understanding at the end there.

Really wanted the win, but a lot of good there.

Also a lot of moments where it was clear that these guys just haven't played much together

Robinson, Dest and McKennie really showed out as well IMO

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
2 matches 2 draws

Defense is playing way better than I had expected going in to the tournament. Ream might be the best US player after 2 matches, he is just so composed despite his obvious athletic limitations.

The lack of a striker is an issue though, did anyone notice Haji Wright do anything today?

Lorenzo

Reaction score
the broadcast mentioned taking dest and McKennie off for card management so I understand it, but dest was really wearing England on that right side. shaq Moore had opportunities but clearly he did not want the ball.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
2 matches 2 draws

Defense is playing way better than I had expected going in to the tournament. Ream might be the best US player after 2 matches, he is just so composed despite his obvious athletic limitations.

The lack of a striker is an issue though, did anyone notice Haji Wright do anything today?
no haji wright did nothing aside from earning one corner that I recall.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
Yeah. Striker continues to be a big issue. There are a couple moments of hold up or physically play coming back...... But I'm not sure enough to justify keeping much more talented players on the bench opposed to just running a false 9

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Win against Iran gets us through.

A draw and Wales loss gets us through on Goal Differential.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
At least we get the weakest group opponent last.

I was worried about a Wales win today and a US loss, that would have meant it came down to Goal Differential in the last match.

OP
OP
Zeno

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah. Striker continues to be a big issue. There are a couple moments of hold up or physically play coming back...... But I'm not sure enough to justify keeping much more talented players on the bench opposed to just running a false 9

I think Berhalter is too stubborn to consider that, he shouldn't be. I think against an opponent that may bunker having guys who can attack with the dribble might be better suited than a target forward. Players who go at guys with the ball at their feet also create more free kick opportunities too. Get a lead and bring in that target forward when the opponent is trying to push for that tying goal.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think Berhalter is too stubborn to consider that, he shouldn't be. I think against an opponent that may bunker having guys who can attack with the dribble might be better suited than a target forward. Players who go at guys with the ball at their feet also create more free kick opportunities too. Get a lead and bring in that target forward when the opponent is trying to push for that tying goal.
I agree with putting your best lineup out there for Iran and with the way McKennie, Musah, Adams, and Dest played today it gives me hope for this team if they can continue that. It was great to see Dest and McKennie visibly upset when they came off, because both seemed keen on scoring or creating a goal.

I think berhalter made some really stubborn choices with his selection. We all agree about Jordan Morris, but I also don't know why Berhalter just completely divorced with John Brooks when Brooks offers so much going forward and on set pieces. For me he is as good or better of a defender compared to Zimmerman. I think berhalter just fancies certain players and that's what it comes down to. Zimmerman's defending was good today and give him credit for saving a goal, but Zimmerman was probably our worst player today with several turnovers. Tim Ream, Dest, GK Matt Turner, and Tyler Adams did a great job building play out of the back.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
No.

A draw would put us at 3 points, Iran at 4.

England beating Wales puts them in on 7
that's my fear, Iran know they can get in on a draw. England will now feel pressure to beat Wales and they should, but if England's form is what it was today who knows what can happen. Iran will be well aware of the USA's struggles to score goals so it's interesting to find out if they will play to that or if they will go after USA. this has that Algeria feeling from 2010.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
I thought it was a good overall effort today. Most complete game they have played in a while now. If you watched the post game Lalas addressed that there is no one either on the field nor on the bench that will provide solid play at striker. The US team just doesn't have anyone capable of filling that spot. I also think it's time to put Pulisic in the box and have someone else take corners.

I simply find it astonishing that we can't find one player in the entire US capable of playing striker.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I thought it was a good overall effort today. Most complete game they have played in a while now. If you watched the post game Lalas addressed that there is no one either on the field nor on the bench that will provide solid play at striker. The US team just doesn't have anyone capable of filling that spot. I also think it's time to put Pulisic in the box and have someone else take corners.

I simply find it astonishing that we can't find one player in the entire US capable of playing striker.
Yeah I think at this point I would put Pulisic in that role.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
English media and fans are ripping Southgate. I heard someone say it was a "southgateish" performance lol. I always find it interesting how when England get a good result the commentators get so excited and the talk before this game was the USA had no chance. It reminds me of being a cowboys fan.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
They don't HAVE to get a result today. If they can't beat Iran in the third match they don't deserve to advance to be honest
Iran has no incentive to win, which will make it incredibly difficult for us to do more than draw. I just hope we draw enough confidence from this incredible performance that it carries forward.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I was utterly convinced we were going to win it on a back post header there. Then they didn't even put the ball in the box. Ugh.
Yeah that was odd, you never know what could happen if you just boom something into the box. and apparently the American fans did boo that sequence. the set pieces are so poor. Pulisic did better with his corners, but there were several that he kicked strait to McGuire and some of those kicks everyone were just standing around.